Yale Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdacceptee2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when/how we will find out our rankings? Also, I noticed from reading last year's thread that there was a high priority waitlist- anyone receive a high priority letter this year?

Members don't see this ad.

There are no high priority rankings this year, and the tiers will be decided after Yale has received the documents indicating whether or not we all want to be kept on the waitlist, or decline.

(I read this information on another listserve two weeks ago, it was written from someone actually in the Yale office of admissions when we were all frieking out after decision letters were sent. I can't find the thread now).

Hi guys and gals,

I was in your situation last year, waitlisted at Yale (my old login was deleted, so I started a fresh one). It was a horrible thing to go through for one reason: the Yale office of admissions was deceptive.

So, they broke us down into priority, and then lists 1, 2, and 3. I was a 1. A friend of mine, that I actually met while interviewing at a different school, was a 2. She got in, I did not. There were also some people on the priority list that didn't get in, even though they dug into the 2nd list (this is all on the thread from last year, if it's still up).

What is not on the list is stuff that I found out when I made it to my current school (a top school (ranked several spots above Yale), so things worked out for the best, but I say that because I'm not bitter about not getting into Yale, only about the way I was treated). I was told by Mr Silverman that I was #2 or 3 on their list and should be expecting to get in "any day"...this went on for almost 4 weeks. Finally, mid-July I threw in the towel. A few months later, at a party with med students here, someone mentioned that they had almost gone to Yale, but were right on the cut-off ("#2 or 3 on the list). Wow, I said! So was I! It turned out that three of us, among a party of about 20, were on the top of the list. So, either the only three ppl on that list all happened to go to the same school and meet at the same party (unlikely), or the top 2-3 of list consisted of, perhaps, dozens of students. It's possible that this is a common practice and Yale just got figured out last year because very few of their original acceptee's went elsewhere. But, we'll never know

Anyway, whatever happens this year, treat whatever they tell you with skepticism. Waiting sucks. Waiting and being strung along (falsely) sucks more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, LetMeIn33, that's awful; glad it all worked out for the best for you in the end. Thanks for sharing so that we can be realistic about this. I hope this is why they're trying to do things differently this year. Here's hoping for a transparent and honest process.

Anyone have any information as to when we can expect to hear more news from them? Was anyone on the waiting list invited to second look?

i had the opposite experience; silverman was very clear about my position on the waitlist, and i was eventually admitted right around the time he suggested i might be. sorry you had a bad experience, but i don't think that is typical of yale admissions.

furthermore, let's think about who they are dealing with... a bunch of insane pre-meds who are playing one school off the next to get into a "better" school and find a bigger financial aid package, all the while saying "oh yes you are my #1 school i would love to go there" but actually meaning "let me in so that i can use you to get into school X" - this happens all over the country, and if the admissions office has to put up with it from pre-meds then pre-meds will have to deal with the same treatment from the admissions office. i bet that every single person who gets in but later goes to a different school wrote on their essay that this school was their top choice and told that to all of their interviewers. it's an awful game; but you knew that when you signed up to play

(I read this information on another listserve two weeks ago, it was written from someone actually in the Yale office of admissions when we were all frieking out after decision letters were sent. I can't find the thread now).

Hello everyone,

This is Barbara Watts, Assistant Director of Admissions at Yale University School of Medicine. I've read through this thread and I wanted to set the record straight about the decision letters from Yale.

First, ALL decision letters were mailed on Friday, March 14. Accept, wait list and rejection letters to all applicants were sent at the same time. The letters were dated March 20, but we got a little ahead of schedule and mailed them early. In addition, accepted applicants received an email from Richard Silverman.

Second, unlike last year, we will not have a "High Priority" wait list. The wait list will be organized into three ranked groups, and applicants on the wait list will be informed of the process by which they can determine their status.

Finally, our re-visit activity, "Second Look Weekend" will be held Thursday and Friday, April 24 and 25. The event will begin on Thursday afternoon at 1:00 and end on Friday evening.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
Barbara Watts
Assistant Director of Admissions

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=498121&page=4

Did you guys receive any emails/mail indicating that they have received your response form?

I thought I would move Brock's post on the "yale decision date" thread to this waitlist-specific thread. I think the answer to the questions below are all "wait-and-see," but any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Information seems difficult to come by at this time. Can anyone from Yale, student or administration, inform us about what comes next for those of us that have been waitlisted?

When and how will we be informed of our rank?
How many people are placed in group 1, 2 and 3?
Is there any news on how this current application season is going?
Is it looking like this will be a good/bad year for the waitlisted?

I understand that information is scarce until the May 15 deadline passes but anything at all would be welcomed right now.

Information seems difficult to come by at this time. Can anyone from Yale, student or administration, inform us about what comes next for those of us that have been waitlisted?

When and how will we be informed of our rank?
How many people are placed in group 1, 2 and 3?
Is there any news on how this current application season is going?
Is it looking like this will be a good/bad year for the waitlisted?

I understand that information is scarce until the May 15 deadline passes but anything at all would be welcomed right now.

I believe one of the staff in the admissions office mentioned to me that, in late May, we would be instructed to call the office to receive our waitlist group. This is probably subject to change at this point.

