2009-2010 Oregon Health & Sciences University (OHSU) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
--much cheaper to go to a well endowed private institution with plenty of financial aid.
Really? In what way? I haven't even looked at the financial aid concept for this - I always assumed that enough was available wherever you go... maybe that's stupid to assume?

OOS but very interested!!! 3.1-ish gpa but 38S MCAT and non-trad... so I'll give it my best shot! I heart Portland, and primary care is my aim.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an OOSer as well (from CA), but I love OHSU! It's definitely a reach for me being that my MCAT is a 28M (7 in VR). I guess I'll give it a shot anyway.

I'm an OOSer as well (from CA), but I love OHSU! It's definitely a reach for me being that my MCAT is a 28M (7 in VR). I guess I'll give it a shot anyway.

OHSU is pretty well known for making MCAT scores a lower priority. I don't think a 28 will eliminate you from having a chance at all. Good luck! It's my favorite too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,
quick question: I never got an acknowledge saying that they received my AMCAS application. I have gotten such email a long time ago from every other school I applied.

Do they send such acknowledge email ? should I worry about it and call them ?

Any info is appreciated.. thanks!

good luck to all...

Hello all,
quick question: I never got an acknowledge saying that they received my AMCAS application. I have gotten such email a long time ago from every other school I applied.

Do they send such acknowledge email ? should I worry about it and call them ?

Any info is appreciated.. thanks!

good luck to all...
secondary wont even be out for another week or so probably, no worries they are transitioning to an electornic format so things take time.

Any guesses on secondary application essay questions?

I hope they change. I didn't like the ones from last year. They asked you to list your employment and volunteer activities for the last 5 years! Haven't we already done enough of that? The "how will you evaluate your success as a medical studet" one wasn't so bad i guess.

I hope they change. I didn't like the ones from last year. They asked you to list your employment and volunteer activities for the last 5 years! Haven't we already done enough of that? The "how will you evaluate your success as a medical studet" one wasn't so bad i guess.

I think the list of activities is just so that they don't have to spend a ton of time reading everyone's experiences from the AMCAS application, especially if some applicants wrote a ton for each of them.

Can someone PM me the prompt so I can update it on the first post?

From their website, there's a 30% acceptance for OOSs. Is it worth applying?

From their website, there's a 30% acceptance for OOSs. Is it worth applying?
if u want to go yes. 30% is extremely high for OOS public school. Most are far less then that. They do interview a good number of and accept a number of OOS people.

So I tried to find out if OHSU had access to the Interfolio letters, even though they don't participate in the AMCAS Letters Service.

After 5 days of waiting for a reply this is what I got: "Please check our website." And she gave me this link (which I already knew).

So, I am still unclear if they can download the letters from Interfolio that my recommenders uploaded for the AMCAS app. Does anyone know what the deal is on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I tried to find out if OHSU had access to the Interfolio letters, even though they don't participate in the AMCAS Letters Service.

After 5 days of waiting for a reply this is what I got: "Please check our website." And she gave me this link (which I already knew).

So, I am still unclear if they can download the letters from Interfolio that my recommenders uploaded for the AMCAS app. Does anyone know what the deal is on this?
They do not accept amcas letters, you have to send them in to the school itself.

You can set up a delivery from interfolio to OHSU. $4.

Are people doing this pre secondary?
not sure, persoanlly i wouldnt send anything until after i at least get an email from them. It only takes like 3 days for the letters to get there so it wont hold anything up. you ciould always call them...

not sure, persoanlly i wouldnt send anything until after i at least get an email from them. It only takes like 3 days for the letters to get there so it wont hold anything up. you ciould always call them...

No, me either - just got a little confused by the questions and answers here.

I guess the person above asking about Interfolio doesn't realize that you can always have them snail mailed to schools that do not accept the electronic delivery...not sure why anybody would even be concerned about this now, before we even have a secondary to do.

No, me either - just got a little confused by the questions and answers here.

I guess the person above asking about Interfolio doesn't realize that you can always have them snail mailed to schools that do not accept the electronic delivery...not sure why anybody would even be concerned about this now, before we even have a secondary to do.
because to be a member of sdn as a pre-med its a pre-req that you are SUPER paranoid, overly worried, and above all insanely neurotic ;)

You can set up a delivery from interfolio to OHSU. $4.

Thank you for helping instead of explaining the obvious or presuming ignorance and/or neuroticism.

Note: OHSU's website does say they accept letters from Interfolio or VirtualEvals, as well as snail-mail letters. And for those concerned why I am thinking about this now... I like to plan ahead. :cool:

Crap. So it's better to send LORs after getting the secondary? I decided to send all of mine in today. It'll take about a week for them to get to the schools, though. :scared:

Crap. So it's better to send LORs after getting the secondary? I decided to send all of mine in today. It'll take about a week for them to get to the schools, though. :scared:
but they didn't ask you to send them? i thought the secondary wasn't being dispersed yet.

Hi, I'm not sure where you got this percentage. 30% is an astronomically high for any med school, IS or OOS. Last year's IS acceptance rate was roughly 1/6 and OOS is much lower considering 75% of the class is from Oregon but 91% of the total applications are from out-of-state. Hope this helps
I think that poster meant that the class is 30% OOS.

I think that poster meant that the class is 30% OOS.

