~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey everyone!

I saw others doing it, so I feel the need now too...

GPA 3.3 ScGPA 3.0 MCAT practices 23, 24, 24 (hopefully the real one is higher)

Im also a University athlete which I hear is good

I have strong LOR and will hopefully get one from a DO this summer

My top choices as of now are PCOM-Ga and TCOM,

So what do ya'll think? Hopefully I have a shot? Especially anyone from those two schools?

Thanks!

I think your GPA is fine (as long as you science is a 3.0 and not below because otherwise you won't make some cutoffs). Also, you need to up the MCAT a little. Practice makes perfect! And you must get a DO letter. It really helps, especially if your stats are a little lower. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone! i'm pretty new to this, so here goes ...

these are the schools i'm interested in!

CCOM
LECOM (BOTH)
KCUMB
NYCOM
DMU
WVSOM
TOUR-CA
LMU-Debusk
PCOM (BOTH)
PCSOM-Pikeville
RVU-COM (??)
UNECOM (??)
UMDNJ-SOM (??)

the ones with ? marks, i could use some help with. for example, rocky vista is realllly new-- is that necessarily a bad/negative thing? also, i'm sure my GPA/MCAT (3.3 cum, 2.98 sci, 25P mcat) rules me out of some schools, and it would nice to know which ones i should not be spending my time on. if anyone knows which schools are REALLY in-state heavy, that would be helpful as well.

oh, and for your reference, in case you need more information: i have pretty excellent LORs (1 DO, 1 MD, 3 science profs and 2 nonscience profs) and hundreds of shadowing/volunteer hours at a private practice, a clinic and a hospital. i'm also extremely involved on campus.

thanks!!!!!!

Some helpful info. I think this info is from 2005. It is a little old but will give you an idea.

http://www.byui.edu/hpac/medInvsOutState.xls

hey hey guys. i plan on applying to both do and md schools. I was just wondering if the do schools and md schools talk to eachother. if i have an aacms and aacoms apps going, will that hurt me either way. i'd rather go to md school but honestly i do not care i just wanna be a doctor. will do schools resent it or be able to find out if i have md apps going at the same time? thanks for all your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey hey guys. i plan on applying to both do and md schools. I was just wondering if the do schools and md schools talk to eachother. if i have an aacms and aacoms apps going, will that hurt me either way. i'd rather go to md school but honestly i do not care i just wanna be a doctor. will do schools resent it or be able to find out if i have md apps going at the same time? thanks for all your help.

No double Dipping does not matter as long as you are not applying to EVERY school that exists as far as I can tell. Most admissions folks are adults and understand how competitive it is. I am not sure how much they talk if they do at all but it is a small world. My .02 is tell the truth.

As anecdotal evidence, the two schools that requested that info from me, I received interview invites. I went to one of the interviews and they let me in.

I guess I'm still in shock of the refreshingly laxed stat requirements of DO schools, but what about all these people applying?? Let's be honest, these scores aren't that hard to obtain, is there really this much room in DO schools? I have a feeling that the reality of it is that the requirements aren't that crazy and the chances of matriculating are based more on luck and nepotism or the novelty of a non traditional student body.

Do people usually get in with these scores? Or is something like, "you'll get eventually"???

which scores, jeffro?

I donno... like 3.0 -3.5 / 26 - 30

I go to a smaller LAC (Rowan University). Do you think this will greatly affect my chances of getting in??

I donno... like 3.0 -3.5 / 26 - 30

I go to a smaller LAC (Rowan University). Do you think this will greatly affect my chances of getting in??

You do realize that people get into med school (MD and DO) with the above ranges, right? MD and DO averages are not THAT different.

DO from 2005:

GPA:
science GPA 3.36
non-science GPA 3.54
mean GPA 3.44

MCAT:
Biological: 8.64
verbal:8.31
physical: 8.04

Ironically, the AAMC does not list averages of accepted students in their MSAR, rather they list "ranges". This is my own estimate: mean GPA 3.5, 30 MCAT.

The most notable difference is that DO schools have a lower MCAT average (average of 25 vs. 30 for MD), but who cares . . . do you?

The MCAT ranges vary widely from state to state. Mississipppi and Alabama have lower MCAT averages than California or Colorado.

And I have to agree - the GPA/MCATs for DO schools have been climbing. There isn't much difference anymore.

Of course I don't care! It just seems like there are way too many people that would be eligible to apply to a DO school.

I'm just really worried about getting in which probably doesn't help, (I have 2 more years until I'm going to even take the MCAT).

I know that I can get these scores, however, like I said before, I feel like there are going to be tons of applicants and it's going to be impossible to get into a school.

Ok guys here it goes, I graduated in 2000 from highschool and coming out it I had no idea what I wanted to be. In community college I got nine F's and 5 W's. In 2005 I managed to pick my self up and realized what I wanted to be, I went to a state University and graduated last year with a 3.7. Since then I am in my third semester in a MS program in Biomedicine, graduate in the fall and have a 4.0 there. My last 8 semesters I have taken nothing but upper level sciences and gotten all A's (the only reason I got a 3.7 in my university gpa is because of a couple B+, and a frickin C in spanish) Anyways my cum gpa is going to be ****y (3.2) because of my past history and Im worried im not gonna even get looked at. I just took my mcat saturday and I have practice scores ranging from 25-33. Do you guys think I have a chance or am i dead in the water, thanks and i appreciate any advice.

Of course I don't care! It just seems like there are way too many people that would be eligible to apply to a DO school.

I'm just really worried about getting in which probably doesn't help, (I have 2 more years until I'm going to even take the MCAT).

I know that I can get these scores, however, like I said before, I feel like there are going to be tons of applicants and it's going to be impossible to get into a school.

Well don't forget that schools are expanding their class sizes and new schools are opening. Besides, you can hardly change the situation with applying. Why not work on changing what you can, like your GPA and MCAT?

There will always be too many applicants and a lot of good people get left out. But, I don't see the need to focus on how competitive it is but rather what you personally can do about it.

This is true with any graduate program! There are more people trying to get in than there are open spots! Applying to medical school is competitive (whether it's MD or DO) and yes, the majority of people won't get in . . . that's just the nature of the beast. Overall acceptance rates for MD and DO are not that different.

Work on boosting your overall application. It's not all about GPA and MCAT. The good thing is you have time to make your application the best it can be. Shadow a DO, get strong LOR's, do well in your last 2 years of college, study hard for the MCAT and you should be in good shape to apply in 2010.

Here's a good thread on DO acceptance rates: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=467568&highlight=acceptance+rates

Good Luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok guys here it goes, I graduated in 2000 from highschool and coming out it I had no idea what I wanted to be. In community college I got nine F's and 5 W's. In 2005 I managed to pick my self up and realized what I wanted to be, I went to a state University and graduated last year with a 3.7. Since then I am in my third semester in a MS program in Biomedicine, graduate in the fall and have a 4.0 there. My last 8 semesters I have taken nothing but upper level sciences and gotten all A's (the only reason I got a 3.7 in my university gpa is because of a couple B+, and a frickin C in spanish) Anyways my cum gpa is going to be ****y (3.2) because of my past history and Im worried im not gonna even get looked at. I just took my mcat saturday and I have practice scores ranging from 25-33. Do you guys think I have a chance or am i dead in the water, thanks and i appreciate any advice.

yaba,

That's quite the turn around! I think that you may get asked about those semesters that you did so poorly, so be ready to explain. Adcoms like to see upward trends and it seems that you have an upward trend. I was kind of in the same situation. I got a D and a couple C's the semester I was engaged to my wife. Adcoms did ask me about it and I had to explain. I ended up getting in to those schools so I must of had a good enough explaination. Also just be straight with them, adcoms have a strange way of telling when someone is trying to BS them. I hope this helps. Apply early, do good on the MCAT, and be confident. I think you should be okay.

I think Touro cuttoff is a 24 mcat. Thats what they told me

I think Touro cuttoff is a 24 mcat. Thats what they told me

They told me 23 and I've heard about them telling other people 24. They need to get their story straight! :smuggrin:;)

overall gpa: 3.53
science gpa: 3.0
mcat: 30 O

one semester research
hospital volunteer work
lab specimen processor at clinic
shadowing
teach underprivileged students science
volunteer at Boys and Girls Club
strong LOR's
TX Resident

Do I have a chance at PCOM, CCOM, Nova, Touro NY?

overall gpa: 3.53
science gpa: 3.0
mcat: 30 O

one semester research
hospital volunteer work
lab specimen processor at clinic
shadowing
teach underprivileged students science
volunteer at Boys and Girls Club
strong LOR's
TX Resident

Do I have a chance at PCOM, CCOM, Nova, Touro NY?

Do you have a DO LOR? Why no TCOM?

actually my science gpa is 3.19 right now but i think it will be higher after this summer

i do have a DO letter and i am applying to tcom, i just don't think i'll get in

Honestly, with a DO letter and that MCAT score I think you have a great chance at all the schools you listed (especially if you can get that science GPA up to 3.2 or 3.3). :thumbup:

Good Luck :luck:

I disagree, good luck I think you have a good shot barring personality disorder.

Like Prions said, GPA and MCAT are just a small part of applying to DO schools. These schools tend to take applicants with more experience, and often have higher average ages. TUCOM, for instance, has an ave student age of 27. It is likely that a student with a lower MCAT and GPA with more experience will get in over a higher scoring student with little or no ECs. The acceptance rates are low for most schools, just like MD. So, it's competitive, no doubt, but you can make up for lower scores if you are a more rounded student. Forget about minimum GPAs and MCATs, they tell you nothing about your chances of getting admitted.

Can I clarify on something? So my mcat is scheduled for Aug 22. Is it better to apply to all my DO schools before I take the mcat, or after? Or does it not matter.

Also, so in addition to my 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 DO letter, would it be helpful to get a strong letter from a lab tech I did research with?

apply before you take it, so you have everything ready when you when you get your score. It takes them like a month and a half to verify your application anyway.

Can I clarify on something? So my mcat is scheduled for Aug 22. Is it better to apply to all my DO schools before I take the mcat, or after? Or does it not matter.

Also, so in addition to my 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 DO letter, would it be helpful to get a strong letter from a lab tech I did research with?

I would fill out your application right when it AACOMAS opens. This way you will have everything ready to go and when your MCAT score comes in AACOMAS will update all your schools with it. Trust me, you will be complete faster by doing it this way. I was verified within 4 days and I filled out my application the week it opened. The wait to be verified in August/September is much longer than it is in June/July.

Also, about the lab tech, if they have a PhD go ahead and ask them for a letter, if not I wouldn't worry about it.

I would fill out your application right when it AACOMAS opens. This way you will have everything ready to go and when your MCAT score comes in AACOMAS will update all your schools with it. Trust me, you will be complete faster by doing it this way. I was verified within 4 days and I filled out my application the week it opened. The wait to be verified in August/September is much longer than it is in June/July.

Also, about the lab tech, if they have a PhD go ahead and ask them for a letter, if not I wouldn't worry about it.
I see. Thank you.

Also, should I even bother applying allopathic w/ 3.15 sgpa, w mcat sch. Aug 22 (assuming I get >32)

I see. Thank you.

Also, should I even bother applying allopathic w/ 3.15 sgpa, w mcat sch. Aug 22 (assuming I get >32)

you are taking the mcat way to late to apply for allopathic schools. Most pre allopathic students take the mcat in late june or early july the latest.

I see. Thank you.

I agree with a817, the allopathic application cycle is slightly ahead of the allopathic application timeline. I think you would have a better shot at both MD and DO schools if you applied earlier. Is there any way you can take the MCAT in July?

prions, this year with the MCAT has been pretty crazy. Many of my friends around campus are taking it at obscure locations on weird dates, so I doubt at this point badapples can change, but like everyone says, I think he/she should still try.

prions, this year with the MCAT has been pretty crazy. Many of my friends around campus are taking it at obscure locations on weird dates, so I doubt at this point badapples can change, but like everyone says, I think he/she should still try.

