Your grade in Orgo 1 + Orgo 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForumHangout

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
These classes are way behind you now... but do you mind telling what your grades were? + Do you find your experience in med school tougher or easier? thx!

Members don't see this ad.

These classes are way behind you now... but do you mind telling what your grades were? + Do you find your experience in med school tougher or easier? thx!

I got B's but felt I learned the concepts really well. I think it paid off for the MCAT, and can't really say if it's helped in Medical School much.

You won't have to worry about a reaction mechanism or anything like that in med-school.

If anything I find myself getting annoyed in biochem when we aren't given the chemical structure. For some-reason I think I became reliant on that in O-chem.

Not to derail this thread but...I am currently not caring about my orgo 2 class right now, prolly end up with a C/C+. Its not very hard, I just dont have the focus to memorize all these stupid reactions. I got a B- in orgo 1, which i actually enjoyed and had an A-, until the reaction crap started. Anyways, would this be easily explainable to an adcom? Or will I just look like a lazy bum?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I took 3 because of quarters. C,A,A were my grades in the 3, in that order. I had a great teacher for the 2nd class and then an "easy" professor for the last one. I took o-chem 1 while taking gen chem 1, so maybe I was still learning the whole "chemistry" thing at first.

To me med school (first 2 years) was about the same as undergrad in "difficulty". Very different though. I worked 30 hours a week in undergrad and was a fulltime student in med school, so I had about the same amount of free time. In 3rd and beginning of 4th year I had much less free time than the 1st 2 years. Now I have pure freedom until July.

O-chem had very little to do with med school.

I did exceptionally well in organic chemistry, it was my best class in undergrad. But information from that class is nearly 100% useless in med school

Thank you soooo much for all the four responses so far =) they are useful to me!

An A and an A+ in orgo 1 and 2, respectfully. Medical school is not tough intellectually. You don't have to be smart to understand most of it. The hard part is the volume and new terminology. If you have a good memory and a hard work ethic you will do very well, even if you're mildly brain damaged.

Last edited:
A's for me. It was one of my stronger subjects. However as others have said, completely worthless in med school. And to the previous poster, those C's and B's will come back to haunt you when you apply for med school. It all gets lumped into your science GPA. Work hard in every science class and get that GPA as high as you can get it. Show the admission committee you can work hard and do well in every class.

a's for me. It was one of my stronger subjects. However as others have said, completely worthless in med school. And to the previous poster, those c's and b's will come back to haunt you when you apply for med school. It all gets lumped into your science gpa. Work hard in every science class and get that gpa as high as you can get it. Show the admission committee you can work hard and do well in every class.

+1

An A and an A+ in orgo 1 and 2, respectfully. Medical school is not tough intellectually. You don't have to be smart to understand most of it. The hard part is the volume and new terminology. If you have a good memory and a hard work ethic you will do very well, even if you're mildly brain damaged.

yup

A's for me. It was one of my stronger subjects. However as others have said, completely worthless in med school. And to the previous poster, those C's and B's will come back to haunt you when you apply for med school. It all gets lumped into your science GPA. Work hard in every science class and get that GPA as high as you can get it. Show the admission committee you can work hard and do well in every class.

A's for me as well and I totally agree with this. I think I've heard one thing from med school that reminded me or organic and it wasn't even testable. I will say that I think that class helped my problem solving skills quite a bit though. But that might have just been me.

Ochem 1 - B 89.91 was my final grade. Professor did not round up. FML.
Ochem 2 - A

This class is completely worthless for med school. Maybe once or twice I had to recall some arcane ochem principle in the context of DNA replication in the form of a uworld question. But really the question can be answered without knowing ochem. Learn biochem well.

I got a B in Org 1 and an A in Org 2. Other than problem solving, it hasn't been of much help in medical school

Members don't see this ad :)
C/D I wasn't premed yet and was a fool who didn't go to class and thought I could read the textbook the night before tests. Retook it later when I decided to do medicine and got an A/A.

Not to derail this thread but...I am currently not caring about my orgo 2 class right now, prolly end up with a C/C+. Its not very hard, I just dont have the focus to memorize all these stupid reactions. I got a B- in orgo 1, which i actually enjoyed and had an A-, until the reaction crap started. Anyways, would this be easily explainable to an adcom? Or will I just look like a lazy bum?

As a former o-chem instructor, this makes me sad. O-chem is really just about a set of rules and some electron-pushing.

What are you going to do in medical school when you come across a "stupid" topic that you have to memorize?

As a former o-chem instructor, this makes me sad. O-chem is really just about a set of rules and some electron-pushing.

What are you going to do in medical school when you come across a "stupid" topic that you have to memorize?

I believe the answer is the realization that what you learn will in med school be applicable. To know that everything you learn will 100% affect the lively hood of a person will motivate you to learn.

...As for Orgo well... I'm gonna learn it but I'm not going to be as qualified as say a PhD in Organic Chemistry to apply it ya'know? so it's HARD to fight this realization and still learn what the institution expect you to learn.

There's alot of thing to learn in both setting but to know that someone else with a PhD will use it rather than you is very discouraging.

Please tell me why I would ever need to know how to synthesize [insert name here] from [insert name here]. Yes, its really not difficult at all, but it takes a good amount of time and practice to get all of the reactions, reagents, structures, rules, and pushing, down. This is honestly the last thing I want to do after I come home at 5-6PM after being up since 6AM and out all day. Not to mention my other classes, work, and research stuff I have to do. Should I mention being depressed from not having seen my SO in 7 months? There is difference between being lazy as opposed to uninterested. If I was taking this class by itself then sure, I'd pull an A easy. But as you know, things get in the way, and I prefer to get a lower grade in orgo2 then classes I actually find interesting and relevant. That being said, I don't hate orgo; i actually enjoyed it for a bit...but, throwing 50 reactions at you to memorize really has no prescedence in my life right now. In the event I do find myself a free afternoon, as I did today, I decided to relieve some stress and go skating, enjoying the beautiful day because I guarantee tomorrow will be cold and crappy, thanks Obama. :D

P.S. i have an orgo exam tmrw and ive actually been studying so HAH!
:p

Last edited:
I believe the answer is the realization that what you learn will in med school be applicable. To know that everything you learn will 100% affect the lively hood of a person will motivate you to learn.

That's questionable, especially considering this is the osteopathic forum and there have been plenty of OMM threads on here.

If someone didn't do so hot, then own up to it like an adult and/or take the steps to do better if a grade remediation is necessary.

That said, the o-chem grade really doesn't matter once you get to medical school. The only difference is that I'm actually enjoying pharm while 99.99999% of my classmates hate it.

Please tell me why I would ever need to know how to synthesize [insert name here] from [insert name here]. Yes, its really not difficult at all, but it takes a good amount of time and practice to get all of the reactions, reagents, structures, rules, and pushing, down. This is honestly the last thing I want to do after I come home at 5-6PM after being up since 6AM and out all day. Not to mention my other classes, work, and research stuff I have to do. Should I mention being depressed from not having seen my SO in 7 months? There is difference between being lazy as opposed to uninterested. If I was taking this class by itself then sure, I'd pull an A easy. But as you know, things get in the way, and I prefer to get a lower grade in orgo2 then classes I actually find interesting and relevant. That being said, I don't hate orgo; i actually enjoyed it for a bit...but, throwing 50 reactions at you to memorize really has no prescedence in my life right now. In the event I do find myself a free afternoon, as I did today, I decided to relieve some stress and go skating, enjoying the beautiful day because I guarantee tomorrow will be cold and crappy, thanks Obama. :D

P.S. i have an orgo exam tmrw and ive actually been studying so HAH!
:p

A few things to think about that I have told some pre med students. First, your grades don't really reflect your intelligence, they reflect your work ethic. Your GPA, to a degree is the statement that you can consistently do well in any subject no matter how stupid or irrelevant. A low science GPA puts that into question.

Ochem may be the first bit of totally irrelevant information you memorize simply to 'play the game' but it will most definitely not be the last. It sucks but we all do it. Try to organize your time as efficiently as possible.

I, like almost every med student on here, had packed days during college. I worked two jobs, did research, had several volunteer activities every week and took full time credit hours. I thought I was busy but med school puts that to shame. Sorry about the long distance relationship, I know from personal experience how much those suck.
Good luck in your test today.

a/a

useless class for med school.

organic chemistry is all about which atoms electrons want to be friends with and understanding what pKa is. it isn't a useless class.

I recall it was a big thing in biochem, not in o-chem :confused:.

O-chem was all about a set of electrophilic/electrophobic reactions that I loved memorizing to solve exam questions like puzzles. It was fun. I made A+ in lectures and labs, without even attending to any of the lectures and teaching myself straight from the book (I was working full-time, and wasn't allowed to attend to the lectures during office hours; I took the labs after 6pm, though. :mad:)

Although, I made all A's at all of my pre-req courses, I wish all of them were as fun as o-chem. I'll see how I'll talk about its use in the med school starting in this summer, though.

O-chem had no bearing or contribution to medical school for me- HOWEVER, as previously stated its a judgement of your character and work ethic.

Its been said O-chem is the great equalizer for pre-med students -because there are gobs of useless information you will need to memorize in med school that will bore you to tears and will have little bearing on how you practice. Neuroanatomy comes to mind - about 90% of what you learn will never be applied, but you got to know it (ok yes if you go into neurology you will).

If you can't do it in college , you most likely wont be able to do it in med school.Suck it up, work hard and know its only a hoop to jump through - and gosh darn it if I'm forced to jump through that piece of garbage hoop, then I'm gonna make it look good with flare and style!! The ladies will love it (ok no they wont but it doesnt hurt to think that way -- hey baby, got me an A in O-chem, wanna hang out!!)

O-chem is not really helpful in med school, other than maybe knowing what a chiral structure is in pharm. I think I got a B in both semesters of O-chem..

The subject matter of O-chem doesn't come up much in med school, but I do feel that it is a decent undergrad simulation of what it's like to be in med school classes in terms of the pace and volume of memorization it requires.

A and A-, and mid 90's on ACS O-Chem national final exams in both courses. TA'd the class for a year after that. Failed out of med school in 3 months. Absolutely ZERO correlation. Helped for MCAT but at this point I've forgotten most of it and didn't use much of it even in the pre-clinical years.

In terms of difficulty:

Orgo 1/2 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< MS I

OMS I > OMS II (mostly cuz you're done with gross anatomy)

OMS II >>> OMSIII

OMS III >>> OMSIV (I'm told, won't know for sure for a few months).

Last edited:
A and A-, and mid 90's on ACS O-Chem national final exams in both courses. TA'd the class for a year after that. Failed out of med school in 3 months. Absolutely ZERO correlation. Helped for MCAT but at this point I've forgotten most of it and didn't use much of it even in the pre-clinical years.

In terms of difficulty:

Orgo 1/2 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< MS I

OMS I > OMS II (mostly cuz you're done with gross anatomy)

OMS II >>> OMSIII

OMS III >>> OMSIV (I'm told, won't know for sure for a few months).

wow, thank you for sharing such useful experience.

I am curious at what you meant by fail out of medical school for 3 month? did you fail out, took a break for a few year then apply and got back in again?

wow, thank you for sharing such useful experience.

I am curious at what you meant by fail out of medical school for 3 month? did you fail out, took a break for a few year then apply and got back in again?

It was a forced break. I had a lot of trouble with dissection and failed all my anatomy practicals, that brought me under passing for 2 systems in a single year and I got booted. Very long story short psychotherapy and desensitization worked and I convinced a few schools to accept me a 2nd time and haven't looked back.

Reactions: 1 user
It was a forced break. I had a lot of trouble with dissection and failed all my anatomy practicals, that brought me under passing for 2 systems in a single year and I got booted. Very long story short psychotherapy and desensitization worked and I convinced a few schools to accept me a 2nd time and haven't looked back.

WOW WOW WOW WOW... that sounds like through hell and back.

You described an impossible and seemlingly unwinnable uphill battle... and you won.

WOW!