You can do this - advice from a surprised yet successful applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steadyeddy22

Reaction score
Idk if this is allowed but I just wanted to share something:

I know application time is already upon us so if you're like I was, you're probably scouring SDN looking for advice, how people with similar stats did, and vibes about schools/the application process. You're also probably pretty nervous. I don't claim to be an expert by any means (all I've done so far is get accepted and even that I still have to convince myself wasn't a fluke), but I just wanted to say that you can do this. Even if your GPA isn't the best, or you think you don't have enough veterinary hours, or you have no research experience, or it seems like everyone is wayyyy more qualified than you.

Today I found out I received a merit scholarship to my vet school, something I never thought would happen. I had an advisor who didn't think I would get in and who didn't have the courtesy to tell me to my face (instead he just flat out didn't advise me. on anything. literally.). I didn't have 1000+ hours of vet experience, I didn't have ANY research experience, I had a below average science GPA, and I wasn't even a STEM major. But I got in, and what's more they value me enough to offer me a scholarship.

You CAN do this. Believe in the value and validity of YOUR experiences, even if they don't match anyone else's. Know why you want to go into this field, and don't stop trying until you do get in. This is the post I wish I had seen when I first googled "VMCAS advice". I wish I had listened to the people around me who encouraged me and always knew I could do it, instead of listening to the one person who thought I couldn't.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
heck yeah baby. I got into a funded dual degree program with a 3.1 after applying 3 times. big congratulations and best of luck!!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Ah the warm fuzzies of success stories :biglove: I'll go ahead and throw mine in for funsies.

In my first 2 years applying (only did one school the first year so I'll lump them together) I applied to a total of 5 schools, interviewed 3 times (2 of the schools didn't do interviews) and was either waitlisted or straight up told "no thanks." It did some damage, I almost didn't apply again but my mom reminded me that from the beginning I had said I would give myself 3 years to try to get in, so I powered through.

Third year applying - applied to 6 schools, interviewed at 4 (same 2 still didn't do interviews), got 4 offers. It felt SOOOOO good to have the tables turned and to get to tell them no! I'm now a rising third year and am so glad that I kept pushing through even when I felt so defeated. Yes there are still days that I struggle, but I'm here and I know this is what I'm meant to do.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah the warm fuzzies of success stories :biglove: I'll go ahead and throw mine in for funsies.

In my first 2 years applying (only did one school the first year so I'll lump them together) I applied to a total of 5 schools, interviewed 3 times (2 of the schools didn't do interviews) and was either waitlisted or straight up told "no thanks." It did some damage, I almost didn't apply again but my mom reminded me that from the beginning I had said I would give myself 3 years to try to get in, so I powered through.

Third year applying - applied to 6 schools, interviewed at 4 (same 2 still didn't do interviews), got 4 offers. It felt SOOOOO good to have the tables turned and to get to tell them no! I'm now a rising third year and am so glad that I kept pushing through even when I felt so defeated. Yes there are still days that I struggle, but I'm here and I know this is what I'm meant to do.
What do you think changed between your second and third time applying that made you successful? Congrats on getting in :)

What do you think changed between your second and third time applying that made you successful? Congrats on getting in :)
Thank you! As far as my application goes, absolutely nothing changed. I had a lot of personal growth during that time and started feeling a lot more confident in myself/what I wanted my future to look like. I think another thing that factored in was that my interviews were staggered out and I actually already had one offer before my last 2 interviews, so that took a lot of stress off and let me focus more on being myself rather than trying to figure out what the committee wanted to hear.

Reactions: 1 users