2009-2010 Marshall University (Edwards) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm very depressed

Members don't see this ad.

Got the call today literally 3 minutes before I had to park for my final interview (of 11!!!) at U of Cincinnati. Out of now 11 interviews, it was my 1st acceptance. I'm so thankful, and have been grinning all day (including at the interview lol). I bet I looked like a stoner with my goofy grin haha...

Best of luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call today literally 3 minutes before I had to park for my final interview (of 11!!!) at U of Cincinnati. Out of now 11 interviews, it was my 1st acceptance. I'm so thankful, and have been grinning all day (including at the interview lol). I bet I looked like a stoner with my goofy grin haha...

Best of luck to everyone else!

LOL that's so funny! Grinning through the whole interview and not being able to say why!

Wow, that's a LOT of interviews--I'm surprised you hadn't gotten your first acceptance sooner!

I guess I'll see you in class this Fall, if we both go to Marshall--if not, best of luck!

for those of you considering going to marshall (who have other acceptances)....go somewhere else :D

i'd love some waitlist movement in my life :thumbup:.

but congrats to everyone whose gotten in!

got the rejection letter from marshall today... I'm not sure how I got accepted by UVA and rejected by Marshall. This whole medschool thing is really a crapshoot. Good luck to all of you, I hope it works out!

got the rejection letter from marshall today... I'm not sure how I got accepted by UVA and rejected by Marshall. This whole medschool thing is really a crapshoot. Good luck to all of you, I hope it works out!

I got silently rejected by Howard (not even an interview, and I'm a local!) and accepted by Marshall OOS! The process really is a crapshoot!

Congrats on UVA though! Great school and if you're from VA, nice low tuition!

Does anyone know if there's a second look or anything later in this semester/summer for those accepted?

I didn't get any notifications that there would be a second look for us. I just spoke to Cindy yesterday about housing options and she didn't mention one, either.

Does anyone know if there's a second look or anything later in this semester/summer for those accepted?

what do you mean by "second look" ???? I thought once your accepted, your accepted. Can you explain what you meant?

what do you mean by "second look" ???? I thought once your accepted, your accepted. Can you explain what you meant?

Second look is just basically when you go visit the school again and take *your* second look to make sure you like it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any info on how many get in from the waitlist here? I think there is about 40-50 of us on the list...

I hear that decisions are going to be made sometime around the first ten days of May (possibly May 8th).

I hear that decisions are going to be made sometime around the first ten days of May (possibly May 8th).

Does anyone know (or have heard of) how many people OOS they usually take off the waitlist???

Thanks for the info!

I was wondering the same thing. I am guessing that since they interviewed ~95 OOS students and accepted ~25, and rejected some people as well, that the OOS waitlist (is there an in-state waitlist?) is ~50 people. I have no idea how much movement to expect.

Does anyone know (or have heard of) how many people OOS they usually take off the waitlist???

Thanks for the info!

I asked cindy when I interviewed in january and she said last year they only took 1 or 2 people off the waitlist (OOS)...

She also told me that they don't end up taking very many, but only 1 or 2, that's depressing.

To you anxious out-of-staters:

I may withdraw from Marshall if VCU or EVMS pulls me off of their wait-lists this week/next...I love Cindy and have had nothing but great experiences with Marshall's community so far, but I couldn't turn down in-state tuition, as it's half of Marshall's out-of-state rate:( Really though, if they do pull you off, you should be really happy, because Marshall seems like a great place to spend 4 years and get your medical education. They give me the warm-and-fuzzies :love:

withdrew my acceptance (OOS). best of luck to those still waiting! :luck:

withdrew my acceptance (OOS). best of luck to those still waiting! :luck:

Congrats!

For the rest of us, anyone heard from Cindy on whether or not any additional OOS acceptances have been given?

Thanks for the info!

I heard that they'll be meeting to fill a few of the open seats today or tomorrow.

i haven't heard anything yet. i am getting mentally prepared to retake my mcat :(

I was accepted yesterday. I think they filled a few spots yesterday. I am sure some more will open up in the coming weeks.

Be persistent. Call Cindy, send letters, get additional recommendations. Best of luck.

Withdrawing my acceptance here today, and it kills me because it felt like home...

Male/OOS....

Good luck all!

Persistence is definitely good advice... It's difficult to say what really moves the committee(s) one way or the other. To note my process (not knowing really whether it did me any good): 2 letters of intent/updates/reemphasis, 2 phone calls, 1 additional LOR from a FM doc.

I got the feeling however, that Marshall is more receptive to (moderate) continued communication, demonstrated interest than some others so it's worth your effort: you have nothing to lose in doing so.

p.s. all letters should be attn: Dean McKown, but can be emailed to Cindy and she'll hard copy them into your file for his viewing. If you have mistakenly only addressed it to "the committee" or Cindy only, he may not see it, so double check. This was Cindy's advice, just passing along--sounds like he's got the final say for the WL.

Good luck to all :luck: keep at it... it's darkest before the dawn!

I asked cindy when I interviewed in january and she said last year they only took 1 or 2 people off the waitlist (OOS)...

When I spoke to her last week her response [paraphrased] was: "Hard to say, last 3 years looked something like this... 4, 0, 10! No way to really know."

Sounds like already the turnover has been around 5, so another 5 is not outside the record books.

continued, demonstrated interest is key. good luck to those still waiting! I agree; this place felt like home.:luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.