WVSOM 2010 Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ronin_ir said:
Just a bit of advice. Do not go into the PBL track @ WVSOM. Last year six of twenty-one students in the PBL track failed the COMLEX. Don't belive the "Comlex scores are as good or better than those of the SBL" line. The PBL class of 2007 did and now one-third of the had to take the COMLEX at least twice and some of them more that twice. By comparison 90% of last years SBL class passed the first time.

As a current WVSOM student, I agree with this post but for additional other reasons. No, I do not at all feel prepared for boards because we simply don't get enough information. You basically start off with systems from the very beginning and skip over basic physiology, biochem, genetics, micro, etc. As nice as it sounds, no group ever goes back to study these basic topics and you are left with HUGE gaps in your education that you spend valuable board review time trying to fill. Especially if you haven't had biochem as an undergrad, you'll find yourself up a creek without a paddle for sure.

The other major reason is that you just don't get squat for your $42k (for out-of-state). You get a seat at a table for a few hours each week and about 60 "cases" that I could write in a weekend with a Harrison's (not to mention the ones that were ripped off from a certain OTHER osteopathic school and have not been updated since the mid 90s). We don't get access to the histology lab or microscopes, even though they charge you for them in your tuition. School events are never scheduled with our exam/class schedules in mind. They keep switching the exam format and the entire PBL curriculum is constantly shifting. And any time there is a lecture for the entire class, we either watch it via video camera in a separate uncomfortable classroom or have to try and find seats in the larger SBL classroom.

Maybe individually these things aren't a big deal, but for what they charge especially for out-of-state students, they should be handing you your education on a silver platter. Right now we are lucky if we get the scraps from the table.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all......I have been reading some of the posts lately and it seems everyone is getting pretty excited about getting things going. I plan on moving down there around July or so. Found a great house less than a mile from campus which is awsome considering I am somewhat lazy...lol Anyway just wanted to say whats up and cant wait to meet everyone in the fall.

gclax30 said:
As a current WVSOM student, I agree with this post but for additional other reasons. No, I do not at all feel prepared for boards because we simply don't get enough information. You basically start off with systems from the very beginning and skip over basic physiology, biochem, genetics, micro, etc. As nice as it sounds, no group ever goes back to study these basic topics and you are left with HUGE gaps in your education that you spend valuable board review time trying to fill. Especially if you haven't had biochem as an undergrad, you'll find yourself up a creek without a paddle for sure.

The other major reason is that you just don't get squat for your $42k (for out-of-state). You get a seat at a table for a few hours each week and about 60 "cases" that I could write in a weekend with a Harrison's (not to mention the ones that were ripped off from a certain OTHER osteopathic school and have not been updated since the mid 90s). We don't get access to the histology lab or microscopes, even though they charge you for them in your tuition. School events are never scheduled with our exam/class schedules in mind. They keep switching the exam format and the entire PBL curriculum is constantly shifting. And any time there is a lecture for the entire class, we either watch it via video camera in a separate uncomfortable classroom or have to try and find seats in the larger SBL classroom.

Maybe individually these things aren't a big deal, but for what they charge especially for out-of-state students, they should be handing you your education on a silver platter. Right now we are lucky if we get the scraps from the table.
And actually this still does not cover it all. All the problems I mean. There seems to be no master plan to get from new to medicine to ready for the COMLEX. And you are dicouraged from using bourd review books or the SBL notes as a blueprint for study. Any complaints are viewed with hostility by the dean. You spend the first several months just trying to learn how to study and this wastes valuable time. Another waste of time is trying to really understand the lab values that are in the case. They are often not there or wrong or simply don't fit. You are reminded that these are actual cases written by doctors but in some cases if the doctor did not order any more tests than are given in the case then it is simply gross negligence. After a while this becomes very frustrating. Part of the attraction is that it seems easier. But there isn't an easy way to get ready for COMLEX.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well...then, SBL here i come :) Was kind of the plan all along. How can i resist being the first class in the new fancy lecture hall.

I just wanted to say thanks to all the current WVSOM students who are posting advice on this thread. I'm sure all future students would agree that we will listen to whatever advice is given.

