Yale Waitlist Thread 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody HP or group 1 get off the list yet? If not, have you considered withdrawing?

Members don't see this ad.

hey swk, according to Director Silverman (and an email he sent to the high waitlisters) there have been a "few" offers of admission already made from the waitlist. We have to assume these are high waitlisters, either MD only or MSTP. Supposedly things will be picking up around June 15th, once the 8-10 deferals he mentioned start being processed. The official deadline for granting deferals is June 30th, so by the end of the month the admissions office should really be able to give you a definitive guess as to your chances of an acceptance this year. Yes I said it . . . definitive guess. Let's hope next week brings some good news!

**PLEASE UPDATE if you know your tier**[/COLOR][/B]

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)

Regular waitlist

Group 1
ehegi (5/31)
rapidprotocol
MadSong
dantt (03/26)

Group 2
Andando (03/26)
ltrain (03/24)
creative11 (3/23)
babel (3/24)
palmStreet (5/30 - solid/upper half)
cucumber (5/30)
CrimsOnMama (5/30)
somerandomename (5/30)
jiayou- solid/upper half
Gabujabu

Group 3
JohnnyDrama (3/26 - [high])
uclaRM (5/31) [high]
lolagene (03/26) high
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)

Group ?
gonviper (03/24)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Allie1984 (3/28)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)

Withdraw from waitlist (indicate which tier)
Yehosh (group 3)
fotografia (4/09, tier unknown, not HP)
guoj
cgscribe (group 2)
njcaldwell (3/29, group 1)
ndigo- gr 3
babel (group 2)

Acceptance from waitlist (indicate which tier)

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
1. CLICK "QUOTE" IN THE MOST RECENT LIST.
2. REMOVE THE "QUOTE TAGS" AT THE BEGINNING AND END OF THE MESSAGE. (THOSE ARE THE (QUOTE=username;123456) and (/QUOTE) EXCEPT WITH BRACKETS IN PLACE OF THE PARENTHESES.
3. ADD YOURSELF.
4. WRITE WHAT YOU DID IN THE TITLE AT THE TOP.
5. IF YOU CAN'T DO IT RIGHT, THEN JUST ASK TO BE ADDED (WITHOUT QUOTING THE WHOLE LIST).

Members don't see this ad :)
**PLEASE UPDATE if you know your tier**

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)
V for Vendetta
FNU LNU

Regular waitlist

Group 1
ehegi (5/31)
rapidprotocol
MadSong
dantt (03/26)

Group 2
Andando (03/26)
ltrain (03/24)
creative11 (3/23)
babel (3/24)
cucumber (5/30)
CrimsOnMama (5/30)
somerandomename (5/30)
jiayou- solid/upper half
Gabujabu

Group 3
uclaRM (5/31) [high]
lolagene (03/26) high
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)

Group ?
gonviper (03/24)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
Allie1984 (3/28)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)

Yehosh (group 3)
guoj
cgscribe (group 2)
ndigo- gr 3
babel (group 2)

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
2. REMOVE THE "QUOTE TAGS" AT THE BEGINNING AND END OF THE MESSAGE. (THOSE ARE THE (QUOTE=username;123456) and (/QUOTE) EXCEPT WITH BRACKETS IN PLACE OF THE PARENTHESES.
3. ADD YOURSELF.
5. IF YOU CAN'T DO IT RIGHT, THEN JUST ASK TO BE ADDED (WITHOUT QUOTING THE WHOLE LIST).

I just want to make sure. Has anyone who is an SDN reader gotten off the waitlist? Please even you have never posted, please post something if you got off the waitlist. I can't believe there isn't one SDN reader (regular poster or not) who hasn't gotten off the HWL. Even if it's just "a few." Come on, I know you are reading this post right now and hesitating. ;)

Oh how I wish I could be the one to say "ME ME I got off the damn waitlist!!!!" But NO. Im aaaaall the way back in group 3. :(

Oh how I wish I could be the one to say "ME ME I got off the damn waitlist!!!!" But NO. Im aaaaall the way back in group 3. :(

Hang in there LolaGene. For the past couple of years they have gone into group 3. It may be slow now, but we don't know what could happen even a week frorm now. It's waaayyyyy (if I might borrow your technique too early to know what's going to happen two months from now. I know it sucks. Trust me I go through my moments where I'm like "just give up...it's over...no one is getting in this year from the waitlist" and then I remember that I have no control over this process and it's something I am going to have to accept. As pre-meds/rising MSI students we are use to having complete control over our lives. We planned each year during college to ensure that we would be in the position of being good medical school applicants. Now that we have arrived at this point, we have to learn to accept what life hands us.

