Yale Waitlist Thread 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to Nynxx...- now its probably time for the rest of us to move on - at most Yale will take 5 more people off the wait list in the next 6 weeks -its been pretty clear for about two months that there will be little movement off the waitlists this year for most of the most selective schools because they herd-like decided to overadmit (another confirmation of how competitive these admissions offices are with each other - as bad as undergrad IMO) - past is not prologue at Yale - they did things very differently this year, liley because they had to go very deep in their wait list very recently and don't want to repeat that experience - Hopkins, Penn, etc all oversubscribed,and by this time most anyone who is deferring has pulled the trigger - Id start looking for housing/roommates if I were you at the school who has already admitted you/shown you the love - med school can be pretty challenging and come at you fast the first few weeks..and next year around February look at the weather forecast in New Haven for gratification/validation !

Members don't see this ad.

(Response to Andando's post...)

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

"No school make an acceptance offer, either verbal or written, to any individual who has enrolled in, or begun an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school. Enrollment is defined as being officially matriculated as a member of the school's first-year entering class."

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody understand how loans work with respect to wait lists? When would I need to take out a loan for my backup school and what happens if I don't end up going there?

**PLEASE UPDATE if you know your tier**

High priority waitlist

V for Vendetta
FNU LNU

Regular waitlist

Group 1
rapidprotocol
MadSong
dantt (03/26)

Group 2
Andando (03/26)
ltrain (03/24)
creative11 (3/23)
babel (3/24)
palmStreet (5/30 - solid/upper half)
cucumber (5/30)
CrimsOnMama (5/30)
somerandomename (5/30)
jiayou- solid/upper half
Gabujabu

Group 3
JohnnyDrama (3/26 - [high])
uclaRM (5/31) [high]
lolagene (03/26) high
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)
Allie1984(3/28) [high]

Group ?
gonviper (03/24)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)

Withdraw from waitlist (indicate which tier)
Yehosh (group 3)
fotografia (4/09, tier unknown, not HP)
guoj
cgscribe (group 2)
njcaldwell (3/29, group 1)
ndigo- gr 3
babel (group 2)
444 (3/23, group 3)

Acceptance from waitlist (indicate which tier)
ehegi (5/31 - group 1)
torifan (6/6 - group 1)
Nyx1622 (06/14 - high WL)

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
1. CLICK "QUOTE" IN THE MOST RECENT LIST.
2. REMOVE THE "QUOTE TAGS" AT THE BEGINNING AND END OF THE MESSAGE. (THOSE ARE THE (QUOTE=username;123456) and (/QUOTE) EXCEPT WITH BRACKETS IN PLACE OF THE PARENTHESES.
3. ADD YOURSELF.
4. WRITE WHAT YOU DID IN THE TITLE AT THE TOP.
5. IF YOU CAN'T DO IT RIGHT, THEN JUST ASK TO BE ADDED (WITHOUT QUOTING THE WHOLE LIST).

Congrats to Nynxx...- now its probably time for the rest of us to move on - at most Yale will take 5 more people off the wait list in the next 6 weeks -its been pretty clear for about two months that there will be little movement off the waitlists this year for most of the most selective schools because they herd-like decided to overadmit (another confirmation of how competitive these admissions offices are with each other - as bad as undergrad IMO) - past is not prologue at Yale - they did things very differently this year, liley because they had to go very deep in their wait list very recently and don't want to repeat that experience - Hopkins, Penn, etc all oversubscribed,and by this time most anyone who is deferring has pulled the trigger - Id start looking for housing/roommates if I were you at the school who has already admitted you/shown you the love - med school can be pretty challenging and come at you fast the first few weeks..and next year around February look at the weather forecast in New Haven for gratification/validation !

.While I do agree the situation does not look good for current waitlisters, it is not clear enough for RS to give us a clear indication as to if this year is going to be a "bad" year for waitlisters. I say plan for the worst ( ie make plans for the school you plan to matriculate), but hope for the best. Let's remain hopeful until at least June 30th. After that point we can begin to console each other. .

True...but does this mean they are starting to slowly trickling the available waitlist spots from those who deferred / are not attending or does it mean those spots have been given out and we weren't fortunate enough to receive any of those?

*edit*

Sorry for being so pessimistic :(

I'm pretty sure it's the trickle down effect. In fact, I think we can pretty much pinpoint Nyx acceptance coming from torifan. If I remember correctly from earlier posts, torifan gave up his spot the same day Nyx got his acceptance. Also, the day before that people posted that Watts was saying that there were no spots available.