Not to start a PBL vs SBL war, I would like to discuss this subject a little more. I just got accepted into the PBL program and look forward to starting. Why? Mainly because I learn best on my own and find lectures to be a complete waste of time for me. For me, PBL seems to be the perfect fit. I know the main argument presented in this thread against PBL is the COMLEX preparation. If I understand correctly, do not PBL students have a lot more spare "time" and liberty to study what they choose. I know this is coming from someone who does not actually have first-hand experience in the subject. But, if a person is disciplined enough to study on his own and go over the board review material on his own, why would he want to sign up for ineffectual lectures (from his prospective)?

About biochem, I never took that in undergad. But, I basically taught myself O-chem I and II w/A's in both. I would like to know if biochem is that much harder than O-chem to learn?

Anyways, I really would like to hear more discussion on this topic. Current students please continue to contribute because your prospectives are very valuable.

JohnUC33 said:
I just wanted to say thanks to all the current WVSOM students who are posting advice on this thread. I'm sure all future students would agree that we will listen to whatever advice is given.

Not to start a PBL vs SBL war, I would like to discuss this subject a little more. I just got accepted into the PBL program and look forward to starting. Why? Mainly because I learn best on my own and find lectures to be a complete waste of time for me. For me, PBL seems to be the perfect fit. I know the main argument presented in this thread against PBL is the COMLEX preparation. If I understand correctly, do not PBL students have a lot more spare "time" and liberty to study what they choose. I know this is coming from someone who does not actually have first-hand experience in the subject. But, if a person is disciplined enough to study on his own and go over the board review material on his own, why would he want to sign up for ineffectual lectures (from his prospective)?

About biochem, I never took that in undergad. But, I basically taught myself O-chem I and II w/A's in both. I would like to know if biochem is that much harder than O-chem to learn?

Anyways, I really would like to hear more discussion on this topic. Current students please continue to contribute because your prospectives are very valuable.
Have u found an apartment/house yet? I'm still searching.

FutureDocDO said:
Have u found an apartment/house yet? I'm still searching.

Yep, got a one bed-room about a mile from the school for $375 a month. When I called her a few weeks ago, she had three two-bedroom for $400 a month available. Just scroll up to one of my previous posts on this thread. But I'm glad that you finally decided on WVSOM :D It took you awhile, but you finally came over to the light!

I will be getting a place at Woodland Akers (1/4 mile from the school) in July. $550/month for a two bedroom/two story!

As far as the pbl vs. sbl. I can see why both would be very helpful. I'm just glad that I'll be at a school that offers multiple approaches for their students. That way everyone can feel like they're getting the most out of med school.

So? What is everyone here doing in the mean time before med school starts? I'm leaving for Europe on Sunday!!! :)

RD330 said:
So? What is everyone here doing in the mean time before med school starts? I'm leaving for Europe on Sunday!!! :)
I'm working to save up money :( . I wish I could travel but oh well. I'm planning to quit a month or two before school starts and take a much needed rest.

I'm working on graduating college first haha. As for everyone asking about biochem, it is a lot of information, it's true. But at the same time, its a great class because it ties in gen bio, gen chem and orgo. I know it will be tougher and contain more information when we take it in med school, but still it ties in everything. I found it to be more like a total capping course for being a science major (I actually chose to major in biochem too)

I'm heading down to the WVa next week to look at places, and check out the area in general again- anyone else planning on going down soon?

JohnUC33 said:

I also learn best when studying on my own and not wasting time in lecture. That is probably the one saving grace about the PBL program. However, you are bound to study whatever the group agrees on for that day, so if you have already studied that topic in a previous group you have to waste valuable time going over the same material you learned months ago. I just love being tested on the same material twice!

Reviewing material is ok (and necessary before exams of course) but the insane volume of material that we are expected to master in two years simply doesn’t allow it. Compare the daily workload that SBL gets vs. PBL- it just doesn’t compare. In medical school you want to err on the side of getting too much thrown at you rather than too little (ref COMLEX performance).

But don’t PBL students learn the material better? Probably. But if SBL had two weeks to study just one class of drugs, they would know it inside and out too!

