Zero Interviews.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olivejuice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Although I have been very optimistic throughout this entire process I am now beginning to worry, since as of today I do not have a single interview.

Let me explain in more detail,
I have applied to 69 programs, not all in the same specialty. I began with TY programs and one of the "competitive" specialties. Last week, as I began to panic, I thought of applying to IM programs and I did apply to 6 or 7.

I am indeed an IMG. Decent Scores. Not ECFMG certified yet. Decent LOR's. Sent in my applications Sept 29th, so a bit late.

I have read suggestions regarding calling PD/PC- even the possibility that there are issues with ERAS mailbox.

Do I apply to even more programs, or should I save my money as it is "late" in the process? I do know that many programs list deadlines as December or January.

It's not that I've received loads of rejections, which I have not. I simply have not received any invites.

How much longer to wait until I begin plan "b" of applying for research fellowship etc?

I am very upset and I need advice, perhaps I am in shock, or having a delayed-reaction or denial of some sorts- but right now it is all hitting me.

Am i the only one without interviews? I realize people are embarrassed to admit it, but even if you let me know anonymously, maybe we can all brainstorm?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you applied to any prelim programs? I'd start thinking about that at this point. From what I understand (and I very realistically could be wrong), doing a prelim year somewhere is infinitely better than doing research or an MPH as far as matching next year.

What specialty are you most interested in? Do you have a specific set of LOR's geared for that field?

Matching into any competitive specialty, even a medium-competitive one, is probably not realistic for you because you are a FMG. In fact, you are not a US citizen and not yet ECFMG certified yet. Unless you have very very high step scores I do not think you have a shot at a competitive specialty. You have to think of it as the programs do - if they have way more qualified US grads than they can take, with equal or better step scores than you, and who graduated from a med school they know and for whom they don't have to provide a visa, why would they take you? Unless you have something particularly exceptional, like major research publications in that specialty area, and a LOR from some foreign doctor well known in academic circles, I just think getting in might be unrealistic.

Getting in to specialties that actually have a lot of spots, such as internal medicine, psych and family practice, probably would be possible, even if you apply now.

If you are still dead set on this specialty that you want, then depending on what the specialty is, it might be helpful to do a medicine prelim year. Then you will have US training on your resume and perhaps could continue on in IM later if your original plans fell through. A surgical prelim spot might also be possible, but be aware these are often dead ends - I had a friend US permanent resident grad of Israeli med school who did surgical prelim years x 2 years and still couldn't find an upper level surgery spot, and ultimately entered another specialty.

So you have to decide how much you are willing to risk. Realize that many, many US students, even those with good academic records, don't match into specialties like ophtho, radiology, derm, and surgical subspecialties every year. As an FMG your chances will be low.

Transitional years are very very hard to get in general. Many US students who want one can't get it, and end up doing prelim IM year or prelim surgical year instead.

by the way i do have a greencard, so no visa issues. (i hope!)

thank you for the input, well taken.

Transitional years are very very hard to get in general. Many US students who want one can't get it, and end up doing prelim IM year or prelim surgical year instead.

Yeah, you pretty much have to assume that getting a transitional year is as difficult as getting a top derm, optho or rads slot, because that's who is trying to get these cushy one year slots. The folks who actually need it for "transitional" year (decision making) purposes usually don't have a prayer.

law2doc is right
Transitional years are notoriously hard to get. I was at a well known (always in Top 5 on US News World Report, etc., not that it matters) med school and even the folks going into radiology, etc. stressed about not being able to get a transitional year and getting stuck doing surg. or medicine for a year! Besides, I think for you a transitional year would not be good...you won't get credit for some or maybe all of the months if you later end up in a specialty that won't accept a transitional year, or even for internal medicine, etc. You'll end up repeating half or more of the year as an intern again, which would totally suck.

You need to do a realistic assessment of
a) what specialties are you competitive for, given your IMG status and your board scores and other factors, and
b) what specialties you would like to do. No sense being miserable for 30 years, but at the same time hard choices may need to be made. Not every US student who wants radiology or ophtho ends up getting them either.

When do you anticipate getting ECFMG certified? Although it's not a requirement to apply, most programs require it (but they'll only tell you this if you ask them, won't necessarily be on their Freida profile). It's a major disadvantage (along with all the others already mentioned) for an IMG to apply before physically having the ECFMG certificate.

Well, my graduation and receipt of diploma is in the beginning of May. So I suppose my certification will take about a month or so?

I'm not sure how people get certified early without having to sit out for a year if they are IMG's.

I'm not sure either.
I think a lot of them DO sit out for a year. It seems unfair/sucky though.

I'm not sure either.
I think a lot of them DO sit out for a year. It seems unfair/sucky though.

Yes, alot of us DID sit out for a year. It's always worth applying, but i wouldn't take it too personally if you don't get too many interview invites without being ECFMG certified.

If you have all your step 1 and 2 score (including CS) and the only thing keeping you from ECFMG is med school graduation, then make sure that the programs you apply to know this.

I am not sure what medical school you are coming from but I know plenty of IMGs who match every year without an ECFMG certificate in hand and then recieve it shortly thereafter.

I don't know what you are applying to either but I know plenty of IMGs who get tons of interviews and have matched into good programs, that is to say to you that there is hope.

I know of one particular case that I will share a bit of that might give you hope. It was about this time that one person I know, and IMG, was getting desparate about not having any interviews. She asked the dean of her program to make some calls and other people she had worked with in the US. She was applying to IM at fairly competitive schools in a limited geographical region. Scores were okay but included a failed attempt at Step 1, LORs decent, only 1 month US experience and med school completed over 6 years because of starting a family.

Anyway, she eventually started making phone calls herself and got herself three interviews. She then failed CS and had to drop out of the match but because she continued talking with the people from her interviews she was offered an off-cycle position. She attributes the interviews and the position to her contacting first the PC and then the PD and in her words nearly begging just to interview. IT worked in her case and it seems like you might be a bit better applicant than her.

That is just to give you encouragement. A phone call might not help but I am not sure it would hurt.

Blessings to you and I hope something works out in your favor.

thank you for your kind words- much needed especially on a day like today where i'm contemplating calling it quits.

now, just finding the time to make those calls...

Olivejuice,
Any luck with the phone calls? I havent received any IV's either.

I am not sure what medical school you are coming from but I know plenty of IMGs who match every year without an ECFMG certificate in hand and then recieve it shortly thereafter.

I don't know what you are applying to either but I know plenty of IMGs who get tons of interviews and have matched into good programs, that is to say to you that there is hope.

I know of one particular case that I will share a bit of that might give you hope. It was about this time that one person I know, and IMG, was getting desparate about not having any interviews. She asked the dean of her program to make some calls and other people she had worked with in the US. She was applying to IM at fairly competitive schools in a limited geographical region. Scores were okay but included a failed attempt at Step 1, LORs decent, only 1 month US experience and med school completed over 6 years because of starting a family.

Anyway, she eventually started making phone calls herself and got herself three interviews. She then failed CS and had to drop out of the match but because she continued talking with the people from her interviews she was offered an off-cycle position. She attributes the interviews and the position to her contacting first the PC and then the PD and in her words nearly begging just to interview. IT worked in her case and it seems like you might be a bit better applicant than her.

That is just to give you encouragement. A phone call might not help but I am not sure it would hurt.

Blessings to you and I hope something works out in your favor.

This is really the most encouraging reply I ever read on the SDN!

Olivejuice,
Any luck with the phone calls? I havent received any IV's either.
Call every single program that you have applied to. If no one answers, do not leave a message. Write an email instead. By email, I would suggest the PD over the PC/RC just so that you know it was in his or her hands at some point. Ask nicely via telephone for the status on your application. Sound enthusiastic and use your best manners. A lot of the PC's cough up clues, many of which will give you an idea as to where you stand. Ask if interviews are still being offered, if there is a wait list, where you are on the list, and find out if rejections are emailed to all applicants. At this point, you may just be building a case for next year's Match, but your interest now, with your name dropped several times, may put you in the running when someone cancels or even next year. Search the internet for email samples, but make sure you sell yourself in them, and tailor them to you and how you would fit into their program.

Call every single program that you have applied to. If no one answers, do not leave a message. Write an email instead. By email, I would suggest the PD over the PC/RC just so that you know it was in his or her hands at some point. Ask nicely via telephone for the status on your application. Sound enthusiastic and use your best manners. A lot of the PC's cough up clues, many of which will give you an idea as to where you stand. Ask if interviews are still being offered, if there is a wait list, where you are on the list, and find out if rejections are emailed to all applicants. At this point, you may just be building a case for next year's Match, but your interest now, with your name dropped several times, may put you in the running when someone cancels or even next year. Search the internet for email samples, but make sure you sell yourself in them, and tailor them to you and how you would fit into their program.

Thank you Abram Hoffer for the advice. Will work on it, hope it will open some doors. :xf: