You know you're in med school when....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This one is for the girls:

When someone sees you out in public studying somewhere...
and they ask if you are going to be a nurse...

...and you seriously think about decking them :smuggrin:

aawww this drives me nuttty, especially when its the "I'm in medical school" "ohh, thats so great, this country needs more nurses" type of interaction :mad:
I even had some cashier dude at the barnes and noble try to sell me their discount card when I was buying a rohens with the sales pitch "you'll save soo much on your nursing textbooks." :wow:

Members don't see this ad.

The 2 weeks preceding every exam are defined by an increasingly messy apartment, an escalating sense of panic that you will NEVER learn it all in time, and entire weekends spent at the local Starbucks, where the baristas all know your name.

You've ever gotten up in the morning and thought, "what's the point of showering or putting on nice clothes? I'm just going to smell like cadaver again in an hour anyway."

You spend more money on coffee than food.

You routinely discuss anatomy dissection over meals, and even compare the texture of your food to different tissues.

You've ever heard a classmate say, "Girls with power tools are hot" after watching someone bisect a cadaver's head.

You grope yourself in public while muttering, all in an attempt to learn anatomy. Bonus points if you wave your limbs around to think through muscle movements.

You know how to get a free lunch every day of the week.

You don't see what's odd about naming a dead woman, talking to her while you hack her to bits, and working her name into daily conversation as though she were an actual living acquaintance.

Your normal friends and family don't like talking to you anymore because everything you say is "gross."

nice

aawww this drives me nuttty, especially when its the "I'm in medical school" "ohh, thats so great, this country needs more nurses" type of interaction :mad:
I even had some cashier dude at the barnes and noble try to sell me their discount card when I was buying a rohens with the sales pitch "you'll save soo much on your nursing textbooks." :wow:

When my mother told her friends that her daughter got into med school, they all said, "How wonderful! What a great opportunity to find a doctor to marry!" :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
When my mother told her friends that her daughter got into med school, they all said, "How wonderful! What a great opportunity to find a doctor to marry!" :mad:

That is because we live in a society where men still dominate even with today's equality and most of our parents are old school folk.

What's even more sad is that I know a couple of girls (one is a dentist and the other an optometrist) and both are having a hard time finding someone cuz a lot of the guys want girls who will be willing to be a stay at home kind of person.

You know you're in med school when you ask your date to meet you infront of the library.

I really want to throw a "doctors and nurses" theme party, just so my female classmates have to dress up as nurses. :laugh:

OK.. I finally have a contribution. I just got a speeding ticket - and instead of being pissed about the ticket, my FIRST thought was "When am I ever going to find 4 hours to go to traffic school to get this off my record? Maybe I can just let it stay on my record and pay the increased insurance premiums"

Just do one of those online courses and that way you don't have to sit 4 hours at a time. Hell you can look at powerpoint slides and notes while waiting for the time to pass while doing those.

I really want to throw a "doctors and nurses" theme party, just so my female classmates have to dress up as nurses. :laugh:

Ok and the gals will be the docs and the guys will be male nurses.:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Since my friend who's an MS I won't post this, I'm posting this one for him....

"you know you are in med school when you are watching the cricket world cup and realize the Pakistani Coach has been murdered via strangulation and not hung himself and committed suicide even before the news reports its murder, all because your classes in med school thought you the difference in the fractures of a strangulation and suicide."

This one is for the girls:

When someone sees you out in public studying somewhere...
and they ask if you are going to be a nurse...

...and you seriously think about decking them :smuggrin:

So freakin true. A similar encounter happened to one of my friends in a bar. She was talking to some dude, and she told him she goes to [enter general university name here]. His first reaction was, "Oh, you're going to be a nurse?" She brushed this one off. "No, I'm a med student." He follows with, "Ohhhhh okay, so you want to be a pediatrician?"

WTF? Just cause she's a woman? :confused: Stupid boy! :mad:

I'm sorry to break up the train but... is this gross? I've been doing this since I was 6 and my mom taught me to... my roommate once suggested it was strange but I ignored her... was she right?

Hey I do this too!

1) saves time

2) don't have to worry about getting messy

3) it's tingly, when toothpaste lands on skin :

So freakin true. A similar encounter happened to one of my friends in a bar. She was talking to some dude, and she told him she goes to [enter general university name here]. His first reaction was, "Oh, you're going to be a nurse?" She brushed this one off. "No, I'm a med student." He follows with, "Ohhhhh okay, so you want to be a pediatrician?"

WTF? Just cause she's a woman? :confused: Stupid boy! :mad:

You know you are in medical school when you realize on the first day of orientation that your fellow classmates are the "last people on earth" that you would want to marry.

You know you are in medical school when you wake up on the last PowerPoint slide of every lecture.

You know you are in medical school when you can't get a seat in the lecture hall during the "Sexual Deviant Disorders" lecture because the undergraduates have gotten there before you.

You know you are in medical school when you realize on the first day of orientation that your fellow classmates are the "last people on earth" that you would want to marry.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: And then by graduation day, if you haven't already married one, you realize no-one else will understand you as well as your classmates and colleagues and your pool of potential spouses becomes that much smaller.

Members don't see this ad :)

:laugh: This actually made me laugh out loud.

...when you practice your one handed square knot on the garbage bag handles (it's almost like a Prolene), just for that little bit of extra practice

You know you're in med school when you think nothing of the noise from a helicopter.

.... when there's somebody in your class that makes suicidal comments on a daily basis, and nobody thinks anything of it.

.... when there's somebody in your class that makes suicidal comments on a daily basis, and nobody thinks anything of it.

like what?

I was at a concert last weekend and all I could think of was medically related things. One of the main singers was wearing a shirt with a partial skeleton and I was going through all of the bones in my head. It was extremely loud and nearly the whole time I was thinking about how the noise was affecting my ears and how cool the affect the sound waves of the base was to my body.

if you've ever looked at your own stool and thought you saw a central sulcus and maybe even an angular gyrus

3rd year: Go to noon conference, grab pens, grab food, sit/eat, listen, ask questions.

4th year: Go to noon conference, grab pens, grab food, sit/eat, leave.

when you refuse to call your optometrist "doctor"

when you purposely go through the drugs in CVS and see how many generics you can identify

when you wake up dreaming you accidentally pushed thrombolytics five hours after admission instead of three and are now about to get sued by the family

its friday night, and your drinkin a beer with a book in one hand

You watch scrubs because it gives you hope about how much fun you can have.

You watch Grey's Anatomy to give you hope you can work that hard, that long, and get laid that much.

You watch House because secretly, it would be so much fun to be that big an a##.

You watch Battlestar causes it's that cool, and has nothing to do with medicine, and when it does, you can't critique cause they're in the future.

Your favorite bartender addresses you as "Doc", even though you keep telling him you're just a student.

The hot girl at the bar says, "Oh! You're a doctor!" and you don't correct her.

When you're in the last block of your first year, and you figure out the minimum number of questions to keep your grade or pass the class. Then you figure out what you need to bring it up, sigh, and realize that 22 out of 75 is a lot more realistic than 64 out of 75. Then you realize you still need to study to get 22 questions right.

When you're in the last block of your first year, and you figure out the minimum number of questions to keep your grade or pass the class. Then you figure out what you need to bring it up, sigh, and realize that 22 out of 75 is a lot more realistic than 64 out of 75. Then you realize you still need to study to get 22 questions right.

I think this is just as common in undergrad as in med school.

I think this is just as common in undergrad as in med school.

yeah, except they don't get into med school

i got better grades in undergrad cramming for 36hrs than studying 2 full weeks in medical school. that's depressing

yeah, except they don't get into med school

i got better grades in undergrad cramming for 36hrs than studying 2 full weeks in medical school. that's depressing

Seriously, all I did before a test in undergrad was make flash cards while watching TV, then I crammed them the night before an exam and rocked out crazy grades like 98s+, now I study continuously for 3+ weeks before an exam in a classical music bubble and I'm euphoric about a B.

When you see the residue of shaving cream on the clear cap for the can your significant other uses and think wow...that looks so much like a lung with emphysema!

In addition to the beverage, however, sangría is one of the Spanish words for bleeding, so it isn't so absurd as it probably seems.

I dont know what country you are from but that is totally absurd. just as it sounds. It wouldn't sound as aburd if the whole phrase was "tienes sangria en su vagina, porque quiero un poquito.

if you've ever looked at your own stool and thought you saw a central sulcus and maybe even an angular gyrus

Usually mine has a medulla and a pons too. I try to cut back on certain types of vegetables in my diet to eliminate cranial nerves.

You watch scrubs because it gives you hope about how much fun you can have.

You watch Grey's Anatomy to give you hope you can work that hard, that long, and get laid that much.

You watch House because secretly, it would be so much fun to be that big an a##.

You watch Battlestar causes it's that cool, and has nothing to do with medicine, and when it does, you can't critique cause they're in the future.

This is *so* me.. and I'm not a med student anymore!

"tienes sangria en su vagina, porque quiero un poquito.

wow :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I don't think you would want to say that to a patient (or anybody else)

You know you're in med school when you think nothing of the noise from a helicopter.

I actually look up, if it is a pt transport I get tachy and then jealous that I'm not in the ED right then.

You realized you should've gone to dental school, even though you hate everything about teeth.

You realized you should've gone to dental school, even though you hate everything about teeth.

haha, i chuckled at that one.

how bout you know teeth better than the dental school kids, the feet better than podiatrists, the eyes better than optometrists, the back better than chiropracters...

....you self-diagnose yourself with 40+ disease, syndromes, and/or episodes over the past year.

I actually look up, if it is a pt transport I get tachy and then jealous that I'm not in the ED right then.

I was going to go and hang in the ED one day, and then decided to get some studing done instead, anyway that night on the evening news they showed that some people got crushed by a house (they were doing foundation work and it fell) and went to my school's ED and my first thought was how much I wished I had gone in that day, soo twisted.

:laugh:

dude, that is so true. What's worse is that we just give advice on how to do it better.

haha, i chuckled at that one.

how bout you know teeth better than the dental school kids, the feet better than podiatrists, the eyes better than optometrists, the back better than chiropracters...

I would have disagree with the chiropratic part... They have way more training in spinal manipulation involving the and spinal health than the average Joe-Doc...Or else, no-one would need them...

I would have disagree with the chiropratic part... They have way more training in spinal manipulation involving the and spinal health than the average Joe-Doc...Or else, no-one would need them...

not sure if it's a joke or not. but ortho or neuro-spine surgeon vs. a chiropracter? maybe i'm biased because at one point i was really into spine-surgery and learned a lot about it

btw, regarding chiropracters, there have been studies done on them. and they conclude you should NOT let chiropracters touch your neck. despite what they claim, such manipulation significantly increases your risk for a vertebral artery dissection.

lower back is okay, and stats show they actually might help. but c-spine and neck, not worth the risk

not sure if it's a joke or not. but ortho or neuro-spine surgeon vs. a chiropracter? maybe i'm biased because at one point i was really into spine-surgery and learned a lot about it

btw, regarding chiropracters, there have been studies done on them. and they conclude you should NOT let chiropracters touch your neck. despite what they claim, such manipulation significantly increases your risk for a vertebral artery dissection.

lower back is okay, and stats show they actually might help. but c-spine and neck, not worth the risk

great info!! :thumbup:

huh, well when i was like 15 I had some spasm in my neck where my head was stuck to my left shoulder after waking up. It wasn't torticulitis but it hurt like a biatch to where I couldn't move my neck. (never found out what it was exactly) Well, my mom took me to the chiropractor and it took 1 minute to relieve it.
I think it depends on the situation. Where can I find this article? I would like to know.
Now thinking about it I wish I knew what that was I had. Can anybody take a guess?

Later, you realize the irony when your neuro grade is in the same place as that stool was. *flush

I was saying they know more about spinal manipulation than the average Joe-Doc (like family practice)... Of course spinal surgeons are going to know a junk ton. In terms of vertebral artery dissection I think it is like 1 and 20 million are at risk, with 99.5 percent of these being older females with osteoperosis or athersclerosis... If you had a minor disk problem where a good crack could fix it or surgery, which would you pick? I would go with a good crack back into place than having my neck cut open and dissected...Ok, back on topic peoples...

I was saying they know more about spinal manipulation than the average Joe-Doc (like family practice)... Of course spinal surgeons are going to know a junk ton. In terms of vertebral artery dissection I think it is like 1 and 20 million are at risk, with 99.5 percent of these being older females with osteoperosis or athersclerosis... If you had a minor disk problem where a good crack could fix it or surgery, which would you pick? I would go with a good crack back into place than having my neck cut open and dissected...

And a good chiro won't use forceful manipulation on someone who is at increased risk for complications. Of course, just like mds, not all chiros are good and take all precautions.

I currently have a friend who, on the advice on my uncle (chiro) got a second opinion 2 days before undergoing surgery for lumbar disk problem. He is now in chiro care, doing much better, and didn't have the surgery.

spine surgery is becoming more and more elective; in fact, i'm noticing many similarities between plastics pp and spine surgery pp.
i haven't looked at the success rates between chiropractry (is that a word) and spine surgery.

nevertheless, after anatomy lab, and viewing several surgeries, one can notice certain things.
first, the vertebral artery dissection makes sense.
second, the spine is really freakin solid+strong
three, brute manipulation by men in anatomy lab still had difficulty contorting the spine
four, just look at a spine surgery

putting it all together, and i'm a larger-than-average guy, i would not be able to permanently contort the spine unless i used all my strength, which no doctor does in treating patients. i don't know chiropractic philosophy, but at this level having learned the spine, dissected the spine, played with the spine, and watch/helped with surgery of the spine, it becomes painfully obvious what one can and cannot do without intervention

as to the rates of vertebral artery dissection, yes it's low, but no one has actually looked at the methodology of the studies. currently, there are a hundred-plus case reports, but when someone comes in with a vertebral artery dissection resulting in rapid quadriplegia and respiratory arrest, the first question we ask is not "did you let a chiropracter manipulate your cervical-spine?"

even if we did a thorough study, the rates will no doubt be low. but let me put it this way. the risks, from what i've seen online, which vary greatly, roughly correlate to the risk of bilateral lasik eye surgery going terribly wrong. so, if you're the type of person who wouldn't get lasik because your eyes are too valuable, and there are many of us out there who get these jitters, would you really be willing to risk a vertebral artery dissection?

way to ruin a thread!

way to ruin a thread!

my apologies! i'll try to bring it back...
you know your in med school....

when you talk to your SDN virtual friends more than your ol' college buddies