Yale Waitlist Thread 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They're accepting people from group 3 already !?!?!?!?:eek::confused::scared:

Doubtful. Where are you getting your information from?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just trying to stir things up. I bet all the HP people got accepted already though, because they stopped complaining.

I'm just trying to stir things up. I bet all the HP people got accepted already though, because they stopped complaining.

Haha, OK. Don't scare us like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually we haven't swk . . . and we're not complaining. We're just very very sad that's all. :(

Actually we haven't swk . . . and we're not complaining. We're just very very sad that's all. :(

I understand HWL must be a bit worried/concerned, but PLEASE do remember (based on info on this thread and years past) there has never BEEN A YEAR WHERE high waitlisters have not gotten off the waitlist.

I take it this time next week we all will have a better picture of our fate. As I stated in a previous post, PLEASE post any new info you get next week from RS : good or bad news, give it to us straight. And thanks to you all for sharing what you know so far. I will continue to do the same in kind. :)

Usually all HWL candidates would have been taken in a few weeks ago. At this point it's starting to look like this might be the first year where we dont all get in.

Well... how do we know that in the previous years they didnt do this sort of skipping around? From previous mdapplicant profiles I havent seen people listing their groups (but maybe i havent stalked them enough). If someone from group 2 has really gotten an acceptance, Im a little disappointed that people in admissions keep making it seem like they go one by one down the list and dont profile people. Im slightly confused but maybe im just bitter because I feel shafted :(

What are you all thinking?

I don't think so...I have heard that *all* waitlists in all schools are going slow. And that makes sense right? Say some people are at Yale but waiting for John Hopkins waitlists while some from John Hopkins are waiting for Harvard's waitlist. If Harvard's waitlist is slow then John Hopkin's will move slowly because people will hold on until they get in, then Yale's will be slow as well. I am just taking random hypothetical situations, but I think something like that is what is going on, because I have heard the waitlists are slow all over the ranking from UPenn to Yale to Baylor to Emory to Case Western. I don't know if this makes any sense, but it does in my head lol...I don't think it means that it won't move but that everything is going to be VERY behind, but once it starts rolling it will move much faster. Anyway, I will only think my theory is wrong if the waitlist hasn't moved significantly by the beginning of July. But, I like to be optimistic generally speaking :luck:

According to my recent conversation with RS, at this point, Yale is not going "straight down the waitlist." Because things are going so slowly, the admissions people can hand pick each applicant as spots open up. Think of the tier system as a general idea of where people stand. Within each tier, no one is ranked. When a spot opens up, admissions look for the type of candidate they want to replace the person who withdrew. If they can't find anyone in HWL or G1, they move on to G2. Yale isn't using quotas per say, but they do seek a, "balanced" class.

Anyone else really stressed about this Yale waitlist buisness? Just me huh? Cool.

Anyone else really stressed about this Yale waitlist buisness? Just me huh? Cool.

"You know that feeling when you're leaning back in a chair, and then you lean back too far and start to fall and just at the last second you catch yourself? I feel like that all the time." - Stephen Wright

You really captured my essence with that quote Nyx, kudos. :thumbup:

No need to stress out! Getting an interview at Yale indicates that the vast majority of you got into excellent medical schools. It would get really stressful, though, for those who didn't get in elsewhere. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
:D anyone know if this is a regular year or a slow year?

I think we should know by the end of this week (maybe tomorrow, even). Otherwise I will officially suffer a myocardial infarction...:)p)

I'm testing some drugs to prevent cardiac remodeling post-infarct. Let me know if you need any ;)

The 8-10 acceptees that have been approved for deferments have until June 30th to decide. After June 30th there is likely to be little if any movement. Three weeks left to hope...

there may be students currently enrolled that are waiting for other schools... once the accepted people at other schools defer then there might be some accepted students that simply jump ship (without contributing to the 8-10 defer count) to take the spot they really wanted at another university.

there may be students currently enrolled that are waiting for other schools... once the accepted people at other schools defer then there might be some accepted students that simply jump ship (without contributing to the 8-10 defer count) to take the spot they really wanted at another university.

I hope your theory on deferrals is correct b/c, sadly, we won't be able to rely on as much of a waitlist trickle down effect (compared to previous years) since it seems every other school someone might choose over Yale has over enrolled this year. Ack.

I spoke with the asst. director at Yale today to ask about my status on the waitlist, and if there was any new info worth knowing.

Just as we all know, there is no movement and only after June 30th, they would know better whether this year is average or not. She said that I should contact them during the first week of July, so should all of YOU.

By the end of this, we're gonna reach enlightenment. So much waiting... hopefully patience will pay off.

I thought July was the point at which movement was going to be just about over. Unless all of these deferral people are going to wait until the very last minute to make up their minds??

Yale admissions is kind of like a riddle, wrapped inside of a...um...more difficult riddle.

I thought July was the point at which movement was going to be just about over. Unless all of these deferral people are going to wait until the very last minute to make up their minds??

Yale admissions is kind of like a riddle, wrapped inside of a...um...more difficult riddle.

Nyx, you mean June? I thought they would know by the middle of June as well... at least they can tell us how many people are in each tier... oh well. I'm sure they're better at this than we are. :)

Anyone call in and talk to RS today?

Any more lucky former waitlisters around :)

He said that he could still not determine what kind of year this is going to be. But that he was more more pessemistic :( at this point since it has been very stagnant. He said they reviewed the past 5 years and the lowest number of seats that have opened after june 12th, has been 9 which he says is still pretty high. He said that by end of june he'll definitely know one way or the other. Everyone, pray that there is sudden movement and that those deferrals go through.

The class is full, so we can only hope for deferrals and people to come off other waitlists.

Hey All,

I just came across this thread, so I thought I would post as well. I was told Im in GROUP 1 on the waitlist, and talked to Barbara Watts yesterday. She said to just sit tight and that "your in a pretty good position", whatever that means. However, no call from them yet, so Im still just sitting tight. Much like many of you, Yale is also my dream school, so Im hoping we start getting some movement soon!

Its hard to believe however that there would only by 9 more acceptances after june 12th... didnt the letter say something like 25% of their class comes off the waitlist??? Im starting to now have serious doubts as to whether Ill even have a chance of getting in... keeping my fingers crossed :confused:

Keep in mind, 9 is the fewest spots that have opened up after June 12th in the past 5 years (though I'm not sure how much bearing that figure has on this year). Additionally, on most years (I believe), there has been significantly more waitlist movement before June 12th than we had this year, which would make the 25% figure make a bit more sense.

Also, regardless of what the high waitlist meant in previous years, right now it seems like being in Group 1 will give you just about the same chances of being accepted as HWL. Which is about as good as you can hope for at this point. Congrats on G1!

How is everyone feeling? I kinda feel setteled with the idea of going to another med school. Yale is where I want to go, but I am really starting to come into reality and accept that that may not happen - which to my suprise is ok. I am going to be a doctor. Why shouldn't I be happy about that? :cool:

16 days and counting till the end of waiting...

I hear ya, today was the first day I started to deal with all the financial aid forms, medical forms, etc. that my school has been sending me and it has (thankfully) brought me back to reality. Looking forward to working towards a fullfilling career :)

hey all, was accepted off tier 1 waitlist two weeks ago, but in choosing between michigan (full ride, already did undergrad and masters here) and yale (DREAM school for location and program), there was a lot of agonizing...and a lot of tears. in the end, i couldn't justify being a quarter million in debt for "personal joy"

so that's one more spot for someone out there...good luck!

sigh

Those of you who are still waiting . . . when do your backup options have to know by? Thankfully . . . I'm late August but even then, I have to start plans :(

I have to matriculate August 2. which sucks.

hey all, was accepted off tier 1 waitlist two weeks ago, but in choosing between michigan (full ride, already did undergrad and masters here) and yale (DREAM school for location and program), there was a lot of agonizing...and a lot of tears. in the end, i couldn't justify being a quarter million in debt for "personal joy"

sigh

Thank you, TORIFAN!! Every bit counts :)

sigh

Thanks & Good luck at UMichigan!

I have to matriculate August 2. which sucks.

So LolaGene say Yale gets back to you on August 3rd and grants you a spot what happens? Can you not simply leave and go to Yale?

How does this all work. My school starts orientation in mid/late august that extends to the end of August. If class hasn't started officially, why can't I leave if I am offered a spot at Yale?

You can...but many might not want to once they are already settled.

Actually, I think once you register you are locked in, and most places have you register before orientation?

Hey Everyone,
I got in yesterday!! Just thought I'd let you know that there is still indeed movement, so keep the dream alive.
I'll only be satisfied if I can see many of you there in August! Best of Luck everyone!!

Hey Everyone,
I got in yesterday!! Just thought I'd let you know that there is still indeed movement, so keep the dream alive.
I'll only be satisfied if I can see many of you there in August! Best of Luck everyone!!

Woo hoo! Congrats Nyx!!! This is the post I've been waiting for :)

**PLEASE UPDATE if you know your tier**

High priority waitlist

V for Vendetta
FNU LNU

Regular waitlist

Group 1
rapidprotocol
MadSong
dantt (03/26)

Group 2
Andando (03/26)
ltrain (03/24)
creative11 (3/23)
babel (3/24)
palmStreet (5/30 - solid/upper half)
cucumber (5/30)
CrimsOnMama (5/30)
somerandomename (5/30)
jiayou- solid/upper half
Gabujabu

Group 3
JohnnyDrama (3/26 - [high])
uclaRM (5/31) [high]
lolagene (03/26) high
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)
Allie1984(3/28) [high]

Group ?
gonviper (03/24)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)

Withdraw from waitlist (indicate which tier)
Yehosh (group 3)
fotografia (4/09, tier unknown, not HP)
guoj
cgscribe (group 2)
njcaldwell (3/29, group 1)
ndigo- gr 3
babel (group 2)

Acceptance from waitlist (indicate which tier)
ehegi (5/31 - group 1)
torifan (6/6 - group 1)
Nyx1622 (06/14 - high WL)

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
1. CLICK "QUOTE" IN THE MOST RECENT LIST.
2. REMOVE THE "QUOTE TAGS" AT THE BEGINNING AND END OF THE MESSAGE. (THOSE ARE THE (QUOTE=username;123456) and (/QUOTE) EXCEPT WITH BRACKETS IN PLACE OF THE PARENTHESES.
3. ADD YOURSELF.
4. WRITE WHAT YOU DID IN THE TITLE AT THE TOP.
5. IF YOU CAN'T DO IT RIGHT, THEN JUST ASK TO BE ADDED (WITHOUT QUOTING THE WHOLE LIST).

Really? I'm more scared because I feel like I've been passed over. :(

Congratulations though.

Nyx was high waitlist. To me, that means the waitlist is moving. Which is good, right? Plus it's nice to see someone who has been waiting get in :)

Nyx was high waitlist. To me, that means the waitlist is moving. Which is good, right? Plus it's nice to see someone who has been waiting get in :)

True...but does this mean they are starting to slowly trickling the available waitlist spots from those who deferred / are not attending or does it mean those spots have been given out and we weren't fortunate enough to receive any of those?

*edit*

Sorry for being so pessimistic :(

Congrats Nyx! Also, to answer an earlier question, Yale will not accept anyone from the waitlist if they have already begun at another school. So if orientation begins at the school you are presently accepted to on August 13th, Yale will not call you after August 12th.

are you sure that's true? I actually have heard of stories from Yale graduates of one guy who even started University of Michigan, decided he hated it and continually sent letters of interest to Yale and he eventually got in. In fact, I have heard various similar stories, the moral has always been don't give up and keep on writing.

Oh, and congratz Nyx that is awesome!!!