Yale vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s3rr8s

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all -

I've been rather fortunate this cycle and am down to deciding between NYU and Yale. Honestly, I am leaning rather strongly towards NYU, based off of its great location, Bellevue as a training site, and the good home residency programs, amongst other factors. I also have a strong interest in surgical specialities, and have always wanted to do medical school in a big city after doing undergrad in a slightly less urban environment.

While Yale is obviously a phenomenal program, and I ultimately do see myself in some sort of academic medicine, I feel that their program may be slightly too research oriented and may lack a certain degree of structure that I feel I may desire. The location is also far poorer (meant qualitatively not economically), and on interview day, I didn't feel that the school was as much of a "fit".

I, unfortunately, was unable to attend either second look due to work and family obligations, and while everyday I feel more and more that NYU is the right choice for me, I thought I'd seek out the opinions of those on this forum in case I am missing some perspective.

Ultimately, I see myself in a surgical specialty, and while my application was very research heavy and I do see myself in academic medicine one day, I primarily am drawn to being a clinician first, researcher second. While Yale is obviously the superior choice for research and getting into academic medicine, NYU does seem to have the edge for my specific orientation and preferences.

Am I making any sense at all? Is this justification reasonable? I am afraid that as a state school grad, I am getting hung up on *that ivy name* (Yale) and that is what is giving me pause to committing to NYU.

Thanks for all your input!

Members don't see this ad.

NYU will give you phenomenal exposure to surgical specialties. And as you pointed out, it's in a great area- actually one of my favorite neighborhoods in Manhattan.

In addition, considering your interest in surgery, I don't see how Yale is the superior choice for research and academic medicine. Don't get caught up in the Ivy hype. Go with the better fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems like you have already decided - go for NYU. It is a phenomenal program that will get you just as far as Yale would.

Reactions: 2 users
On the flip side, Yale is relatively unique in that it uses surgery as a basis for its anatomy program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you are set on NYU. Its a great program and you'll do well there if you feel you "fit" better there. Just don't be the guy/girl who is like "oh i got into Yale but decided not to go" lol.

Congrats on some great options!

Reactions: 6 users
There are definitely students who go to Yale and live in NYC for months to years at a time. Yale system.

Reactions: 1 user
If you would not handle the Yale system well, don't go to Yale. Productive and happy at NYU >> disorganized sad mess at Yale regardless of career aims.

Besides, Ivy League doesn't mean the same in medicine for like half the schools (there is no Princeton and Dartmouth/Brown are not elite)

I couldn't tell you much about either school, but based on your post it sounds like NYU is where you want to be. I understand getting hung up on prestige. When applying to PhD programs, I chose school A over school B because of prestige. I ended up strongly disliking school A. It sounded great to tell people I went there, but I was miserable. When applying to medical school, I was accepted to both schools again. I chose school B. Never looked back.

NYU has better surgery departments than Yale. Legitimately general surgery, plastic surgery, ENT, ortho, urology, and neurosurgery are all higher ranked at NYU than at Yale, according to doximity (which admittedly isn't perfect). When you apply to residency, the strength of your home department and name recognition of those writing letters/making phone calls for you is more important than overall reputation of the school.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for all the input guys, this has helped me gain a bit more clarity and confidence.

NYU has better surgery departments than Yale. Legitimately general surgery, plastic surgery, ENT, ortho, urology, and neurosurgery are all higher ranked at NYU than at Yale, according to doximity (which admittedly isn't perfect). When you apply to residency, the strength of your home department and name recognition of those writing letters/making phone calls for you is more important than overall reputation of the school.

This type of insight is exactly what I suspected and was hoping someone would confirm! Thanks!

NYU is a much stronger in all the surgical specialties. NYU deals with the most complex cases in the world: face transplants, etc. You can't beat that. Phenomenal program that's well-respected across the country.

You should probably note the dates of posts. OP has long decided where he is going (almost a year ago).