WSU c/o 2027 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I’m sorry to be this person but I got in and I literally almost passed out at work. I’m so pumped and if anyone else who got in would like to chat so we can start the “class bonding,” Im so down because im anxious with new people [emoji28]

Congratulations! Which one is your starting campus?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know anything about WSU exotics program / opportunities? I am an OOS acceptance at the Pullman campus!!
We have two exotics DVMs and (I believe) 1 resident. I did a bunch of shadowing in our exotics department in undergrad and it was a fabulous experience. The clinicians are very willing to include students and let you get your hands dirty. Our exotics department also sees all of the wildlife cases. Last year we started a new program (based off something similar at Illinois) where 1st-3rd year students can sign up to be on the wildlife exam team (I don't know the actual name of it) where you get to be the primary person in charge of wildlife admitted after hours. One of my classmates did this and had a lot of fun! We also have a Raptor Club where students can learn to handle the glove-trained birds of prey that live in our Raptor Center. The department is physically small but I would call the caseload is robust. Lots of rodents, rabbits, ferrets, parrots, snakes, wallabys, pigs, tortoises, you name it.

ETA: students of all years are invited to shadow in the hospital at any time starting day 1. Exotics is a great place to do that! We also have a Zoo, Exotics, and Wildlife (ZEW) Club and a club called the Wildlife Disease Association. There are also 3 exotics electives available to take in 3rd year.
 
Anyone from Utah going to the Pullman campus visit? Deciding whether to go and if flying or driving is better, it'd be nice to go with a familiar face though 🙂
 
Anyone from Utah going to the Pullman campus visit? Deciding whether to go and if flying or driving is better, it'd be nice to go with a familiar face though 🙂

Having made the drive from USU to Pullman twice over this last summer, 0/10 would not recommend. The 11ish hours of driving feels like 3+ days because you're basically in the middle of nowhere, driving in a straight line, with nothing to see.

I'd recommend flying into Lewiston and then taking the shuttle bus (~45 min away, and I think it's free with your boarding pass)

You could also fly into Pullman - Moscow airport, but you'd have to go through Seattle and tickets tend to be more expensive. Spokane is also an option, but is probably ~2h drive still and I don't know if they have free/cheap transport to Pullman.
 
Anyone from Utah going to the Pullman campus visit? Deciding whether to go and if flying or driving is better, it'd be nice to go with a familiar face though 🙂

I wasn’t planning on going. Since I’m planning to accept my offer, it wouldn’t change my decision much and I’m not sure I can afford the time or money for the trip right now.
 
Does anyone know anything about WSU exotics program / opportunities? I am an OOS acceptance at the Pullman campus!!

We have two exotics DVMs and (I believe) 1 resident. I did a bunch of shadowing in our exotics department in undergrad and it was a fabulous experience. The clinicians are very willing to include students and let you get your hands dirty. Our exotics department also sees all of the wildlife cases. Last year we started a new program (based off something similar at Illinois) where 1st-3rd year students can sign up to be on the wildlife exam team (I don't know the actual name of it) where you get to be the primary person in charge of wildlife admitted after hours. One of my classmates did this and had a lot of fun! We also have a Raptor Club where students can learn to handle the glove-trained birds of prey that live in our Raptor Center. The department is physically small but I would call the caseload is robust. Lots of rodents, rabbits, ferrets, parrots, snakes, wallabys, pigs, tortoises, you name it.

ETA: students of all years are invited to shadow in the hospital at any time starting day 1. Exotics is a great place to do that! We also have a Zoo, Exotics, and Wildlife (ZEW) Club and a club called the Wildlife Disease Association. There are also 3 exotics electives available to take in 3rd year.

I'm an incoming first year so I can't really speak to the classroom opportunities for exotics, but I work in the exotics + wildlife ward as a timeslip (student worker in the VTH). Seconding everything @couldhavebeenme says here (although we have an intern, no residents). The exotics ward sees client-owned animals and also handles a pretty sizeable wildlife caseload. One of our clinicians is a great resource on raptors, and the other one does a lot with reptiles (and runs a snake rescue on the side). I've seen some pretty cool avian and reptile surgeries since I started. Both of our doctors are clinical instructors in the CVM and teach the exotics electives in 3rd year. Plus you can literally poke your head in the ward any day and ask to watch what we've got going on. Students can volunteer a regular shift as an exotics assistant, work as timeslips, and also join the wildlife triage team. It seems like most of my exotics-focused friends are involved in the clubs mentioned, which I plan to do as well once I matriculate.

I came here in large part for the raptor and wildlife opportunities, and feel like I made the right choice. The curriculum is non-tracking so I'm going to spend a lot of time on other species over the next few years, but I plan on keeping my position in the exotics ward, and the amount of hands-on learning I've had access to before even starting vet school has been incredibly valuable. Feel free to reach out if you have specific questions about our exotics department-- I love it here.
 
Does anyone know if orientation this august is at WSU or held at each of the individual campuses? Just making sure to plan ahead [emoji28]
 
Does anyone know if orientation this august is at WSU or held at each of the individual campuses? Just making sure to plan ahead [emoji28]

Can't say for sure, but for the past 3 years orientation and COLE have been at USU for Utah students. I'd imagine they would keep it that way. It's cheaper and everyone has preferred it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What’s the dress code for visits? 😳 I’ve noticed its snowing so I’m guessing jeans and sweaters are ideal, right?
I doubt anyone will be wearing anything dressier than that. It's icy on campus today, wear good shoes.

I dipped from work early to deal with some craziness at home, so I won't get a chance to meet any of the tours today. 🙁 But I wanted to put out there, for anyone sticking around this evening, that I'd love to grab drinks and meet some future classmates.
 
Does anyone remember when the white coat ceremony is? I thought it would be in the confirmation email, but it wasn’t [emoji28]
 
Is Uber a good service I can count on when visiting Pullman or do you guys recommend something else?
There are a good amount of Uber/Lyft/commercial taxis about, especially if you're going over to Moscow. If you're staying in Pullman you could consider taking the bus which I think is $1 per trip for non-students.

Also, it's only a 20-30 minute walk to the CVM depending on what hotel you stay at. Maybe 35 minutes max if you're on the edge of town.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have officially declined my seat to WSU/USU. It’s a shame I wont be able to befriend ya’ll but I hope this will give someone else the opportunity to start their dream
Do you mind me asking - what was your preferred area of study? Small or large animal?
 
I’m IS on the waitlist and confused by the survey question asking about interested in location as my understanding is residents only go to Pullman. Anyone got any ideas why that’s coming up for IS applicants?

Got a reply from WSU that IS should just select Pullman campus.
 
Last edited:
I’m IS on the waitlist and confused by the survey question asking about interested in location as my understanding is residents only go to Pullman. Anyone got any ideas why that’s coming up for IS applicants?

Got a reply from WSU that IS should just select Pullman campus.
I assume they just use one survey for both the IS and OOS waitlists. I’m also IS waitlist and just chose Pullman.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got off the waitlist for OOS acceptance for the Pullman campus. Would anyone be available to touch on the culture/inclusivity at WSU and/or any additional important info from admitted students day?
I went to WSU for undergrad - the inclusivity/culture is average - not great, not terrible. WSU is located on the more “red” side of the state, but the student population doesn’t reflect that as much.