year off before dental school... what should i do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yesdds

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating college this spring and will be applying to dental school this summer. Any ideas for what to do next year?

Members don't see this ad.

if you think your stats need improving then yes take classes. During my year off I just worked to save up as much money as possible and applied w/ what I had numbers wise. Getting a job at a dental office is a good idea...it'll give you even more of an idea what the profession is all about AND help you make some cash on the side. But make sure you take time to enjoy yourself as well...I didn't and I so wish I would have taken a trip or something instead of working my a$$ off day in and day out. But oh well...you live you learn.

Thanks. Do you know what schools will let me take upper level science classes for the year?

Members don't see this ad :)
you can take upper level classes anywhere, just about. so long as you've completed the prereqs somewhere... you just need to apply as a non-matriculated student and be accepted. they'll either make you ask the professor permission to register, or just let you sign up w/o permission.

get a MS degree or become a high school science teacher.

jb!:)

do research in an area that interests you on top of taking a class or two

How about working at a dental lab?? That is what I am planning.

You can't be travelling and applying to dental school at the same time though... being out of the country and having interviews is no good.

do the travel thing during the two summer after college and before dent school, spend the fall,winter,spring working or going to school. that's what im planning

Do a 1 yr non-thesis biology masters program. It is hard to get work in a dental lab. Unless you know someone, they're likely not to hire you. They are running a business and want the people they train to be able to stay. If you want to get into dental school, a masters and more shadowing is the way to go.