WVSOM....Enough Said!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alosteostudent

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this speaks volumes about the school rankings!!
WVSOM ranked #8 among the nations best medical scools!
WVSOM made this year?s rankings in two additional categories ? Family Practice and Primary Care. The rankings for ?America?s Best Graduate Schools 2005? are available in the U.S. News? ?Best Graduate Schools? guidebook which goes on sale April 5, and in the latest edition of the U.S. News & World Report magazine. You can also access the rankings on-line at the U.S. News website (http://www.usnews.com.)

Members don't see this ad.

What's your point.

Is that where you are going?

In my opinion those rankings are CRAP.

Actually, I go to PCOM. I was just responding to some past posts about medical school rankings. I thought that it was funny that no one ever mentions this school in WEst Va but yet apparently it is one of the best in the country. And by the way, have received my PhD in biostatistics and epidemiology from Stanford, the rankings provided are very conclusive! Just thought you would like to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by alosteostudent
Actually, I go to PCOM. I was just responding to some past posts about medical school rankings. I thought that it was funny that no one ever mentions this school in WEst Va but yet apparently it is one of the best in the country. And by the way, have received my PhD in biostatistics and epidemiology from Stanford, the rankings provided are very conclusive! Just thought you would like to know.

Sorry, we didn't know that you are the God of biostatistics and epidemiology.

US News rankings are far from conclusive. Here is how they are determined (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/about/05med_meth_brief.php)

---------------------------------
Medicine Methodology

The 125 medical schools fully accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education plus the 19 schools of osteopathic medicine fully accredited by the American Osteopathic Association were surveyed for the ranking of research medical schools; 119 schools provided the data needed to calculate the research rankings based on the indicators used in the research model. The same medical and osteopathic schools were surveyed for the primary-care ranking; 119 schools provided the data needed to calculate the primary-care ranking. Both rankings are based on a weighted average of seven indicators, six of them common to both models. The research model factors in research activity; the primary-care model adds a measure of the proportion of graduates entering primary-care specialties.

Quality assessment(weighted by .40): Peer assessment surveys were conducted in the fall of 2003, asking medical and osteopathic school deans, deans of academic affairs, and heads of internal medicine or the directors of admissions to rate program quality on a scale of "marginal" (1) to "outstanding" (5). Survey populations were asked to rate program quality for both research and primary-care programs separately on a single survey instrument. The response rate was 56 percent. A research school's average score is weighted .20; the average score in the primary-care model is weighted .25. Residency program directors were also asked to rate programs using the same 5-point scale on two separate survey instruments. One survey dealt with research and was sent to a sample of residency program directors in fields outside primary care including surgery, psychiatry, and radiology. The other survey involved primary care and was sent to residency directors in those fields. The response rate for those sent the research survey was 28 percent. The response rate for those sent the primary-care survey was also 28 percent. Residency directors' opinions are weighted .20 in the research model and .15 in primary care.

Research activity (.30 in research model only): Activity was measured as the total dollar amount of National Institutes of Health research grants awarded to the medical school and its affiliated hospitals, averaged for 2002 and 2003. An asterisk indicates schools that reported only research grants to their medical school in 2003.

Primary-care rate (.30 in primary-care model only): The percentage of M.D. school graduates entering primary-care residencies in the fields of family practice, pediatrics, and internal medicine was averaged over 2001, 2002, and 2003.

Student selectivity (.20 in research model, .15 in primary-care model): This includes three components, which describe the class entering in fall 2003: mean composite Medical College Admission Test score (65 percent), mean undergraduate grade-point average (30 percent), and proportion of applicants accepted (5 percent).

Faculty resources (.10 in research model, .15 in primary-care model): Resources were measured as the ratio of full-time science and clinical faculty to full-time M.D. students in 2003.

Overall rank: The research-activity indicator had significant outliers; to avoid distortion, it was transformed using a logarithmic function. Indicators were standardized about their means, and standardized scores were weighted, totaled, and rescaled so that the top school received 100; other schools received their percentage of the top score.

Specialty rankings: The rankings are based solely on ratings by medical school deans and senior faculty at peer schools.They each identified up to 10 schools offering the best programs in each specialty area. Those receiving the most nominations appear here.
---------------------------------

These rankings rely heavily on subjective interpretations of medical school administrators and counts of research dollars. Conclusive? I think not.

What kind of biostatistics did you learn at Stanford, anyway?

By the way, I have a PhD in biostatistics from Hopkins. The program I attended is ranked much higher than Stanford. That makes me the God of biostatistics. Grow up.

PH

Am I missing something here? I can't find a list of the top 20 overall medical schools. I found a list for primary care and one for research. Also, the only 2 DO schools that I saw on the primary care list were TCOM and MSU. What list is WVSOM on? UCSF is ranked number 8 for primary care and Columbia is # 8 for research. I am not trying to flame anyone, but I just want to know where it mentions WVSOM.

I'm willing to bet that $$$$ has a lot to do with the rankings as people pointed out to me on another post.

The rankings of the 'top' medical schools are usually considered the research rankings. These correlate well with residency peer assessment, which is what most people care about. By this measure, the top ten schools are Harvard, WashU, Hopkins, etc.....

(Not that I'm a rankings *****, but that should answer the question about rankings)

You should all kow that the DO schools are not asked to list their research levels / funding in the US News World Report. When queried about this, they say that the "osteopathic schools do not do signigicant research". Obviosly, this is bunk!! TCOM did over 17 million in research in this last year alone.

Alosteostudent and PublicHealth,

Are you going for the D.O. along with your Ph.D.s to step away from academia and solely practice medicine or are you receiving your D.O.s to have the D.O./Ph.D. degrees to help incorporate medicine to your research in biostatistics and epidemiology?

The reason for my inquiry is because I am currently researching Alzheimer's Disease as an undergrad and love the research and wouldn't mind researching more as well as practicing medicine. Ultimately, combining the two.

Also...

Hats off to both of you for your academic success... Ph.Ds.... that's very cool. :thumbup:

Thanks,

gr8n
LECOM-Bradenton
c/o 2008