your opinions about your pod school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am planning to apply to all eight podiatry schools this summer for the fall 2009 matriculation. I was wondering if you all could please give me your opinions about the schools are in so that I can narrow down my choice to the top 3 or four (I have to let my advisor know which schools are my top choices). If you could please answer the following questions I would really appreciate it.

1) What school do you go to?
2)Where is it located and what do you think about its location (boring, active, expensive, cheap, pretty, dodgy, etc)?
3)Do you feel that the faculty really care about you as a person and student? Or are you just another number?
4)How would you describe the student body (friendly, too competitive, etc.)?
5)What is the main style of teaching?
6)Are there a lot of resources for extra help, etc?
7) How are the facilties?
8) How much patient interaction is there?
9) How is the quality of life?
10) Do you regret going to the school you go to? Is there another school specifically that you think you may have liked better? Why?
11)What is the best aspect of the school?
12) What is the worst aspect of the school?
13)Has your perception of the school, or your experience, changed since your first year? If yes, how so?
14)Are there lots of residency options and is there good placement?
15) Any other comments

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Answers below.
Hi everybody,
I am planning to apply to all eight podiatry schools this summer for the fall 2009 matriculation. I was wondering if you all could please give me your opinions about the schools are in so that I can narrow down my choice to the top 3 or four (I have to let my advisor know which schools are my top choices). If you could please answer the following questions I would really appreciate it.

1) What school do you go to? CPMS (DMU)
2)Where is it located and what do you think about its location (boring, active, expensive, cheap, pretty, dodgy, etc)? Cold, family friendly, low key as far as night life but there are a slew of bars if you're into that, affordable housing compared to CA, PA or IL.
3)Do you feel that the faculty really care about you as a person and student? Yes. Or are you just another number? Never felt like this. They want to see you succeed so if they know you're having problems, they'll give you resources to help you out. It's usually always available. We have a small class so its really great. There's a handful of faculty members that I am comfortable with and you can tell the effort they put into putting together lecture materials. They really enjoy what they do.
4)How would you describe the student body (friendly, too competitive, etc.)? Very subjective. Everyone I've met has been friendly. Competitive, most students are, but it doesn't bother me. I'm always willing to study with my classmates. We're here to watch each other grow. Podiatry is a very small profession so keep that in mind. Its really what you make of it. Some folks are competitive but what you scored on an exam is your own business. Keep it to yourself and you'll be fine. It's a bit taboo to openly express your actual score/class rank when no one asked. And even if someone asks, you're in control on how you want to be percieved.
5)What is the main style of teaching?
Lecture notes have everything you need for the exams. It's typical lectures for basic courses, then hands on in anatomy, simulation labs, micro lab, etc. Not sure what this question means. Faculty have open door policies, meaning you can drop by anytime if you have questions. Although they usually are busy, appts might be requested.
6)Are there a lot of resources for extra help, etc? Yes. Tutors, lectures are posted online in mp3 format so you can listen to them again if you like.
7) How are the facilties?
Small campus but has everything you need. The gym is great. Anatomy lab is really nice, auditorium is super, there are outlets next to each seat for the laptops they give you.
8) How much patient interaction is there?
I'm not there yet, this is 3rd year stuff. I'm a 1st yr and we just started on patient interactions with actors. You'll see what I mean if you interview here. Rotations are on campus at the clinic in 3rd year. So, it's all patient interaction.
9) How is the quality of life?
Of my life? It's a life of a med school student. Study, eat, study, sleep, maybe shower, study...They emphasize on taking care of yourself so there's fitness trainers, stress management, etc here. There's also a spouse club that brings the spouse of the med students together for social activities. Gay, straight and lesbian club, international club, it just goes on. Support systems are available.
10) Do you regret going to the school you go to? Is there another school specifically that you think you may have liked better? Why?
Best decision I've ever made for myself. Despite the cold, I can't imagine being anywhere else. I interviewed at 4 other schools before deciding to come here. I should have just come here first and saved some money. But going to the other schools made me appreciate what DMU has to offer. I left the west coast for this, so they must have something special.
11)What is the best aspect of the school?
Everything. It seems well rounded. The gym is great too. A health care professional school should have a decent gym, right?
12) What is the worst aspect of the school?
The snow. But I don't think DMU had anything to do with that. There is a tunnel system if you want to stay dry. I do wish they had an all night cafeteria.
13)Has your perception of the school, or your experience, changed since your first year? If yes, how so?
No. I knew it was great, it was just reaffirmed.
14)Are there lots of residency options and is there good placement?
Each year is different but DMU does have a high reputation for placing their students to their first choice. Might want to call the admissions office to ask this one.
15) Any other comments
Your best bet is to call the admin office of each school you're interested in to see how their employees interact with students. I'd suggest that you visit at least 2 schools before deciding so you have something to compare to. They are all so different. What works for me may not work for you. Good luck!

Thanks so much!