That's exactly the sense I got from RS. The class has been "full" literally since initial acceptances were handed out months ago. He told me that they're always evaluating the candidates, and the next person is contacted "the very minute" someone defers, etc.
Other medical school interviews I had emphasized the "shuffling" that occurs well into the summer. So don't give up quite yet.

Hey guys,

I just withdrew from Yale on Friday to attend UCLA.

Best of luck to you all!!

I guess no SDNers got that spot? Hope is dwindling in Group 2.

I guess no SDNers got that spot? Hope is dwindling in Group 2.

This is going to sound harsh, but it needs saying around here : Stop complaining and give it some time. Guys, we need not to give up so easily. I strongly beleive we are going to hit group 2 by the end of the summer. Just by these threads alone, there has been good movement in group 1. Just give it 2 more weeks. If you want to give up, at least wait till our chances dramatically drop...come on guys ;)

EDIT: ANYONE CALL TODAY? My work schedule prevents me from calling during the day. I have o sneak away and if I don't get a ring I have to hang up and run back to my desk...anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is going to sound harsh, but it needs saying around here : Stop complaining and give it some time. Guys, we need not to give up so easily. I strongly beleive we are going to hit group 2 by the end of the summer. Just by these threads alone, there has been good movement in group 1. Just give it 2 more weeks. If you want to give up, at least wait till our chances dramatically drop...come on guys ;)

true

High priority waitlist

V for Vendetta
FNU LNU

Regular waitlist

Group 1
rapidprotocol
MadSong
dantt (03/26)

Group 2
Andando (03/26)
ltrain (03/24)
creative11 (3/23)
babel (3/24)
palmStreet (5/30 - solid/upper half)
cucumber (5/30)
CrimsOnMama (5/30)
somerandomename (5/30)
jiayou- solid/upper half
Gabujabu

Group 3
uclaRM (5/31) [high]
lolagene (03/26) high
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)
Allie1984(3/28) [high]

Group ?
gonviper (03/24)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)

Yehosh (group 3)
guoj
cgscribe (group 2)
ndigo- gr 3
babel (group 2)
444 (3/23, group 3)
jnyg008 (6/18, accepted but withdrew)

ehegi (5/31 - group 1)
torifan (6/6 - group 1)

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
2. REMOVE THE "QUOTE TAGS" AT THE BEGINNING AND END OF THE MESSAGE. (THOSE ARE THE (QUOTE=username;123456) and (/QUOTE) EXCEPT WITH BRACKETS IN PLACE OF THE PARENTHESES.
3. ADD YOURSELF.
5. IF YOU CAN'T DO IT RIGHT, THEN JUST ASK TO BE ADDED (WITHOUT QUOTING THE WHOLE LIST).

I wish you all the best. Im sure you are going to a great school anyway :)

High priority waitlist

V for Vendetta
FNU LNU

Regular waitlist

Group 1
rapidprotocol
MadSong
dantt (03/26)

Group 2
Andando (03/26)
ltrain (03/24)
creative11 (3/23)
babel (3/24)
cucumber (5/30)
CrimsOnMama (5/30)
somerandomename (5/30)
jiayou- solid/upper half
Gabujabu

Group 3
uclaRM (5/31) [high]
lolagene (03/26) high
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)
Allie1984(3/28) [high]

Group ?
gonviper (03/24)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)

Yehosh (group 3)
guoj
cgscribe (group 2)
ndigo- gr 3
babel (group 2)
444 (3/23, group 3)
palmStreet (6-18 - solid/upper half)

ehegi (5/31 - group 1)
torifan (6/6 - group 1)

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
3. ADD YOURSELF.

High priority waitlist

V for Vendetta
FNU LNU

Regular waitlist

Group 1
rapidprotocol
MadSong
dantt (03/26)

Group 2
Andando (03/26)
ltrain (03/24)
creative11 (3/23)
babel (3/24)
cucumber (5/30)
CrimsOnMama (5/30)
somerandomename (5/30)
jiayou- solid/upper half
Gabujabu
palmStreet - solid/upper half

Group 3
uclaRM (5/31) [high]
lolagene (03/26) high
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)
Allie1984(3/28) [high]

Group ?
gonviper (03/24)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)

Yehosh (group 3)
guoj
cgscribe (group 2)
ndigo- gr 3
babel (group 2)
444 (3/23, group 3)

ehegi (5/31 - group 1)
torifan (6/6 - group 1)

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
3. ADD YOURSELF.

