Yeshiva MA mental health cnslng-->PsyD question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicu82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was informed via snail mail today that I was accepted into Yeshiva's Masters program in mental health counseling, however, I applied to the Clinical PsyD program. They stated that I would be able to transfer credits and interview for the PsyD program after the Masters.

Did anyone else receive this info/acceptance? I'm wondering if the 2 years for the Maters would count towards the PsyD or if it would be added. Any people at Yeshiva know about this option?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not at Yeshiva so I probably shouldn't comment on thhis because I won't give the most accurate information but I'd inquire with the PsyD program in regard to the following:

*Is this a GUARANTEE for an interview at the PsyD program Post-Master's. I mean, anyone can get a Master's and interciew for their PsyD - but are they guaranteeing it. Plus "transfer" credits is a bit vague. Does this mean ALL 48-60 (whichever the program is) credits transfer into the PsyD?

The reason why I ask is because it's pretty rare for Clinical Psychology programs to take 60 whole credits, usually it's 30 max. And secondly, most Clinical programs take little-to-no Master's in Counseling credits...maybe 6-9.

Jon

I also got that letter in the mail, however, I received this email two weeks ago and I can't quite figure out if it means I'm on a waiting list for the PsyD program:

"At the present moment you are still under consideration for a doctoral program at the Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology. This status is still effective and pending. The Committee on Admissions has authorized me to inform you that you have also at this time been accepted for admission to a course of study leading to a Master of Arts Degree in Mental Health Counseling for the semester commencing September, 2009. Should an opening occur and should you be accepted to a doctoral program, that acceptance will, of course, take precedence over acceptance to a Master.s program in psychology. Furthermore, we wish to make it clear that your acceptance of admission to the M.A. program at this stage in no way affects your status on the alternate list or the likelihood that you will be offered admission to a doctoral program between now and the beginning of the school year."

Anyone know what this means as I never had an interview either...

Members don't see this ad :)
pretty much in the same boat. interesting option here....not sure i'd want to go this route necessarily

I also got this email. I called and asked Yeshiva if that means I'm on the alternate list and they said no. But some people have said that it does. So now I don't know what it means :confused: . But I've also got a masters program acceptance from Columbia for psychological counseling so if things don't pan out with my top choice PhD program, I'm probably going to be going there.