I'm sure you will be a great doctor. Whether as a Yale or Vandy graduate (?, I though I saw you say Vandy was where you were going for now), you will do just fine.

:)

Hang in there LolaGene. For the past couple of years they have gone into group 3. It may be slow now, but we don't know what could happen even a week frorm now. It's waaayyyyy (if I might borrow your technique too early to know what's going to happen two months from now. I know it sucks. Trust me I go through my moments where I'm like "just give up...it's over...no one is getting in this year from the waitlist" and then I remember that I have no control over this process and it's something I am going to have to accept. As pre-meds/rising MSI students we are use to having complete control over our lives. We planned each year during college to ensure that we would be in the position of being good medical school applicants. Now that we have arrived at this point, we have to learn to accept what life hands us.

I'm sure you will be a great doctor. Whether as a Yale or Vandy graduate (?, I though I saw you say Vandy was where you were going for now), you will do just fine.

:)

You are sweet. Ok, I'm hanging. You too, now! ;)

hello there-
dont' usually post in these forums, but suppose i should...recieved call from Mr. Silverman last week with a "verbal acceptance"...wouldn't give me an "official one" until I committed verbally to going there. Once i did (today), Univeristy of Michigan responded with a close-to-full ride within 10 minutes, leaving me now torn. i loved yale and would REALLY love to get out of michigan (grew up around here, have two degrees from umich), but not sure if it's worth 200-250k.

anyhow, there's your update on waitlist movement, and i apologize for sounding unappreciative but between the headache in deciding on my future, i truly am happy and VERY VERY grateful.

best of luck to you all!

ice

hello there-
dont' usually post in these forums, but suppose i should...recieved call from Mr. Silverman last week with a "verbal acceptance"...wouldn't give me an "official one" until I committed verbally to going there. Once i did (today), Univeristy of Michigan responded with a close-to-full ride within 10 minutes, leaving me now torn. i loved yale and would REALLY love to get out of michigan (grew up around here, have two degrees from umich), but not sure if it's worth 200-250k.

anyhow, there's your update on waitlist movement, and i apologize for sounding unappreciative but between the headache in deciding on my future, i truly am happy and VERY VERY grateful.

best of luck to you all!

ice

Wow, Congrats!! I knew there was at least one SDNer learking around with an acceptance off the waitlist. ;)

Edit: Did you get any details about the waitlist in your conversation with Silverman? Do you think you were a HWL that didn't get notice for some reason until now?

hello there-

best of luck to you all!

ice

I am biased, but in all reality, both are great schools. I would go with the free ride. It will alleviate a lot of stress early on in your career. Good luck with you decision (you really can't go wrong either way, especially if you're rich).

I'm confused. Are they taking people off the WL out of order?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused. Are they taking people off the WL out of order?

Seems that way. Personally, I'm guessing RS realized they're going to have more than enough spots for everyone on the waitlist, and can just do away with the whole tier system this year. ;)

On the other hand, the person who said (s)he got off from tier one listed pre-optometry on the SDN profile. Was it for the School of Optometry? Doubtful, as Mr. Silverman is unlikely to be dean of admissions for this school as well. Additionally, I don't know if optometry costs 200-250k. Either way, best of luck to this person, and congrats!!

Congrats to torifan!

I wonder if they're trying to maintain balance/diversity in the class and replacing people who withdraw with "similar" people from the waitlist? So they start with the high waitlisters, but will go to group 1 if they don't find a "match"? Just a thought. I could see the need to do this, especially with such a small class size.

Fingers crossed, guys :luck:

How are you high waitlisters doing? I have heard of group 1 students getting off the list . . .

