Your SDN Username

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterlily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
everyone has a SDN username and on the surface, we may disregard others' as something random. But I think each person's username tells a little bit about each person...what it means, how we decided to come up with it...so I thought it'd be cool for everyone to share what their username means, and we can learn a little bit about each other :)

I'll start. Waterlily is two-fold. One, I LOVE Monet, and when I was signing up as a SDN user, I was looking at my Monet calendar and the painting that month was the Waterlily Pond (hence, my avatar). And second, the meaning of my actual name is "lily" (or so it says in the name books :p )

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really tempted to slightly hijack this thread and have everyone describe what they think each other's usernames represent.

For example, "Waterlily definitely does not come from a western desert state. Based on her demure avatar, she is probably a calm and collected person."

I used to deliver newspapers as an adult which involves delivering hundreds of papers at 3am. This job got me hooked on coffee and now I can't stop drinking it. I love it so very much, especially Dunkin Donuts coffee. :D

Xanthines are a group of chemicals of which caffeine is a member. A particular methylated xanthine found in chocolate is lethal to canines.

I figure of all the things I could be addicted to, coffee is probably the least damaging! :laugh:

-X

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, mine is not nearly so intricate or intelligent as either of yours :p

Mine just represents my fraternity (PKS- Phi Kappa Sigma) and that I am an avid rugby fan. I currently play for men's rugby in the philadelphia area and played rugby in college as well. :D

I've answered this on another thread but here you go: my now-schizophrenic older brother always called me "primadonna" when we were kids. I come from a musical family and we spent, no kidding, every summer for most of my childhood around the piano, all day, every day, practicing for the state fair. I was the soprano and, by nature, a bit of a priss. The nickname stuck. Now it's a bit of a personal joke and a reminder to me of my brother in better days, before the ravages of mental illness took so much of his personality. Every once in a while I see little glimmers of the person he once was (running on the beach with the dogs, singing an old song most of us forgot long ago) and I'm reminded that, for all its misery, life is beautiful.
And then, my birthday got tacked onto it because when I signed up for a yahoo account apparently primadonna was already taken. I had to put in my entire DOB to actually get the account! So I'm not the only one :D
Lisa

waterlily said:
everyone has a SDN username and on the surface, we may disregard others' as something random. But I think each person's username tells a little bit about each person...what it means, how we decided to come up with it...so I thought it'd be cool for everyone to share what their username means, and we can learn a little bit about each other :)

I'll start. Waterlily is two-fold. One, I LOVE Monet, and when I was signing up as a SDN user, I was looking at my Monet calendar and the painting that month was the Waterlily Pond (hence, my avatar). And second, the meaning of my actual name is "lily" (or so it says in the name books :p )

Kaplan suggests drawing a green dot on study sheets, notes, etc. and use it to center yourself when getting stressed about the mcat. Lame as it may seem, I actually began to do it, first as a joke and then as a habit, until it started to work. The green dot helped me stay relaxed during the exam.

At 8-feet tall, I am a giant. I also like the NY Giants.

In college, my male friends all had names that could turned into female nicknames. You know: Joshua- Josie, Julian- Julie...etc. So when we wanted to make them mad or tease them we would call them by those names. :smuggrin:

Anyway, the guys thought that my best friend and I were too girly so they gave us guy names for nicknames. I guess they hoped it would make us be more "guy-like", I don't know! I was given "tito" because I am Latina and a musician (you know, Tito Fuentes). To this day I answer to Tito if I hear it called out! When I moved to california I started using the "titoincali".

drinklord said:
I'm really tempted to slightly hijack this thread and have everyone describe what they think each other's usernames represent.

For example, "Waterlily definitely does not come from a western desert state. Based on her demure avatar, she is probably a calm and collected person."

Hehe, almost right on. I guess you can say I'm calm and collected, and pretty modest. But I am actually from a western state :p Hmm, how does an avatar seem demure?

my name isnt very original, since my real name is pretty long ppl in high school eventually started callin me frany, it pretty much stuck, even my teachers called me frany too, which was kind of weird....

Mine's pretty self-explanatory :)

mine is a rather long story...

i was born, and with that named ryan. my parents last name happened to be sajdak. they gave me a middle name beginning with 'a'. put that together you get (r)yan (a) (sajdak), or rasajdak. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
"Safe" and "flower" are the meanings of my first and middle names, respectively. :)

"Mistress S" is a nickname my (then and current) BF gave me in high school. My first name begins with an "s", and I guess I can be kind of demanding, so that's where it comes from- as in, "Thank you Mistress S, may I please have another." :laugh:

i dont think mine really needs a explaination...

Mine was total random, spur of the moment. I have nooo explanation for it ;0

i enjoy being vomited on

The inspiration for my user name came from my sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha. We like to call ourselves the pretty girls and we were founded January 15, 1908. Hence prettygirl1908 :)

My first name is Sally, and I have a '65 Mustang. Pretty self explanatory. See my avatar for a picture of my car.

I like learning the reasoning (or lack thereof) behind these names I see so much.

angietron3000 would be my model # if i was a robot :)

mine is pretty simple...it's my initials/name J. B. Rice and 1639 was my initiation number in my fraternity (I was a Lambda Chi Alpha at University of Illinois).

nothing too exciting, but it had to be something easy enough that i could remember it :rolleyes:

my full name's Mohamad Zhafri. pretty unwieldy. so the homeys call me 'zhaf'.

my folks had a night of fun way back in '85. the made such a ruckus that i finally decided to see how the world was doing sometime in '86.

so zhaf86. nice and simple.

Awww..mine is not as deep. My sister's cat was attacking my hands when I was signing up for an acct, so I blew on her face, and she blinked --> ;)

mine is not as disgusting as it seems...i promise :)

Mine is just one of those self-explanatory names. My avatar is the Bacardi bat.

GiantGiantsFan said:
At 8-feet tall, I am a giant. I also like the NY Giants.

:eek:

please post a picture. 8 FEET?!??!?! how big is your .... um... shoe size? :oops:

Animaniacs (sp?) was one of my favorite cartoons way back when, next to Ren and Stimpy. I feel sorry for kids today. Their cartoons aren't nearly as good as ours were.

Brain said:
Animaniacs (sp?) was one of my favorite cartoons way back when, next to Ren and Stimpy. I feel sorry for kids today. Their cartoons aren't nearly as good as ours were.

Narf! :laugh: I liked Animaniacs as well.

Brain said:

seriously! And what about Disney movies...no more real cartoons with awesome musicals...now they're all plain ol' computer animations. Sigh...the good ol days

Pinky and the Brain!!!
"What are we going to do today, Brain?"
"Same as we do everyday, Pinky...try to take over the world...." (nyah hah hah, evil laugh....)

Brain said:

Well.....I have this plan, and..... :thumbup: :luck:

Humuhumu means triggerfish in Hawaiian. In fact, the (unofficial) state fish of Hawaii is humuhumu nukunuku apua'a. I happen to think they're beautiful, and they're so fun to watch in their natural habitat. Currently I don't live anywhere near their natural habitat, but it's nice to dream....

humuhumu said:
Humuhumu means triggerfish in Hawaiian. In fact, the (unofficial) state fish of Hawaii is humuhumu nukunuku apua'a. I happen to think they're beautiful, and they're so fun to watch in their natural habitat. Currently I don't live anywhere near their natural habitat, but it's nice to dream....

Cool name! I actually heard that name and what it meant on "Dog the Bounty Hunter" and everytime I see one of your posts I think about it. Always brings on a smile :)

Ok..mine may seem a little morbid when I explain it. Back in 94' or 95', in my early days as a respiratory therapist, I was surprised to discover that one of my occupational responsibilities was to " unplug...turn off" or actually extubate patients when it was time to "let them go." This is also called a "terminal wean." So when I was first signing on to AOL or YAHOO I used this as a screenname. It is never used and is always available. Morbid. :oops:

doc + bill.

I have had this nick name since 1992 or 93 in grade 10 when we got access to the internet on those old Macs. You know one piece monitor and hard drive.

Now interesting enought all the way back then... something was hidden in my nick name. DOcbill. I was going to get DrBill, but this did not sound good... so I did docbill. Back to the DOcbill part. I am going to DO school. It was meant to be.

Now the avtar. Well the family guy is now my prefered cartoon. Mainly because it is soooo wrronggg. Stewyyyy is the best. He is so evil. Like ME.

no explanation needed :p

Jora Kustikov = George Bush if you translate his name using Russian names/nouns.
My friend was taking Russian, and her teacher got this Russian joke, and unless you knew that "Jora Kustikov" = G. Bush, the joke was not funny, but if you knew - it was very funny...
Now, unfortunatelly, I don't remember the joke, but the name stuck...
Now you know...

I love poker - hence the "flop" name had to be incorporated in here some how.

I was hopelessly in love with a girl when I joined SDN :eek:

Song off of Radiohead's Kid A album. Not the best on the album but "TheNationalAnthem" isn't a great name.

My screen name is complicated and would take way too long to explain.

So, I'm from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (a Yooper), specifically from Escanaba. There's this movie Jeff Daniels produced in my hometown of Escanaba, called "Escanaba In Da Moonlight". It's the only thing most people know about Escanba, if they know anything at all.

Anyways, one of the characters in this movie is Jimminy Negiminee from Menominee, also known as dajimmers. He drinks porkupine piss, and his chevy takes a ****.

My name is James, which translates to Jim, which somehow becomes dajimmers.

drinklord said:

I like this idea better. What do you think mine means?

So my older brother used to call me "Odd" (sounds like the first syllable of my name) when we were little, and I'd try to insult him right back by calling him "Even". It never worked, somehow he always won. Similar to what PrimaDonna said, it reminds me of happier times, when my brother was still alive and hadn't gone crazy yet.

And then the last part is just my last name~

DrHopeless said:
I was hopelessly in love with a girl when I joined SDN :eek:

so what happened? still in love? :love:

CTG said:
I like this idea better. What do you think mine means?

sorry! that sounded totally self-centered.. i like the idea behind this thread, just meant to say i'd rather someone guess mine than me share b/c mine is kind of personal... :oops:

Thelonious Monk is one of my favorite jazz musicians. I blended my name (Nick) with it.

My name is Jeff, I was sleepy, and it was AOL in 7th grade.