WVSOM vs LECOM-B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpanda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted at WVSOM and LECOM-Bradenton. I am also waiting to hear back from one MD interview but these deposits are due in a month and I hope to have my decision made soon. I am hoping to get some input on the availability of clinical research opportunities and the stability/quality of rotation sites for each school.

I am leaning towards WVSOM because I loved the school on my interview day and they seemed more open to the idea of students doing research. I don't know much about their rotations.
LECOM-b has cheaper tuition and is in a less rural area. However, one faculty member seemed to hint that research opportunities were almost non-existent and I am nervous about the way they assign clinical rotation sites.

I would be grateful for any input from current students on this. Sorry if this thread is repetitive I could only find a similar one from 2007 and wanted some updated information.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow that's like apples and oranges.

Do you want to go to the systems based, rural, underserved, mountainous, research, half your clinical rotations are primary care, small town medical school or the PBL, specialty-gunning, shaky clinicals, dress code, high step 1, humid as $%#& beach school?

Seems like you either like one or the other.

Reactions: 3 users
Go to LECOM-B and save money. Spend your winter studying at the beach instead of some crappy WV town.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that's like apples and oranges.

Do you want to go to the systems based, rural, underserved, mountainous, research, half your clinical rotations are primary care, small town medical school or the PBL, specialty-gunning, shaky clinicals, dress code, high step 1, humid as $%#& beach school?

Seems like you either like one or the other.

Sorry for my ignorance but, what does "specialty-gunning" mean and how is LECOM-B "specialty gunning" when they have "shaky clinicals?"

They have high board scores and are known for having a high number of students gunning for competative specialties because of those board scores. WVSOM is very primary care oriented. And from people I have met from LECOM-B they say that the clinical sites are bad if you just go with the flow, if you are pro active you can find your own sites that suit your interests and help you match at pretty good programs. The downside is that it takes being exceptionally pro active because the school itself doesn't really help you.

They have high step 1 board scores, but it looks like their other board scores aren't that stellar...

They have high step 1 board scores, but it looks like their other board scores aren't that stellar...
Yeah PBL doesn't bode well for clinical education.

I am a current 3rd year at LECOM-B on rotations. My experience is people confuse shaky clinicals with a lot of freedom. There are year long sites available if you want to go to a particular location for an entire year. Sites are available in Florida (Orlando, Miami, St. Pete, Brandon, Pensacola), New York, Erie Pennsylvania. There is also a list of spots available for students if they would like to rotate month to month around the country. That list includes physicians from almost every state. If you want to set up your own, you are free to do that but you need to keep in contact with the school about what you are doing.

In terms of PBL being good or not for clinical education, my experience has been that it more than prepared me. I say this because from day 1 of PBL in first year you are analyzing labs/tests/patient presentations. This is a major advantage over other programs. I'm not exaggerating, you will meet people from schools around the country, both MD and DO who cannot accurately interpret basic lab panels in conjunction with patient histories. PBL prepares you to be a part of the conversation. Second, the PBL curriculum will teach you to read a lot and self-teach, which if really where you get the bulk of your learning 3rd year outside of clinic. Our other step scores struggle because select students get over confident and fail to prepare.

and yes, most students are specialty gunning at LECOM-B. I'm not sure if its the mentality of the campus, or just the students they recruit, but most students have little interest in primary care.

In terms of PBL being good or not for clinical education, my experience has been that it more than prepared me. I say this because from day 1 of PBL in first year you are analyzing labs/tests/patient presentations. This is a major advantage over other programs.

I'm at a different LECOM campus and only a second year, but I'd agree with this.

I assume LECOM-B has a similar H&P class to the one up north, which I feel is giving me great preparation for step 2 and for 3rd year.

Students at LECOM-B can afford to gun for good specialties...because they are often competitive for those specialties due to good board scores.

If you are the type of person who needs to be spoon fed...I would HIGHLY suggest that you avoid LECOM-B. If you are a self-motivated type...you have endless opportunities at LECOM-B. And yes...the tuition is very cheap relatively speaking...it doesn't matter now to you...but trust me...it will.

Glad to hear some LECOM students feel like PBL prepared them for clinicals. I was hearing a lot of the contrary for the most part until now.

Honestly I'm a fan of any school that gives you as many opportunities as LECOM for that low of a tuition.

I have been accepted at WVSOM and LECOM-Bradenton. I am also waiting to hear back from one MD interview but these deposits are due in a month and I hope to have my decision made soon. I am hoping to get some input on the availability of clinical research opportunities and the stability/quality of rotation sites for each school.

I am leaning towards WVSOM because I loved the school on my interview day and they seemed more open to the idea of students doing research. I don't know much about their rotations.
LECOM-b has cheaper tuition and is in a less rural area. However, one faculty member seemed to hint that research opportunities were almost non-existent and I am nervous about the way they assign clinical rotation sites.

I would be grateful for any input from current students on this. Sorry if this thread is repetitive I could only find a similar one from 2007 and wanted some updated information.

My advice is to not take any input from someone who hasn't been a student at LECOM or WVSOM, which is probably most of the people commenting on this thread. Seek out people that have been to each school. I'm a second year at WVSOM, and I absolutely love it here, and Lewisburg is a quaint little town. People who haven't been here are quick to judge WV residents(honestly, I did before I interviewed). I'm really glad I chose to come here. PM me and I'm happy to honestly answer any questions you have.