How many g1 students other than the one who posted here have you heard about?

Seems that way. Personally, I'm guessing RS realized they're going to have more than enough spots for everyone on the waitlist, and can just do away with the whole tier system this year. ;)

On the other hand, the person who said (s)he got off from tier one listed pre-optometry on the SDN profile. Was it for the School of Optometry? Doubtful, as Mr. Silverman is unlikely to be dean of admissions for this school as well. Additionally, I don't know if optometry costs 200-250k. Either way, best of luck to this person, and congrats!!

I hereby nominate you, since you are HP, to call and find out what is going on. Anyone else in favor of Nyx calling in?

I hereby nominate you, since you are HP, to call and find out what is going on. Anyone else in favor of Nyx calling in?

Sure thing, I'd be happy to call. It'll have to be tomorrow, though, as I don't have my cell phone (and work phone is not so good for long distance).

(Possibly silly question following:) Would it seem sketchy if I knew about G1 people getting in? What's the etiquette about what info we are and aren't supposed to know?

Sure thing, I'd be happy to call. It'll have to be tomorrow, though, as I don't have my cell phone (and work phone is not so good for long distance).

(Possibly silly question following:) Would it seem sketchy if I knew about G1 people getting in? What's the etiquette about what info we are and aren't supposed to know?

I guess you could ask if acceptances are extended strictly in order of tiers or you can ask if any group 1 waitlisters have been admitted. See what answer RS gives us.

I've been perusing this thread for awhile and thought I'd give my two cents. It seems that like Penn, Yale's groups aren't very rigid. I was taken off the Penn waitlist in the first group of movement even though initially I was ranked on the "generic" list which people said was an automatic rejection. I was very persistent in expressing my interest and know that I was taken off the list before those who were told they were ranked at the top of the list. More so than your group, your interest will probably determine when you come off. If anything this is evidenced by Richard Silverman asking for a commitment before offering an acceptance. Don't be discouraged if you are not at the top of the list, and don't be complacent if you are. I'm sure 80% of you have been writing letters/calling like crazy so I guess this is for the other 20%;). :luck:

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)
V for Vendetta
FNU LNU

Regular waitlist

Group 1
ehegi (5/31)
rapidprotocol
MadSong
dantt (03/26)

Group 2
Andando (03/26)
ltrain (03/24)
creative11 (3/23)
babel (3/24)
cucumber (5/30)
CrimsOnMama (5/30)
somerandomename (5/30)
jiayou- solid/upper half
Gabujabu

Group 3
uclaRM (5/31) [high]
lolagene (03/26) high
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)
Allie1984(3/28) [high]

Group ?
gonviper (03/24)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)

Yehosh (group 3)
guoj
cgscribe (group 2)
ndigo- gr 3
babel (group 2)

===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
3. ADD YOURSELF.

Nyx, I don't think its inappropriate to mention that you know some people have gotten in out of group 1, just say that you heard from a friend. Please try to get as much info as possible. For example, how big is group 1? how many people are still waiting HP, why he would have a better idea around the middle of june and not the end of june. anything you can get would be great. Thank you x 10^6

Just talked to Mr. Silverman. He said they are "still plodding away through group 1" but at this time last year would have reached group 2. Like he told others, he said to expect more in the next 10ish days, and that the deadline for deferrals is 6/30. In addition to the deferrals, he mentioned that several students are holding spots at 2 schools, for either financial or family reasons that are being resolved and so some of them may choose not to come to yale.

Has anyone figured out what "solid position" means? ;)

I just spoke to Mr. Silverman as well.

He said he had about the same news as the last time I called, but this time he wanted to leave on a note of OPTIMISM (unlike "above average"/"below average" confusion, I can only interpret "optimism" as a good thing for us ;)), that he knows of some spots very soon that will be opening in the class due to deferring, etc. (Essentially what we already know.)

I asked if the groups are taken in order, and he said the short answer was 'yes,' however there is occasionally some mixing of the bottom of one group vs. the top of the other group. Additionally there is some "class building" as he called it, involving male/female ratios, etc. But this is still relatively minor.

