2010-2011 Harvard Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you're an incoming freshman, not a rising freshman.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone get a complete email from Harvard? I havent heard anything from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody else still waiting for a complete email? amcas has had my letters since 7/8 and i submitted the first day the secondary came out. i imagine they got a ton of applications that day though!

I just got a complete email yesterday and my secondary was submitted on 8/10.

submitted 8.1 received complete 8.24 letters in around 8.3

My best friend just got an interview! He said he turned in the secondary pretty soon after it came out. They sent him an email

just got an interview! i didnt think this was possible omg :luck:

yea, last year the invites weren't given out till mid-late september... and u guys have 2 posts... r you trying to troll us? 0_o

I received an interview invite by email earlier today as well!!

I love Boston in the fall : )

Wow, congrats to you guys! Enjoy the Longwood campus. It's a bustling, hospital-filled area full of amazing people. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ZOMG. I don't even have a complete email and I submitted in early July. Oh dear. But still, I'm cool... as evidenced by the :cool:.

Wow, congrats to you guys! Enjoy the Longwood campus. It's a bustling, hospital-filled area full of amazing people. :)

haha don't I know that place well. I went to high school in that area, interned at HMS during college summers. >.< maybe (with any luck) I'll spend the rest of my life on longwood

Love the little envy I get from reading all the posts from the excited young'uns.
=)

Good luck guys!

Do you guys have complete email? I submitted in early Aug. I called twice during the past few days, and they say they have all my stuffs ready (secondary, letter, fee......), but still not processed to be "Complete" yet. Is there anyone on the same boad?

Do you guys have complete email? I submitted in early Aug. I called twice during the past few days, and they say they have all my stuffs ready (secondary, letter, fee......), but still not processed to be "Complete" yet. Is there anyone on the same boad?

No email here yet. But following Cole's timeline it is too early. I have been complete now for just a week.

Has anyone received an MSTP prompt for either the HST or HMS path? I'd really like to see both and doubt they'll omit these essays. :mad:

Maybe the prompt for MSTP via HST is the same as the MD path via HST...

I mean when I called them, they said they have received everything (Secondary, Fee, and Letters...), so I was considered to be "Complete status". But I havn't been "Processed" (I didn't receive the complete email yet). Based on my understanding, "Not processed" means I wasn't sent out to be under review.

I don't know what's the different between "Complete" and "Processed". Cuz most schools do the two procedure together. They sent you "Complete Email" once you are marked as complete, meanwhile sending your package to the reviewers. So I'm now a bit anxious :confused: Could anybody who has similar experience provide me some suggestions? What should I do? I submit my secondary on 8/3/2010 with no complete email so far.

Thank you so much :) :thumbup:

I mean when I called them, they said they have received everything (Secondary, Fee, and Letters...), so I was considered to be "Complete status". But I havn't been "Processed" (I didn't receive the complete email yet). Based on my understanding, "Not processed" means I wasn't sent out to be under review.

I don't know what's the different between "Complete" and "Processed". Cuz most schools do the two procedure together. They sent you "Complete Email" once you are marked as complete, meanwhile sending your package to the reviewers. So I'm now a bit anxious :confused: Could anybody who has similar experience provide me some suggestions? What should I do? I submit my secondary on 8/3/2010 with no complete email so far.

Thank you so much :) :thumbup:

Got a complete email today .....

I think the difference is that someone has to check that you indeed have everything "and it meets their standards" which is when you then will be marked as complete/processed.

Patience buddy...

Umm does anyone know why my paragraph breaks keep disappearing from my HST essay? Do you think they will still show up in the actual application the adcom receives? Or is it going to look like an awful 1 page long paragraph?

Thanks!

I received an interview invite by email earlier today as well!!

I love Boston in the fall : )

just got an interview! i didnt think this was possible omg :luck:

My best friend just got an interview! He said he turned in the secondary pretty soon after it came out. They sent him an email

do you guys mind posting when you submitted/completed the app? I received the confirmation email 8/13 - been 2 weeks and i'm super eager!!

Thanks!

Secondary Received: 7/29
Submitted: 8/3
Complete Email: 8/10
Interview Invite: 8/26

Got a complete email today .....

I think the difference is that someone has to check that you indeed have everything "and it meets their standards" which is when you then will be marked as complete/processed.

Patience buddy...

