WVSOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I figured I'd poke in to say that I canceled my 3/4 interview. They seemed to be strictly against rescheduling, but if any of you later interviewees want to try to bump yours up, there's a spot.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

This school is awesome. I'm ready to start. And stuff.

Just to let you all know, Lewisburg, WV just won the Budget Travel's "America's Coolest Small Town" contest, beating out 80 other nominated towns in the US....so you aren't just going to any regular small town :laugh::laugh:

But really though, the town WILL grow on you and you will actually miss it once you move away for your 3rd year rotations.

Also, you will have PLENTY to do, so going out should be the least of your concerns at this point. Compare what the schools have to offer.

P.S...if you study in the library, there is this really nice lady that works here that brings free food and things she has baked like 3-4 times a week...:)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

so ive been waiting around to hear frm wvsom. I applied end of sep n my app has been "on hold" for a bit now. I called last week and they said they should be getting around to re-reviewing my app in the upcoming weeks.

3.3 cum gpa, 3.0 sci gpa, 24R mcat. Alot of research and clinical experience. Recently published a manuscript in PBB journal.

With that kind of stats and background, do you guys think I still have a shot? I know its really late in the cycle now and i dont think im very competitive but I wanted to know if anyone with stats like that has gotten an interview this cycle. pls help

hey guys,

so ive been waiting around to hear frm wvsom. I applied end of sep n my app has been "on hold" for a bit now. I called last week and they said they should be getting around to re-reviewing my app in the upcoming weeks.

3.3 cum gpa, 3.0 sci gpa, 24R mcat. Alot of research and clinical experience. Recently published a manuscript in PBB journal.

With that kind of stats and background, do you guys think I still have a shot? I know its really late in the cycle now and i dont think im very competitive but I wanted to know if anyone with stats like that has gotten an interview this cycle. pls help

I don't think your quit dead in the water yet, I had stats pretty similar to yours and I got accepted, so never say never. It's possible you could still get an invite in the next month. Wish you luck.

hey guys,

I think you still have a chance, keep your chin up. If you wanted to go an extra mile you could write a letter to admission stating why you really want to go here and why they should accept you. Every little bit helps. Admissions doesn't just look at grades.

Anyone interviewing on 2/25? I get to take you all to lunch at the General Lewis Inn :)

I think you still have a chance, keep your chin up. If you wanted to go an extra mile you could write a letter to admission stating why you really want to go here and why they should accept you. Every little bit helps. Admissions doesn't just look at grades.

Thanks! I think I'll do that. Do you think an e-mail will be sufficient or should I actually mail out a printed letter?

Thanks! I think I'll do that. Do you think an e-mail will be sufficient or should I actually mail out a printed letter?

I think a letter would look much better than an email honestly.

I've received an interview invite for march 18. Do you think I still have a shot of getting accepted or do you think that they are possibly interviewing for alternate positions?? I really like what WVSOM has to offer so Im hoping its the former and not the latter.

I've received an interview invite for march 18. Do you think I still have a shot of getting accepted or do you think that they are possibly interviewing for alternate positions?? I really like what WVSOM has to offer so Im hoping its the former and not the latter.

I don't think anyone other than admissions knows that, and every school does it differently. I know that they interview until sometime in April.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha wise minds think alike:) But i don't think so b/c in order to be a resident of a state you have to have a WV address for 1 year, have a job (tax return), and have a drivers license for the state (or at least this is what i was told by the students we had lunch with) so he would fall in to the same shoe as you.
But if you have him be a resident now and do the above list, give in your deposit for the school and postpone the acceptance for one year you might beat the system lol :idea:. But maybe first we should first get our acceptance letter before trying to find loopholes :).

As far as I remember, your fiance would have to be a WV resident one year prior to you applying.

Admissions will not take anything that is not through ACOMAS. Your best bet is to keep calling and showing admissions how professional and dedicated you are to Osteopathic medicine.

Although the topic is so last week, I just wanted to add my .02 on the town's size. Prior to moving to Lewisburg, I lived in Atlanta for 15 years, which has a population of 3-5 million, depending on which counties we include. I've also lived in San Antonio (TX), Rochester (MN), and Dayton (OH), so I feel comfortable saying I've run the gamut as far as experience with cities/towns of varying size.

I had the same apprehensions some have stated regarding the population; how will I survive? After living here for half a year, I can assure you that there is enough to do in your limited free time. Lewisburg has quite a few oddities that save it from being a typical small town, which is probably why I've come to enjoy it here... sort of a two-year vacation away from the city.

As an aside, WVSOM "specializes" in training rural docs. Check out this article that just came out today. While obviously not every WVSOM grad goes this route, it is the flavor Kool-Aid they serve. If you have such a strong aversion to "rural" in general, maybe WVSOM wouldn't be the best choice for you.

Does anyone have any opinions on where to live? Ive been on the school's site where they list the housing. Any good places? and any real bad ones to stay away from?

Does anyone have any opinions on where to live? Ive been on the school's site where they list the housing. Any good places? and any real bad ones to stay away from?

Don't live with a couple, even if you are a couple because that will be really hard for you to have privacy. If you chose to live with someone, make sure you get to really know them before you sign a lease. Try to find a roommate that is in your class. That way you will always have someone who is sharing the medical school experience with you. Also, If you have the resources, live alone! I have been having so many problems with my housemate bringing her husband over all the time that I am moving out to get some peace of mind.

The housing list is probably the best guide as to finding a living arrangement for next year. Here's a tip about that: It gets updated every Friday, so keep your eye open for the updates today.

There's no "real bad" places in Lewisburg due to its size. If you are a single student with no family, you will have an easier time finding a place. I'd go with proximity to the school over most any factor, but to be honest there's no where in city limits that's more than 1.5 miles to the school.

There's not much in Lewisburg in terms of apartments. There are some fairly new condos on Blackbird Way that are maybe a little pricey but very close to school. There are also some recently built quad-houses (4 BR/4BA) with a shared living area in Fairlea. Everything else you will find will be standard housing. I'd recommend avoiding housing in Ronceverte because the travel distance is unnecessary and there's a long steep hill. I also don't recommend buying a house in Lewisburg because most won't be in town longer than 2 years anyways.

Try to secure housing as soon as you can; availability is limited. You can probably find roomates via the Facebook page, assuming one was set up by incoming students as it was last year. Search this thread for mention of such a page.

Canceling my interview for March 18th if anybody wants to try to grab it. It's a lovely school I'm sure but I can't bear the OOS tuition and plus I'm into a school I like :D.

edit: It's done! It hurts to cancel, esp. to SUCH nice school reps. *sigh BUT it had to be done.

Canceling my interview for March 18th if anybody wants to try to grab it. It's a lovely school I'm sure but I can't bear the OOS tuition and plus I'm into a school I like :D.

edit: It's done! It hurts to cancel, esp. to SUCH nice school reps. *sigh BUT it had to be done.
It is more difficult to decline an acceptance. Itis great school.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your MCAT and GPA stat? I really want to get an interview but my MCAT is on the lower side.

My interview date is March 16, anyone else going there on the same date?

do you guys mind sharing your stats? i am looking into applying into WVSOM, but I am not sure if my stats are good enough. My GPA is a 3.75, science is a 3.71, First mcat was a 22Q (9 in scinces, 4 in verbal) retook it, got a 240 (10 PS, 8 BS, 6 VR). I dont know if these stas will make the cut. My ECS and I work as a volunteer emt at an unserved clinic and have outstanding letter of recs form my pre-health commitee

do you guys mind sharing your stats? i am looking into applying into WVSOM, but I am not sure if my stats are good enough. My GPA is a 3.75, science is a 3.71, First mcat was a 22Q (9 in scinces, 4 in verbal) retook it, got a 240 (10 PS, 8 BS, 6 VR). I dont know if these stas will make the cut. My ECS and I work as a volunteer emt at an unserved clinic and have outstanding letter of recs form my pre-health commitee

I could be wrong but I believe the last day to submit for WVSOM was Feb. 15th.

oh lol...I applying for the 2012 cycle. sorry didnt make it clear

Your stats are fine.

I have my interview March 16. Does anyone have any tips for me, any specific questions that they ask. Also how long did it take for you to hear back for acceptances. Thanks.

I have my interview March 16. Does anyone have any tips for me, any specific questions that they ask. Also how long did it take for you to hear back for acceptances. Thanks.

There is a much longer list of WVSOM interview questions on here somewhere, maybe try the 2009-2010 thread if its not in this one, but for myself and everyone I talked to here were the basics.

Very friendly and laid back. About 30min. Questions were...

Tell us about yourself
Why DO? (more or less, they actual question was more about my experience with DO and OMM)
Why WVSOM?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Good luck and don't get too stressed! Its a very friendly place, have fun and smile!

I heard back really quickly. Interviewed on a friday, status changed online the following tuesday, official letter in the mail by the end of the week.

Here are the questions I compiled when I interviewed. I pretty much did one for each school that I interviewed at...ofcourse, a lot the questions were the same (ie..why do you want to become a DO). These covered pretty much 95% of all the questions that I was asked at my interviews. Make sure you type out answers to all the questions and review the sheet at least a few times before the interview (ie..on your flight to Lewisburg & the night before in the hotel room). Hopefully it helps:

.Things to bring with you: A COPY of all correspondence that you have sent this school. If .anything is missing, you can provide your return receipt and your copy. A copy of your personal statement and secondary - often interview questions will come from these documents. Bring these items in a folder along with an index card where you can write the names of anyone (office staff, dean of admissions, interviewer etc) that was especially helpful to you for thank-you notes. You should write your thank-you note to the Dean of Admissions with courtesy copies to everyone who helped you out on interview day (mainly after you get accepted)...

.1) .Look at Studentnetwork interview reviews: http://more.studentdoctor.net/schoollist.php?type=1..
.2) .Review AACOMAS application
.3) .Review secondary application..
.4) S.chool website and catalog..

.NAME OF DO SHADOWED:

.LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED:

.LAST BOOK READ:

.CURRENTLY READING: .
.IF YOU DID RESEARCH, GIVE A SUMMARY IN A COUPLE SENTENCES OF WHAT YOU DID.

.Questions:.

1. .Besides WVSOM, what brings you to the Lewisburg area?.
  2. .What do you think the most difficult thing will be when you start medical school?.
  3. .If you are struggling in your first semester and aren't doing so well, what will you do?.
  4. .How many hours a week do you study?.
  5. .Why DO, what piqued interest in OMM?.
  6. .Why osteopathic medicine?
  7. .Why WVSOM?.
  8. .Would you stay in West Virginia once you finished school?.
  9. .Tell us about yourself..
  10. .Where do you see yourself in 10 years?.
  11. .Compare your undergrad experience to what you hope to get in medical school..
  12. .How do you explain Osteopathic medicine to your friends who are unfamiliar with it?.
  13. .What was your hardest class in college?.
  14. .Why rural medicine instead of inner city work for underserved areas?.
  15. .How did you feel about getting a (enter your worst letter grade in collage) in (enter the class you got your worst letter grade)?.
  16. .Difference between DO and MD?.
  17. .What is your weakness? (make sure you spin this into into a positive...ie...I said I was a perfectionist...so it's bad sometimes but good others)..
  18. .How did osteopathic medicine start?.
  19. .What would you do if you didn't get accepted to school this year?.
  20. .Anything that you want to share that we haven't discussed? (don't just say NO....pick something good that you did in college or wherever that wasn't mentioned in your personal statement....ie...I said I was a TA in in one of my classes in college, and a quick summary on that).
  21. .Teach me something (ie...I talked about a "fat gene" & "brain aging")...something I looked up in a science research magazine.
  22. .Who would you name as the .Time Magazine Person of the Year? ..
  23. .Who to invite to dinner? .
  24. .IMPORTANT ISSUE TOPICS - remember...there's no right or wrong answer...they just want to see that you're able to talk about these issues
    .1) Abortion.
    .2) Stem cell research.
    .3) Future state of health care .
    .4) Modern problems (ie...obesity, health care, FDA control on food inspections, infant death..etc..etc).
  25. .3 adjectives describing myself:.
  26. .Do you have any questions for us? (YES...you HAVE to come up with a couple questions to ask them...don't just say no..)

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck

Last edited:
Your coming cuz according to the signature this is the only place you have been accepted.

Alright, where's this guy at now? I just got accepted to an allo school and I'm still going to Lewisburg. :smuggrin:

Alright, where's this guy at now? I just got accepted to an allo school and I'm still going to Lewisburg. :smuggrin:

Unfortunately, I will be unable to see you.

I chose another school over Lewisburg, but I do wish you luck in your future.

Let me know if I can be of any assisstance.

Here are the questions I compiled when I interviewed. I pretty much did one for each school that I interviewed at...ofcourse, a lot the questions were the same (ie..why do you want to become a DO). These covered pretty much 95% of all the questions that I was asked at my interviews. Make sure you type out answers to all the questions and review the sheet at least a few times before the interview (ie..on your flight to Lewisburg & the night before in the hotel room). Hopefully it helps:

.Things to bring with you: A COPY of all correspondence that you have sent this school. If .anything is missing, you can provide your return receipt and your copy. A copy of your personal statement and secondary - often interview questions will come from these documents. Bring these items in a folder along with an index card where you can write the names of anyone (office staff, dean of admissions, interviewer etc) that was especially helpful to you for thank-you notes. You should write your thank-you note to the Dean of Admissions with courtesy copies to everyone who helped you out on interview day (mainly after you get accepted)...

.1) .Look at Studentnetwork interview reviews: http://more.studentdoctor.net/schoollist.php?type=1..
.2) .Review AACOMAS application .
.3) .Review secondary application..
.4) S.chool website and catalog..

.NAME OF DO SHADOWED: .

.LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED: .

.LAST BOOK READ: .

.CURRENTLY READING: .
.IF YOU DID RESEARCH, GIVE A SUMMARY IN A COUPLE SENTENCES OF WHAT YOU DID.

.Questions:.

1. .Besides WVSOM, what brings you to the Lewisburg area?.
  2. .What do you think the most difficult thing will be when you start medical school?.
  3. .If you are struggling in your first semester and aren't doing so well, what will you do?.
  4. .How many hours a week do you study?.
  5. .Why DO, what piqued interest in OMM?.
  6. .Why osteopathic medicine?
  7. .Why WVSOM?.
  8. .Would you stay in West Virginia once you finished school?.
  9. .Tell us about yourself..
  10. .Where do you see yourself in 10 years?.
  11. .Compare your undergrad experience to what you hope to get in medical school..
  12. .How do you explain Osteopathic medicine to your friends who are unfamiliar with it?.
  13. .What was your hardest class in college?.
  14. .Why rural medicine instead of inner city work for underserved areas?.
  15. .How did you feel about getting a (enter your worst letter grade in collage) in (enter the class you got your worst letter grade)?.
  16. .Difference between DO and MD?.
  17. .What is your weakness? (make sure you spin this into into a positive...ie...I said I was a perfectionist...so it's bad sometimes but good others)..
  18. .How did osteopathic medicine start?.
  19. .What would you do if you didn’t get accepted to school this year?.
  20. .Anything that you want to share that we haven’t discussed? (don't just say NO....pick something good that you did in college or wherever that wasn't mentioned in your personal statement....ie...I said I was a TA in in one of my classes in college, and a quick summary on that).
  21. .Teach me something (ie...I talked about a "fat gene" & "brain aging")...something I looked up in a science research magazine.
  22. .Who would you name as the .Time Magazine Person of the Year? ..
  23. .Who to invite to dinner? .
  24. .IMPORTANT ISSUE TOPICS - remember...there's no right or wrong answer...they just want to see that you're able to talk about these issues
    .1) Abortion.
    .2) Stem cell research.
    .3) Future state of health care .
    .4) Modern problems (ie...obesity, health care, FDA control on food inspections, infant death..etc..etc).
  25. .3 adjectives describing myself:.
  26. .Do you have any questions for us? (YES...you HAVE to come up with a couple questions to ask them...don't just say no..)

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck
great info. thanks

I am new to SDN. By chance anyone here interviewed on 3/2/11 and heard back?

Unfortunately, I will be unable to see you.

I chose another school over Lewisburg, but I do wish you luck in your future.

Let me know if I can be of any assisstance.

Good for you! I am glad things worked out for you. To be honest, I dont think WVSOM was the right for you anyways. People here are extremely attached to this notion of professionalism which from your previous posts doesn't seem to be your strength. Just a heads up for the future: Yes, this is a forum, however you should be on your best behavior because it is very easy to figure out your identity. If a student can deduce this, an administrator surely can. Also, insulting someones intelligence is not a quality any physician should display. Maybe this would be a good time to reevaluate your attitude before your preceptor fails you during a rotation in your third year? I don't mean to attack you, this is meant to be constructive. Also, I think you owe OMGlizards an apology for your unecessarily demeaning comment.

Hey guys...I've been placed on the alternate list after interviewing on 3/4...any of you guys in the same boat?

Hey guys...I've been placed on the alternate list after interviewing on 3/4...any of you guys in the same boat?

Did they do that, because their out of seats? Has anyone been put on the alternate list in the past month, this year? How did your interview go?

Did they do that, because their out of seats? Has anyone been put on the alternate list in the past month, this year? How did your interview go?

I was placed on alternate as well recently.

Chances are that you were put on the list because the class is tentatively full. If you're decently high on the list you still probably have pretty good chances. I interviewed 2/18 and my deposit isn't even due until 3/11 so there may be people who chose to not matriculate. Good luck none the less!

Hi all!!

Does anyone know if we have to get new license plates and driver's licenses for WV? I know that WV has strict rules for becoming a resident, and I wasn't sure if the 30 day license plate renewal law applied to non-residents/students. Thanks!!

Hi all!!

Does anyone know if we have to get new license plates and driver's licenses for WV? I know that WV has strict rules for becoming a resident, and I wasn't sure if the 30 day license plate renewal law applied to non-residents/students. Thanks!!

No you don't have to, unless you want to become a resident of the state. Half of the cars at the school have out of state plates.

Just want to wish all that are still waiting for a decision the best of luck! As for the accepted, I am excited in getting to know my class mates!

I interviewed last week and was put on the alternate list as well. I was just wondering how many people usually get off of the
list and get in.

So I have to choose between WVSOM and WVU. Anybody in a similar situation have any advice?

So I have to choose between WVSOM and WVU. Anybody in a similar situation have any advice?

Wait if you were accepted at wvsom before march 15, shouldn't have you placed in your deposit by now. It has to be due by march 15, so how do you still have time?