Another major flaw in our PBL program is that 30%-40% of your final grade is based on your participation and group discussion skills, not on your knowledge base about the material you have learned. So unless you are an alpha dog and gun for control of the group, even if you ace the content exam, there is no guarantee of a decent grade. It is absolutely ridiculous to grade someone in MEDICAL SCHOOL based on whether or not they “work well with others” – wasn’t that an elementary school thing?

When I was applying, they presented the PBL program to us as the best thing since sliced bread. Even though it was only in its second year at WVSOM, we were told that the exact same system had worked fine for 10 years at a different school, all of the bugs were worked out, that board pass rates were excellent, etc. Nothing could be farther from the truth, because it is obvious that this thing was simply thrown together. And as ronin put it, any complaints or suggestions to better the program are viewed with hostility by the administration, and you are sent on your way with a “Don’t worry about it, the system works, you’ll see.” Sorry, but I don’t like other people gambling with my education (or my money).

Regardless, in the grand scheme SBL vs. PBL doesn’t really matter (so long as you pass boards)…what really matters is clinical education. I don’t mean to discourage or pi$$ any of you off, but clinical ed here is another circus sideshow all of its own. If you haven’t laid down that awful $2k deposit yet, I would seriously consider other options for your medical education. Even if you have paid it, it is a small loss.

gclax30 said:
Regardless, in the grand scheme SBL vs. PBL doesn’t really matter (so long as you pass boards)…what really matters is clinical education. I don’t mean to discourage or pi$$ any of you off, but clinical ed here is another circus sideshow all of its own. If you haven’t laid down that awful $2k deposit yet, I would seriously consider other options for your medical education. Even if you have paid it, it is a small loss.
Can you elaborate a little more on clinical rotation? What make you think it's a "circus sideshow"? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes there are bumps in the road. Yes you may have some regrets. BUT WVSOM is still a very good school.
If I had it to do all over again I may not go to an osteopathic school. But if I did it would still be either WVSOM or MSU-COM.
When I applied to med school I only applied to osteopathic schools. I was excited to learn about OMT and thought the trade of of being a DO would be worth it. The OPP Dept. @ WVSOM has done a lot to change my mind.
Having said this I should also point out that I have not had a lot of clinic time with real patients involving OMT. When I came here I thought OMT was mostly HVLA (the stuff that causes a "pop"). This is not the case and a lot of the stuff you are expected to take on faith that it works. At the same time they are telling you "Trust us this OMT stuff works" they are saying that treatment should be evaluated by what has the best outcome based on clinical trials and studies. Most OMT has not been proven in clinical trials and those techniques that have been in trials often have no better outcome than placedo. But I digress.
The point is that WVSOM for all of its flaws is still a good school. At least within WV where WVSOM students and WVU and Marshall students are compaired, WVSOM is not found to be lacking and in fact are often evaluated to be superior to out allopathic brethren.
All of the major problems seem to be in the administration, not the faculty. So while WVSOM will give you headaches, it will also give you a good education.
Part of the problem is that WVSOM tries to cram so much into the first two years. This can be very frustrating at times but can pay big dividends during rotations which is where you usually make or break your residency chances.
In short (too late I know) have no regrets about choosing WVSOM, but PBL is best avoided at least for now.

Trish Im going skiing at snowshoe the march 14-19 and I will be coming to the area one of those days to look around. So any opinions on getting a roomate first year or living alone?

So has everyone figured out loans yet. I havent really recieved anything from WVSOM yet other than what I got at interview. Are citizens bank rates competitive to others. Any comments would be appreciated.

SCOTT724 said:
Trish Im going skiing at snowshoe the march 14-19 and I will be coming to the area one of those days to look around. So any opinions on getting a roomate first year or living alone?

I had actually called Angie and was put on a roomate list, then a first year down there (who lives with a 2nd year now) contacted me. I'm going to be checking her place out when I go down. Truthfully, I thought I'd like having a roommate because I live in a house with 7 now and am used to having people around ALL the time, but it can work both ways you know.

I'm going to be down there the 13th and 14th. Let me know what your plans are.

So where are you from?

SCOTT724 said:

How close is snowshow to WVSOM? Is it a pretty nice ski resort?

Canuck99 said:
How close is snowshow to WVSOM? Is it a pretty nice ski resort?

I believe its about an hour or so away

Is anybody getting a "sleeping room" instead of an apartment or a house. I'm looking into getting just a sleeping room with six other people.

FutureDocDO said:
Is anybody getting a "sleeping room" instead of an apartment or a house. I'm looking into getting just a sleeping room with six other people.

That sounds pretty hard core! haha Whatever works for you :)

So how many of us are there on Student doctor??? We should make a list!

WVSOM Class of 2010!

RD330

WVSOM Class of 2010!

RD330
jgl1980

WVSOM class of 2010!!!

Any of you want to get a white water rafting trip planned this summer??

wake920 said:
WVSOM class of 2010!!!

Any of you want to get a white water rafting trip planned this summer??

count me in!!!

In short (too late I know) have no regrets about choosing WVSOM, but PBL is best avoided at least for now.[/QUOTE]

I'm still deciding between SBL and PBL and thanks for everyone's incite. Does anyone have anything really good to say about PBL? It seems to me that it just depends on how each person learns and studies best.

Also for the current students, how hard was it to get all the loan money? Any help would be appreciated.

I really like PBL. There is no way I would have done SBL, even with the PBL faults. Granted I'm also not increadibly stressed at the moment worried about boards since mine are over a year away.

I have had no probs with loan money. I just applied and it was given to me. Way more than I needed; the amount that is alotted to students is more than you actually need.

Megalofyia said:
I really like PBL. There is no way I would have done SBL, even with the PBL faults. Granted I'm also not increadibly stressed at the moment worried about boards since mine are over a year away.

I have had no probs with loan money. I just applied and it was given to me. Way more than I needed; the amount that is alotted to students is more than you actually need.

Who did you get your loans through and at what rates? Also how much do you think the average 1st year should take out?

SCOTT724 said:
Who did you get your loans through and at what rates? Also how much do you think the average 1st year should take out?
Honestly I dont remember who I got my loans through. It was through whoever the school suggested in their finantial aid packet. I remember the rates being about the same as the interest on an INGdirect account; thus I got an INGdirect savings account to put my extra loan money.

I took out the maximum just in case. At the end of my second year I'll just give the school all the money I have in that INGdirect account.

Because I was rather frugal with money last semester...eg. I didn't get cable or internet, was minimal with electricity and just general spending money (other than beer money) I could have done this semester with half of what I accepted. . . Just to give you an idea of how much they do overestimate what they predict.

Damnit Dan!

Are you guys getting stoked yet? :p Med school, for all the drama and crazy stuff you hear about, is infinitely better than working for "the man!" So kick the tires and light the fires, it's SHOW TIME!!

Oh if you want a good laugh...here's a video for ya ;) It's MXC and I think every med student should watch it to relieve stress!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6255253347121795757&q=MXC

P.S. my studentdoctor.net mailbox is full so please send email to:

[email protected] <---OR---> [email protected]

Much love,
The Richie

I am posting this for a very good friend of mine, Lance. He has some snazzy property for sale. Good stuff for you future WVSOM peeps :)

Why waste your money with rent when you can use that money to purchase?? A 3 bedroom 2 bath house on 1 acre of land with hardwood flooring throughout for sale in Lewisburg!! It is located about 3 miles from the school! If interested in purchasing the house please email me at [email protected] Thanks!!

-Lance

I'll try to get some pictures up for him soon when he gets em to me!

P.S. Lance rocked his boards! :p Sorry I have to brag on him.

Megalofyia said:

I am glad that you like PBL. I really am. There are some in the 2nd year class that are still pro-PBL but they are the minority. And unless there are some big changes then at this time next year a majority of students in PBL 2009 will be less than enthusiastic also.
There are some good things about PBL. Getting a more clinical side of the basic sciences is a big plus. And SBL is not without iys faults. But right now the minuses of PBL far outweigh the pluses.

Hi guys, future classmate here! I just got accepted to WVSOM yesterday! :D I am SO glad that I can relax now with my acceptance. This upcoming weekend will be nothing but celebrating!

I'm going on the SBL track, so it's nice to meet some of you heading on the same route. I am not so sure about how separate SBL is from PBL, but since the classes are different then I'm not sure we'll have so much interaction...which sucks because I'd like to work with some of you PBL'ers too.

I've started looking for an apartment, but it's been alot harder than I thought. I wish that WVSOM had dorms for the med students. Congrats to everyone that has an acceptance! :)

Richie Truxillo said:
Are you guys getting stoked yet? :p Med school, for all the drama and crazy stuff you hear about, is infinitely better than working for "the man!" So kick the tires and light the fires, it's SHOW TIME!!

Oh if you want a good laugh...here's a video for ya ;) It's MXC and I think every med student should watch it to relieve stress!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6255253347121795757&q=MXC

LMAO! I LOVE that show! I'm probably one of the few girls that watches Spike t.v. once in awhile. :laugh:

Duchess said:
I've started looking for an apartment, but it's been alot harder than I thought. I wish that WVSOM had dorms for the med students. Congrats to everyone that has an acceptance! :) [/COLOR]
Have you emailed ANGIE BOWYER for a housing list? It is getting shorter as they fill up but it's helpful. I wish WVSOM has dorms as well but they WILL NOT and DO NOT have plans to build any. The school helps support the town by bringing money there so it's important to have the students rent from the town's people than having dorms.

FutureDocDO said:
Have you emailed ANGIE BOWYER for a housing list? It is getting shorter as they fill up but it's helpful. I wish WVSOM has dorms as well but they WILL NOT and DO NOT have plans to build any. The school helps support the town by bringing money there so it's important to have the students rent from the town's people than having dorms.

No, I haven't contacted Angie Bowyer yet but I will do that tomorrow. I am thinking about going up to WV soon to check out the apartments available...I'm not really comfortable renting something that I've never seen before. Many of the places that I've called are full, so I'm sure an updated availability list would be helpful. Thanks for the advice!

Duchess said:
No, I haven't contacted Angie Bowyer yet but I will do that tomorrow. I am thinking about going up to WV soon to check out the apartments available...I'm not really comfortable renting something that I've never seen before. Many of the places that I've called are full, so I'm sure an updated availability list would be helpful. Thanks for the advice!
I'd fly there to check the place out myself but I'm short on money. Flying there costs money and for each day I'm gone I lose potential earning money from my current job so I'd rather not. I'm cheap I know :laugh: . For a guy that's thinking about attending the second most expensive DO schools that doesn't make a whole lot of sense!

FutureDocDO said:
I'd fly there to check the place out myself but I'm short on money. Flying there costs money and for each day I'm gone I lose potential earning money from my current job so I'd rather not. I'm cheap I know :laugh: . For a guy that's thinking about attending the second most expensive DO schools that doesn't make a whole lot of sense!

Oh, I'm not flying...road trip, baby! Of course, it's not really a road trip because I'll be alone. Blah. After looking at my class schedules it would be best for me to leave this weekend before my tests start picking up again, and everyone already has set plans. Sucks. From Florida it's a 12 hour drive. I'm not looking forward to it. But I looked up tickets and it's RIDICULOUSLY expensive if you want to go last minute (range of a couple of weeks in advance) and I don't have the courage to spend that much.

Duchess said:
Oh, I'm not flying...road trip, baby! Of course, it's not really a road trip because I'll be alone. Blah. After looking at my class schedules it would be best for me to leave this weekend before my tests start picking up again, and everyone already has set plans. Sucks. From Florida it's a 12 hour drive. I'm not looking forward to it. But I looked up tickets and it's RIDICULOUSLY expensive if you want to go last minute (range of a couple of weeks in advance) and I don't have the courage to spend that much.
Keep me posted if you find any good and cheap apartments! Some pictures would do. :)

FutureDocDO said:
Keep me posted if you find any good and cheap apartments! Some pictures would do. :)

FutureDocDO,

Yes, I am bringing my digital camera. I am going to look around at one-bedrooms mostly, and I already have one apartment in mind so I might not look around too much if there's an opening and I can put my name down on it right away. But whatever I get, I will send to you.

Duchess said:
FutureDocDO,

Yes, I am bringing my digital camera. I am going to look around at one-bedrooms mostly, and I already have one apartment in mind so I might not look around too much if there's an opening and I can put my name down on it right away. But whatever I get, I will send to you.
Cool. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Congrats to everyone on acceptances. I have also been accepted and look forward to attending WVSOM. I know it a good school and people there are the nicest in the world but is anyone, besides me, concerned about the fact that WVSOM has nearly doubled its class size. Do they have enough faculty members to be able to provide the kind of assistance they were able to provide with a smaller class? Also, do they have enough locations for clinical rotations to accommodate this increase in class size?

I am sure they must have thought if this as well but I wanted to know if anyone has asked them about this and what kind of a response did they receive?
I would also appreciate any input from current student on this topic as well.
Thank you.

ronin_ir said:
I am glad that you like PBL. I really am. There are some in the 2nd year class that are still pro-PBL but they are the minority. And unless there are some big changes then at this time next year a majority of students in PBL 2009 will be less than enthusiastic also.
There are some good things about PBL. Getting a more clinical side of the basic sciences is a big plus. And SBL is not without iys faults. But right now the minuses of PBL far outweigh the pluses.

"People are never more insecure than when they become obsessed with their fears at the expense of their dreams."-Norman Cousins

I have had experience in both worlds. I left SBL last year to take a personal leave for palliative care of my mother. Now I am in PBL. I believe that PBL is best for me. Yes, it is possible to learn both ways. Your education is what you make it!

My mother once gave me advice... Pay attention to all of your options. Think about them carefully. Weigh the possibilities and problems... and then do as you damn well please... you will anyway!

tsdesai said:
Hi everyone,

Congrats to everyone on acceptances. I have also been accepted and look forward to attending WVSOM. I know it a good school and people there are the nicest in the world but is anyone, besides me, concerned about the fact that WVSOM has nearly doubled its class size. Do they have enough faculty members to be able to provide the kind of assistance they were able to provide with a smaller class? Also, do they have enough locations for clinical rotations to accommodate this increase in class size?

I am sure they must have thought of this as well but I wanted to know if anyone has asked them about this and what kind of a response did they receive?
I would also appreciate any input from current student on this topic as well.
Thank you.

They are currently interviewing and hiring new faculty members for several disciplines, and for the most part the faculty are great at making sure you can get access to them during office hours, email, etc. I don't think that the increased class size will change this too much because I think it is a personal thing- they want to be involved with students, they don't wall themselves off in an office or a lab (for the most part).

In terms of clinicals, your guess is as good as anyone's. This is something I wish I had looked into more before I got to WVSOM and I strongly encourage you to inquire directly to the clinical education office about this concern now, not later. Perhaps by the time your class reaches third year they will have created enough slots for students but I just don't see it happening- there aren't enough hospitals in the entire freaking state!

"I am sure they must have thought of this as well but " <-- Don't count on it

Duchess said:
LMAO! I LOVE that show! I'm probably one of the few girls that watches Spike t.v. once in awhile.

You realize you have officially earned yourself cool points now don'tcha? :laugh:

Let us know when ya come in town and we'll give ya a warm WVSOM reception. (if we aren't hunched over a pile of board review books that is hehe)

I'm a frequent lurker here at SDN, but haven't posted too often.

I just want to give a big thanks to everybody who's posted here because your advice/tips/inside info has been of tremendous help to me throughout the mind-numbing application process!

It gives me great pleasure to add, that I've been accepted at WVSOM for the Class of 2010!!!

Currently looking to find a place to live...definatley prefer Woodland Akers and have joined the ever growing waiting list there...

**keeping my fingers crossed!**

A hearty congrats to everybody else who's been accepted there...can't wait to meet all my future classmates in August!

Congrats Mystic!!! Good luck on the housing hunt. Happy St. Patty's Day to everyone else. I am going to celebrate my irish heritage!

Mystic03 said:
I'm a frequent lurker here at SDN, but haven't posted too often.

I just want to give a big thanks to everybody who's posted here because your advice/tips/inside info has been of tremendous help to me throughout the mind-numbing application process!

It gives me great pleasure to add, that I've been accepted at WVSOM for the Class of 2010!!!

Currently looking to find a place to live...definatley prefer Woodland Akers and have joined the ever growing waiting list there...

**keeping my fingers crossed!**

A hearty congrats to everybody else who's been accepted there...can't wait to meet all my future classmates in August!

With all these posts, I am getting more and more eager to begin school. What is wrong with me?!? Anyways, I can't wait to meet you guys/gals in the fall. Class of 2010 representing :thumbup: