2009-2010 Saint Louis Unversity (SLU) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
going ok i guess...got most of my 2ndaries done only like 8 left and 4 of those are screened (kinda hoping i dont get it in some ways ahah). Got a rejection today though that hurt :(.
I was asking about med school, not that girl you've been stalkin' for the last month. Glad to see you finally manned up though. I'll make sure we hit up a few bars before med school starts. I'm sure I'll have plenty "we don't want what you're offering"s!

Members don't see this ad.

I was asking about med school, not that girl you've been stalkin' for the last month. Glad to see you finally manned up though. I'll make sure we hit up a few bars before med school starts. I'm sure I'll have plenty "we don't want what you're offering"s!
ahah nice one, guess theres always other to stalk :p..

Yesterday I applied to St. Louis University, this morning I got the secondary. Sent it back 3 hours later. Nice to see a school with some good customer service.

Hopefully they can reasonably quickly with interview invites/rejections.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yesterday I applied to St. Louis University, this morning I got the secondary. Sent it back 3 hours later. Nice to see a school with some good customer service.

Hopefully they can reasonably quickly with interview invites/rejections.

Lol not sure about that one, I've been complete for a while now.

Lol not sure about that one, I've been complete for a while now.

Yeah, I submitted less than two hours after it came out the first day, and I haven't receive any interview/rejection news. I hope they get back to us in early August (or this week would be nice too).

I'm not sure if I'm just totally incompetent, but has anyone else figured out how to check the status of our LOR? The SLU application said we could do it online, but I can't find the link for the life of me.

Also, ditto on waiting...I submitted over two weeks ago and still no news of whether or not I'm complete. Or maybe I just missed that link too...

I'm not sure if I'm just totally incompetent, but has anyone else figured out how to check the status of our LOR? The SLU application said we could do it online, but I can't find the link for the life of me.

Also, ditto on waiting...I submitted over two weeks ago and still no news of whether or not I'm complete. Or maybe I just missed that link too...

Same here, any idea? All it says is "Your application is complete", but no status of LOR.

I didn't apply to SLU. It's not from the email that I put on AMCAS so must be a MCAT score report thing that got them to send that

July 27, I got this from SLU and I never applied:

Dear Prospective Applicant,
Saint Louis University School of Medicine encourages applications from students who have achieved a high level of academic performance and who manifest in their personal lives those human qualities compatible with a career of service to society. The University's mission statement affirms the value of a diverse educational environment to prepare students for life and work in a global society. Beyond the important objective of training competent physicians who are scholars of human biology, the School strives to graduate physicians who manifest in their personal and professional attitudes that reflect the Jesuit spirit and values, and affect the physician's interactions with patients and colleagues, and with society.
For more information about the school, please visit our web site: http://medschool.slu.edu/admissions.
----------------------------------------------

I assume:

1) They are interested in me applying.
And/or
2) They are interested in my money.

I went ahead and applied. They immediately sent back a secondary which I completed. I am a nontraditional student with a Ph.D. and MS degrees in the Biological sciences, but very low MCAT score (That exam is complete crap), who is a Professor for several community colleges. So I figured, "Why not just apply?". I was shocked I got anything from them. Has anyone else received this email? Are they just trying to make money during these hard economic times? I wonder if they screen applicants directly off of AMCAS and target them to get them to apply. I heard about that in the past, a long time ago...like they know where you are applying..and thus want you also to apply to them (By them I mean the medical school).

Saint Louis University School of Medicine encourages applications from students who have achieved a high level of academic performance and who manifest in their personal lives those human qualities compatible with a career of service to society. The University's mission statement affirms the value of a diverse educational environment to prepare students for life and work in a global society. Beyond the important objective of training competent physicians who are scholars of human biology, the School strives to graduate physicians who manifest in their personal and professional attitudes that reflect the Jesuit spirit and values, and affect the physician's interactions with patients and colleagues, and with society.
For more information about the school, please visit our web site: http://medschool.slu.edu/admissions.

I assume:

And/or

I went ahead and applied. They immediately sent back a secondary which I completed. I am a nontraditional student with a Ph.D. and MS degrees in the Biological sciences, but very low MCAT score (That exam is complete crap), who is a Professor for several community colleges. So I figured, "Why not just apply?". I was shocked I got anything from them. Has anyone else received this email? Are they just trying to make money during these hard economic times? I wonder if they screen applicants directly off of AMCAS and target them to get them to apply. I heard about that in the past, a long time ago...like they know where you are applying..and thus want you also to apply to them (By them I mean the medical school).

I submitted a while back and got the same email it was prob from the MCAT.

I assume:

And/or

They immediately sent back a secondary? By email? By mail?

It's by email. They don't screen, so you get the secondary back fairly quickly...I think I got mine either that afternoon or the next morning after I sent my primary there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I probably don't have a chance. I am going to re-take my MCAT in the Spring. The MCAT means alot more than advanced degrees/accomplishments.....IMHO. :rolleyes: Sad that future physicians just end up being numbers, not human beings and are expected to treat patients as humans. Ironic.

So I realized that I forgot to mention that I earned my Eagle Scout on AMCAS. Is this even worth mentioning in the optional essay? Im not sure if it would look bad that I forgot to add it in the first place.:confused:

So I realized that I forgot to mention that I earned my Eagle Scout on AMCAS. Is this even worth mentioning in the optional essay? Im not sure if it would look bad that I forgot to add it in the first place.:confused:
its not going to look bad. If its part of your PS, or something important to you for w/e reason, I would add it. Just talk about that activity briefly or w/e u wanted.

Does anyone know if SLU sends a completion email? I submitted it a long time ago, but I haven't heard anything?

I don't believe so. If you log in to the application webpage it should say application complete in green letters under the status section.

Does anyone know if the photo has to be like an official passport photo? Or can it just be a photo of myself that I had on my computer that I cropped in a square to just include my face? The picture doesn't have anything crazy in it, its just that the background isn't a solid color.

I'm sure the cropped photo is fine. I think they just use it for verification purposes when you go to interview.

I just received a letter from SLU office of admissions. It was just an informational brochure!!khfklsjhfkl

lol, better than a rejection i guess.

Does anyone know if SLU sends a completion email? I submitted it a long time ago, but I haven't heard anything?

They don't send completion emails, but it should show complete when you check your status.

I just received a letter from SLU office of admissions. It was just an informational brochure!!khfklsjhfkl

lol, better than a rejection i guess.

yeah i got that this morning too! scared me half to death, mainly cuz i checked the mail immediately after rolling out of bed and i was still groggy.

guess we just keep waiting...

They don't send completion emails, but it should show complete when you check your status.

It shows the photo, md app certification, but says nothing about them uploading my letters or receiving them (I did it through AMCAS Letter Service). Does that mean I'm complete or should a letter thing also come up as checked?

It shows the photo, md app certification, but says nothing about them uploading my letters or receiving them (I did it through AMCAS Letter Service). Does that mean I'm complete or should a letter thing also come up as checked?

Oh, interesting! I just checked mine and I see what you mean, there's only one page with the photo and the entire filled out app. That's not how it was for me when I checked it a couple days ago. It used to be the normal secondary layout, and you click on the preview tab on the left and it had a small checklist and said complete. I was complete aroud 7/27

Edit: Nevermind, i think there's a possibility that I went straight to preview. It should say application complete in green if you're complete (like camaras said).. and they don't send 'complete' emails.

Last edited:

If the page says Application Complete in green, then you are good to go. If you are still concerned though, definitely call their office. The staff is friendly and helpful.

I got the brochure by mail. Seems like a nice place.

If the page says Application Complete in green, then you are good to go. If you are still concerned though, definitely call their office. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Thanks camaras! Application complete :)

Hmm... for a very minimal secondary, these guys are taking their sweet time on interviews, aren't they?

I really like these guys. The mission statement alone sold me on the school. Here's hoping!

I was in St. Louis this past week visiting family, and I was really hoping to get an invite from SLU while I was there. According to SDN, they started invites around August 13th last year.

I was in St. Louis this past week visiting family, and I was really hoping to get an invite from SLU while I was there. According to SDN, they started invites around August 13th last year.

running late this year, aren't they?

Yeahhh apparently they are running late. laaaame right? haha

Way I see it, they're working on my schedule. I'm always running a little late on these things... :p

Good thinking.:laugh:

It's kind of like when you're running late for class, but you get there and the professor's late, too?

If you get there before them, you're on time.:D

Just to make sure I'm not missing anything, there aren't really any additional essays or anything for SLU, right? Just the "Describe your Activities this year" one? (Because I won't be a full time student).

Just to make sure I'm not missing anything, there aren't really any additional essays or anything for SLU, right? Just the "Describe your Activities this year" one? (Because I won't be a full time student).

there's the optional one that only shows up if you click "yes" to the "any other information you want to share?"-like question.

I didn't do it, and now thinking about it I probably should have. Oh well.

This school has some unique values in their mission statement that don't overlap really with other schools that I'm applying to....

very cool.

When were y'all complete? I sent everything in on the July 30th. no news..

Last edited:
Interview invite via e-mail! I was complete late-ish in July. I didn't write an optional essay (I was a bit worried about that).

I didn't write the essay either, and I got one too! September 21st. I wish there was more flexibility in the days available (M/T only), but whatever....

Also, apparently they don't need your letters to invite you, because mine isn't in.

This school has some unique values in their mission statement that don't overlap really with other schools that I'm applying to....

very cool.

I know, right? Really some fantastic stuff. Gotta love Jesuit schools.

Interview invites today, huh? Exciting stuff... *crosses fingers*

I didn't get invited and I think I did write the optional essay.

Maybe they don't want to read essays yet. I submitted the secondary two hours after they sent them out and did not do the optional essay, so I hope my not having an invite is not a bad sign...

complete 7/14, got an interview, no essay..

ALL THE MONDAY DATES ARE GONE, soo fast. God.

Was there a formal "complete" email or just when the status page shows that everything was submitted by? I had everything on the 9th of July...

Status
Not open for further replies.