2010-2011 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? Please note: You have a maximum of 5000 characters to complete this essay.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I love Georgetown... hopefully I'll find a way to stand out against the other 13k+ applicants

Members don't see this ad :)
according to their website, georgetown's secondary will be released friday the 9th

Just got it, but the website is broken, so don't know the essay yet.

Come on essay that isn't "Why Georgetown"
I hate those essays

Hi guys, I just got the secondary from Georgetown today as well. I am trying to decide whether I should submit it or withdraw. In the e-mail they do emphasize the 3.6 Science GPA and the 30 MCAT. I have a 29 MCAT, however, a 3.4 Cumulative GPA. The science GPA is probably lower than that. Given the number of applicants they have at the school, should I just save my $130?

Please give feedbacks. I appreciate it.

Haha last year it was "why Georgetown".. so im expecting more of the same..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I just got the secondary from Georgetown today as well. I am trying to decide whether I should submit it or withdraw. In the e-mail they do emphasize the 3.6 Science GPA and the 30 MCAT. I have a 29 MCAT, however, a 3.4 Cumulative GPA. The science GPA is probably lower than that. Given the number of applicants they have at the school, should I just save my $130?

Please give feedbacks. I appreciate it.

I'd like to know too. I have a cGPA of 3.99 and sGPA of 4.0, but a 28 MCAT :(. Is it worth paying the $130 to apply here?

I don't know Georgetown's stats off the top of my head and I don't have my MSAR right now.

bpost 137, the MSAR says Georgetown has an average of 3.7 and 32 MCAT. What worries me is that out of the 10732 applicants (according to MSAR), I'm sure it is very competitive. However, you have a ridiculously high GPA. If I were you I'd still apply. Good luck!

I'd like to know too. I have a cGPA of 3.99 and sGPA of 4.0, but a 28 MCAT :(. Is it worth paying the $130 to apply here?

I don't know Georgetown's stats off the top of my head and I don't have my MSAR right now.

Do you not understand what "mean" means? You should be fine.

rockclimber -- I am with you. My science GPA might be a standard deviation too low from their mean, and it might not be worth it. But then again, i imagine they get alot of students with 3.9+s so they probably can average out with some 3.3 Gpas too.
-- They do interview 10% of all the people who apply... which why isn't very high... if you have a good applications, you might have a chance. If you can afford the $130 I would apply and take your chances.

It says in the secondary, "In 2009-2010, the School of Medicine received 11,549 AMCAS applications. Of the 7,306 completed applications, 1,151 individuals were interviewed to seat a class of 196 students."

It's crazy that over 4000 people listed Georgetown on their primary but didn't complete the secondary app. :eek:
So there's really about a 1/7 chance of getting interviewed, which isn't great but it seems to be about par for the course huh?

Avoidthetiger and FutureDr8429033, thanks for the feedback. As far as my whole application is considered, I have multiple EC, work, research, volunteer experience, attended a 10 week summer pre-medical enrichment at a med school, and was deployed with the military to afghanistan for a yr in 2009. But I am just afraid that they'd toss out my application once they see the stats. I guess I will never know until I apply. I will think about it some more.

It says in the secondary, "In 2009-2010, the School of Medicine received 11,549 AMCAS applications. Of the 7,306 completed applications, 1,151 individuals were interviewed to seat a class of 196 students."

It's crazy that over 4000 people listed Georgetown on their primary but didn't complete the secondary app. :eek:
So there's really about a 1/7 chance of getting interviewed, which isn't great but it seems to be about par for the course huh?

I feel like those odds aren't bad at all compared to some other schools lol

I was about to be one of those 4000 applicants, because I was deterred by the secondary question from last year...but my friend said "don't be stupid..just fill it out".

I've yet to receive this year's secondary though, oddly enough. I guess I'll continue waiting and start "brainstorming" why Georgetown...

I was about to be one of those 4000 applicants, because I was deterred by the secondary question from last year...but my friend said "don't be stupid..just fill it out".

I've yet to receive this year's secondary though, oddly enough. I guess I'll continue waiting and start "brainstorming" why Georgetown...

Yeah, I spent like an hour looking through their website for this question. They have a decent amount of material IMO. The only thing I couldn't find a lot of specific info on was rotations, but I might have just missed it or something.

Hi All! I am new to SDN, so please forgive me if this formatting turns out funky! :-/

I had a quick question about the Georgetown app. I was just verified and wanted to jump start on the secondary here. Would anyone be willing to share the word count for it?

Thanks a bundle! :)

Hi All! I am new to SDN, so please forgive me if this formatting turns out funky! :-/

I had a quick question about the Georgetown app. I was just verified and wanted to jump start on the secondary here. Would anyone be willing to share the word count for it?

Thanks a bundle! :)

Welcome to SDN!

The character count is 5000. You can either type it right into a box on the online application, or you can type it in a word document and upload it instead.

Yeah, I spent like an hour looking through their website for this question. They have a decent amount of material IMO. The only thing I couldn't find a lot of specific info on was rotations, but I might have just missed it or something.

Oh, I "couldn't" find a "lot" of interesting information about GT on their website..(initially when I was looking) but as I'm spending more time on it, you're right..I'm slowly gaining some insight into the programs they have..and the university is growing on me...except, they haven't offered me a secondary yet, so maybe I'm just not wanted lol. (Kidding, I know they don't screen)

There is a lot of speculation going on here... did anyone manage to actually see the secondary essay? I am logged in and the site is not working properly. Any luck anyone?

There is a lot of speculation going on here... did anyone manage to actually see the secondary essay? I am logged in and the site is not working properly. Any luck anyone?

It's exactly the same as last year, I just filled it out and it worked for me so that's weird. Here they are:

" Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application?" (optional)

"Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? Please note: You have a maximum of 5000 characters (about 1 single-spaced page in Times New Roman font) to complete this essay.)"​

It's exactly the same as last year, I just filled it out and it worked for me so that's weird. Here they are:

" Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application?" (optional)

"Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? Please note: You have a maximum of 5000 characters (about 1 single-spaced page in Times New Roman font) to complete this essay.)"​

Thanks for posting it! Is there any limit to the first question? Or did that 5000 character limit apply to both questions?

In the e-mail they do emphasize the 3.6 Science GPA and the 30 MCAT.

I didn't receive this email (my primary isn't verified yet), so I interpreted this as the cutoff or something, not the mean. So I freaked out :p

Thanks for the encouraging words! :) My combination of high GPA/low MCAT makes it difficult for me to realistically know my chances at schools.

Do you not understand what "mean" means? You should be fine.

rockclimber -- I am with you. My science GPA might be a standard deviation too low from their mean, and it might not be worth it. But then again, i imagine they get alot of students with 3.9+s so they probably can average out with some 3.3 Gpas too.
-- They do interview 10% of all the people who apply... which why isn't very high... if you have a good applications, you might have a chance. If you can afford the $130 I would apply and take your chances.

bpost 137, the MSAR says Georgetown has an average of 3.7 and 32 MCAT. What worries me is that out of the 10732 applicants (according to MSAR), I'm sure it is very competitive. However, you have a ridiculously high GPA. If I were you I'd still apply. Good luck!

Thanks for posting it! Is there any limit to the first question? Or did that 5000 character limit apply to both questions?

Whoops, sorry, it's 1000 chars for that essay

I didn't receive this email (my primary isn't verified yet), so I interpreted this as the cutoff or something, not the mean. So I freaked out :p

Thanks for the encouraging words! :) My combination of high GPA/low MCAT makes it difficult for me to realistically know my chances at schools.

I had the same gut reaction when I saw the email specifically mentioned the sGPA .. my MCAT and cGPA are up to the median (according to MSAR), but my sGPA's lower .. it's the weakest part of my app, so hopefully all the other stuff will help ..ahhh

I had the same gut reaction when I saw the email specifically mentioned the sGPA .. my MCAT and cGPA are up to the median (according to MSAR), but my sGPA's lower .. it's the weakest part of my app, so hopefully all the other stuff will help ..ahhh

I'm the same! It's just my MCAT... hopefully everything else in my app will make up for my MCAT score :p... Let's cross our fingers :)

Sorry if I came out sounding harsh. I thought you got the email already. But no -- you should be fine with your Stats :)

I also received the secondary today. I am leaving it for the week end. Good luck everyone. G'town is great and I love DC.

Yup, got secondary too and going to work on this weekend. GL!

Hey! Is anyone writing anything for the optional "Further Information" section (1000 characters max)? Do you think they only want you to explain some potential problem with your application (like if you had a low GPA semester for some personal reason), or would it be appropriate to write a mini-essay about ourselves? I don't want to write anything unnecessarily, but I don't want to leave it out if I should write something. Thanks!

Hey! Is anyone writing anything for the optional "Further Information" section (1000 characters max)? Do you think they only want you to explain some potential problem with your application (like if you had a low GPA semester for some personal reason), or would it be appropriate to write a mini-essay about ourselves? I don't want to write anything unnecessarily, but I don't want to leave it out if I should write something. Thanks!

^^ I was about to ask the same question. I'm not really sure if they want to know about us or if it is a space that should just be used if we absolutely need it.

^^ I was about to ask the same question. I'm not really sure if they want to know about us or if it is a space that should just be used if we absolutely need it.

I wrote something, but it's a narrative about one of my extracurriculars (working during the school year and how it affected me)..so I think my story is valid. If you guys have something "enlightening" to the adcom about "something" in your app, I'd say go for it.

One thing I do want to ask though...on the main webpage where the required secondary question is, it asks about "Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? Please note: You have a maximum of 5000 characters (about 1 single-spaced page in Times New Roman font) to complete this essay.) *";

if you go to the "check your application" section, it says that I have not yet completed the Application Essay section, where the prompt is "Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine and what was your most frutiful and fulfilling experience to date? *"

Is that some sort of glitch?

I wouldn't use that short essay space unless you have something additional you wish to convey. For example, I've graduated and will be working until I matriculate (admissions willing) next year so I mentioned what kind of work I'll be doing in two sentences. I'd seriously suggest not writing a mini-essay about personal attributes. Weave that into your longer essay.

the more you make them read.... the more they hate you. On the other hand... too little... and you're fuked...

Hey guys, I have a question about this one. I took dual enrollment classes in high school, which I was forced to include on my AMCAS. At my undergraduate institution I earned a 3.81 ao and 3.81 bcpm GPA, but because these high school credits are included in my "undergraduate GPA" on the AMCAS, they drag my bcpm down to a 3.64 and my ao to a 3.71. Long story short- should I ask the adcoms to look specifically at my actual transcripts, or would that be rude and excessive? Thanks all.

I should also mention the dual enrollment credits did not contribute to my degrees. They are totally unrelated and if I had known at age 16 they would show up on my AMCAS, I never would have done it.

Hey guys, I have a question about this one. I took dual enrollment classes in high school, which I was forced to include on my AMCAS. At my undergraduate institution I earned a 3.81 ao and 3.81 bcpm GPA, but because these high school credits are included in my "undergraduate GPA" on the AMCAS, they drag my bcpm down to a 3.64 and my ao to a 3.71. Long story short- should I ask the adcoms to look specifically at my actual transcripts, or would that be rude and excessive? Thanks all.

I think it's necessary to do that...Since AMCAS breaks up GPAs by year, they'll be able to see something is "off" with your calculations when they look at your FR, SO, JR, and SR years vs. HS

Last edited:
Alrighty...question: so in the GT application, there is a "post-submission updates" section...in that section, there is a heading that says "Interview" and then it has the option to upload a photograph in a word document. Do we do that only if we are invited for an interview or do we need to do that as part of our secondary? does anyone know? Thanks!

Also, are we going to get "complete" emails? I sent my application away last night and no confirmation or "secondary received" email at all. (unlike other schoools)

Last edited:
I think it's necessary to do that...Since AMCAS breaks up GPAs by year, they'll be able to see something is "off" with your calculations when they look at your FR, SO, JR, and SR years vs. HS

I think you meant you DO NOT think it's necessary- yes? Thanks

sorry if this is a stupid question, but whats the georgetown university ID/Net ID? Does that only apply to georgetown undergrads or something?

To answer your qu estion Prism, I would ASSUME that it's for GT undergraduates, or anyone who has a reason for having that number...It's not a required field, so don't give it too much stress.

Also, has anyone that submitted received a confirmation email? I noticed on the website that they said they will email us a confirmation...but I never got one?

Status
Not open for further replies.