Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! Is anyone here interviewing on March 5th? Maybe we can go together. I see that 75% of people interviewed are accepted yay!!! =)
Im interviewing on the 5th also!! But im coming from NJ :/
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey everyone! Is anyone here interviewing on March 5th? Maybe we can go together. I see that 75% of people interviewed are accepted yay!!! =)
Accepted! Not sure if WVSOM is where im headed yet. I missed out on the tour of the school because of weather so I may be making a trip back up there to check it out.
So if people who interviewed last week got an acceptance or decision Holla. Are they usually right on time as far as being able to give decision the Tuesday of the week after the interview?
Not always. I found out 2 1/2 weeks after my interview. Depends on how busy they are...and granted, I interviewed on April 3rd last year...pretty late. You may hear today since it's earlier on. I'll cross my fingers for you, good luck!
If you were going on the tour on feb 5th I know your pain, I was supposed to be on that tour.
I've been lurking and finally decided to register. My status just changed to "decision deffered" and am bummed I didn't get an interview invite. Anyone else that was in the position and still get an invite?
Yea, that was my interview day. It was very short, and ended with a 5 1/2 hour drive home going 35 mph haha.
Soo...I have an interview in a couple weeks and I'm having trouble finding a place to stay! Most of the hotels/inns in the area seem to be pretty expensive and almost half of them don't have any room's available for when I need them! Anyone have suggestions as to where they stayed for their interviews?
thanks 🙂
Anyone interviewing on 2/26? I'm a little worried about traveling through the storm..
Soo...I have an interview in a couple weeks and I'm having trouble finding a place to stay! Most of the hotels/inns in the area seem to be pretty expensive and almost half of them don't have any room's available for when I need them! Anyone have suggestions as to where they stayed for their interviews?
thanks 🙂
Anyone from the current students at WVSOM that can speare some advise in regards websites with house rentals. Couldn't find anything on craigslist, barely any photos of Lewisburg on the net.
Help is greatly appreciated
Anyone from the current students at WVSOM that can speare some advise in regards websites with house rentals. Couldn't find anything on craigslist, barely any photos of Lewisburg on the net.
Help is greatly appreciated
I have stayed at the following
Days inn was nice, had a continental breakfast and cost 60 dollars
Hapmton Inn was great, amazing breakfast, super nice staff, free shuttle (a must if you dont have a car there, no taxis), and only 90 a night.
Also I have walked through the General Lewis Inn. It is really cool, and old fashioned (mot modern), however the rooms are a bit small.
Thank you everyone for your responses. I will check the link out after I submit my check.
They say we should pay an initial deposit of $2000 and a second one of $1000 by March 15th. Both by March 15th or just the first one?
I still can't get over it.....I am soooo happyyy 😀😍
Thank you Bio101
yes I was accepted this past Tuesday, so I might need to send the entire $3000 by March 15th, thanks for the input
anyone know if the class is full yet? and r the ppl still interviewing for actual spots in the class, just wondering?
I doubt it...it is still kinda early...I would say like 75%?....I mean I think they interview until late April or early may.
Actually, this time last year, the class was entirely full. I interviewed April 3 and it was for the alternate list only. I was invited for that interview at the end of February--the class was full by the beginning of March. I don't know if history will repeat itself, but this was at least the case for the 08-09 application cycle.
Accepted! Not sure if WVSOM is where im headed yet. I missed out on the tour of the school because of weather so I may be making a trip back up there to check it out.
I interviewed on the 5th too and totally missed the tour. I was planning to head back as well but I'm not sure of when cause of all the weather
Thanks for the correction MissDo!
Good news to you guys!
I did not submit my deposit today meaning one more spot is open for someone!
I really really loved the school but I will be saving 150K by going to another med school.
A little sad about the decision. If only it wasn't so expensive.
Congrats 🙂Just got accepted online today. Really excited!!! Let the journey begin.
Well I mean you can go to lecom and save about 80 grand but I didn't know you could you save 150 grand going to another school. Where is that I would like to know as well?
The cost of attendance (COA) at WVSOM ~ 80K/year (I called the FA and it will be a lil higher for 3rd and 4th year, but this doesn't really matter) So lets just say ~80K/year
Total WVSOM = 320K
Lets pick LECOM as an example which is ~ 55K (Any school that falls between 50 and 60K COA will end up saving you ~ 150K in reality)
Total LECOM = 220K
I plan to pay my loans back in 10 years (which is done by the majority). There is a stafford loan max of 224K meaning that the extra I would have to pay at WVSOM would all have ~7% interest rate, just averaging out a loan that is not fixed rate. However it is more likely that students will use the Graduate Plus Loans which have an 8.5% rate so you don't have to worry about fluxtuating rates. It depends how fast you pay them back but with monthly payments over a ten year period you will be paying about 50K just from the additional 100K COA difference (I don't want to get to the nits and grits of it but 50K is being lenient.) With the 8.5% Plus loans you will be paying 60-70K in interest over 10 years.
So total saving ~100K from COA difference alone and ~50-70K from interest = ~150K.
A lot of people pay there loans back over longer periods (20 years or so) totaling a savings over 200K vs WVSOM.
If you are going into primary care/millitary at WVSOM then it is definitely worth it. I cannot make that commitment however.
I know a portion is from interest, it still is money tho you will have to pay back.
I was truly thinking about still going to WVSOM but I know I can still get the same education elsewhere also.
Hope this helps.
My status changed to "accept with contingency". Not quite sure what that means, but idk how they are going to mail me a letter explaining this before the 1500 + 2000 is due by March 15th, which is next week.
The cost of attendance (COA) at WVSOM ~ 80K/year (I called the FA and it will be a lil higher for 3rd and 4th year, but this doesn't really matter) So lets just say ~80K/year
Total WVSOM = 320K
Lets pick LECOM as an example which is ~ 55K (Any school that falls between 50 and 60K COA will end up saving you ~ 150K in reality)
Total LECOM = 220K
I plan to pay my loans back in 10 years (which is done by the majority). There is a stafford loan max of 224K meaning that the extra I would have to pay at WVSOM would all have ~7% interest rate, just averaging out a loan that is not fixed rate. However it is more likely that students will use the Graduate Plus Loans which have an 8.5% rate so you don't have to worry about fluxtuating rates. It depends how fast you pay them back but with monthly payments over a ten year period you will be paying about 50K just from the additional 100K COA difference (I don't want to get to the nits and grits of it but 50K is being lenient.) With the 8.5% Plus loans you will be paying 60-70K in interest over 10 years.
So total saving ~100K from COA difference alone and ~50-70K from interest = ~150K.
A lot of people pay there loans back over longer periods (20 years or so) totaling a savings over 200K vs WVSOM.
If you are going into primary care/millitary at WVSOM then it is definitely worth it. I cannot make that commitment however.
I know a portion is from interest, it still is money tho you will have to pay back.
I was truly thinking about still going to WVSOM but I know I can still get the same education elsewhere also.
Hope this helps.
I believe WVSOM has this program in which you spend an extra year as a GTA working for the school, they will cut off three years of your tuition. Couldn't that save you more money then?
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.