Yale Waitlist Thread 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dantt,

Is that confirmed info or speculation about whether deferrals are likely or not likely?

O.k. I get that about sharing information. As you know, I try and not be totally anonymous in threads, so that shifts a little bit about how much I want to share - I know, defeats the purpose of an anonymous forum. However, I agree with the comment that sharing is what is meant to be happening here, and that only a few are doing so. And so, in an attempt to balance that a bit - I have called a couple of times, and of course I am sending info here and there. I have not called since last week, and I don't know what kind of movement is happening in terms of leading up to deferral. Hence, why I'm asking about whether the deferral info was speculation etc.

I hope that helps in terms of promoting sharing, and at the same time preserves what I'm trying to do which is to be a little less anonymous and at the same time respectful of the power of internet sharing and honouring the privacy of conversations. Strange balance, and yes, I know that this is against the purposes of an sdn. Therefore, I'm not totally useful to the process and at the same time I hope to have done my part in the group dynamic here....

Siobhan

Members don't see this ad.

Confirmed from Silverman that future acceptances will likely be withdrawals. But at the same time, Crims' information suggests things are not as simple as that.

I am starting to seriously make plans for next year now.

Confirmed from Silverman that future acceptances will likely be withdrawals. But at the same time, Crims' information suggests things are not as simple as that.

I am starting to seriously make plans for next year now.

We'll at least we know.

Did he give any reasons as to what happened. How did he not know this was coming? I am sure he knew earlier that this was going to happen...

Members don't see this ad :)
Veddhead, I looked at your mdapp profile and it reminded me so much of myself. Great stats, interviewed at all the pipe dream schools, and disappointed. I know it isn't over but my waitlist "position" doesn't seem like it means much anymore. I always thought all the first and second tiers got through last year because they reached deep into 3rd tier supposedly.

Assistant director said class is full, but they do anticipate more openings (unknown when and how many) in the summer.

Veddhead, I agree with you. I have been stuck on the waitlists of four dream schools, and I was hoping for just one offer from them, after sending in many updates. While there is some hope, it's time to start enjoying this summer, and start paying serious attention to the school I do hold an acceptance from.

Assistant director said class is full, but they do anticipate more openings (unknown when and how many) in the summer.

Veddhead, I agree with you. I have been stuck on the waitlists of four dream schools, and I was hoping for just one offer from them, after sending in many updates. While there is some hope, it's time to start enjoying this summer, and start paying serious attention to the school I do hold an acceptance from.

Good luck to you guys anyway! As far as them getting into 3rd tier last year is concerned, I certainly hope that isn't the case, because I know I was somewhere in the middle area of tier 2 and didn't get the call. Maybe Silverman had it out for me? Just kidding.

Good luck again! I know how bad this sucks. Just know that you'll likely get in somewhere, and if your attitude is good, you can love it just as much.

Hi there,

I'm imagining that the later that summer goes, more and more people on the waitlist have matriculated for the year at other places. If there is a spot or two deep into August, it may potentially take 'into the third tier' to fill that spot. That could be how those things happen.

4paw,

Are you only hypothesizing based on common sense? Or did you speak to someone about this?

4paw,

Are you only hypothesizing based on common sense? Or did you speak to someone about this?

What 4paw said is true. Maybe he figured it out by using common sense, but it is well known that it happens. Why else do you think that they have a 3rd tier waitlist with a trillion people? Basically, so that if the s$%& hits the fan the day before matriculation there will still be a couple of people that haven't matriculated and will accept an offer. So technically, you are at an advantage if you are holding a spot at a school that matriculates later because as people matriculate you keep moving up on the waitlist.

if you are on the Yale waitlist

and

you accept an offer from another school...

that means you have withdrawn from the yale waitlist? :confused:

if you are on the Yale waitlist

and

you accept an offer from another school...

that means you have withdrawn from the yale waitlist? :confused:

If you accept an offer from another school you have to withdraw the original acceptance you were holding (assuming you had one). However, that does NOT mean that you have to withdraw from the Yale waitlist. You will only have to withdraw from the waitlist when you matriculate at another school.

So when people matriculate, it means they begin their studies at that school?

Members don't see this ad :)
so orientations take place about a week before classes start? or when?

4paw,

Hi Cucumber,

In the aamc guide, there is an honour-code rule, i.e. 'strongly reccomended', that a school not offer a seat to a person who has already *matriculated* at another school (i.e. registered for classes?). By inference, that would mean that the more schools with matriculation dates that have passed, the less viable waitlist members able to truly accept a spot. However, not too many spots become available, by inference, because the more schools that have started, the less people accepting elsewhere, and the less leaving the class that has already been formed. But I'm sure from time to time there are a few spots that come up near the end. I'm not so sure that I agree with ggman that there are a zillion people in tier three to begin with....but I am being semantic because I myself am in tier three and I don't like the tone which to me read that it is somehow where anyone could have ended up. I do agree with the spirit of the point, which is that schools will create waitlists that seem big but aren't when there are last-minute drop-outs. those things do happen - whether a person deciding not to pursue medicine, or for more unhappy reasons. A friend of the family had to do that just before starting medicine when leukemia had returned. things sometimes happen. so i suppose an end-of-summer acceptance would likely be a bitter-sweet event.

Siobhan (a female Irish name)

please post. if you are on the priority list but have not gotten an offer.

esdp85,

I am on the High Priority list and have not been accepted (and I don't expect to be). I think that four HP's have posted to this thread. One was accepted and one withdrew. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the tier thing. At this point in the game, admissions is focusing on having a, "balanced" class; an arbitrary ranking from several months ago doesn't mean a whole lot. Good luck with everything.

Any news at all? withdrawals? acceptances? anything??? i have a friend who is anxiously watching this waitlist...

I think it's about the time for you high waitlisters to sue R.S. (not a fan of him) or YMS:cool:, I don't know about other groups, but I do know from my girlfriend that high waitlisters got letters different from the others, which stated explicitly that you guys would be the first to be accepted. They violated what they promised. Sue them and get monetary compensation for your injured souls.:idea: that is how this great country works.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for answering my questions. That's too bad that some of you who were on the priority waitlist haven't been accepted. They shouldn't make empty promises like that, even if it is a waitlist after all.

I received an email from Silverman after I sent him an update letter a month ago. He said that "he wishes he had good news for me..." and basically gave me a spiel about how this year has been slow.

Anyway, good luck to everyone. I hope you have back-up schools because not everybody does... So consider yourselves lucky if you got in somewhere. You'll forget about Yale eventually and you can be happy wherever you go, just don't put Yale up on a pedestal. It's too cold in New Haven anyway.

ciao

:( I guess it's time for me to give up my hope.

I really wanted to go to Yale even if it's freaking cold there, and even if I would have to pay so much more money for it...

Well I guess I won't get to live in the east coast. :(

Bump! Any news at all - one way or the other????