WVSOM 2010 Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FutureDocDO said:
What's the number to that aparment across the street/within walking distance from the school? Is it nice/decent? What's the lay-out...are there any pictures? Who do I call to add my name to the waitlist and whether it cost anything to do so? Thanks a bunch!

What happening everybody!!! I am most likely going to be moving up that way around mid july but I have to get me a place secured first. I'm pretty pumped about the WiFi in the new buildings. I can't remember the name of those apartments but I will try and find that phone # for you I have it around here some where. But you could call angie and she will give it to you. The woman that runs the apartments will send you pics through the e-mail if you ask her to. They are 2 bedroom. One is much larger than the other one and one bathroom both of which are upstairs. Downstairs there is a place for a living room and a small eating area with a kitchen with a washer and dryer hook up. You can not beat the location. I wonder if you would be able to pick up the schools WiFi signal at the apartments????

Members don't see this ad.

I just got the email from the landlord. I put my name on the waitlist and she said the sooner you get on the waitlist the better. I was impressed with the pics and I heard that most of the place is rented out by students. Really good price for what you get. $550/month for a two bedroom/two story apt. I was paying $700/month for a closet in Dallas, TX. I'm excited :D

jgl1980 said:
What happening everybody!!! I am most likely going to be moving up that way around mid july but I have to get me a place secured first. I'm pretty pumped about the WiFi in the new buildings. I can't remember the name of those apartments but I will try and find that phone # for you I have it around here some where. But you could call angie and she will give it to you. The woman that runs the apartments will send you pics through the e-mail if you ask her to. They are 2 bedroom. One is much larger than the other one and one bathroom both of which are upstairs. Downstairs there is a place for a living room and a small eating area with a kitchen with a washer and dryer hook up. You can not beat the location. I wonder if you would be able to pick up the schools WiFi signal at the apartments????
Thank you. Two bedrooms apartments only huh? Maybe it's time I decide on a roommie.

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureDocDO said:
Thank you. Two bedrooms apartments only huh? Maybe it's time I decide on a roommie.

So does that mean that you have finally made the right decision?

I saw pictures of the those woodland acres apts, they look great. pretty, pretty, pretty good. you definitely cant beat the price for what you get and the location.

Anyone know that board pass rates over the past few years?

For those that are moving from another state, is anyone bringing pets along.

Sorry that I haven't added much to this thread. I plan on moving near the end of July. I have a nice one bedroom apartment a mile from the school for $375 a month. Just found out this week that I'm accepted into the PBL program. Is anyone else thinking about PBL? If so, what are your reasons? As for what I plan to specialize in, I have not the foggiest idea. Of course, I am a little inclined towards primary care, but that might change once I get started.

For me, the tuition is not that big of a thing. At first, I was weary of it, but I got to thinking that I only do the med school experience once; so I best go to the place that I know I want to attend. I got accepted to another school, yet I really didn't want to attend there although it is pretty cheap. Since I'll be paying for my education, I figure that I might as well attend the school that I like best regardless of the cost. Honestly, if I do primary care, I'll just return home or to another rural area and get loan repayment negotiated into my contract. If I specialize in something highly competitive, then I'll probably make enough money that the payments won't hardly hurt me.

Can't wait to see you guys/girls in the fall!!!

JohnUC33 said:
Sorry that I haven't added much to this thread. I plan on moving near the end of July. I have a nice one bedroom apartment a mile from the school for $375 a month. Just found out this week that I'm accepted into the PBL program. Is anyone else thinking about PBL? If so, what are your reasons? As for what I plan to specialize in, I have not the foggiest idea. Of course, I am a little inclined towards primary care, but that might change once I get started.

For me, the tuition is not that big of a thing. At first, I was weary of it, but I got to thinking that I only do the med school experience once; so I best go to the place that I know I want to attend. I got accepted to another school, yet I really didn't want to attend there although it is pretty cheap. Since I'll be paying for my education, I figure that I might as well attend the school that I like best regardless of the cost. Honestly, if I do primary care, I'll just return home or to another rural area and get loan repayment negotiated into my contract. If I specialize in something highly competitive, then I'll probably make enough money that the payments won't hardly hurt me.

So what state are you moving from??? I am coming from Indiana, though I was born and raised in Ohio. What is the name of the apartment complex you are moving into? I am trying to find a single apartment as well.

