Year-old unsealed letter...ask author for sealed resubmit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCDavispremed92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a strong, signed letter from a reputable person at a large healthcare related institution. Stupidly, when I asked for a letter of recommendation for my time interning under them in summer of 2016, I requested it as a signed letterhead pdf, and not as a sealed submission to a third party as is required for inclusion in primary application. The letter is dated as one year ago.

It would seem that I have to contact the letter writer, and ask them to upload the same letter to Interfolio as "sealed" letter, despite the fact that this is not exactly the case

- There is no way around this, correct?
- I may just say that "for me to upload it would be a violation of their terms of service" and steer clear of the sealed/unsealed element of it. Advisable?
- Is it problematic if the letter is dated spring 2017 and the submission dated spring 2018 such that I should request the letter's date be edited (would rather not)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If they ask you to do it just tell them that you can’t per the regulations.
I don’t see how the sealed/unsealed nature matters.
2 of my letter writers gave me a copy of their LORs. You may waive the right to see it, but that doesn’t mean I can’t give it to you.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, thanks. So, just a quick bit about how I can't upload it myself and Interfolio request then?

I'm finding I may have not sufficiently sweat the details as I was more concerned with scores/grades. In my only received letter, I did not specifically ask that it be on a letterhead and signed, though it likely it was. Is this worth addressing with letter writer?