your thoughts...letter of interest blooper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Star2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So, I was working on a letter of interest to my top-choice school for the past three nights. I stayed up till 3am with the determination to finish it and finally sent it off by email to the Dean of admissions. Then, I re-read the letter for the 50th time and realized that in trimming it down to a page, I'd remove my personality from the letter and it became lifeless and even a bit arrogant.

So, I re-read my draft and decided that I should act fast and fix things. I re-sent my better letter which is about 1/4 page longer to the dean with the subject heading of something like "Letter of Interest. (please disregard previous message, thank you!)" Now, being more alert, I don't know what I was doing!! I feel good about sending in the better letter because it shows who I really am, but omg, what did i just do?!

Please tell me i'm just stressing out over small stuff!! I really really want to go to this school, it would be a dream come true. Any thoughts/ advice you can share on the matter would be appreciated! THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, that was a poor decision.

If you were going to be accepted, they'll probably ignore it.

If you were going to be rejected, they'll still ignore it.

If you were in between... then... sorry.

But in all seriousness, adcoms have seen worse. Your gaff was probably forgotten about the moment the Dean hit the print button.

Last edited:
I would hope that they are as busy as we'd hope they are, mulling over our applications, in which case they really will ignore your previous email. They're too busy :p

Even if they do read it, they probably won't care unless the first email was like a drunk emailing that reflects poorly on the emailer :)