Ah, that sucks. I guess most people don't really have a choice then if they registered late. They can always check for openings (a lot of people change dates) . . . that's how I moved up my test date. :thumbup:

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on number of schools to apply to. I'm submitting my primary apps in June, and was thinking of applying to 25 DO schools. I'm applying to a large number of schools, because of my garbage G.P.A from classes I was taking 8 to 10 years ago. Here's my run down:

1997-1999 (60 units GPA 2.4)
2003-2004 (62 units GPA 3.26)
2006-2008 (61 units GPA 3.3) Post-bac

Overall GPA 2.87
Science GPA 3.16

B.A. International Studies, 40 hours shadowing, ER volunteer, Spent two years living out of backpack overseas (6 continents, 34 countries I don't know if med schools care about this kind of crap), proficient in Spanish.

Taking MCAT June 13th, practice tests have been 25-30. If you were in my shoes when the MCAT scores comes out in July, what number would you retake on (not that I'm planning on retake)? I'm thinking if score is a 25 or lower retake, 26 or above keep it? What do you think? I'm more than happy to attend any of the D.O. schools (even if it means living in Pikesville, KY).

Also is 25 schools too many to apply to? Any advice or criticism is appreciated.

Before I respond, Turkelton, I would mostly focus on killing the MCAT. It's hard to judge situations when people post practice tests because you'll surprise yourself on test day when you compare the scores to the practice tests. Just focus on that and consider the possibilities when it comes back. Furthermore, is there any way to take it earlier? You'll be complete at around the end of July/early August, but I suppose that's the case for a lot of people.

So, with that, is your cGPA with the post bac? Because like a few others have mentioned, you'd like that 3.0 if possible.

I don't see 25 schools being a problem, but that's practically every DO school there is :) I consider myself a pretty risky candidate so my list is hitting the 20s and although it'll suck, both in time and money, we can't afford to do any less.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on number of schools to apply to. I'm submitting my primary apps in June, and was thinking of applying to 25 DO schools. I'm applying to a large number of schools, because of my garbage G.P.A from classes I was taking 8 to 10 years ago. Here's my run down:

1997-1999 (60 units GPA 2.4)
2003-2004 (62 units GPA 3.26)
2006-2008 (61 units GPA 3.3) Post-bac

Overall GPA 2.87
Science GPA 3.16

B.A. International Studies, 40 hours shadowing, ER volunteer, Spent two years living out of backpack overseas (6 continents, 34 countries I don't know if med schools care about this kind of crap), proficient in Spanish.

Taking MCAT June 13th, practice tests have been 25-30. If you were in my shoes when the MCAT scores comes out in July, what number would you retake on (not that I'm planning on retake)? I'm thinking if score is a 25 or lower retake, 26 or above keep it? What do you think? I'm more than happy to attend any of the D.O. schools (even if it means living in Pikesville, KY).

Also is 25 schools too many to apply to? Any advice or criticism is appreciated.

I think your MCAT date is fine. I took the MCAT in August, but filled out my primary application in June and I was complete at all schools by late September. I was also a very marginal candidate (GPA and MCAT wise) and I think I was still plenty early in terms of applying.

You might get screened out of some secondaries with the sub 3.0 overall GPA, so to offset that I would shoot for a 27+ MCAT. Remember, this is just my opinion and what I would do if I were you. :)

Go ahead and apply to all the DO schools (there are 28, but some are pretty in state heavy and you might want to leave those out) and see what happens! You have to take the plunge to reap the rewards, right?

Best of luck to you!
:luck:

Hey prionsRbad,

I noticed that you said that you took the mcat in August and were fine with your application. I am in the same boat. I want to the mcat in July, but there is no way that I will be ready until August. If I send the rest of my application info in early and take the mcat in August, do you think that this will hinder me too much? One of my friends took his mcat in August of last year (got a 32), and the adcom (at MD school) said that most of the seats for the class were full by the time his file was looked at. I don't want this to happen to me. What do you think?

I think applying to 25 schools is not a bad idea in itself. However, a lot of schools send out secondaries to all or most primary applicants. As long as you can take the time to fill each secondary out very carefully (and not rush through them), I think that this is a good idea. Don't sacrifice the quality of your secondaries for quantity.

Well, there's a nice success story from prions. I'm just speculating so we'll see after this cycle if I'm one too :)

Spooner, should you be that worried about the 'quality' of your secondaries? I don't think you'll sweat over secondary responses as much as the PS and depending on how much time you have, grinding out secondaries during the summer should not be a problem. Take them one at a time and just be honest really. What else would they want other than the secondary fee?

I see secondaries as a cheap shot since I figure most of the questions they ask on there will probably be re-asked by an interviewer without your application responses read. They're just another necessary step if you ask me. I could be wrong though, as I'm sure some school cares a lot about their secondaries, but I don't plan on sweating over them when they roll in.

It is obvious that a 2.75 science gpa has a very low chance of proving one's academic prowess or one's interest in the sciences. So a 2.75, 25 mcat and some 100 hours of volunteering is probably not going to get you in. So don't aim for those scores, aim to be the cream of the crop , and if you end up being above average, it doesn't matter, someone will take you in.

Hey prionsRbad,

I noticed that you said that you took the mcat in August and were fine with your application. I am in the same boat. I want to the mcat in July, but there is no way that I will be ready until August. If I send the rest of my application info in early and take the mcat in August, do you think that this will hinder me too much? One of my friends took his mcat in August of last year (got a 32), and the adcom (at MD school) said that most of the seats for the class were full by the time his file was looked at. I don't want this to happen to me. What do you think?

All the schools that I applied to (except for a few that put me on hold until my score came in) had my primary and secondary before my MCAT score came out. If you know you're going to be held up by your MCAT score, be smart about it and have everything else done that you possibly can before your score comes out. That's why I ended up not being too late because essentially once my score came out (and BTW I faxed it to most of them so it would get there even sooner than AACOMAS could send it), my file was complete.

I can't comment on MD schools because I only applied DO. I went on 2 interviews, 1 in November and 1 in early January, and both schools were not anywhere near being full at that time. This is not to say that the same will hold true this application cycle.

Thanks prions. I really appreciate it.

I agree with a817, the allopathic application cycle is slightly ahead of the allopathic application timeline. I think you would have a better shot at both MD and DO schools if you applied earlier. Is there any way you can take the MCAT in July?
No :-/ Will my chances be too low to DO?

Let me add this: my GPA from freshman year was 2.86 (2.67 sGPA), sophomore + junior GPA = 3.6 (3.4 sGPA)

No problem! Good Luck! :luck:

BTW, I see that you're from TN so don't forget to apply to DCOM, it's De-Best! ;)

I definitely plan on it. I've heard a lot of good things about it from some friends who went to an open house.

No :-/ Will my chances be too low to DO?

Let me add this: my GPA from freshman year was 2.86 (2.67 sGPA), sophomore + junior GPA = 3.6 (3.4 sGPA)

The DO cycle is longer and less time sensitive, they get less applicants. Taking the august mcat really wont hurt you, if you application is complete before you take the mcat. It will only be a problem if you start your application when you get your mcat. Then you would be verified by November and thats late.

how would a person do if they have a 3.0 undergrad GPA in biological science and an incoming master from an ivy league.?
Would there be a shot at admission to DO school?

such as.. gpa (sci, non sci), masters gpa, and hopefully you have some ec's..

Yep. Look at my mdapplicants over

<<<<<<<<<<<<< there.

is there anyone on here who knows someone or is someone who has gotten into a DO school with a science GPA of below 3.0 (but a much higher non-science) and a decent mcat (25-27)??

i know there are a million other factors involved, but it would be nice to hear some success stories with these numbers. like i've mentioned before, i am confident in my LORs, extra curriculars, and dedication to the osteopathic philosophy. i just want to know that these things will all be considered and that schools will actually look at the fact that i've worked throughout my 4 yrs of undergrad (save one semester) due to financial necessity.