W's on my transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bahmed816

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I transferred to the University I am currently attending I was at a community college near home. During my time there I was not really sure what I wanted to do. I was being pulled in a lot of different directions and had a lot of people in my ear about what I was doing.

My first college semester (mind you I was 17 at the time) I took and dropped Anatomy and Physiology. Took the first part and dropped it. Ended up taking it again and getting a C. Took A&PII and dropped it. Took it again and got a B.

In addition to those 2, I have a couple random W's. One was a developmental psychology class that I registered for and dropped during the first week of class. I was able to drop it online, but it never went through (so im told). Few weeks pass and to my surprise, I was still somehow registered for the class. I never stepped foot into that course, as I already picked up a different class. After arguing with student records and explaining that I dropped the class online during the first couple days class started, they said there was nothing they could do and not only did they make me pay for the class, I got another W.

My 4th W on my transcript was in Biomedical terminology. I knew this class would be helpful, but I was just really having a difficult time with it. Hindsight I should have just gutted it out, but I didnt know that W's were a big deal...I was pretty young.

----

Im now 22 and finishing up at a University. My grades are good, and have a good upward trend. I dont anticipate dropping another class. I am just concerned that my community college transcript looks like crap.

TL;DR -- I have 4 w's in non pre-requisite classes at a community college where I was unsure of what I was doing. Now transferred at a University and doing well. Will these W's play a major factor?

Members don't see this ad.

you will be fine.

The only one they will look at critically at are the A&P ones and even then it shouldn't matter too much. I withdrew from A&P I and retook it and have about 4 other random W's (2 from when I was in HS) on my transcript and I've been getting interview invites. I don't think W's are bad at all unless you get excessive with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ws mean nothing. How does a school differentiate between dropping due to poor grades and dropping because of a scheduling conflict?

Ws mean nothing. How does a school differentiate between dropping due to poor grades and dropping because of a scheduling conflict?

At my school there is a drop deadline...why would you drop due to a scheduling conflict halfway into the quarter?

At my school there is a drop deadline...why would you drop due to a scheduling conflict halfway into the quarter?

Our drop and withdraw deadlines come up pretty fast...I think drop is the first week of class and withdraw is the first month. I've withdrawn from feeling overwhelmed by my course schedule before and wanting to focus on doing well in the other courses. No tests had even been given yet in the one class I withdrew from. So, obviously, they can see that for whatever reason you decided not to finish out the course now and I guess they can infer whatever they want about how many courses you can handle (especially if you withdraw repeatedly)..but I would agree that they can't really fairly assume that you are failing.

Our drop and withdraw deadlines come up pretty fast...I think drop is the first week of class and withdraw is the first month. I've withdrawn from feeling overwhelmed by my course schedule before and wanting to focus on doing well in the other courses. No tests had even been given yet in the one class I withdrew from. So, obviously, they can see that for whatever reason you decided not to finish out the course now and I guess they can infer whatever they want about how many courses you can handle (especially if you withdraw repeatedly)..but I would agree that they can't really fairly assume that you are failing.

Yeah I don't think W's are too big of a deal, but it would definitely help to have a good GPA

Transcripts don't show drop dates.

Transcripts don't show drop dates.

I think you misunderstood my comment, I was saying that there are drop deadlines, and it seems like poor judgment if you dropped a class late enough to get a W, when you had a good 10-25 days to figure out if you could handle the course load. Of course, there are always extenuating circumstances, but sometimes it doesn't really matter what the reason is.