1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

WVSOM questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by hkny79, Mar 24, 2004.

1. hkny79

hkny79 Member
    7+ Year Member

ok i have a question. i have heard that WVSOM is adding an additional 21 more PBL seats for this year. is that true? also, how many total PBL seats are there now? and how many are regular systems based seats? i have been placed on hold for an interview decision, did anyone get put on hold and hear back from them. Is it getting late or are there still some seats unfilled at WVSOM? thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Aaron Earles

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    When I interviewed at WVSOM in October, I believe they said that there were 25 to 30 participants in the PBL track, but they were going to expand it. If this is not true, would someone please correct it.

Also, during our interview we were allowed to sit in on a session of PBL. It was very cool and the students worked very well together.

My application was put on hold in October after my interview. On March 1, I received an acceptance letter for this years incoming class. So I would imagine that they are still trying to fill the class. A few years ago i was put on hold until around April, at which point i was placed on the alternate list. I heard in the middle of august that I had not been accepted.

If you have any more questions, I would be happy to answer them. I had interviewed at WVSOM 3 times in the past and could give you some pointers. Anyway, good luck to you.

Aaron

4. Snack

Snack Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed in Feb and was accepted a week later. There are about 80 students in the reg. curriculum and about 21 or so in the PBL curric. For Class of 2008, they will be adding an additional 21 or so PBL slots increasing the class size to approx. 122 (80 reg. curric. and 42 in PBL). WVSOM also plans to increase their class size up to 200 per class over the next few years.

I really think that there are still seats left at this school. I know of a few people, including myself, that withdrew acceptances here recently. It's an excellent school, but tuition is outrageous. I think the tuition factor along with it being located in a rural area causes some folks to consider this school as a safety school and will only attend if not accepted anywhere else. This makes for a continuously moving waitlist I imagine. I really liked the school and truly considered it as a first choice, but I was accepted at my first choice. I would recommend this school to anyone.

5. hkny79

hkny79 Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah the out of state tuition is too much...but can you get in-state tuition after your first year or do you keep paying out of state for the 4 years. because i know some schools consider you instate after a year. is it true for WVSOM?

6. Xanderain

Xanderain Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When I was there in September, they basically said it was impossible to switch from out of state to in-state. For them, it is a moneymaking scheme, and a way to encourage in-state applicants. Me, I'll take my money elsewhere.

7. Clemson Doc

Clemson Doc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think it would be pure torture to spend four years in a small, rural, coal-mining town like Lewisburg with nothing to do but shop at Wal-Mart. Some obviously disagree, or else WVSOM wouldn't have many more applicants than acceptances each year.

What is the out-of-state tuition there? Is it more than the standard $30,00-$35,000 charged by most other D.O. schools?

8. Xanderain

Xanderain Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Its $37,500 a year for out of staters. Doesn't make the town appeal any more to me, especially when you consider better schools like Pikeville only charge $26K with all the supplies.

9. Aaron Earles

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not to sound like a smart alec, but Lewisburg is not a coal mining town. It is however a small, rural town. Lots of cool stuff goes on there throughout the year, like the WV State Fair, excellent skiing, and lots of golf. I guess if you like these things, there is quite a bit to do. WVSOM is a good school, but it is way to expensive for out of staters.

10. Snack

Snack Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

When I interviewed in Feb, the financial aid lady informed us the tuition was going up again at 7-8%!!! Yikes!!! That puts it at over $40K. This would be one of the few schools that would put you $250K + in debt after 4 years. I also asked about the potential of paying in state tuition and I was informed that you could apply, but most likely it would be denied.....imagine that! I still say it's a great school in a beautiful location though.

11. BACMEDIC

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    WVSOM is a great school in a great location with great programs and great instructors. It is ranked 10th in US News and World report for rural primary care. It was my first choice, but had to turn them down due to the cost ; +$40K per year on just tuition! If you can afford it, then WVSOM would be a great choice.