You are MORE than a DAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

henleychristoph

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read several posts concerning DAT score inflation and people freaking out about some of the insane scores people have on the DAT.

EVERONE HAS TO REMEMBER. You are a package! Surely, to get into dental school you need to have respectable grades and a decent DAT score but....

I know people who have a 3.5 and 20’s that have not gotten into dental school; conversely I have known people with 3.0 and 19's that have. So you ask... WTF!?

It is simple... What else have you done? You have a 3.5 and a 20 but you have never done research or volunteered. Maybe you were in 10 clubs, but only as a member.... ( P.S. Being a member of a club means absolutely DOG S!@*. ). For it to count you need to have been a secretary, VP, Pres, ECT.

How are your people skills? Being a dentist has EVERTHING to do with people!
If you interviewed and you are an A$$ but you have great grades they will send you your walking papers.

How is your essay? Is it STUPID? IE "I want to be a dentist because I like to help people." Nights of Columbus that is INSANE! Think about it... If you were on an admission board and had to read one more piece of crap like that you would be on the verge of suicide. Read the interview forum. The most common question has to be “Why do you want to be a dentist, BE SPECIFIC.” Make you essay interesting, find English major and make that thing ROCK.

I know everyone gets freaked out, but there is more to you than your GPA and DAT. I have read that some schools weigh 60% GPA/DAT and 40% Extracurricular. That’s right 40%!!!! (That was either Louisville or Kentucky check the websites)

Take it easy everyone…. It’s all good!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for very nice information. Even though I am not sure if it's true that they count 40% extracurii.. but hm...I don't know if having a part time job counts...i seriously don't got a time to valunteer becuz I already spend too much time on studying, i don't even have time for my social life... :(

If they ask me why i want to be a dentist, I have the reason that Nobody has, which i think will put me 100% Score on the interview :D

If i valunteer, how do they know if i did valunteered? When i was in high school, i valunteered at the library, and wrote it on my resume, but they never checked it, so does that mean i can fake the info too ?

joonkimdds said:
Thanks for very nice information. Even though I am not sure if it's true that they count 40% extracurii.. but hm...I don't know if having a part time job counts...i seriously don't got a time to valunteer becuz I already spend too much time on studying, i don't even have time for my social life... :(

If they ask me why i want to be a dentist, I have the reason that Nobody has, which i think will put me 100% Score on the interview :D

If i valunteer, how do they know if i did valunteered? When i was in high school, i valunteered at the library, and wrote it on my resume, but they never checked it, so does that mean i can fake the info too ?

Please don't consider this rude...

However I might consider working on your writing… If you are international student …. I know plenty of them that work very hard at speaking and writing well in English.
Perfect practice... remember?

As for volunteering, unless your class load is 18+ hours you have to find time. Consider dental school and the course loads there… Often 20+ what will you do then?

I understand you work so… You can substitute volunteering for research… more often than not you can do that for credit… Killing two birds for one stone.

As for lying… You can do whatever you want, however… Integrity is perhaps the most important virtue anyone has. Hence, honesty is always the best policy. It is important that you are honest on your application, to your friends and family and, more importantly (in the future) to your patients.

PS read this link (40% reference)
http://www.dental.louisville.edu/future_students/dmd_criteria.htm

Good Luck!