Congrats on the PBL!! I am sticking with SBL. I have to have the organization. I was thinking about pediatrics or internal medicine. I am really counting on working in a rural area to sign a "forgive your debt" contract.

Pretty sure that I have made my decision to go with SBL.

Ya, if you dont mind, could you give the name and number of the apartment complex. That is a great price. Are there other students in the same complex? If you would prefer you can send a PM.

JohnUC33 said:

Well spoken, this is exactly how I feel about the tuition.

When did you pick out that apartment? Did you do it without actually seeing it, or were you able to see it when you went for your interview?

Canuck99 said:
So does that mean that you have finally made the right decision?

I saw pictures of the those woodland acres apts, they look great. pretty, pretty, pretty good. you definitely cant beat the price for what you get and the location.

Anyone know that board pass rates over the past few years?
Yup. I think I've decided to attend WVSOM now that there's more information in the Pre-Osteopathic forum about the LECOM-PA's pass rate being 76%. I thought it was 87%, which is low but bearable. 76% is too darn low! for me. There are a few other negatives about LECOM that I find disturbing. I think I'll start looking for an apartment now or fly there around Spring Break to look for one. Woodland acres apts are two bedrooms only right?

Is everyone thinking about hauling their furnitures (i.e., bed, couch, table, etc..) to Lewisburg since there's not a single furniture store in town? I would NOT want to drive all the way there if at all possible. Is there a place to get a used/new car in Lewisburg... something that will run forever such as a Nissan of Toyota? If not, I suppose I could fly into Charleston or Roanoke, buy a car there and drive to Lewisburg. Thanks.

wake920 said:
So what state are you moving from??? I am coming from Indiana, though I was born and raised in Ohio. What is the name of the apartment complex you are moving into? I am trying to find a single apartment as well.

Congrats on the PBL!! I am sticking with SBL. I have to have the organization. I was thinking about pediatrics or internal medicine. I am really counting on working in a rural area to sign a "forgive your debt" contract.

I'm moving from TN. I'm renting from the McGraw's. They own the funeral home in town. No, I didn't get to check out the apartment. Instead, the guy who stays there now sent me a bunch of pics and only had praise for the apartment and landlords. I got it from Ethel McGraw. The number should be on the housing list, but PM me if you can't find it.

Canuck99 said:
Pretty sure that I have made my decision to go with SBL.

Ya, if you dont mind, could you give the name and number of the apartment complex. That is a great price. Are there other students in the same complex? If you would prefer you can send a PM.

See my above post. Yea, there are like ten units in the apartment complex and nine house WVSOM students. I know she had a two bed-room available as well. How many rooms are you looking for? For me, I just went small and cheap :D

JohnUC33 said:
See my above post. Yea, there are like ten units in the apartment complex and nine house WVSOM students. I know she had a two bed-room available as well. How many rooms are you looking for? For me, I just went small and cheap :D

Just wanted to stop in and post some love for the class of 2010! I'll be doing my best to make the board pass rate look good in these next 119 days for ya'll (Well and myself hehe)!

You guys live it up from now until then. PBL or SBL...doesn't matter! Prepare for a wild ride come late August!

Mind and Body Strong Grasshoppers ;)

-Richie

Members don't see this ad :)
JohnUC33 said:

did they send you more info on PBL and SBL, or was it from the checkmark you chose on your application?

Richie Truxillo said:
Just wanted to stop in and post some love for the class of 2010! I'll be doing my best to make the board pass rate look good in these next 119 days for ya'll (Well and myself hehe)!

You guys live it up from now until then. PBL or SBL...doesn't matter! Prepare for a wild ride come late August!

Mind and Body Strong Grasshoppers ;)

-Richie

do you know the SBL board scores over the past few years?

theresa83 said:
did they send you more info on PBL and SBL, or was it from the checkmark you chose on your application?

I heard they send you stuff after you get accepted and pay your deposit. I was impatient after I got accepted and contacted the head guy myself. You mainly just write an essay on why you want to do PBL and a committee reviews your essay to see if you get in or not. It only took like 2-3wks for them to decide after I submitted my essay

FutureDocDO said:
Jus curious, how old is everyone? I'm 23.

23, but will be 24 in the fall when classes start.

FutureDocDO said:
Jus curious, how old is everyone? I'm 23.

I'm 23. Gosh, ten years ago I said that I would be married, have kids, and working in my career job by now. Lol, I'm 0 for 3 on that one :D

I'm goin to be 21 starting in the fall. I'm new at this, so just sayin hi for now

Is anybody here debating doing the Armed Services health professions scholarship?

hey trish! you're a young one! (no offense) I thought I would be one of the younger ones, (i'm 22) but I guess I will be 23 once we start. I guess not so young anymore. :(

I'm young at heart, that's all that matters!

trish10 said:
Is anybody here debating doing the Armed Services health professions scholarship?

Yes I am considering the military options. I just got some information today on the Navy. I'm not sure yet what the pro's and con's are of all the different branches.

wake920 said:
Yes I am considering the military options. I just got some information today on the Navy. I'm not sure yet what the pro's and con's are of all the different branches.

I am doing the Navy. I always had an interest in it, plus they help tremendously in paying for med school. I feel like it will be a great experiance. I grew up with it- my dad is a colonel in the army. Let me know if you have any questions. Guess I was just wondering if anyone would be at 'officer training camp' with me in newport, RI this summer.

Many people had contacted me about the apartment that I will be renting this upcoming year. Well, I contacted her today, and she said that she has 3 more two bed-room apartments for $400 a month available. If you need some more info, drop me a pm. Best of luck to everyone in their hunt!

I'm not sure how to send the private message, so sorry I have to post this! But if you could send me the info about the apartments, like a name or phone number that would be awesome. Have you been able to see what they look like? I think I read they house a good deal of the med students, and I like that idea. Talk to you soon, thanks for the help

I'm 29 and will be 30 when school starts in the Fall.

Moving from Indiana in mid to late June. I am not having much luck with the apartment complexes. I have called a few and left messages (Woodland Akers, Ridgeview, etc.) but they have not responded. I visited Lewisburg this past weekend and I thought many of the places looked sketchy. Can someone send me the email address of the Woodland Akers landlord or forward me the email containing the pictures?

[email protected]

Thanks!

simpy2000 said:
I'm 29 and will be 30 when school starts in the Fall.

Moving from Indiana in mid to late June. I am not having much luck with the apartment complexes. I have called a few and left messages (Woodland Akers, Ridgeview, etc.) but they have not responded. I visited Lewisburg this past weekend and I thought many of the places looked sketchy. Can someone send me the email address of the Woodland Akers landlord or forward me the email containing the pictures?

[email protected]

Thanks!

Hey! Email is on its way...The Woodland Akers landlord was really nice when I talked to her and the apartment complex looks pretty nice compared to some of the others. In an old historical town, it's hard to find what I'm used to (the big city)...which is brand spankin' new apartments EVERYwhere. I really like the idea of a little change. I think it'll only help me to focus on med school and not be distracted by city life/friends/family....you get the idea!

hope the email helps

See you in Fall!

RD330 said:
Hey! Email is on its way...The Woodland Akers landlord was really nice when I talked to her and the apartment complex looks pretty nice compared to some of the others. In an old historical town, it's hard to find what I'm used to (the big city)...which is brand spankin' new apartments EVERYwhere. I really like the idea of a little change. I think it'll only help me to focus on med school and not be distracted by city life/friends/family....you get the idea!

hope the email helps

See you in Fall!
Can I get a hold of those pictures and if you could may I get the phone number for the landlord? Thank you.

FutureDocDO said:
Can I get a hold of those pictures and if you could may I get the phone number for the landlord? Thank you.

I have it in my inbox....so PM me your email and I'll send it to ya! Anyone else interested can do the same.

what class is everyone most excited about taking? what class are you dreading?

Canuck99 said:

i'm dreading anything with BioChemistry and I'm really excited about System Based Learning. The gross anatomy lab is really nice, so I look forward to that class too! Has anyone heard about what the new lecture hall looks like? It was under construction when I went for my interview in Sept.

Anyone have any luck with getting apartments yet?

Canuck99 said:

I'm looking forward to PBL. Yet, I'm really dreading Biochem because I didn't take it in undergrad.

whats the deal, is everyone hibernating? this thread is slacking.

anyone have any new WVSOM news?

Hello everyone ... my name is Alex and I just sent in my deposit to WVSOM. I am really excited about going to school but am also really confused by the housing situation!! Is anyone looking for a roommate? I'm a girl (real name is Alexandria haha) but wouldn't mind living with a guy. Let me know if anyone is looking! Can't wait to meet you all in the fall.

Glad to meet another "class of 2010" student! You should call Angie about getting a list of available apartments. It's really helpful.

t2jmnihs647 said:
Hello everyone ... my name is Alex and I just sent in my deposit to WVSOM. I am really excited about going to school but am also really confused by the housing situation!! Is anyone looking for a roommate? I'm a girl (real name is Alexandria haha) but wouldn't mind living with a guy. Let me know if anyone is looking! Can't wait to meet you all in the fall.

I believe Angie keeps a running list of people looking for roommates. Just drop her a line or call.

JohnUC33 said:
I believe Angie keeps a running list of people looking for roommates. Just drop her a line or call.
There are currently three people looking for a roommate and they're ALL girls.

Just a bit of advice. Do not go into the PBL track @ WVSOM. Last year six of twenty-one students in the PBL track failed the COMLEX. Don't belive the "Comlex scores are as good or better than those of the SBL" line. The PBL class of 2007 did and now one-third of the had to take the COMLEX at least twice and some of them more that twice. By comparison 90% of last years SBL class passed the first time.

ronin_ir said:
Just a bit of advice. Do not go into the PBL track @ WVSOM. Last year six of twenty-one students in the PBL track failed the COMLEX. Don't belive the "Comlex scores are as good or better than those of the SBL" line. The PBL class of 2007 did and now one-third of the had to take the COMLEX at least twice and some of them more that twice. By comparison 90% of last years SBL class passed the first time.

Thanks for the advice. Where did you get those statistics?? I have been looking everywhere for the pass numbers and even asked during my interview, but no one could tell me how the PBL students did compared to the SBL.

ronin_ir said:
This is true. According to a current professor at WVSOM: "Last year our overall passage rate for first time takers was 87.5% - SBL did better with over 92% passage rate, the PBL passage rate was only 71.4% but most that failed indicated they did not prepare well."

If you want to do PBL, LECOM-Erie would be a better choice as they consistently outperform LDP (lecture discussion pathway) students. But then again it wouldn't be hard to do so since I've heard their LDP students only have a 76% first time pass rate.

I am currently a student @ WVSOM. If you guys have any question feel free to ask. BTW someone said that there are no furniture stores here but there are at least three and they are building another.

As for the comment(s) about PBL at WVSOM - let me warn against looking too much into one set of data and extrapolating everything from that. The PBL tract is an excellent option at WVSOM and is getting better and better as the program matures. If anyone has any questions about it - feel free to PM me.

Dan

ronin_ir said:
I am currently a student @ WVSOM. If you guys have any question feel free to ask. BTW someone said that there are no furniture stores here but there are at least three and they are building another.
That's good to know. They do sell mattresses right?

:laugh: Sorry for not posting in awhile. Been burrowed studying for boards and a POM exam! :p

First Board failure stuff: It's fairly simple...if you don't prepare for boards you don't pass. Before you all ask, I started studying for boards back in November. We'll see how that approach pans out. :)

As for Woodland Akers, I know there is a waiting list for people right now, however there are at least 5 apartments coming available in June that I know of (including my own :laugh: ) Julie is slow but she will get back to you eventually as she is a part time college student. It is usually in the evenings.

Had a couple messages about immunizations. Please be sure to have your titers taken for Hep B (or start your series). It will save you time having to wait in like at the Robert C. Byrd clinic during the year.

Addressing another private message: The medical terminology "quiz" you get at the beginning of class is cake. Don't stress over it.

Ok back to notecards I go. 100 down, 26 to get down cold still :) Gah, I've turned into a memorizing machine.

Much love,
Richie

Yes they sell mattresses. Actually I didn't include a Mattress Warehouse in the list of three stores. Also didn't include the Lowes, WalMart, or K-Mart in the list of three either and they all sell some furniture. If you get too sick of the small town Beckley, (large town by WV standards) is only 40 min away and Roanoke VA isn't much further although in thr opposite direction.