WVSOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone who interviewed last week hear anything? I interviewed on Friday and I know they said we might hear back today or next Tuesday...

If the three people who interviewed you have to sit down to make decisions, then I can see why they haven't had the opportunity to meet at the same time. Most of the DOs that interviewed you are part of the Clinical Skills Department and we spent Tuesday morning taking an exam and Tuesday afternoon taking a practical. I bet they were just too busy to meet. Hang in there!

Members don't see this ad.

If the three people who interviewed you have to sit down to make decisions, then I can see why they haven't had the opportunity to meet at the same time. Most of the DOs that interviewed you are part of the Clinical Skills Department and we spent Tuesday morning taking an exam and Tuesday afternoon taking a practical. I bet they were just too busy to meet. Hang in there!

Thanks for the info, it's nice to hear it from someone who was in our shoes not to long ago. Hopefully the exam and practical went well.

I'm getting married right before school would start..I wonder if there is a way for my fiance to become a WV resident quick??! If I get accepted that is.... :)

Haha wise minds think alike:) But i don't think so b/c in order to be a resident of a state you have to have a WV address for 1 year, have a job (tax return), and have a drivers license for the state (or at least this is what i was told by the students we had lunch with) so he would fall in to the same shoe as you.
But if you have him be a resident now and do the above list, give in your deposit for the school and postpone the acceptance for one year you might beat the system lol :idea:. But maybe first we should first get our acceptance letter before trying to find loopholes :).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to inform you that I have an Interview at WVSOM on February 9th. This is my first interview, and any advice/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have not booked any hotel or any airlines. If anyone who is interviewing that day would like to possibly hang out for a couple hours prior or post interview than that would be amazing.

Once again, February 9th, 2011. Please PM if you would possibly like to meet up, or even if you would like to give me some suggestions regarding Interviews

Hey! I stayed at the Quality Inn and its not to far from the school. If you tell them that you are having an interview at WVSOM they give you a discount and they gave me a ride to the school on the shuttle. And just relax because it was a laid back interview. I am sure you have heard this but they are really friendly and genuinely interested in why you want to come to the school and interested about you as a person. And smile! that always helps. lol:D

Interviewing March 18th... that's uber-late, I actually really like this school, and WV(visited once for a week) but I'm not really sure if they'll be keen to hand out acceptances by then.

Last edited:
I'll be interviewing March 2nd, I don't think the date matters that much.

Thanks! :) Definitely trying to....hopefully we hear tomorrow!

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh! :) i will see you all in august!!!

At the airport now hoping the flight takes off! Fingers crossed. Can't wait to make it there for interview tomorrow

Last edited:
I JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!!! Woohoo I am so excited after seeing this school and the great town it was in I really wanted to go here, and now I am!!!! For any of the other that have been accepted has anyone started a facebook page? If so could you send me the link!

Would people mind sharing their STATS/background info? I am applying thus summer and am very nervous. If you want you can PM it to me too. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would people mind sharing their STATS/background info? I am applying thus summer and am very nervous. If you want you can PM it to me too. Congrats!

I got accepted a few weeks ago. 23R mcat, 3.78 gpa. Low mcat but i think i had a pretty outstanding app aside from that with extracurricular stuff and LORs. i would go to that school in a heart beat if it weren't so far from texas. i got accepted also to KCUMB so im going there. my brother and his wife are alum from WVSOM so i know the school/area pretty well. I highly recommend it.

Hey everybody, please vote for Lewisburg, WV (the home of WVSOM) for the 'America's Coolest Small Town". It ends on 2/11/11, and we don't want to get beat by Oregon. Currently in the lead, but it's pretty close, so please VOTE! You can vote every 5 hours...but you can also vote from your phone :)

http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-srv/coolestsmalltowns/CST2011.html

My parents called me this morning as I recently interviewed in Lewisburg. They told me there was a man listed in the obituary of our newspaper that had passed away and that he was a D.O. and alum of WVSOM. My thoughts go out to the family and friends of Dr. Craig Warren, DO as well as the rest of the WVSOM community that he loved so much.

I got accepted a few weeks ago. 23R mcat, 3.78 gpa. Low mcat but i think i had a pretty outstanding app aside from that with extracurricular stuff and LORs. i would go to that school in a heart beat if it weren't so far from texas. i got accepted also to KCUMB so im going there. my brother and his wife are alum from WVSOM so i know the school/area pretty well. I highly recommend it.

Thank you! With those numbers were you an easy "in" or borderline (or u may not know lol)

Would any of you like to help me decide between KCUMB and WVSOM?

I would highly appreciate it

Hey There everyone! Is anyone interviewing on Feb 18th in the am? Let me know!

accepted- does anyone know when deposits are due? the verbiage on the portal says:

"Deposit One non-refundable deposit of $2,000 plus a second non-refundable deposit of $1,000 by March 15 or two weeks after the first deposit if accepted after March 1."

does that mean the whole thing is due Mar. 15 or is the first part due before?

thanks!

I was accepted 2/8, Angie said the $2000 is due 2/25 and the additional $1000 is due 3/15. That's a lot of mulah since I'm still waiting to hear from five other schools about interviews and acceptance

Accepted!!!!!! Interviewed 2/8. Received letter in mail today. Quick turn around for sure.

U going to matriculate?

I love the school. I HATE THE SMALL TOWN

so i am now deciding between wvsom, ccom (natitve and born and rasied in chicgo..school is down the street..literally), western u, and kcumb

please help if u can..deposit due in 4 days

im also scared that i will develop the wvsom accent, but that is the least of my concerns..also interview at rocky vista university in 2 weeks..ne tips on which school i should do

Accepted!!!!!! Interviewed 2/8. Received letter in mail today. Quick turn around for sure.

U going to matriculate?

so i am now deciding between wvsom, ccom (natitve and born and rasied in chicgo..school is down the street..literally), western u, and kcumb

im also scared that i will develop the wvsom accent, but that is the least of my concerns..also interview at rocky vista university in 2 weeks..ne tips on which school i should do

Tough decision indeed. I find myself in a similar dilemma. Loved the school. Could not have loved it any more I don't think. The town was small, and very far from where I grew up. I think this would be a great place to learn, and be free from distractions of a larger city; however, I have grown accustomed to a large place and wonder if I'll have a really hard time adjusting and also being far from family.
I also got a different feel when they ask for such a large deposit very soon. I pictured a family atmosphere, but this is indeed a business as well. The price tag is pretty steep too, but they do have a lot to offer for it. It'll be a tough place to turn down if I don't end up taking the offer. That's for sure

I dont know if u are lying or if the admissions office is. they told us that only interviews happen on monday, wednesday, and friday...u s aid u interviewed 2/8..well 2/8 was a tuesday.. i dont know if ur lying or playing a game with us.neways i do wish u success in the school that u choose to attend wheter u interview januar 43 or febraury 32....

Tough decision indeed. I find myself in a similar dilemma. Loved the school. Could not have loved it any more I don't think. The town was small, and very far from where I grew up. I think this would be a great place to learn, and be free from distractions of a larger city; however, I have grown accustomed to a large place and wonder if I'll have a really hard time adjusting and also being far from family.
I also got a different feel when they ask for such a large deposit very soon. I pictured a family atmosphere, but this is indeed a business as well. The price tag is pretty steep too, but they do have a lot to offer for it. It'll be a tough place to turn down if I don't end up taking the offer. That's for sure

I want to be rest assured that ur not in the same situation. U just said everything that i wanted to.. ii had the exac same impresion, and i also grew up in a much larger city but i was never a city boy..i wouldnt mind hte small twn if it was about atleeast 9000...but the popualtio is 3000 and its a third of what i want..i grew up in a 30000 pop so i am already sacrifcing fro m30000 to 9000..

ne other tips..if u did make a list of the good and bad from this school then pm it to me..it maay help me decide
the price tag is defintielt hefty but every school is in the same range

U going to matriculate?

I am from a huge metro area as well. I was in the same boat as you--I loved WVSOM and also hated that the town was so small. But let me tell you something. YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO CARE ABOUT HOW SMALL THE TOWN IS. In fact, since the town is SO small, it is VERY hard to find distractions. That is one of the reason I didn't go to ccom even though it is closer to my home (also because CCOM isn't ranked). So it really comes down to what you want and what you find more important. If you want to be in a big city and have a variety of fun places to visit and shop, be prepared for the distractions. However, if you want to eliminate distractions, go for the small town. You may hate Lewisburg, but honestly you are going to medical school. You shouldn't be choosing your school based on how big the town is, but which area will be conducive to learning.

I know what you mean bro. I understand all of what your saying. But I am from a big city, but I am not a city boy. I live in a town of about 30000 people, even thought chicago is a town of millions.. I would not mind living in a place of 10000, but 3000 is just too small.

Regarding distractions, I wont get distracted anywhere becuzse i know myself. I am not trying to be cocky, but its jsut my personality. I dont think I will get distracted even at CCOM because its right down the street and also because I was born and rasied in chicago, but I probably only went to the city 3 times in my life. Thats hard to beleive i know, but I barely go to the city. Not a city boy..And regarding your ranking, how come wvsom is ranked and the others r not.. I dont know why the others rnt ranked, and i dont know how wvsom got ranked..but i love the school..just the town is too small for me.. i dont mind if it was 10000, or even 7000, but 3000 is just too darn small....and oh i loved angie and anette..lovely mothers...and i loved thir accent

if u did write the good and the bad for wvsom, then please pm the good and the bad for this school.. i have 4 days to decide betwen kcumb, ccom, wvsom, western u pomona..pelase help me out if u can..its a thing for four years

I am from a huge metro area as well. I was in the same boat as you--I loved WVSOM and also hated that the town was so small. But let me tell you something. YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO CARE ABOUT HOW SMALL THE TOWN IS. In fact, since the town is SO small, it is VERY hard to find distractions. That is one of the reason I didn't go to ccom even though it is closer to my home (also because CCOM isn't ranked). So it really comes down to what you want and what you find more important. If you want to be in a big city and have a variety of fun places to visit and shop, be prepared for the distractions. However, if you want to eliminate distractions, go for the small town. You may hate Lewisburg, but honestly you are going to medical school. You shouldn't be choosing your school based on how big the town is, but which area will be conducive to learning.

^ I don't know if it's the typing or your logic that is making my head bleed. What is it about the 3000 mark that makes it so much worse than 6 or 10 thousand? Do you require a large breeding pool?

I'll offer an opinion while I'm here. I'm coming from a town of half a million people and have no problems with L-burgs population.

EDIT- yeah I interviewed 2/7....day after Super Bowl. Why would I lie? haha

U going to matriculate?

LMAO I'm pretty quiet on this forum but being from WV, your killing me...

First... Your not from the "Big" city, your from a town of 30,000. I live in a town of 60,000 and still I do not consider myself from a "Big" city.

Second... Going to school in WV does not mean you will develope a southern accent. I am originally from Huntington, WV and do not have an accent what so ever, actually people think I am from Jersey more often than anything else.

Lastly... If you have CCOM right down the street use some common sense in making your decision. It does not matter where you go or the ranking of the school... It is all the same in the end.

My $0.02...

^ I don't know if it's the typing or your logic that is making my head bleed. What is it about the 3000 mark that makes it so much worse than 6 or 10 thousand? Do you require a large breeding pool?

I'll offer an opinion while I'm here. I'm coming from a town of half a million people and have no problems with L-burgs population.

+1 FTW

I know what you mean bro. I understand all of what your saying. But I am from a big city, but I am not a city boy. I live in a town of about 30000 people, even thought chicago is a town of millions.. I would not mind living in a place of 10000, but 3000 is just too small.

Regarding distractions, I wont get distracted anywhere becuzse i know myself. I am not trying to be cocky, but its jsut my personality. I dont think I will get distracted even at CCOM because its right down the street and also because I was born and rasied in chicago, but I probably only went to the city 3 times in my life. Thats hard to beleive i know, but I barely go to the city. Not a city boy..And regarding your ranking, how come wvsom is ranked and the others r not.. I dont know why the others rnt ranked, and i dont know how wvsom got ranked..but i love the school..just the town is too small for me.. i dont mind if it was 10000, or even 7000, but 3000 is just too darn small....and oh i loved angie and anette..lovely mothers...and i loved thir accent

if u did write the good and the bad for wvsom, then please pm the good and the bad for this school.. i have 4 days to decide betwen kcumb, ccom, wvsom, western u pomona..pelase help me out if u can..its a thing for four years

I am going to have to agree with the others, I am from Southern California, LA to be specific, that is a large city. But as some one else said, you are going to med school! Personally it sounds like you already made up your mind and if I can be brutally honest I don't don't know how in the hell you even got a single acceptance with your atrocious spelling! I mean your misspelled words highlight in red! So in the end, I kind of hope you don't don't choose WVSOM so I don't have to deal with your whining.

Look at a map and you will see that there are several cities all grouped together. Lewisburg, Fairlea, and Ronceverte are like one town. The medical school is in Lewisburg but the hospital is in Ronceverte. According to city data the population of Lewisburg as of July 2009 is 3497. Fairlea is 1719 and Ronceverte is 1502. There are several other towns just a couple of miles outside of these 3 towns that have a few thousand as well. I'm certainly not trying to convince you that the area is larger than what it is...just simply pointing out the area is larger than 3000. Best of luck with your decision.

Your coming cuz according to the signature this is the only place you have been accepted. I dont mean that as a bad thing, please do not take it that way and if it did come out that way please forgive me.

Regarding the 3000 mark, its just that I wishto see people around me . I dont like completley small, yet i would not mind a medium population. but neways if u have mad e a list of the pros and cons of this school, then pelase pm me and maybe if that attracts me thn we can be friends when we matricualte..as of nowm its 40 percent wvsom, 30 prcent ccom, and 30 percent kcumb

I am going to have to agree with the others, I am from Southern California, LA to be specific, that is a large city. But as some one else said, you are going to med school! Personally it sounds like you already made up your mind and if I can be brutally honest I don't don't know how in the hell you even got a single acceptance with your atrocious spelling! I mean your misspelled words highlight in red! So in the end, I kind of hope you don't don't choose WVSOM so I don't have to deal with your whining.

Okay

Look at a map and you will see that there are several cities all grouped together. Lewisburg, Fairlea, and Ronceverte are like one town. The medical school is in Lewisburg but the hospital is in Ronceverte. According to city data the population of Lewisburg as of July 2009 is 3497. Fairlea is 1719 and Ronceverte is 1502. There are several other towns just a couple of miles outside of these 3 towns that have a few thousand as well. I'm certainly not trying to convince you that the area is larger than what it is...just simply pointing out the area is larger than 3000. Best of luck with your decision.

I did not even consider that. Thank you very much

I only applied to 4 schools and two of them won't have a final decision until for weeks/months. I'm keeping track of them for fun and I've already decided where I'm attending.

I am from Southern California, LA to be specific, that is a large city.

I'm from Long Beach, what up!

I only applied to 4 schools and two of them won't have a final decision until for weeks/months. I'm keeping track of them for fun and I've already decided where I'm attending.

I'm from Long Beach, what up!

Sweet! I love LBC, expect for the bullets! lol

Funny thing is, apparently madskillz1358 got an S on his essay score, which means they can write if they want to. I'm assuming they're just too lazy to do so here, as well as scroll back a couple of pages to see the nice post someone wrote about the pros and cons of the school.

Yes thank you very much for supporting me. Yes I can write and I can prove it. First, I am an english major and am planning on matriculating to medical school. I can write. I just was using a friend's laptop that I am not used to. In addition, I dont think the spelling is as important on these forums as long as people comprehend the idea.

This is an opinion based forum and thats why I do not focus as much on spelling. However, I am sincerely sorry if I offended anyone by my spelling, and as being future physicians, I hope you can forgive me.

Regarding those who have a problem with my spelling, reread this post and tell me all my spelling mistakes as well as my run-on sentences, as well as other facts of grammar. For those of you who support me, well realize that you just showed that you are deserving in being a physician, which involves supporting people when they make mistakes. You are a ER doctor, and someone did something stupid. You wont laugh at them, rather you will be humble and help them. As physicians, we are not entitled to judge any personm rather just respect them and make them feel comfortable.

If you do not like me, well then its your choice. I wont make you like me or dislike me. I could care less. But I do want you to know that if you support me, I am very like to support you and possibly become lifelong friends, which is important because medicine involves the collaboration of a group of individuals.

I love you all who have supported me through thick and thin. For all those that have put me down, and have tried every way to prevent me from medical school acceptance, then I still love you as well.

Funny thing is, apparently madskillz1358 got an S on his essay score, which means they can write if they want to. I'm assuming they're just too lazy to do so here, as well as scroll back a couple of pages to see the nice post someone wrote about the pros and cons of the school.

Also, if you dont mind me asking, can you please tell me the exact number for the pros and cons. I checked through the previous pages and I missed it, again. I would honestly appreciate it if you could tell me the exact post of the pros and cons.

Thank you in advance, much appreciated doctor.

As a current student, here are what I find as the Pro's and Cons of WVSOM:

Pro:
Great OPP department
Excellent facilities for students
Low cost of living
Free laptop pre-loaded with all the software you need
Administrators that really listen AND care
No distractions (ex: there aren't that many places to go party so you may be forced to study)
Open doors policy (you can show up to a professors office and they will be more than happy to help you out...even if they are totally swamped)
Beautiful location
Lots of outdoor activities
Candy everywhere!
Tons of opportunities for free food
Friendly environment

Cons:
Rural area
Expensive OOS tution
No variety in places to party (unless you are okay frequenting the pub and bar)
Lack of variety of fast food
No starbucks or tacobell unless you are willing to drive 30 minutes out :(

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but if anyone has questions feel free to message me!

There's some.

Hello everyone! I've never posted on here, but I got accepted last week so I figured I would say hello.

I am very excited about WVSOM, it has everything that I could ask for in the school. I have visited 5 other medical schools, and this school has the nicest campus by far. (Most schools are a single building)

I have read that some of you are concerned about the town. I think that is sometyhing to consider, but if you've been around Lewisburg, its actually pretty nice. Also, we are only there for 2 years, the rotations are done around the state (and some out of state if you'd like).

The only complaint I have ever heard about the school is the town (and that's obv not from everyone). For that to be the only complaint, that says something. And again, its 2 very busy years.

Ok, got to go study. Oh, and since everyone is sharing, I'm a Floridian