Zhejiang University MBBS vs. staying in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted855460

[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I am a student at a Top-25 U.S. University, and I am pre-med. I am thinking about applying to transfer to Zhejiang University MBBS, and I wanted to ask if anyone knew any information about it (passing USMLE 3-Step, Residencies, Graduation rate, quality of education), because there is not a lot on Zhejiang's webpages.

I initially thought about getting my medical degree abroad because my GPA is too low to qualify for medical schools in the U.S. My overall cumulative GPA is a 3.59. My science GPA is quite low as I have two B's in a General Bio and General Chem course. I believe my GPA will go down in the next few years because I have struggled with the science courses at my school (1st year) and it only gets harder from here on out. (Many people have told me I do not possess the aptitude to study science, but I enjoy science greatly and I wish to become a doctor.)

Best,
CelloMan

I think it will be pretty difficult. You will probably run into difficulties regarding some places being concerned that you are talking to patients in Chinese rather than English. Do you speak Mandarin yourself?

Will come back to try and help at a later time <reminder>

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be extraordinarily difficult to return to USA.

Carribeans would be a better option. Why not take the MCAT and see how it goes? A strong MCAT can fix a 3.6 gpa, which isnt that bad anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
I am a student at a Top-25 U.S. University, and I am pre-med. I am thinking about applying to transfer to Zhejiang University MBBS, and I wanted to ask if anyone knew any information about it (passing USMLE 3-Step, Residencies, Graduation rate, quality of education), because there is not a lot on Zhejiang's webpages.

I initially thought about getting my medical degree abroad because my GPA is too low to qualify for medical schools in the U.S. My overall cumulative GPA is a 3.59. My science GPA is quite low as I have two B's in a General Bio and General Chem course. I believe my GPA will go down in the next few years because I have struggled with the science courses at my school (1st year) and it only gets harder from here on out. (Many people have told me I do not possess the aptitude to study science, but I enjoy science greatly and I wish to become a doctor.)

Best,
CelloMan

Hey,
So I know this had been like 6 months but I just want to add my bit. Studying in a different country especially for medicine and trying to go back to your home country to practice is always difficult. However, it is doable. I currently study in Zhejiang University anyway, in 3rd year now. I did my Bachelors in UK and will back after medical school.
Am not too sure as to how many people have been able to move back to US after studying medicine in China, however, I do know some people in UK who studied in China and are currently practicing in UK after clearing the PLAB, two of which graduated this year from ZJU. I do know with US you would have to sit for USMLE, which a lot of people studying in China medical schools take anyway. Those in my year group are prime examples. Most of them are preparing at the moment. A few seniors I know who have no intention of going to the US have also taken the USMLE and are awaiting these results. If you do search for a guy from Nanchang University in China on YouTube, he did take the USMLE and had I think 220+. I stand corrected.
But anyway, what I am trying to send across is that if you do really decide to come to China, you can pass your USMLE, but it will require extra extra work. We use Western books in lectures as recommended by lecturers. English Language is an issue but it's manageable. We do however have some foreign lecturers, one for anatomy and microbiology. There is one for physiology and pathology, though I didn't have them as they were probably away when I was taking those courses (taking pathology at the moment). In terms of understanding, we sometimes have to resort to USMLE videos and for pathology (pathoma is your friend). Generally as I said earlier on, you will have to work extra extra if you want to integrate back to US.
If it's any consolation, I have got a friend from US in my badge. He actually was doing PhD in University of Chicago, kind of got fed up with it and decided to take medicine in ZJU. So yeah, all the best in whatever you decide on and if you need anymore info, u can look for me on Researchgate or LinkedIn. The name on Researchgate is Benson B. You can add my university name and make it easy for yourself.

Till then, Cheerio

Reactions: 1 user
I know for fact that you can test into the US as an oversea doctor, but most of them ended up PCP, with MD degree. I recommend that after you obtained your licence in China, stay there and learn as much clinical knowledge and experience as you can, even though the language is different. This will enhance your clinical skills which is an very important part for the boards.