WSU c/o 2017 Applicants!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also not sure if this takes me out of the running for admission into WSU non regional program.

I believe that this is actually the official name of the program now, unless you were accepted into Utah, there is no non-regional program here at WSU.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am new to this board. I have been frantically checking my email and mailbox for word from WSU.... but so far nothing.

Does anyone know when/if more interview invites will be sent out? I know both OOS and IS people got notice Friday and Saturday of last week. I am hoping there is still hope?

Congrats to all with the invites -- well done!

Nicolle

Can't wait to see you all on campus in a few short months! Don't sweat the interview- the interview is by far the easiest part. The waiting afterwards is a different story...

LUCK to everyone out there! I love Wazzu's program :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm IS and got my interview email on Monday. Soooo excited!

Good luck to everyone who got interviews!

This is my first time applying for veterinary school, so I'm definitely new to the process (I've also been out of school for the last 4 years). WSU says they send out notification to all unsuccessful candidates at the same time as the notices of interview go out. Notices started going out last week, but I've received neither a "congratulations" nor a "we're sorry to inform you" letter from WSU.

For those who have been through this process before, what timeline should be expected? I'd like to know so I can stop tearing my hair out (and driving my wife crazy).

I believe that this is actually the official name of the program now, unless you were accepted into Utah, there is no non-regional program here at WSU.

Talked to Miguel at WSU and this is confirmed. The whole program is considered "regional" now, but my offer was for Pullman! I'm so excited! Good luck everyone and I hope you hear soon! I am definitely still full of anxiety about all of my other applications.

This is my first time applying for veterinary school, so I'm definitely new to the process (I've also been out of school for the last 4 years). WSU says they send out notification to all unsuccessful candidates at the same time as the notices of interview go out. Notices started going out last week, but I've received neither a "congratulations" nor a "we're sorry to inform you" letter from WSU.

For those who have been through this process before, what timeline should be expected? I'd like to know so I can stop tearing my hair out (and driving my wife crazy).

Hi Gexkko,
I think your guess is as good as anyone's. I'm IS, and last year, I received an invitation to interview via snail mail on dec. 17th. I was waitlisted and not pulled off, so applied again. I haven't heard a peep. No change on my portal page or anything. So I'm hoping they're not done delivering good news. :)

I'll hold out hope for a bit longer then. This whole process is so nerve-wracking!

I'll hold out hope for a bit longer then. This whole process is so nerve-wracking!

Last year I applied OOS and got a rejection on New Year's Eve by snail mail.

WSU will probably do another round or so of invites.

Just got my interview invite! Does anyone know how many applicants they interview and what the chances are of being admitted? (Sorry if this has already been asked!)

:mad: Got my I/S rejection letter yesterday (12/19) via snail mail. No update to my portal page yet.

Just got my interview invite! Does anyone know how many applicants they interview and what the chances are of being admitted? (Sorry if this has already been asked!)

Hey, azprevet! I know that quite a few of us are interviewing. I would look at the statistics page on the WSU website pertaining to percent admitted. Best of luck on your upcoming interview!!!!!!!!!!! :luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf::luck:

:mad: Got my I/S rejection letter yesterday (12/19) via snail mail. No update to my portal page yet.

I'm sorry :( I know it's hard, but try to keep your chin up! I'm still waiting for some sort of official word... good luck with your other schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that prevet1.. I totally know what that feels like but try to keep your head up and hopes high for other places you applied!

I need some advice... I haven't heard back from WSU at all and it's making me really worried. We had some communication errors earlier this year, they sent me an email that I never got, so I'm kindof worried that the same thing happened again. My question is, would it be tacky/stupid to email them and ask if they've sent me anything yet? If they are still making a decision about me that's totally fine, but I wouldn't want to miss an email from them or miss a letter that was sent to my school address while I'm at home. It's been about two weeks since they sent out the majority of the invites. Should I just wait or email them to check?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm tired of waiting but don't want to step on any feet or influence my application badly.

Hi, prevetdreamer! I would wait and see. There is always the possibility that something got misplaced. Best of luck! :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

I need some advice... I haven't heard back from WSU at all and it's making me really worried. We had some communication errors earlier this year, they sent me an email that I never got, so I'm kindof worried that the same thing happened again. My question is, would it be tacky/stupid to email them and ask if they've sent me anything yet? If they are still making a decision about me that's totally fine, but I wouldn't want to miss an email from them or miss a letter that was sent to my school address while I'm at home. It's been about two weeks since they sent out the majority of the invites. Should I just wait or email them to check?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm tired of waiting but don't want to step on any feet or influence my application badly.

I haven't heard anything either, but I'm OOS. I was thinking maybe our apps are on hold possibly?

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll try to wait until the next round of invites go out. If I still don't hear anything around then I'll ask.

I'd wait until January. You likely won't hear anything until then either way because I think the entire college has next week off.

Good luck!

well, got my rejection letter on the 31 :( pretty bummed since I am instate in Utah and I had fairly decent odds here. the letter was dated on the 10, sucks that it took so long to get here! :rolleyes: I'm going to try to take my own advice and keep my chin up! I'm solidifying my plan b and plan on rocking my grades next semester, so hopefully next year goes better for me. anyways, good luck to anyone still waiting to hear back and everyone with interviews! I'm sure you guys will do great :)

Camelidcrazy, what are some of the resources that you used to prepare for the WSU interview?

I used BBC's website quite a bit and listened to lots of NPR (although that was mostly just for me :D). I think the best advice I can give you is know your application backwards and forwards (show that you have a deeper knowledge and didn't just list some experience) and definitely know the current legislation or new changes to your field. Example: current changes in off-label antibiotic use. Also expect at least one ethics question and know exactly how you feel about the use of animals in teaching and research. Think about what your back-up plan will be if you don't get in (they're known to ask about that) and how you plan to pay for and where your emotional support is coming from during vet school.

Also relax! Show them that you are comfortable with your knowledge and the interview process. You got here for a reason- remember that :)

They ask the current students to swing by the interview wait rooms and try to help you guys relax. You will likely see my smiling face and the faces of about 100 other students who are empathetic of your situation and only wishing you the best. Can't wait to meet you all!!

Hey, folks, is anyone else heading out to WSU from Seattle for a January 15 interview? Looking for someone to carpool with!

Thanks for the advice, Camelidcrazy! I am looking forward to my first time at WSU!
NorthernFlicker- I will be interviewing on the 30th. Sorry, but best of luck on your interview!!!! :)

Just wanted to say that a lot of schools have begun acceptances, so I would think that there will be quite a few applicants pulling their applications soon (myself included). So, I think those on the waitlist have a very bright chance :) Hang in there! There's still quite a few months left!

I hate to ask, but did those of you that received rejection letters get a portal update or just the letter?

Does anyone recall when the due date is to RSVP for the interview? I don't have the packet at work.

Thanks!

I was invited for an interview and have the box on my portal saying that my transcripts have not been received. Are we supposed to send them before our interview? I thought that they didn't request transcripts unless you were accepted...

Also, for those that were offered an interview. After you set up your interview did you get more information in the mail about it? I was told that I would get more info in the mail and I haven't received anything yet.

Good luck to everyone!!!

I was invited for an interview and have the box on my portal saying that my transcripts have not been received. Are we supposed to send them before our interview? I thought that they didn't request transcripts unless you were accepted...

I didn't get an interview, but I'm pretty sure you bring the transcripts with you to the interview. I could be wrong though!

Also, for those that were offered an interview. After you set up your interview did you get more information in the mail about it? I was told that I would get more info in the mail and I haven't received anything yet.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Did you ever get an interview packet? It had your interview invite, map, a flyer about WSU, as well as info about travel and the pizza mixer in it. Should have been a big manila envelope? If not you may want to ask Barbara Hodson about it. The letter says you should arrive 15 min earlier than your interview to turn in your transcripts.

No I haven't gotten anything else in the mail aside from the initial invitation. I just email Barbara so hopefully everything works out.

Thanks!!!

I had my interview yesterday! To all of you current WSU veterinary students...thank you for all of your support. Everyone was so nice.

I am an Idaho resident. I know they interviewed for Idaho all day Thursday and will interview about half the day Friday. Does anyone know how many they interview? I am so anxious to find out how I did and want to know the chances of getting in!

When I was asking one of my professors who does the interviews he said they don't interview 'that many' Idaho applicants. My understanding is that you have significantly better odds than either Washington or OOS applicants. I can't promise anything since I don't know numbers, though.

Good luck!

For whatever it's worth- I strongly recommend 'thank you' notes to your interviewing panel!

Good luck to everyone!

For whatever it's worth- I strongly recommend 'thank you' notes to your interviewing panel!

Good luck to everyone!

Hi Camelidcrazy,

Did you send your thank you notes to the admissions office and from there they were given to your interviewers?:confused: I'd like to send thank yous but I'm a little confused how to get them to my panel since I don't have their addresses! Thanks for your help!:)

I lived in Pullman so it was easier for me but I think you could easily address them to the recipient name with WSU's vet school student services address and write 'care of student services'. Then it will go to someone in student services who can put them in the correct mail boxes.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help and advice. This waiting part now may be the toughest part of the whole application process!

Any OOS people interviewing on 1/30? I'm flying out in a week (where did the time go from December till now??) and I am getting sooooo nervous! I hope I get to meet some of you!

If anyone is looking for housing in Pullman, I am a first year vet student at WSU and will have a room opening in May. I may be able to sublet this summer and have someone move in closer to Fall. Check out my ad on CL if you're interested. Out-of-staters still coming to interview are welcome to check it out while you're here! Good luck guys! The waiting is the hardest part. http://pullman.craigslist.org/roo/3560383054.html

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for housing in Pullman, I am a first year vet student at WSU and will have a room opening in May. I may be able to sublet this summer and have someone move in closer to Fall. Check out my ad on CL if you're interested. Out-of-staters still coming to interview are welcome to check it out while you're here! Good luck guys! The waiting is the hardest part. http://pullman.craigslist.org/roo/3560383054.html

It's a super cool house in an awesome part of town with the coolest disproportionate dog in history.

I strongly recommend checking it out :D

I'm IS and got my acceptance letter today! I'm soooo excited!!! Can't wait to meet all of you. :love:

In-state and waitlisted today -- ah well. The good news is, I got into Tufts! See y'all on the job market in four years!

Waitlisted last year and Accepted this year. So relieved! Congratulations to everyone for all the hard work, regardless of the news.

Not at all. Lots of houses and apartments for rent that are pet friendly. Also many, MANY students buy a mobile home. I know, I know- sounds super trashy but check it out. They're actually very nice in Pullman/Moscow and then you get your own yard and home for a very reasonable amount.

I'm pretty sure you will get a list of all the 4th year trailers for sale when you get your official packet in May. Otherwise just search Craigslist and there are tons of apartments. If you're interested in a roommate you can shoot me a PM and I can get you in contact with some first years looking for fall roommates. Let me know if you need any help :)