Asking about group size, he said HP and Group 1 were very very small groups. 2 is a little larger, and they expect most years to get into group 3.

I hope this helps, guys! Hold fast to dreams!

I had to go to work early this morning and didn't get a chance to check the forums until now. I was going to ask to see if someone could call RS to find out why things are a bit out order, but it appears the work has already been done.

So happy I found SDN! :D

Just talked to Mr. Silverman. He said they are "still plodding away through group 1" but at this time last year would have reached group 2. Like he told others, he said to expect more in the next 10ish days, and that the deadline for deferrals is 6/30. In addition to the deferrals, he mentioned that several students are holding spots at 2 schools, for either financial or family reasons that are being resolved and so some of them may choose not to come to yale.

Has anyone figured out what "solid position" means? ;)

If I can remember the conversation, RS told me that I am in "a solid position, in the upper half of the 2nd group" and that "things looked good for you, so you are in a pretty good position." That's all i can remember. I don't think it means THAT MUCH given that they skip around among groups. hope that helps.

just want to let you know, they don't handle this waitlist thing in any order :cool:
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=7445

Congrats on your acceptance!

It's so weird that they make a big deal about assigning the groups and giving us the information if they don't want to actually use them. Seems more like what I'd call an "unranked" waitlist...

Nyx..OPTIMISM is always a good thing. At least when it's coming from the director of admissions.

I thought that HP was 20, right? So, 20 HP, 20 gr1, 30 gr2 (40? 50?) to get 70+ acceptances off the waitlist? Sounds way too high to me. And 20 doesn't seem very very small. Maybe admissions is just too complicated for us applicant types to understand.

Are you all female? Ladies first?

(Congrats)

Are you all female? Ladies first?

(Congrats)

I am happy for you guys/gals!!! I don't understand the system (you're in group 1, right?), but I am really happy for you.

Edit: woops, I quoted the wrong person.

Ok, so I am happy the waitlist is moving along, but I can't understand what they are doing. The only way I can semi-rationalize what they are doing is that they are taking people near the bottom of HWL and top of tier 1. That girl in my tier though got in today though throws me off...

So any of you new acceptancees thinking of defering?

This is driving me crazy. I hate to be cliche but "emotional rollercoaster" pretty much sums it up. It's pretty awful that we have to worry about minor details such as where we are gonna live on top of everything...:p

You think Yale knows when students on their waitlist get scholarships to other top tier schools? I just realized that two of the posters who said they got off also mentioned they had scholarships to other good schools...

High priority waitlist

Nyx1622 (3/24)
V for Vendetta
FNU LNU

Regular waitlist

Group 1
rapidprotocol
MadSong
dantt (03/26)

Group 2
Andando (03/26)
ltrain (03/24)
creative11 (3/23)
babel (3/24)
cucumber (5/30)
CrimsOnMama (5/30)
somerandomename (5/30)
jiayou- solid/upper half
Gabujabu

Group 3
uclaRM (5/31) [high]
lolagene (03/26) high
orangescape (3/24)
FujiApple (3/26)
4paw (3/26, dated 3/23)
Allie1984(3/28) [high]

Group ?
gonviper (03/24)
docjg17 (03/24)
CubanDoc (3/26)
i'm the map (3/26)
esdp85(3/24)
Homer Simpson (3/24)
LaDAndouna (3/26)
WhyIsThisSoHard (3/26)
Zellybelly (3/27)
jdm34721 (3/23)
TheAsianBullet (3/23)
444 (3/23)
Prizzi (3/25)
eekonomics (3/25)
e12345r (3/23)

Yehosh (group 3)
guoj
cgscribe (group 2)
ndigo- gr 3
babel (group 2)

ehegi (5/31 - group 1)
torifan (6/6 - group 1)
===DON'T DELETE===
TO ADD YOURSELF:
3. ADD YOURSELF.

high waitlisters - what is going on?!?! i was assuming we would get in before group 1 . . .

You think Yale knows when students on their waitlist get scholarships to other top tier schools? I just realized that two of the posters who said they got off also mentioned they had scholarships to other good schools...

I dont see how that would be an incentive for Yale to take people off who have good offers to other schools. If anything, it would be a gamble because they could lose time giving people a grace period only to have them decline the offer. They could jeopardize their class size. That being said, although as I understand schools only have access to the list of places to which youve been accepted only after they accept you and as far as ive heard, schools dont know anything about financial packets, I would not doubt it if there is communication between adcoms from different schools (however that would work). But given a new acceptance from being taken off the waitlist, the school that had been the sole acceptance def has an incentive to offer the applicant more $, which happened to my bf.

ps: V -- I feel ya...

high waitlisters - what is going on?!?! i was assuming we would get in before group 1 . . .

Again, in my conversation with Mr. Silverman today, he did suggest that while yale does not seek quotas, per se, they do a little bit of "class building," and he specifically mentioned Male/Female ratio, and they sometimes have to skip around a little bit (especially since HWL and G1 are so small).

Thank Nyx, I suppose that makes sense, even though it kills me to admit it.

Wow, Congrats!! I knew there was at least one SDNer learking around with an acceptance off the waitlist. ;)

Edit: Did you get any details about the waitlist in your conversation with Silverman? Do you think you were a HWL that didn't get notice for some reason until now?

To respond to this quote: over a week before the official "call in" date for waitlist status, I had called (unknowingly) to see where I stood....and i'll probably get blacklisted at yale for telling you all now, but first Mr. Silverman said he couldn't tell me my position for a week, but then told me that I was in group 1. I had sent a few "I love Yale Yale is my top choice" letters, an extra LOR, updates, etc. And yes, he did ask for verbal commitment before officially offering the spot...I hope I don't screw myself over in the long run by changing my mind!

Regarding money to other schools, I did not have a significant scholarship at Michigan prior to Yale acceptance. I gave Mr. Silverman my verbal commitment, then he emailed Michigan...within 10 minutes, Michigan upped the money.

Never realized it was such a crazy game. Anyhow, I will be deferring no matter where I go, so best of luck to you all!! :)

To respond to this quote: over a week before the official "call in" date for waitlist status, I had called (unknowingly) to see where I stood....and i'll probably get blacklisted at yale for telling you all now, but first Mr. Silverman said he couldn't tell me my position for a week, but then told me that I was in group 1. I had sent a few "I love Yale Yale is my top choice" letters, an extra LOR, updates, etc. And yes, he did ask for verbal commitment before officially offering the spot...I hope I don't screw myself over in the long run by changing my mind!

Regarding money to other schools, I did not have a significant scholarship at Michigan prior to Yale acceptance. I gave Mr. Silverman my verbal commitment, then he emailed Michigan...within 10 minutes, Michigan upped the money.

Never realized it was such a crazy game. Anyhow, I will be deferring no matter where I go, so best of luck to you all!! :)

Can you defer at Yale after getting in off the waitlist? Just curious.

V & Nyx,

At second look I was told several times that Yale will skip around a little bit on their waitlists in order to have a desirable male/female ratio and class diversity. For what it's worth, I don't think any of us has been passed over, but it's probably a good idea to make sure that Yale still knows that we are interested. Keep the faith everyone.

FNU

Did everyone/most people get these descriptions:

"solid position" and "high" on the waitlist? I am trying to determine how much weight to put on these terms.

My 2 cents:

Being told that you are high anywhere is borderline irrelevant. It is to the admissions' advantage to keep everyone interested for as long as possible. Nevertheless, if you are told something more specific I think it should be weighed more heavily. Perhaps the group you were given gives you a general idea about Yale's interest in you along with an estimate of your chances of getting in (it seems that people in group 1 and 2 are getting in when HWs are not, which tells us they are picking more or less randomly from those pools in order to fill an empty spot while keeping the classes' diversity intact). That's as far as I can speculate. Hope's a bitch. You can thank human nature for that;)

Look for your acceptance, but trust not to hope, it has forsaken these forums.

Look for your acceptance, but trust not to hope, it has forsaken these forums.

Yikes, that's a downer. Only a few more weeks until we know something more concrete, don't give up!!

They're accepting people from group 3 already !?!?!?!?:eek::confused::scared: