xm format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ici_cute

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read some of the topics posted and I'm wondering how the xm format is like in different countries. I'm from Malaysia and the xm format include MCQs and essay as well as OSPE. The mcq is right and wrong question and if it's wrong, the marks will be deducted. Is it like that in other places. I bought the USMLE 1 book when i was in first year...blue and red cover...n i wonder if it looks like xm in other countries esp in US. Do marks get deducted? is the mcq format in choosing one answer from abcde or is it true or false question?

Do you guys have OSPE? OSPE is more like a lab test, where they give specimens (in year one) and some cases (mostly in 2nd year) which can be tricky especially when it comes to histology.

What's the use of taking USMLE 1 and 2? is it compulsory? Is it true that you can take it anytime during your studying years? In Malaysia, there's a major xm comprising the preclinical years and another one for the clinical years, plus of course xm for every semester and after every postings.

I don't think there are a lot of Malaysians medical students in US, more in Australia, UK and India and Indonesia. Anybody like to provide some info?

** People are usually afraid of what they don't know. That's why I think we should travel n see the world, learn, understand, and accept :wink: **

Members don't see this ad.

Exam format varies widely from school to school, although I suspect most schools use a combination of MCQs and clinical exams (or OSCEs). There is no such thing as a system wide exam format which all US schools use.

The USMLE exams are, on the other hand, required by all medical schools because they represent the first steps in obtaining an unrestricted medical license to practice in the US. Most US medical schools require that you take USMLE Step 1 before the beginning of 3rd year and most require that you take Step 2 to graduate (although there is some variation in the timing for Step 2). IMGs, or physicians trained outside of the US, are not required to take the USMLEs at any specific time, just as long as they take them before they apply for ECFMG certification. Thus, they can take them at any time they like, unless again, their school has a requirement.

Some US medical schools give exams at then end of each semester, with others thrown in throughout the semester, some after each block (ie, usually organ system based curriculums), etc. There is again, no set format - each school follows its own schedule.

Hope this helps.