Y!IFMBA: Random thoughts of the pediatric minded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't you have to decide WHAT you are going to do before you decide WHERE you plan to do it??;)

Nah...neither one is THAT competitive :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I was out of town and nobody posted about David Cook!!! :eek:

Com'on people, what are you doing with your free time??? Rotations? Graduating? Sheesh! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I love Top Chef. Team Stephanie FTW!!!!

Yay! Another Top Chef person. Stephanie rocks my world--she's single handedly proving that it's possible to be a really nice person AND a good cook all at the same time. :thumbup: Antonia and Richard are obviously good too, but I don't understand how Lisa's still around--it seems like she's always complaining about how it's everyone else's fault (sabotage and whatnot).

Yay! Another Top Chef person. Stephanie rocks my world--she's single handedly proving that it's possible to be a really nice person AND a good cook all at the same time. :thumbup: Antonia and Richard are obviously good too, but I don't understand how Lisa's still around--it seems like she's always complaining about how it's everyone else's fault (sabotage and whatnot).

My kids are supporting Richard and Antonia. I can't really figure out how VIEWERS of a tv show can identify who is the best cook, but what the heck...

oh yes, and the Lakers in 5.

well, i personally am a fan of "so you think you can dance?" though i know it's not nearly as popular. how great was robert moraine? if you have a few free minutes, go to youtube and type in his name... his dancing is AWESOME.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=litHPx4ge78

ok, back to unpacking....

Seriously. Lisa? Over Dale? Dale got on my nerves but I'd rather eat his food over Lisa's. Richard is my second choice, but I so want Stephanie to win.

well, i personally am a fan of "so you think you can dance?"

Amen to that!! So not into Top Chef....SYTYCD is awesome!! I made my peace with David Cook winning Idol, and now I've jumped on the dance bandwagon :D

so, coming back to check on the SYTYCD post, (woohoo Jendizzle!), and i look at the link, and that's not the link i remember being the popper (it had 0 and a 7 and some other stuff...) hm, what link did i post? my favorite commercial of all times (which explains so well why i love:rolleyes: politics). so, if anyone clicked on the link... sorry for the confusion, i hope you appreciated the commercial, 'cause i think it's hilarious.

Hahahaha! I love the subtext about "children support use of ambulance rides on condition that they get to control sirens" :D

Members don't see this ad :)
ps- internship is really cutting into my random thoughts time! ;)
Apparently not too much, seeing as you were posting while sitting around waiting for my team to finish rounding!:p
In all seriousness, though, I think that the incredibly high patient load that both you and I are carrying would really prevent us from having any time to post at all. Oh wait, I'm on call tomorrow. I guess I'll have more than one person to round on after that.

Clinda = tar

What are you all doing for fun with your residency peeps? We started a beer club between the guys in our program :)

Apparently not too much, seeing as you were posting while sitting around waiting for my team to finish rounding!:p
In all seriousness, though, I think that the incredibly high patient load that both you and I are carrying would really prevent us from having any time to post at all. Oh wait, I'm on call tomorrow. I guess I'll have more than one person to round on after that.
Yeah well, you guys were monopolizing all the chairs in the work room and I was writing my notes in the call room. ;)

Both of them?

j/k

Hey! At least a third of our program is guys, so not TOO bad. :D

I am excited for the weekend where I get a saturday off at least!

Oh, and by the way, my random thought for today is that there are far too many Texas Children's people on the message board :laugh:

Duly noted. :p I'll tell the others they're not allowed to post anymore. :laugh:

Fine. And I'll make sure that plenty of people are discharged on your day on-call, so that there will be plenty of open beds for admits. :p

the fact that i am posting right now also should make you glad you are not on their floor, and instead on ours:laugh: (ohhh, hope that doesn't come back to haunt me)

nap time, just in cases.

sorry crazypeds,

we can talk about fun tv shows i'm not watching instead. or baseball, aren't you a cubbies fan?

okay, lets talk sports here...

Who has a good take on the Brett Favre story? My tendency is to think that Favre is whacko and the Packers are looking like jerks in all this, but I'm willing to hear another side....

And, the Cubs better hope the National League can finally win an All-Star game! They want the Series to open in Chicago.....

oh, Brett Favre... I think there should be a syndrome created for famous incredible athletes who don't know when to quit. Isn't his course fairly predictable, a little reminiscent of Michael Jordan? I can't even imagine the cheesehead outrage if he went to play somewhere else. It'd be like your sister marrying your ex-husband or something. geez, when Michael went to baseball, we all rolled our eyes- but when he went to play for whatever team that wasn't the Bulls (retirement return no. 2 if memory serves me correctly.), I think all Chicagoans lost a little Michael love. You won your championship, you're old, go enjoy your wife and kids (and money).

Series, do you mean the World series?? :laugh:

I think all Chicagoans lost a little Michael love. You won your championship, you're old, go enjoy your wife and kids (and money).

Series, do you mean the World series?? :laugh:

I'm afraid Michael didn't see it the same way about enjoying his wife in retirement.:rolleyes:

Of course I mean the World Series - don't you have faith that it will start at Wrigley?

Ahhh the on call post

So, as I noted before, I refuse to get excited about the Cubs until at least September. Last year i got excited and they forgot to show up for the dbacks series. Last i got REALLY excited about the Cubs was 2003 when i still lived there, and, well, ask any Cubs fan if these names/occasions sounds familiar: Steve Bartman, Mark Prior, Alex Gonzalez and 8 runs in the 8th inning. So, yeah..ask me in september, THEN ill be excited :)

Regarding favre, i think he's a complete attention *****. "Im retired" "No im not" "Im retired". All the athletes who do this just cant stand to not be talked about in the media day after day. Let it go!! Of course, if he wants to return and throw more interceptions to Brian Urlacher and the Bears, thats fine. He hasn't owned the Bears since the late 90's, and I would be more than happy to make him wish that he had retired!

Of course, the bears will only be scoring 3-6 pts/game on offense this year, with rex grossman, matt forte, brandon lloyd and the other adrian peterson anchoring that grotesque offense.

That's all, call time!!

Steve Bartman,

Is this from Wiki true??:laugh:

"In the intervening years since the incident, the Bartman seat (Aisle 4, Row 8, Seat 113) has become a tourist attraction at Wrigley Field. Fans often take pictures of each other sitting in it, and it is frequently covered with Cubs stickers."

Of course I mean the World Series - don't you have faith that it will start at Wrigley?

every year, there's a little girl hope that the Cubbies will keep it up and get to the finals... but the cynical adult in me just laughs and says "maybe next year" and the curse of the billy goat will always remain. Now, as for Bartman, I don't know about his seat, etc, but I do know most Chicagoans instinctively say his name with an underlying tone of distaste, and for a while at least, people would say "way to go: bartman" if you like spilled your fresh mug of beer or did something else that tugs at the heart strings of a Chicago Cubs fan.

I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say this call has been rife with bad news and drama and I cannot wait for the sun to come up! (luckily the bad news wasn't for most of the patients and the drama could be attributed to things like mock codes in the middle of rounds...)

Only 6 more hours to daylight! :p

Good afternoon, everyone!... Am I even allowed in this forum? Haha...

Since the thread is based on random thoughts, I just have to thank you, oldbear, for your thoughts in other threads over the past X days or months. I'm new to SDN and throwing thoughts around in my head, and you've provided some great insight into pediatrics that have been helpful for me in catching the thoughts I throw around up there!

Drama? In residency? Come on...you cant be serious. Mock codes are especially fun. We had one the other day that involved a dummy who was post renal transplant who became "unresponsive" It was entertaining as the intern to watch as the seniors ran it, and didn't even do a bad job! :)

Only two weeks left until the NICU starts...oldbear i'm counting on you to keep me from hurling myself out of the window while i attempt to not hurt the 24 weekers!

Good afternoon, everyone!... Am I even allowed in this forum? Haha...

Since the thread is based on random thoughts, I just have to thank you, oldbear, for your thoughts in other threads over the past X days or months.

Only two weeks left until the NICU starts...oldbear i'm counting on you to keep me from hurling myself out of the window while i attempt to not hurt the 24 weekers!

ah shucks....thanks guys. Everyone is allowed in here. It's a quiet time in the sports world while we wait for college football season to begin (that's in late November when tOSU plays Michigan) and for the World Series.

NICU is not so bad really ;)....and you are working in an outstanding one!

Drama? In residency? Come on...you cant be serious. Mock codes are especially fun. We had one the other day that involved a dummy who was post renal transplant who became "unresponsive" It was entertaining as the intern to watch as the seniors ran it, and didn't even do a bad job! :)

I think it was a very entertaining mock code... if you were one of the nurses guffawing at the interns scrambling around and then making like deer in the headlights. ;) (I can poke fun 'cus I was supposedly the leader of this circus)

*jealous*

Mmmm, mock codes. Good times.

I have a hunch that ours will be next week...our chief let it slip that it isn't gonna be this week, sooo.....I'm thinking next week. Hope it's not on my call day!! I think I'd rather handle airway or do compressions than be "team leader." But just in case, I've got my PALS cheat card in my white coat pocket. :)

I'm officially very sleepy...and it's only 7:30. Is it wrong to go to bed at 7:30? These post-post-call days kick my butt.

ah shucks....thanks guys. Everyone is allowed in here. It's a quiet time in the sports world while we wait for college football season to begin (that's in late November when tOSU plays Michigan) and for the World Series.

NICU is not so bad really ;)....and you are working in an outstanding one!

Well thanks! I'd like to ask you residents/attendings/et. al. a question about pediatrics... Does anyone know what the average hours for general and specialized pediatricians are, and the distribution for responsibilities for private/hospital? Thanks in advance!

Lots of random thoughts in this thread. Makes me fee like i might have adhd.
Surely you all have something random to say!?! :laugh:

I always thought that the design of the Carnot engine was very intriguing.

In theory it could be used as an engine or as a refrigerator.

Lots of random thoughts in this thread. Makes me fee like i might have adhd.

I always thought that the design of the Carnot engine was very intriguing.

In theory it could be used as an engine or as a refrigerator.

Isn't that the GENERAL idea behind geothermal power production; that its compression/decompression is dependent on the summer and winter seasons and the relative temperatures? Haha... Or something like that...

So how's the NICU going?

Only 4 more weeks until my Buckeyes take the field in search of another national championship game loss. :confused:. Ah, I'll be happy if we beat you-know-who (TSUN) again.:smuggrin:

Hey, ya' gotta laugh at yourself a bit...at least I'm not a Cubs fan (is this the year we all ask??)

So how's the NICU going?

Only 4 more weeks until my Buckeyes take the field in search of another national championship game loss. :confused:. Ah, I'll be happy if we beat you-know-who (TSUN) again.:smuggrin:

Hey, ya' gotta laugh at yourself a bit...at least I'm not a Cubs fan (is this the year we all ask??)

The NICU is OK, one week down. The learning curve is really steep and i feel very un-helpful most days because i just don't feel like i know what the next step is. Maybe over the next couple of weeks that will improve. For now, i feel a little like im spinning my wheels.

STILL not talking about the Cubs until september...not talking, not getting my hopes up.

Regarding OSU - at least the first REAL game is against USC, and I hate any Pac-10 team NOT named Arizona!! But why do they schedule non-conference opponents like Youngstown St, Ohio, and Troy? That's part of the reason why national respect for them is maybe not as strong.

Last edited:
Regarding OSU - at least the first REAL game is against USC, and I hate any Pac-10 team NOT named Arizona!! But why do they schedule non-conference opponents like Youngstown St, Ohio, and Troy? That's part of the reason why national respect for them is maybe not as strong.

The idea is to play one tough non-conf team each year and then fill Ohio Stadium with Ohio based teams (to support Ohio football) - Youngstown St. having the obvious Tressel connection. The current system supports all schools doing something like this with their non-conf schedule - one loss and you can be out. The solution is a playoff. Renewed respect for tOSU will come when we beat a SEC team in a bowl game. Somehow, being in 3 national title games (and winning one) isn't enough. But, that's the nature of football fans. Of course, my favorite team was the 68 team with Rex Kern at the helm that beat USC (and OJ) in the Rose Bowl!

In 2018 we go to Knoxville! Can't wait.....

Hate to break it to you, but USC is going all the way this year. :D

By the way, I just have to whine for a second about how ridiculous college football has gotten. My wife and I were going to go to the USC/Virginia game this month (at Virginia) since it was our first opportunity to see 'SC since we moved out here, but there were NO single game tickets. Apparently, a bunch of USC fans bought SEASON tickets to Virginia just to get the one ticket for this game (at least judging by the Craig's List posts). Completely out of control, I say.

So we're going to Assateague Island for the weekend instead. :thumbup: