XULA Theology Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cttuan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to look for the Theology course description on Xula website but can't find it.

Here are the courses that offer at my college. can someone tells me which of these course I can take to satify the requirement for XULA Theology course
========================================================
PHILOSOPHY 1100 (IAI H4 900)
Introduction to Philosophy
3 credit hours
Introduces the student, through the study of knowledge, reality and human conduct, to the discipline that inquires into human nature and the world. Designed to increase the student’s self-awareness and ability to think. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 1110 (IAI H4 904)
Ethics
3 credit hours
Study of the elements of ethics, including principle ethical theories, principles, concepts and meanings, and their practical application to moral problems, dilemmas and decisions. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 1112
Biomedical Ethics
3 credit hours
Study of the theories and principles of ethics as applied to the major areas of biomedical ethical concern: moral problems in the professional/patient relationship, in life and death, in allocation of scarce medical resources, and in medical and health care on a social scale. Current issues such as abortion, euthanasia and genetic research are considered. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 1114
Business Ethics
3 credit hours
A study of moral issues in business and the broader issues of economic justice through a study of ethical theories and their application to actual case studies. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 1116 (IAI H4 904)
Environmental Ethics
3 credit hours
Study of the theories and principles of ethics as applied to major areas of environmental and ecological concern: pollution, land use, animal rights, population, consumption and waste disposal. Experience in non-remedial, college-level mathematics is strongly recommended. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 1117 (IAI H4 901)
Ancient Philosophy
3 credit hours
Surveys philosophy as it developed from the classical period in Greece to the early advocates of scientific method, examining major philosophical figures in their historical contexts with an attention to how philosophy developed in response to historical, social and political events. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 1118 (IAI H4 902)
Modern Philosophy
3 credit hours
Surveys philosophy as it developed from the modern period to the current era, examining major philosophical figures in their historical contexts with an attention to how philosophy developed in response to historical, social and political events. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 1120 (IAI H4 906)
Logic
3 credit hours
Introduces the student to the art and science of reasoning. Skills developed include analyzing formal and informal reasoning; identifying errors in reasoning and learning to avoid them; distinguishing different species of reasoning, including deductive and inductive styles of argumentation; and analyzing language for both logical and rhetorical force. Experience in non-remedial, college-level mathematics is strongly recommended. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 1125 (IAI H4 906)
Critical Thinking
3 credit hours
An investigation into and application of the principles of effective thinking in order to develop and enhance one’s ability to consciously direct focused mental activity to solve problems, achieve desired goals, evaluate beliefs and guide actions. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 1130
Social and Political Philosophy
3 credit hours
Philosophical inquiry into the basis of social and political authority and practices, as well as the proper relationships between individual and society and government. The nature of society, the state, rights, law and justice are considered with reference to contemporary social and political issues. Philosophy 1100 is strongly recommended. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 1145 (IAI H4 905)
Philosophy of Religion
3 credit hours
Introduces the student to the philosophical analysis and examination of basic religious concepts and beliefs, such as the nature of Ultimate Reality (e.g., God, Tao) and arguments for the existence of the Ultimate Reality. Other topics include religious experience, reason and faith, religion and morality, immortality and others. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 1150 (IAI H5 904N)
World Religions
3 credit hours
An introductory investigation of the main ideas from the world’s major living religions, including Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Shintoism and primal religions. Credit cannot be given for both Philosophy 1150 and Religious Studies 1150. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 1160
History and Philosophy of Education
3 credit hours
Development of Western educational philosophy in historical context. Significant philosophical theories and their influence on modern education. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 1800
Experiential Special Topics
1 to 3 credit hours
Experiential courses cover topics not otherwise covered by general education courses and other courses in the Catalog for the discipline. These courses require direct experience and focused reflection in an in-depth study of a specific discipline topic and/or the critical analysis of contemporary issues in the discipline. They are targeted to self-selected students with an interest in the subject matter and involve active participation. The course delivery incorporates an experiential component of no less than 30 percent but not to exceed 70 percent (to be determined by the disciplines). This experiential component may include field studies, interdisciplinary learning, and/or practical application of discipline-related concepts, theories, principles and methods with a specific focus. All courses require an orientation session to deliver academic and experiential information (syllabus, academic requirements, field preparation, logistics, etc.) Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One.

PHILOSOPHY 1840
Independent Study – Individualized
1 to 4 credit hours
Exploration and analysis of topics within the discipline to meet individual student-defined course description, goals, objectives, topical outline and methods of evaluation in coordination with and approved by the instructor. May be taken three times for credit as long as different topics are selected. Prerequisite: Consent of instructor. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (1 to 4 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 2200
Introduction to Philosophy of Science
3 credit hours
The foundations of scientific theory and methodology approached by means of philosophical analysis of the fundamental concepts in science, such as cause, prediction, function, motion, event, inductive generalization, statistical probability, and the space/time continuum. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 2250
Introduction to Philosophy of Art
3 credit hours
Philosophical theories of the creative process in art. Emphasis on form, significance, emotion, reality, association and chance in the realm of aesthetic judgment and criticism. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

PHILOSOPHY 2800
Advanced Experiential Special Topics
1 to 3 credit hours
Advanced experiential courses cover topics not otherwise covered by general education courses and other courses in the Catalog for the discipline, while building upon academic knowledge and skills acquired in introductory-level classes. These courses require direct experience and focused reflection in an in-depth study of a specific discipline topic and/or the critical analysis of contemporary issues in the discipline. They are targeted to self-selected students with an interest in the subject matter and involve active participation. The course delivery incorporates an experiential component of no less than 30 percent but not to exceed 70 percent (to be determined by the disciplines). This experiential component may include field studies, interdisciplinary learning, and/or the practical application of more complex discipline-related concepts, theories, principles and methods with a specific focus. All courses require an orientation session to deliver academic and experiential information (syllabus, academic requirements, field preparation, logistics, etc.) Prerequisite: At least one course in the discipline or consent of the instructor. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One.
=======================================================

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

None of those classes satisfy the requirement. The class has to be given by a Religion department, so the prefix for the class has to start with something like RELIGION or THEOLOGY. Are you in Louisiana, if so you can take the class at Xavier, Loyola, and LSU in Baton Rouge. Those are the only colleges that I know of that have religion departments. Most catholic universities have a religion department too. I took Intro to Biblical Studies at Xavier to satisfy the prerequisite.

To see the course description look in the University Catalog. Here is a link http://www.xula.edu/catalog/cat.php. Go to page 309.

HTH

Last edited:
I am not from louisiana.

i did talk to my school and we do have a religion department. however, in the online catalog I don't see a theology section.

here are the courses in the religious studies:
=======================================================
RELIGIOUS STUDIES 1100 (IAI H5 900)
Introduction to Religion

3 credit hours
This course provides a study of religion by examining representative cultural religious phenomena in a global world. In analyzing commonalities and differences among religious traditions and contexts, students develop an understanding of personal, communal and universal dimensions of religion as characterized through various religious phenomena including philosophical formulations, sacred writings, religious experiences, ethics, rituals and art. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

RELIGIOUS STUDIES 1110 (IAI H5 901)
Introduction to the Bible (Old Testament)

3 credit hours
This course offers an overview of the Hebrew Bible (in the Christian tradition known as the Old Testament) and selected writings from the Apocrypha as well as the Dead Sea Scrolls, introducing students to various academic methods of critical and creative ways of studying, analyzing and interpreting these ancient texts. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

RELIGIOUS STUDIES 1120 (IAI H5 901)
Introduction to the Bible (New Testament)

3 credit hours
This course offers an overview of the Christian Bible (in the Christian tradition known as the New Testament) and selected Early Christian Writings, introducing students to various academic methods of critical study, analysis and interpretation of these ancient texts. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

RELIGIOUS STUDIES 1150 (IAI H5 904N)
World Religions

3 credit hours
An introductory investigation of the main ideas from the world’s major living religions: including Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Shintoism and primal religions. Credit can’t be given for both Religious Studies 1150 and Philosophy 1150. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

RELIGIOUS STUDIES 1155 (IAI H4 903N)
Asian Thought

3 credit hours
Introductory overview of selected philosophical and religious systems of Asia. Emphasizes the conceptual and intellectual foundations of a variety of Asian traditions, and includes consideration of the historical and cultural contexts that shape them. Philosophy 1100 and/or Religious Studies 1100 is strongly recommended. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

RELIGIOUS STUDIES 1824
Selected Topics in Religion

2 credit hours
Introductory exploration and analysis of selected topics with a specific theme indicated by course title listed in college Class Schedule. May be taken three times for credit as long as different topics are selected. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (2 lecture hours)

RELIGIOUS STUDIES 1840
Independent Study – Individualized

1 to 4 credit hours
Exploration and analysis of topics within the discipline to meet individual student-defined course description, goals, objectives, topical outline and methods of evaluation in coordination with and approved by the instructor. May be taken three times for credit as long as different topics are selected. Prerequisite: Consent of instructor. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (1 to 4 lecture hours)

RELIGIOUS STUDIES 2160 (IAI H5 901)
Judaism, Christianity and Islam

3 credit hours
This course presents an overview of the historical development of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, as well as roles of scripture, ritual, theology, and ethics. These religions’ social relevance and their current inter-relations are also considered. Religious Studies 1100 or comparable course is recommended. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

==================================

Members don't see this ad :)
Religion and Theology are the same thing! Just contact [email protected] and she will clarify which of those religious classes meets the requirements. I think the intro to religion class would be an easy A.

HTH

wow

Last edited:
TooToo30,

thank you so much for your posts. just emailed ms. Hudson and see what she has to say. look at the xula course description, I am not sure the "introduction to religion" will meet that requirement. I wish it does simply because it's a lower level course :laugh: more chance for an A.

I think 1 or these 2 courses will do. what do you think?

RELIGIOUS STUDIES 1110 (IAI H5 901)
Introduction to the Bible (Old Testament)

3 credit hours
This course offers an overview of the Hebrew Bible (in the Christian tradition known as the Old Testament) and selected writings from the Apocrypha as well as the Dead Sea Scrolls, introducing students to various academic methods of critical and creative ways of studying, analyzing and interpreting these ancient texts. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

RELIGIOUS STUDIES 1120 (IAI H5 901)
Introduction to the Bible (New Testament)

3 credit hours
This course offers an overview of the Christian Bible (in the Christian tradition known as the New Testament) and selected Early Christian Writings, introducing students to various academic methods of critical study, analysis and interpretation of these ancient texts. Course requires Reading Placement Test Score-Category One. (3 lecture hours)

It will, I took an introductory class also and it satisfied the prerequisite. The first one actually is everything that we covered in the class I took.

thank you so much for your posts. just emailed ms. Hudson and see what she has to say. look at the xula course description, I am not sure the "introduction to religion" will meet that requirement. I wish it does simply because it's a lower level course :laugh: more chance for an A.

==================================

LOL good luck cttuan!!! that's all I have to say. If you can get a reply back from these people, please let me know what's the heading you used in the email. For the past few years, I have received ONE reply from an email I sent out. SAD, I know.

But I don't think they're that strick about Religion class. I think they said something about any Religion courses in the department equal to or greater than 1000 level course. The courses you listed should qualify. I would worry more about Medical Ethics, they pretty strick on that course for some reasons.

Last edited:
Religious Studies and the Quest for Meaning
A comparative study of the variety of ways persons have
experienced and interpreted religion. Topics may include:
religious experience, God, faith, salvation and liberation,
religious mythology and art, ritual, ethics, and the effect
of religion on diverse societies in the modern world.

Introduction to Western Religions
This course examines the role that Judaism, Christianity,
and Islam have played in shaping the values and
worldviews of Western civilization. The interaction
between religion and various aspects of culture such as
art, literature, politics, and society may be included.

Introduction to Asian Religions
A comparative study of the origins and development of
selected religious traditions such as Hinduism,
Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism, Daoism, Confucianism,
and Shinto with a focus on worldview and values. The
interaction between religion and various aspects of
culture such as art, literature, politics, and society may
be included.

*May I receive anyone's help on whether or not Xavier will accept any of these courses as fulfillment of Xavier's religion prerequisite?

Last edited:
Religious Studies and the Quest for Meaning
A comparative study of the variety of ways persons have
experienced and interpreted religion. Topics may include:
religious experience, God, faith, salvation and liberation,
religious mythology and art, ritual, ethics, and the effect
of religion on diverse societies in the modern world.

Introduction to Western Religions
This course examines the role that Judaism, Christianity,
and Islam have played in shaping the values and
worldviews of Western civilization. The interaction
between religion and various aspects of culture such as
art, literature, politics, and society may be included.

Introduction to Asian Religions
A comparative study of the origins and development of
selected religious traditions such as Hinduism,
Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism, Daoism, Confucianism,
and Shinto with a focus on worldview and values. The
interaction between religion and various aspects of
culture such as art, literature, politics, and society may
be included.

*May I receive anyone's help on whether or not Xavier will accept any of these courses as fulfillment of Xavier's religion prerequisite?

I find it amazing that NO ONE has taken your username. And you just joined seriously

How do you know it's mine? And are you saying I SHOULDN'T get my own icon? :confused:

I had a Thanksgiving avatar that needed updating. :shrug:

:laugh:
no, no, I think it's pretty cool! you deserve one. I am just tired of xmas music already. bleh, where we live, they blast xmas music over the radio 24/7 until at least feb. call me a scrooge.