Ohh, woops! I suppose that makes a little more sense :laugh:

Well, I just started up here and I will probably be checking into this thread every once in awhile to see if I can be of any help answering any questions. Good Luck everyone!

they should get the award for the latest secondaries EVER!!

i dont think i can write any more essays by the time they get to me and IF they do :p

i dont think i can write any more essays by the time they get to me and IF they do :p
lol well if its the same as the past few years they are really easy. Its taking forever because of the transition to online applications isntead of the normal paper ones. I for one would wait because i hate paper apps.

haha, that'd be funny if we got an email:

"OHSU will not be having a first year class for the fall of 2010. Thank you for your interest. See you next year."

I can only imagine how badly this post will be quoted in the next few hours.

you sent in your letters before even getting the screened secondary? did you request an interview date, too?:)

[QUOTE/]haha, that'd be funny if we got an email:

"OHSU will not be having a first year class for the fall of 2010. Thank you for your interest. See you next year."

I can only imagine how badly this post will be quoted in the next few hours.[/QUOTE]

I think what OneMCAT meant if s/he gets a secondary (as they are screened), not *if* OHSU decides to have a 2010 entering class

(hope you get one, OneMCAT:luck:)

haha, that'd be funny if we got an email:

I can only imagine how badly this post will be quoted in the next few hours.

:laugh: considering how late they are i wouldn't be too surprised :p

I think what OneMCAT meant if s/he gets a secondary (as they are screened), not *if* OHSU decides to have a 2010 entering class

(hope you get one, OneMCAT:luck:)

thanks kia :)

I actually had my letters sent in too because I have to send my letters to all of the institutions that aren't using AMCAS at one time (that is how my school works) so when I sent in my secondary from Albany, I had to send my letters to OHSU also...that is how it works for a lot of people...

Hm. I don't see how this is such an easy secondary- assuming they use the same prompt. Don't know how to write a page on such a nebulous topic.

I sent in my letters at the same time I submitted my primary and I got a call today from one of my letter writers saying that OHSU called her to ask about me. They asked her if she thought I would be a good doctor and why and what kind of student I am, etc. So maybe this is a good sign that I/we may be getting their secondary soon. (I'm OOS).

Didn't they say secondaries would be out late August? Pushing it kinda close huh?

Exactly my thoughts.
maybe its taking a longer time to transition to electronic then thought? maybe they dealing the incoming classes too, either way as long as we all havnt got it, its relaly not a huge deal.

maybe its taking a longer time to transition to electronic then thought? maybe they dealing the incoming classes too, either way as long as we all havnt got it, its relaly not a huge deal.

Yeah, I'm kinda busy right now with just starting school anyhow. This week has been so hectic that I literally don't even have time to eat, let alone write essays.

Yeah, I'm kinda busy right now with just starting school anyhow. This week has been so hectic that I literally don't even have time to eat, let alone write essays.

haha yeah I feel the same way. Even getting interview invites and trying to decide on dates for them is really stressful right now

I sent in my letters at the same time I submitted my primary and I got a call today from one of my letter writers saying that OHSU called her to ask about me. They asked her if she thought I would be a good doctor and why and what kind of student I am, etc. So maybe this is a good sign that I/we may be getting their secondary soon. (I'm OOS).

is this the norm? I've never heard of a school doing this

errrr isn't that what a letter of recommendation should address in the first place?

I was initially excited about Oregon cuz it seems very friendly to non-trad students but now not so sure I will do this 2nd...I'm one genetics class short of meeting the requirements (which I could theoretically take before next summer). Not to mention I'm done with all other secondaries and out of the essay-writing groove. Oh Oregon...

errrr isn't that what a letter of recommendation should address in the first place?

Yeah, she said that they asked her stuff that she wrote in the letter. I don't know why they would call and ask her stuff that she already told them; maybe to make sure I didn't fake the letter? Ha ha, IDK.

they should at least make their secondary essay-free for this year to make up for the delay and i will be really seriously immensely out of any energy to write one more essay after im done with all my secondaries hopefully this weekend :xf:

Seriously? more details, lol

Oh, and OHSU is my top choice! good luck to all :)

has no one gotten a secondary yet? hmmm... today is officially the end of "late August".

Congrats to lucky number 37 on the waitlist- wow. That number is so surprisingly low...

*Taps foot*

Are there any other schools that have not released a secondary?

I sent my primary to OHSU, but I am moving on - I have lost all interest in doing another secondary, and spending that money that I now need to pay for interview expenses...

Are there any other schools that have not released a secondary?

I sent my primary to OHSU, but I am moving on - I have lost all interest in doing another secondary, and spending that money that I now need to pay for interview expenses...
I don't think so.

I'm not going to move on, but I would probably be much more excited about the school if they had sent out secondaries and interview invites by now.

I don't think so.

I'm not going to move on, but I would probably be much more excited about the school if they had sent out secondaries and interview invites by now.

I was iffy on OHSU before this, but I seriously am cash strapped after buying some plane tickets for upcoming interviews. I am OOS, and their OOS tuition is outrageous.

Sounds like a neat school, but it is pretty interesting to read the dissatisfaction with it from instaters, and I don't think it is all sour grapes...I think this school has some real problems, and this late secondary may be the tip of the iceberg.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.