You know you're in med school when....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im just a premed, but I read through this entire thread and thought:

"Oh god, why am I doing this?"

Members don't see this ad.

when you give serious consideration to using amphetamines to study all night long for an exam the next day

Members don't see this ad :)
Im just a premed, but I read through this entire thread and thought:

"Oh god, why am I doing this?"
haha... you don't worry it'll all be over real quick and then it will be worth it ...maybe

I wouldn't call 7-11 years real quick.

Me neither. However, this past year has gone faster than any other year in my life.

You know you're in med school when... your greatest de-stressing technique is to tell yourself you'd make an excellent pediatrician (FP, IM, OB/Gyn, Psychiatrist.. ie anything that even the bottom student could get into)

I wouldn't call 7-11 years real quick.

When I woke up yesterday, I was a firefighter still in undergrad.

I'll finish residency in two months after both my MD and MPH. Yes, it does go that quick! Looking back, it was really, unbelievably quick. That said, medical school was the most fun I never want to have again!

- H

You know you're in med school when you say phrases like "I'm still in the hospital right now," or "I have a Whipple coming up," and it doesn't mean that anything's wrong with your health.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :laugh:

You know you're in med school when you say phrases like "I'm still in the hospital right now," or "I have a Whipple coming up," and it doesn't mean that anything's wrong with your health.

And you know you are a Mom of a medical student when they call you and say "Hi Mom, I'm in the hospital," and you don't even flinch.

Me neither. However, this past year has gone faster than any other year in my life.

You know you're in med school when... your greatest de-stressing technique is to tell yourself you'd make an excellent pediatrician (FP, IM, OB/Gyn, Psychiatrist.. ie anything that even the bottom student could get into)

My post test battle cry: p = pediatrician ;)

I don't know if someone mentioned this one, but while I'm not a med student thought this one should be added to the list......

You know you are in med school when you know that a SHELF is not a place to store books and junk but an exam made by the NBME to prepare you for your licensing exams.

...when you can comfortably ask a total stranger:

"did you poop last night?"

"Have you been passing gas?"

"what color was your stool?"

"does it hurt when you pee?"

"are you wearing a diaphragm?"

Members don't see this ad :)
...when you can comfortably ask a total stranger:

"did you poop last night?"

"Have you been passing gas?"

"what color was your stool?"

"does it hurt when you pee?"

"are you wearing a diaphragm?"

"are you sexually active?"

"do you use some form of protection"

"do you smoke"

"do you drink"

"do you use recreational drugs"

I could go on and on. My first few patient histories were sort of uncomfortable for me... but I'm sure thats pretty normal. It takes a little while to get over the socially constructed perameters concerning personal space and what is appropriate to talk about in a social setting.

That's your introdution to medicine.

... You go pee 7 times during the afternoon you spent reading the chapters of physiology book about glomerular filtrate.

... You feel 'flirty' after studying surface anatomy.

... You feel like eating french fries after reading about Liver lipogenesis.

... You use names of authors to justify your point of view in class discussion.

(this one's only for Problem Based Learning students): In your objectives stablishment phase, during a tutorial session, You say: "To study chapters 27, 28 and 29 of Guyton's" - That actually hapenned to a classmate of mine.

... You read things like: Patient eutrophic, PA115X78mmHg, Hepatimetry:15cm, Intestinal tympany, etc and you know, regardless of their bad sounds, at first they don't mean any health problem.

"are you sexually active?"

"do you use some form of protection"

"do you smoke"

"do you drink"

"do you use recreational drugs"

I could go on and on. My first few patient histories were sort of uncomfortable for me... but I'm sure thats pretty normal. It takes a little while to get over the socially constructed perameters concerning personal space and what is appropriate to talk about in a social setting.

we have standardized patients, and i got a little old lady who was quiet, sweet, ie stereotypical grandma with breathing difficulty. so i asked about drug usage, and she says...word for word

"i smoke crack. last time i smoked crack was last night, and again this morning. i have to get some more for later this week".

i burst out laughing.

when you give serious consideration to using amphetamines to study all night long for an exam the next day

Oh man. At my school that goes on at the undergrad level all the time. I guess this article will give away my institution of "higher" learning, but oh well.

http://www.dailynexus.com/article.php?a=13722

My favorite line- "Yes, there is a law that makes taking drugs without a prescription illegal, but this means that so-called “cheaters” are actually just criminals."

:confused:

When you are sitting on the beach, and you start looking at people.....not to check them out...but to play, "Name that surgery" by looking at thier abdominal scars!!

when you find no problem saying things like "ooh ooh ooh to touch and feel virgin girls' vaginas and hymens" (or gives Verne a hard-on, etc.)

Of course you know that you've been in medical school for more than a semester when you can remember a time when you actually had to use this mnemonic.

When you are sitting on the beach, and you start looking at people.....not to check them out...but to play, "Name that surgery" by looking at thier abdominal scars!!

Lap Chole! Open Appy! Bowel Resection! (three I saw TODAY in the freaking SUPERMARKET, which is across the street from the beach)

You know you're in med school when you really find you what S&M means because you do lots of it.

S = Study
M = Memorize

in class last week for cancer mets a mnemonic was given PBKTL. prostate breast kidney thyroid lung.

what the friggin hell. PBKTL is random letters put together, not a damn mnemonic.

i guess only in med school are random letters mnemonics.

in class last week for cancer mets a mnemonic was given PBKTL. prostate breast kidney thyroid lung.

what the friggin hell. PBKTL is random letters put together, not a damn mnemonic.

You know you're in med school when you get offended that someone doesn't consider the famous "Lead Kettle" a mnemonic.

when you equate coffee with a 3hr sleep supplement
Just put away a pot of coffee in lieu of sleep to cram for yet another exciting MS1 exam!

F*ck sleep, carpe diem...:sleep: :sleep:

When you feel a pain in your side and remember that you're in your mid-20s, you automatically fear renal calculi formation and start chugging water.

I went to school today and realized that they had installed a new student recreation area since the last time I was there...2 months ago.

You know you're in med school when you get offended that someone doesn't consider the famous "Lead Kettle" a mnemonic.

oh dear god. THAT'S what that is? all this time i've been going "peanut butter kitty litter"

oh dear god. THAT'S what that is? all this time i've been going "peanut butter kitty litter"

Heh...glad to be of (little to no) help. That lecturer really dropped the ball on not explaining that one.

What is it with lecturers not really understanding what memory devices are? We had our pharm course director lecturing the other day and he was describing the bugs that fosfomycin acts on for UTIs. He said "I always remember it by the fact that "E" (for enterococcus and E. coli) is next to "F" in the alphabet. I was thankful for that until I realized there's probably another 52 drugs in our master list that start with F. Yeah, thanks.

You go back and correct your "pre-coffee" mistakes because it takes 10 times as long and comes out 1/2 as good if you do anything before the first pot.

I am pretty shocked at how fast spring semester of M1 has gone. Fall went on for a while, but this whole semester has lasted about as long as Block 2 of fall semester.

I went to school today and realized that they had installed a new student recreation area since the last time I was there...2 months ago.
:laugh: you didn't know we had that? you could see it from where you were sitting before the last phys exam.

anyways, you also know you're in med school when you start breathing funny as you're reading the respiratory phys lectures. :p

anyways, you also know you're in med school when you start breathing funny as you're reading the respiratory phys lectures. :p

Or if you breath funny while listening to audio CDs of abnormal heart and lung sounds.

You know you're in med school if your life's ambition is to have a disease named after you.

"I don't care if they call it the Jones Giant Pus-Ball, I want to be in Stedman's!!"

Or if you breath funny while listening to audio CDs of abnormal heart and lung sounds.

You know you're in med school if your life's ambition is to have a disease named after you.

"I don't care if they call it the Jones Giant Pus-Ball, I want to be in Stedman's!!"

See now, I hate that crap. It's all of those eponyms that are clogging my brain as I start my board prep. Couldn't they just simplify things by naming all those crazy enzymatic diseases...oh, I dunno...after the enzyme that they are deficient in?! :mad:

Don't even get me started on generic vs. trade names in drugs. I hate medicine.

You know you're in med school when you hear the word "cleavage" and you think about proteins and enzymes.

You know you're in med school when you hear the word "cleavage" and you think about proteins and enzymes.

When I read the word cleavage I think boobs. Hell, when I see or hear the word Cleveland I think boobs.

nope, sorry. I'm just about done with first year, and the first thing that came to my mind was breasteses.

on that note...

you know youre in medical school when you know what breasts without nipples look like.

thank you plastics

BLT-KP

Bacon Lettuce Tomato with a Kosher Pickle

...came across it in a blog somewhere earlier this week

(cause I missed the updates to this thread)

you attribute a stranger's stumble to a cerebellar lesion....
and your classmates laugh understandingly.

Obviousely you have no experience with military-industrial complex. So bad, they have to come out with guides for approved mneumonics. Every know and again one of the abbreviations will mean something completely different to me than 98% of our class. must - reprogram - now!!

6)You buy one brand/style of pens/pencils to write notes with. Only that one.

6b)You will DRIVE CLEAR ACROSS TOWN to the other store that sells them if you're out, and then--

6c)You'll feel guilty for having wasted the time doing so, but--

6d)You got the right kind, so the hell with it!

I did this- but I had to special-order the "right" hi-lighter set, because I'm an out-of-state student, and "my" brand is not stocked here... I ordered 3 sets (just finished first year), and am now thinking-- should I go down and order more?

Also, 6e) anatomy color runs out, but you HAVE TO replace the whole set, because it's worthless without *all* the colors!

BTW, I have gotten to page 3 of this thread, and my dogs are concerned for me... I am crying from laughing so hard! Y'all have made my day, Thanks!
:love:

you understand exactly what that sinking nearly passing out feeling followed by a large thud in your chest and a resolute rushing of blood to the head feeling feeling is :D

and you know its bc of the Ephedra, but you are, after all, in medschool...

(back before the ban)

You know you're a med student when you say something like "maybe we should test his cerebellar function" at a party and then watch the hot girl you were talking to walk away from you. :oops:

You know you're in med school when you are excited to get Netter's for your birthday.

You ask for a half dose of French fries in the cafeteria.