Anyone have any new info? Do you think it's still to early to call for the waitlist tiering?

anyone out there with any info? just trying to keep this thread going.

only ten days left till the 15th. then, obviously, there will be a torrential downpour of acceptances off of this waitlist, especially since i've been hijacking all the 'yale vs. ___' threads and convincing students to pick the other school. ;)

anyone out there with any info? just trying to keep this thread going.

only ten days left till the 15th. then, obviously, there will be a torrential downpour of acceptances off of this waitlist, especially since i've been hijacking all the 'yale vs. ___' threads and convincing students to pick the other school. ;)

Haha great work OhMae, if you need any help with that plan just let me know. Yale is my first choice by far, so whatever it takes right . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I talked to someone in admissions yesterday who said we can call after May 15th for more information about the tiers etc... fingers crossed for that "torrential downpour of acceptances," OhMae!

this thread is getting no action. anyone with any news, updates, something to forget about the waiting?

booooring lol. i'm trying to keep my mind off of this while at work, but it's so hard! grr.

funny funny. i guess i was asking for that

Oh man, the Office last night was so intense! I was totally absorbed... what a good distraction. :laugh:

I just called YSM admissions and they said that Richard Silverman will be sending an email out in the next couple of days (early next week at the latest) to explain how the process will work this year for the waitlist. The woman I spoke to said they received "a lot" of withdrawls yesterday. Hard to know exactly what that means, but let's hope that's good news for us!

yeah for "a lot" of withdrawals! the waiting continues....

sillydoc, we took a bus together from the einstein interview, remember? my fingers are crossed that we're both classmates at yale next year!:luck:

Another reason to be hopeful is the fact that the Facebook group only has 27 members right now, 1 of which is Barbara Watts from the Admission Office, and 3 others are members of multiple other groups including Columbia, Hopkins, etc. Yeah I think my stalking expresses how much I want Yale :love:

yeah for "a lot" of withdrawals! the waiting continues....

sillydoc, we took a bus together from the einstein interview, remember? my fingers are crossed that we're both classmates at yale next year!:luck:

OMG! YEAH! of course i remember!! here's to good luck coming our way! hope this is a good waitlist year! :luck:

p.s. i love the anxious speculation about what "a lot" really means... it makes me feel better to know i'm not the only one.

An acceptance that quickly seems kind of suspect at Yale considering how they have explained the method by which their waitlist functions. Maybe we can just hope it was a unique situation.

Brock and NuRhoPsi, I've got to say I admire your stalking skills. Good work!
It is still too early to get down in the dumps. I've not seen too much movement at the top schools yet, aside from Cornell and some real early movement at Columbia.

Let's just hope we all have good tier positions. Waitlist Solidarity and Positive thinking!!!!!
I just don't want to be the Doko of this thread (those of you who have read last year's Hopkins waitlist thread know what I'm talking about).

Hopefully he turns Yale down for Harvard.

there are 2 people on sdn that posted in the yale class thread that they got in off the waitlist... maybe the same people... or not? i wish more than 4 of us would contribute to this thread!

in any case, let's stay positive and just think that this just means it's going to be a good year for the waitlist.

I am trying to stay positive but am bummed that the person I talked to yesterday told me that the list wasn't moving yet. Especially given the sad posts from last year, it makes me skeptical that we can really trust what we're told. As though there isn't enough anxiety in this process already... :(

i was trying to stay positive, but i am bummed as well.

I am also really hoping to get in off the waitlist. It is quite frustrating that the official line from the admissions office is different from what is actually happening - i.e. that at least 2 people have already been offered positions, despite the fact that they have been telling other waitlisters that information about our tiers is still yet to come. Well, I suppose it's still early, so here's hoping...

For those of you who have gotten off the waitlist, how did you hear - phone or email?

From reading last year's threads, it seems that several people did get in right after 5/15... those people were on the high priority waitlist. Tiers came out at the end of May and there was pretty slow waitlist movement from then till the end of Juen or so. I think they scratched the HP waitlist this year because not everyone got in off the list last year and people were really upset. So my guess is that there was actually an HP waitlist again, but no one was told if they were on it.. those HP people were the first to receive acceptances off the waitlist.

hi,

I'm a second year, and a similar thing happened two years ago. I got in off the waitlist while I was still waiting to hear what tier I was in. I don't think it's contradictory for the admissions office to say they'll tell people where they stand on the waitlist later in the process and take some people now. It's not like those people were told their place on the waitlist and you weren't. I know waiting stinking, good luck to all of you.

well i caved in to my anxiety and called the office. they told me expect an email by friday with call in hours to start next week. and veronica also told me that they have started to take from the waitlist (as we figured). when i pressed to see if she knew how good this year would be for us waitlisters, she said i don't know but in a very jolly i can't tell you kinda way. so who knows... i'm staying hopeful.

It's hard to say; I think everything is purely speculative at this point. When I was there for my interview, I met several students from the first and second tiers of the wait list and they assured me that there were many others. It's true that last year's SDNers didn't see much movement, but that was a pretty small sample. It's sad to hear about other people getting calls right now, but let's keep our fingers crossed a bit longer. It's still early in the wait list game. Good luck everyone!

i think last year was tight due to overacceptance initially. this year they were more conservative with initial acceptances. a lot of top schools are seeing early waitlist movement which i think is a good sign overall. there will be a lot of swapping acceptances so it might take a month or so before classes become pretty much set. at least i hope! i'm staying positive until i have solid proof that i shouldn't be!

How do you know they were more conservative with initial acceptances this year? That would be great!

through the grapevine from some MS1 friends at yale

It's been quiet -- any news? (I check this way too often...)

It's been quiet -- any news? (I check this way too often...)

you're not alone. i check this all the time. i check my phone all the time. i check my email all the time. i'm depressing myself with the thought of no news.