I wish you all the best. Im sure you are going to a great school anyway :)

Sorry, but you're not getting rid of me yet;)

I was trying to update jnyg008 on the list.. I'll let you guys know in advance if I decide to do it.

No , No. You said you withdrew, so you better go through with it damn it.

haha..i thought that was a bit strange given your previous post. i thought something major (on the order of a harvard acceptance) had taken place :p

Here is the following I just got from Silverman:

(1) The situation with waitlist movement is still slow (obvious)

(2) He expects movement to pick up at the end of June. Many people who he talked about earlier in the month that said they were going to defer still have not, which is why there hasn't been the "sudden movement, which he still expects will happen.

(3) Call back at the end of June/beginning of July and he can give more info.

(4) He sounded somewhat hopeful, but still unsure as to what is going to happen in the end.

Thanks for the info. Did he say anything about whether they are still only choosing people from Group 1 or when they will fiiiiiinally know what kind of year this is?

I got similar information from Mr. Silverman yesterday. He says that they analyzed the information from previous years and there are usually 10ish spots that shift around between mid-June and very early July.

It seems that we are counting on the current students who said they were going to defer to actually go through with it. If they do, then chances are good for several waitlisters. If they don't (which is possible since this year seems so atypical across the board) then... well, you know.

Things aren't looking as great as past years, but we'll have to wait until next week to know where we stand and what kind of year it has been.

anyone call today? They cut the calling time short for a meeting.

well, its been real- where is everyone really going now that their first choice (Yale) out the question ? Im off to UNC (in state)...

So next week is pretty much it? :rolleyes:

i'll be able to rest a little easy after next week is over. No more checking phone messages hoping RS left a message...oh well

:cool: Yep. Just one more week of waiting and one week before I can remove SDN from my Internet Bookmarks! Yay

Have great weekends everybody! Doing something fun will be a great stress reliever/help the time pass faster :p

In anticipation of some movement tomorrow, here's a shameless bump:cool:

Good luck this week and PLEASE let us know if you hear any news. :)

Anything? Anyone withdraw from the waitlist or hear about movement or was taken off...

In fact, you are probably a hero to a lot of us on this thread. Which UC? Seems like a lot of people ditch Yale for UCSF... something about the location I guess.

A little understandable I guess . . . Yale's great. But UCSF is for California students cheaper, warmer, and in a funner location. Not to mention better research and primary care rankings whatever that means. Having been rejected from SF pre-interview though, Yale is my first choice :laugh:

NewMedicalStudent... :thumbup:Congrats on the UCSF acceptance. That's great!

could you tell us which group you were in? Its ok if you don't want to.:rolleyes:

anyone still think there is hope in these next three days?

besides me that is . . .

so , who is going to call in?

as;dlkfajs;dlkfja;skldfja;sldfjaklsdjfkasdfjlaksdjf

hey,

i was in group 2 and i just got offered a spot at yale. i am debating between yale and stanford now and i am having a really tough time deciding. any insights? good luck to everyone! i thought i had no hope - but somehow i did so hang in there!

hey,

i was in group 2 and i just got offered a spot at yale. i am debating between yale and stanford now and i am having a really tough time deciding. any insights? good luck to everyone! i thought i had no hope - but somehow i did so hang in there!

First off, Congrats!!! it's good to see a group 2 get it. Personally, I would go to stanford (I am biased b/c I am on the waitlist at yale).

Both schools have similar cutlures, but stanford is the better school. Higher ranking, smaller class, better environment (cali), plus you can get paid to TA. A friend of mine chose stanford over Yale without much thought. If you were comparing Yale vs. UCSF or Yale vs. WashU, I could understand the debate. But really, Stanford is the better choice.

Edit: You asked this same question in May on a different thread. Did you just get off? or did you get off a while ago and still making your decision.

Has anyone talked to RS today or yesterday. I talked to Watts but she didn't give me any new information. All she said was that "we are still waiting on people to defer." She also told me they have till June 30th. Today is the 27th, they could give us something more accurate...the the 30th is saturday anyways.

If there is a goup 2 person getting in today, there must be some news from RS to report.

hey,

I am also biased b/c I am on the waitlist at Yale, but if Stanford hadn't rejected me pre-interview and if I had the option, I'd probably strongly consider Stanford over Yale as well. It has many of the same positive attributes (P/F, lots of flexibility, small class, etc), with some additional perks of location, better rep, etc. It's great to hear that group two has some movement though.

Good luck with your decision!

Also, I'll try getting through to RS tomorrow to see what the story with the deferrals is....

Spoke to admissions and they said we need to wait until next week to have a more definite idea of what is going on. Which I think means nothing is moving at this point... sigh. Post if you hear anything.

Hi all. Just for kicks I checked this thread, since last year this time I was also on the Yale waitlist (upper third of group 2) and praying for things to happen. I called RS every couple of weeks, and was told each time that I was likely to be admitted within the next two weeks. I kept getting my hopes up, but the date I was supposed to be admitted kept getting later, and later, and later...Eventually, I packed up my stuff, and had it shipped to New Haven, because I'd been told by RS that "this late in the game, I've been telling a lot of people to start making plans elsewhere. I'm not going to tell you that, but I can't make any concrete promises either." Needless to say, after an entire summer on edge, I was just about through with the excessive hopefulness. Just as I started driving east (from Arizona--my other acceptance was in NY), RS said that he knew of 2 people who he thought were going to defer, and if that happened I'd definitely be in. By 3rd grade logic, that meant I was next or 2nd on the wait list. Still, when I changed where my stuff was shipped just in case to Rochester, NY, and drove out. When I got into Roc, I called RS one more time, and he said it wasn't going to happen. An entire 3 months on pins and needles, and that enormous disappointment.

I relate this because I want to emphasize how important it is to prepare yourself to go somewhere else, both physically and mentally. I had to find a place to live 2 days before class started, and moved all my junk into my new house during orientation week. I got a nice house, but paid too much. As for the mental prep, I spent the first 2 weeks or so bumming that I wasn't at Yale, and it made me miserable for that time. Since then, I've gotten over it, and really enjoy Rochester (P/F for 2 years, like Yale, and my classmates are the greatest) but I was in your place just a year ago. All I have to say, I guess, is best of luck, and sorry that this process is so ****ty. Med school is great, and you'll all enjoy it and do well wherever you go, especially if you're waitlisted at a school like Yale.

Hi all. Just for kicks I checked this thread, since last year this time I was also on the Yale waitlist (upper third of group 2) and praying for things to happen. I called RS every couple of weeks, and was told each time that I was likely to be admitted within the next two weeks. I kept getting my hopes up, but the date I was supposed to be admitted kept getting later, and later, and later...Eventually, I packed up my stuff, and had it shipped to New Haven, because I'd been told by RS that "this late in the game, I've been telling a lot of people to start making plans elsewhere. I'm not going to tell you that, but I can't make any concrete promises either." Needless to say, after an entire summer on edge, I was just about through with the excessive hopefulness. Just as I started driving east (from Arizona--my other acceptance was in NY), RS said that he knew of 2 people who he thought were going to defer, and if that happened I'd definitely be in. By 3rd grade logic, that meant I was next or 2nd on the wait list. Still, when I changed where my stuff was shipped just in case to Rochester, NY, and drove out. When I got into Roc, I called RS one more time, and he said it wasn't going to happen. An entire 3 months on pins and needles, and that enormous disappointment.

I relate this because I want to emphasize how important it is to prepare yourself to go somewhere else, both physically and mentally. I had to find a place to live 2 days before class started, and moved all my junk into my new house during orientation week. I got a nice house, but paid too much. As for the mental prep, I spent the first 2 weeks or so bumming that I wasn't at Yale, and it made me miserable for that time. Since then, I've gotten over it, and really enjoy Rochester (P/F for 2 years, like Yale, and my classmates are the greatest) but I was in your place just a year ago. All I have to say, I guess, is best of luck, and sorry that this process is so ****ty. Med school is great, and you'll all enjoy it and do well wherever you go, especially if you're waitlisted at a school like Yale.

Thank you for your post. I think it will help a lot of waitlisters.

Edit: Also, if you spoke to RS recently PLEASE POST. Myself, CrimsonMama, and Lola are the only ones in a while to share information. There is little incentive for us to continue if people are not doing the same in kind.

Depressing. It appears the intended deferrals waited so long for a reason . . . they ended up not deferring.

For my own sanity, are there any high wait listers left? Should I still hang onto hope?

I really wouldn't worry about what tier you or anyone else is in right now. It just doesn't seem to matter... Yale is taking who ever they need to build a balanced class... you could be next.