Thank you so much. Good luck!:luck:

Umm does anyone know why my paragraph breaks keep disappearing from my HST essay? Do you think they will still show up in the actual application the adcom receives? Or is it going to look like an awful 1 page long paragraph?

Thanks!

Actually I also tried several times before I submitted. Basically it is just "a super long paragraph", while someone told me that you could put a stretch of spaces at your intended breaks between paragraphs.

Last edited:
good luck to everyone. this thread brings back memories.

2 words of advice about interview day...

1. don't take the nonchalant attitude of the admissions office personally. they interview 1000+ applicants. they don't care about you till you are accepted. revisit is where the magic happens.

2. don't ask first years, "how's medical school?" "how's harvard?"...especially you people interviewing in october...we will have only had real classes for a little over a month. we know nothing. ask 2nd years.

good luck!

Does anyone know what the deal with the combined programs is? It seems that, for instance, you should apply to MD/MPH as a medical student. How could you apply concurrently then? If I am interested in the MPH, should I select the combined program and write the essay but not fill out an MPH applications? Help!

if someone marked complete after me hears back before me, does that mean anything??
:scared:

Interview Invite last week!

Complete around 7/30

I submitted my secondary but didn't finalize it. Now it wont let me modify my HMS essay. Is this normal or a glitch?

Just got a complete email.
I feel like I submitted this application months ago.

Just got a complete email.
I feel like I submitted this application months ago.

I just got a complete email also. Submitted secondary 7/29. But i know they got all my info 10 days ago.

Has anyone else received two emails stating that the application has been verified as complete.

I submitted, finalized and paid the secondary fee on 8/24. I a received the first complete email 8/26. Now, 12 days later I received the same message again.

I called the admissions office today and was told to NOT select this joint program on the secondary application. Students apply in their second year to it. Just send an email indicating your interest in the program so the committee knows.

Interview invite just now! oh my goodness I didn't think this was possible! I wasn't even going to apply....

Complete 9/7, good luck everyone! :)

For anyone interviewing today, I will be your tour guide for the day. Good luck! and feel free to pepper me with questions during the tour.

FYI, echoing Jolt, don't take the indifferent attitude of the admissions office very seriously. HMS does care very much about it's students and will be an awesome place for those of you fortunate enough to be admitted. For those of you who have downtime between 1:30 PM and 4 PM, we have social medicine and you are welcome to sit in on our lectures and in tutorials (AKA PBL). I did when I interviewed last year and really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
For anyone interviewing today, I will be your tour guide for the day. Good luck! and feel free to pepper me with questions during the tour.

FYI, echoing Jolt, don't take the indifferent attitude of the admissions office very seriously. HMS does care very much about it's students and will be an awesome place for those of you fortunate enough to be admitted. For those of you who have downtime between 1:30 PM and 4 PM, we have social medicine and you are welcome to sit in on our lectures and in tutorials (AKA PBL). I did when I interviewed last year and really enjoyed it.
LOL @ pepper me with questions .... Complete a couple of days ago... crossing fingers for an interview invite!!!

If you are selected for interviews, you will receive adequate notice to make appropriate arrangements in Boston. Applicants selected for interviews will have been notified by the end of January. Offers of acceptance will be made from this group. All applicants will be notified of our final decision in March. What does this mean?

I believe that means that if you're selected for interviews, you'll get notified in plenty of time. You also won't be receiving an invite after January. You won't hear back until March.

...I mean, really?
Hahahahaa +1

Just FYI everyone, the interview window they offer you is actually kind of short - in my recent interview invite, you can interview on a selection of dates (a combination of MTRF for sure, not sure if they had weds) between now and the middle of October only. I didn't have any availability after that, so you will have to choose from dates within 4 weeks of your invite I think.

Anyways, 36/3.7c/3.5s. I think I have above average activities and "experiences," but I'm not that stellar academically. Still, yay Harvard! =D

Secondary submitted 9/4, complete email today, 9/21. I hate all this waiting.

Just FYI everyone, the interview window they offer you is actually kind of short - in my recent interview invite, you can interview on a selection of dates (a combination of MTRF for sure, not sure if they had weds) between now and the middle of October only. I didn't have any availability after that, so you will have to choose from dates within 4 weeks of your invite I think.

Anyways, 36/3.7c/3.5s. I think I have above average activities and "experiences," but I'm not that stellar academically. Still, yay Harvard! =D

What undergrad do you go to? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.