WVSOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^ Yes and no!

I typed up a 5-6 hundred word essay and it went just fine. I don't know that you'd want to make it much larger than that anyway.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview on the 21st... anyone else interviewing on this date?

Hey 22mNY, I am interviewing on the 21st! Are you in the morning or afternoon?

^ Yes and no!

I typed up a 5-6 hundred word essay and it went just fine. I don't know that you'd want to make it much larger than that anyway.

Good luck!

hi, thnx for the info. The secondary app is online right? If so, you're saying that the box where you input the essay just lets you type forever?

Members don't see this ad :)
^ It's an online form you fill out, print, and mail. There is a box for you to copy and paste the essay and it renders it into a printable format. It didn't indicate a character limit so there very well may not be one.

Yeah man, I think I interviewed right before you did. Glad to hear that it worked out for both of us!

I'm so excited! I get to rotate through Surgery. Yes!

I am very aware of the dissections. That was one of the first things I found out about Marshall. I was talking to a surgery resident in a Marshall residency and he said that that was unfortunate. Up until I found out about the prosections Marshall was a top pick for me. I'm sure it's a good program, but I have a much better feel about the WVSOM program.

I didn't know about the sharing of Bone Boxes. That would be disappointing. Please share any other nuggets you have. Thanks for the advice!!

Next year, it is very possible that the class of 2014 will be available to tutor the class of 2015.

Also, in the second semester of your first year, in clinical skills you will learn the procedure for conducting a female pelvic and breast exam and a male pelvic and prostate exam on a REAL person. I know it's weird that I find this so exciting, but I saw a live cervix for the first time yesterday!!! :) And according to the organization we work with, WVSOM is the only osteopathic school they serve!

^ It's an online form you fill out, print, and mail. There is a box for you to copy and paste the essay and it renders it into a printable format. It didn't indicate a character limit so there very well may not be one.

Ah OK ty for the info. Are we suppose to answer both questions in one essay or two separate essays?

Next year, it is very possible that the class of 2014 will be available to tutor the class of 2015.
Second year mentors are indeed awesome. Also of note is the wealth of resource material available to the students. Every day, the new lectures are loaded online after they are a given so if you missed class or need to re-hear the content it's all there. Even the previous year is available, so you could listen to a different professor explain the material if you so choose.

withdrawing from my interview, hopefully one of you get it...good luck

Charleston is a more direct drive down the toll road. Unless of course you get a really good rate at at Roanoke.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone, I have an interview this Wednesday the 26th which I am really excited about! Since I am driving up from North Carolina and we are suppose to have snow on Tuesday I am heading up early and wanted to ask for those of you that already interviewed or the students currently there if they could recommend a good restaurant for me to eat at the night before.

Thanks!

Hey Everyone, I have an interview this Wednesday the 26th which I am really excited about! Since I am driving up from North Carolina and we are suppose to have snow on Tuesday I am heading up early and wanted to ask for those of you that already interviewed or the students currently there if they could recommend a good restaurant for me to eat at the night before.

Thanks!

If you can afford it go to The Stardust Cafe, I've been to Lewisburg quite a few times since my brother graduated there and that place is legit. I didn't have time to go there when I interviewed last month but I would've if I could have.

Tuition at WVSOM is $49,000 for out of state. Tuition at VCOM is $35,000. Tuition at LMU-DCOM is $33,000. Pikeville-COM is $33,000.

What sets WVSOM apart from these other schools and is that factor (or factors) worth an additional $15,000 per year, roughly?

It just seems like a lot in comparison to other schools in the same region and I'm not sure how else to say what I'm asking.

From your list, only Pikeville and WVSOM are on US News Best Medical School list--and Pikeville just got on that list a few years ago. WVSOM has been recognized as one of the best medical schools for over a decade. What sets WVSOM apart is extra things we get. Our campus is technologically advanced with microphones and laptop charging stations at every desk. Laptops are provided with our tuition so when students take computer exams, all required material is already installed. Our anatomy lab has the best ventilation systems from any medical school I have seen. It doesn't smell at all! As well, each student receives a full set of bones for anatomy. Most schools make you share with your anatomy group or make you rent it out. The administrators actually listen to student complaints and are willing to help out as much as they can. I would like someone to find me friendlier admissions ladies, because honestly I think Angie, Annette, and Kim are the friendliest. The townspeople wish us good luck when we have exams and turn in our expensive electronics to our administrators when we leave them at the bar. Our professors show up to known student study spots on the night before an exam to answer any last minute questions, even though the big football game is on. And if you don't want to wait until Sunday, there is an open door policy at WVSOM. If you want to talk to a professor, they will not turn you away. We start our patient care training in our first year. As far as I know, WVSOM is the only osteopathic school in this region that hires trained standardized patients to walk us through genital inspection labs. I know how to do a pap smear, vaginal inspection, rectal inspection and prostate exam...and it's only my second semester of my first year! We even have a handful of robotic patients--one that even gives birth. As for Lewisburg itself, it is one of the coolest small towns. A few minutes away from WVSOM is the Greenbrier Hotel, a beautiful 5 star resort. There are so many other amazing things that I cannot think of at the moment.

Yes, tuition is a lot, but tuition at other schools is cheaper for a reason. In my opinion, they are giving you the minimum. At WVSOM, you will get your money's worth of an education.

Tuition at WVSOM is $49,000 for out of state. Tuition at VCOM is $35,000. Tuition at LMU-DCOM is $33,000. Pikeville-COM is $33,000.

What sets WVSOM apart from these other schools and is that factor (or factors) worth an additional $15,000 per year, roughly?

It just seems like a lot in comparison to other schools in the same region and I'm not sure how else to say what I'm asking.

JDaly82,

Food and Friends on Washington St is an excellent restaurant. All food is homemade and delicious. Many things on the menu are reasonable in terms of price especially for what you get, but it can get expensive. Stardust is a really good place, too, but I felt it is better for lunch than dinner. You won't go wrong with either one.

Thanks!

You can also check out Fujiyama, which is a new japanese restaurant in Lewisburg. Also, Carlito's has good Mexican Food. If you want a really good burger, drive to White Sulfur Springs and go to the Mason Jar (you'll pass the Greenbrier on the way, so you can check that out as well). Food & Friends also has pretty good food, and it's downtown.

Also make sure to consider the Comlex level 1 pass rate. Class of 2011 had a 92% 1st time pass rate. Class of 2012 had an 80% 1st time pass rate. No change in the curriculum at all, and Kaplan course was offered (and mandatory) to both classes. We'll see how my class does later this year.

Yes, tuition is a lot, but tuition at other schools is cheaper for a reason. In my opinion, they are giving you the minimum. At WVSOM, you will get your money's worth of an education.

Very thorough reply, thank you! In regards to facilities and faculty it sounds more comparable to LMU-DCOM than the others, based on your feedback, so it will be interesting to compare the two facilities. Of course, we can't compare length of establishment and all of the intangibles but those too are worth something!

I'm looking at primary care and the debt load at WVSOM makes me nervous. That was really the reason for my question.

Thanks again!

Very thorough reply, thank you! In regards to facilities and faculty it sounds more comparable to LMU-DCOM than the others, based on your feedback, so it will be interesting to compare the two facilities. Of course, we can't compare length of establishment and all of the intangibles but those too are worth something!

I'm looking at primary care and the debt load at WVSOM makes me nervous. That was really the reason for my question.

Thanks again!

I interviewed at DCOM as well before choosing WVSOM, and the facilities at WVSOM are MUCH better. If you want to be cooped up in one building which is shared between the other medical professions, then choose DCOM. If you want an actual campus dedicated just to med students, then WVSOM is the place. Let us know know what you think if you interview at both of these places.

Also make sure to consider the Comlex level 1 pass rate. Class of 2011 had a 92% 1st time pass rate. Class of 2012 had an 80% 1st time pass rate. No change in the curriculum at all, and Kaplan course was offered (and mandatory) to both classes. We'll see how my class does later this year.

There wasn't a major change to curriculum, but there was a huge increase in class size. From what I heard, admissions accepted students that would not have been admitted in the smaller class. I bet Classes of 2013 and 2014 will score much higher than the past classes.

There wasn't a major change to curriculum, but there was a huge increase in class size. From what I heard, admissions accepted students that would not have been admitted in the smaller class. I bet Classes of 2013 and 2014 will score much higher than the past classes.

I really hope so :)

Thank you mbh11, DocSappo and koojo for the suggestions, I appreciate it!

I would like to inform you that I have an Interview at WVSOM on February 9th. This is my first interview, and any advice/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have not booked any hotel or any airlines. If anyone who is interviewing that day would like to possibly hang out for a couple hours prior or post interview than that would be amazing.

Once again, February 9th, 2011. Please PM if you would possibly like to meet up, or even if you would like to give me some suggestions regarding Interviews.

The essay when i type it into secondary scrolls down, but does it print like that or how does that work...i think the scroll print doesnt print the whole essay

Also how do u do the secondary fee? personal check? cashiers check? cash?

The essay when i type it into secondary scrolls down, but does it print like that or how does that work...i think the scroll print doesnt print the whole essay

Also how do u do the secondary fee? personal check? cashiers check? cash?

When you finish the secondary it goes to a formated page for printing. I don't remember how I paid the secondary, I think I just enclosed a check with the supp materials.

I have an interview March 14th. Does anyone know how filled the class is by then?

I have an interview March 14th. Does anyone know how filled the class is by then?

Class will be filled on the 13th. Sorry.

trollface.jpg

hahaha but seriously im from NY and was just wondering how many people usually get in after the interview

Still deferred since July. :(. I've given up hope. I heard so many good things about the school, I really wanted to interview.

lol....how many accepted from Florida?

Depends on how qualified you are. They don't really care where you are from. Just a heads up that Spirit Air is now Flying from Ft. Lauderdale to Charleston, WV. I don't know if it's any cheaper but it's worth checking out if you are from that area in Florida.

Depends on how qualified you are. They don't really care where you are from. Just a heads up that Spirit Air is now Flying from Ft. Lauderdale to Charleston, WV. I don't know if it's any cheaper but it's worth checking out if you are from that area in Florida.

Well I meant how many are accepted from Florida as of now...+1 :)

Deferred since July, Interview invite 1/21/2011 for February 9, 2011
Stats: 24S and 3.7sGPA

Still deferred since July. :(. I've given up hope. I heard so many good things about the school, I really wanted to interview.

Well I meant how many are accepted from Florida as of now...+1 :)

You could be from Florida or BFE... Your still out of state and it does not matter, theydont st there and say "hey we have 2 from Florida, no more ." Who knows how many people are accepted from Florida unless you ask everyone that has been accepted where they are from. Bottom line, if your stats are good enough and you have been given an interview your being highly considered regardless of where you are from. CTFO

Last edited:
Anyone who interviewed last week hear anything? I interviewed on Friday and I know they said we might hear back today or next Tuesday...

Anyone who interviewed last week hear anything? I interviewed on Friday and I know they said we might hear back today or next Tuesday...

I interviewed last wed ( the 19th ) and haven't heard anything yet. I will post if I do. Best wishes on getting in. I'm so anxious and excited to hear back.

I would like to inform you that I have an Interview at WVSOM on February 9th. This is my first interview, and any advice/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have not booked any hotel or any airlines. If anyone who is interviewing that day would like to possibly hang out for a couple hours prior or post interview than that would be amazing.

Once again, February 9th, 2011. Please PM if you would possibly like to meet up, or even if you would like to give me some suggestions regarding Interviews

I interviewed last wed ( the 19th ) and haven't heard anything yet. I will post if I do. Best wishes on getting in. I'm so anxious and excited to hear back.

By the way, it is suppose to be snowing there in Lewisburg today and tomorrow, so it could be they wont get back to us as fast as they got to other students. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

By the way, it is suppose to be snowing there in Lewisburg today and tomorrow, so it could be they wont get back to us as fast as they got to other students. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The weather has been nasty in my part of West Virginia, I'm sure its worse there. We will all find out soon enough. It's so nice to have other people in the same circumstance to talk to.
Best of luck everyone!

From what I gathered about the notification process is that it would happen on a Tuesday. So since it didn't happen yesterday, hopefully it will be THIS Tuesday....and its not just a silent rejection for me :) I have another interview in Chicago on Thursday next week and I havent booked my flight yet....crossing my fingers I'll hear good news from WVSOM so I don't have to go! Ahhhh...I bring this all on myself!

Hello everyone,

Its good to hear good things about WVSOM. I have an interview Feb. 21st and I am about to submit my letters of recommendation. I was wondering if you guys think it would be ok for my physician letter to be from an M.D. rather than a D.O.? Reason being is I already have a letter from an M.D. who I've done research with for 4 years and I think his letter would be a lot more personal, since I don't know many D.O.'s very well. Do you guys think this would be appropriate?
Thanks!
Dan

Hey madskillz1358:
What's your GPA and MCAT if you don't mind me asking? When did they notify you about the interview? Thanks.

Once again, February 9th, 2011. Please PM if you would possibly like to meet up, or even if you would like to give me some suggestions regarding Interviews

The weather has been nasty in my part of West Virginia, I'm sure its worse there. We will all find out soon enough. It's so nice to have other people in the same circumstance to talk to.
Best of luck everyone!

Thanks Teresa we interviewed on the 21st so that probably means we will here from them at the same time once they have made a decision:). Have your fingers crossed. I am assuming your from WV so you definitely should have a problem getting in! (and luck you for the cheaper instate tuition. one of the students said that the only way for an out of stater to have the tuition cut is if they get married to someone from WV hmmm maybe i've found my match! lol :idea:)

Thanks Teresa we interviewed on the 21st so that probably means we will here from them at the same time once they have made a decision:). Have your fingers crossed. I am assuming your from WV so you definitely should have a problem getting in! (and luck you for the cheaper instate tuition. one of the students said that the only way for an out of stater to have the tuition cut is if they get married to someone from WV hmmm maybe i've found my match! lol :idea:)

I'm getting married right before school would start..I wonder if there is a way for my fiance to become a WV resident quick??! If I get accepted that is.... :)