2010-2011 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume most of that will come from the waitlist just so they dont overaccept.

That's probably true. Based on what Passwords said, a large part of the class will likely be from the waitlist.

If anyone is curious, http://medicalschoolsinusa.com/ gives you the number of applicants, interviewees, and acceptances given for each school (obviously not including Hofstra).

Members don't see this ad.

Want to make a bet? Even Johns Hopkins has to accept more than twice their class size to actually fill it. A new medical school will very likely need to accept twice the total number of slots as well, especially since many people would rather go to an established medical school rather than 'risk' it at a new one. LIJ is a great system so I think many people will overestimate that risk but it will definitely play a factor. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to accept ~120 people when all is said and done to fill their class.

not true. their class size is 40 firm. its going to be a long waitlist because they are not allowed to accept any more. they pitched the school at my undergrad and said the class sizes would be
40 for 2015,
60 for 2016,
80 for 2017,
and 100 for 2018
after that, they have to evaluate their class size.

im guessing they'll accept exactly 40 very late into the cycle. then they'll batch 10-20 people and accept them all at once.

You didn't read what I said. No one is saying they won't have a class size of 40, but to have that class size, they will have to accept more than 40 people. Based on what other med schools have to do, I'm guessing Hofstra will accept a total of 120 people, including people accepted off the waitlist. Will they only accept 40 before May 15? Possibly, although that would certainly be very conservative. The reality is that it doesn't matter when you are accepted though, so the total number of acceptances is the important number.

Members don't see this ad :)
not true. their class size is 40 firm. its going to be a long waitlist because they are not allowed to accept any more. they pitched the school at my undergrad and said the class sizes would be
40 for 2015,
60 for 2016,
80 for 2017,
and 100 for 2018
after that, they have to evaluate their class size.

im guessing they'll accept exactly 40 very late into the cycle. then they'll batch 10-20 people and accept them all at once.

Being accepted is different than matriculating. For example, all of the first 40 students accepted will not matriculate (its likely many won't, because these students will probably have been accepted at other schools). That is what is meant by "accepting 120-140". When accepted students give up their spot, the school has to start accepting more.

You guys are all saying the same thing, but from different angles. Yes, they will try to keep strictly to 40 students for the inaugural class, as per the LCME regulation. Moreover, it is true that new schools like Hoftsra-NSLIJ will have to accept well over 40 people to fill the class. The point I think that was trying to be made is that they will have to be more conservative about giving out acceptances during the application process because they cannot have, for instance, 60 people attending their school the first year. Established medical schools like Downstate or Einstein can accept well over their normal class size early on in the application process because they have the flexibility of choosing how many people can attend their school.

Hope that clarifies

guys think its too early to write a letter of intent?

Got the interview invite today!!!

complete 10/27!!

OOS!!

You didn't read what I said. No one is saying they won't have a class size of 40, but to have that class size, they will have to accept more than 40 people. Based on what other med schools have to do, I'm guessing Hofstra will accept a total of 120 people, including people accepted off the waitlist. Will they only accept 40 before May 15? Possibly, although that would certainly be very conservative. The reality is that it doesn't matter when you are accepted though, so the total number of acceptances is the important number.

ok so technically they will accept well over 40 (by that estimate, id guess over 300 though). my point is they cant send out more than 40 until the number of people they havent heard back from yet is very small, like 5-10 at most. theyre not allowed more than a 40 person class so they cant risk overshooting like other schools.

Interview Invite today!!! Complete 8/31...thought I was silently rejected for sure. SO excited! :D

ok so technically they will accept well over 40 (by that estimate, id guess over 300 though). my point is they cant send out more than 40 until the number of people they havent heard back from yet is very small, like 5-10 at most. theyre not allowed more than a 40 person class so they cant risk overshooting like other schools.

Right, I agree they will have to be conservative when sending out acceptances. My point was just that although the numbers are tough here with only 40 spots, it's actually slightly better numbers since many more will have to be accepted.

Interview Invite today!!! Complete 8/31...thought I was silently rejected for sure. SO excited! :D

Congrats! I have also been complete since August without hearing anything. Mind sharing your stats?

Interview invite today! Scheduled for January 11th woo!!

Members don't see this ad :)
My application for the MD/PhD program was received on November 11th and I received an interview request yesterday. Does anyone know if the MSTP program is fully funded? I have rarely heard of programs that aren't, but I'm concerned given that its new.

My application for the MD/PhD program was received on November 11th and I received an interview request yesterday. Does anyone know if the MSTP program is fully funded? I have rarely heard of programs that aren't, but I'm concerned given that its new.

I just got the MD/PhD invite too. I'll be there on Jan 13. Not sure about the whole funding thing.

IMO, I would think that the MSTP program is fully funded. Feinstein, the affiliate for research through NSLIJ, is a very well established and successful research institute. It would be very surprising if they did not give students a stipend.

Do you guys think its too late to add this school on my AMCAS as I just found out about it. Lower than Avg GPA, good MCAT and bunch of ecs..

Thanks!

Do you guys think its too late to add this school on my AMCAS as I just found out about it. Lower than Avg GPA, good MCAT and bunch of ecs..

Thanks!

What do you have to lose? It's a great school and they don't start accepting until January.

What do you have to lose? It's a great school and they don't start accepting until January.

Thanks!

I agree with TJChamp. they said they will look at all AMCAS applicants equally before they send out acceptances. Why not give it a shot.

Thanks!
During the interview, they said that they'll wait until they receive all the applications to give acceptances, so if you like the school, I would apply.

Thanks!

If you truly like the idea of going to a new school, then give it a shot. Keep in mind this school will NOT be a safety at all, with only 40 slots and many applicants.

Hey guys!

Thanks a ton for the feedback. I really want to apply but the only question is that are interview slots still available because its late in the game...

Hey guys!

Thanks a ton for the feedback. I really want to apply but the only question is that are interview slots still available because its late in the game...

It sounded like the Admin were telling us that no matter when you apply this year, they will interview you if you are a candidate they are interested in. So to answer your question, I believe you still have a shot. Hope this helps

Canceling my 12/17 interview date! I figure that my chances are pretty slim at this place anyway given the number of interviewees. Good luck!

Anyone else get an UPDATE letter from Hofstra explaining that they are still working hard to pick people for the class?

The subject line "Your Application to Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine" was a bit nerve wracking because it seems like anything except the words Congratulations or Accepted in the subject line is bad news

Anyone else get an UPDATE letter from Hofstra explaining that they are still working hard to pick people for the class?

The subject line "Your Application to Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine" was a bit nerve wracking because it seems like anything except the words Congratulations or Accepted in the subject line is bad news

Yep, and my heart stopped for a good minute when I saw it. :p

Agreed! I was thinking that Hofstra was one school I didn't have to worry about until after Christmas/New Years, so when I saw that e-mail my heart was in my throat. I'd bet the gas station attendant I was about to pay when I froze in fear probably thinks I'm crazy.

Good luck everyone! And enjoy not being on the edge of your seat (at least for this school) for a few more weeks! :luck:

Hey, cancelled my interview for Monday, Dec. 13 if it is helpful for anyone :)

I did not get this email... could this be a sign of a forthcoming preinterview rejection?

I did not get this email... could this be a sign of a forthcoming preinterview rejection?

The email was specifically for people that have already interviewed, so you wouldn't have received it.

Hey guys,
I just joined the forum today and as it says in the title, I submitted my application on December 1st. What should I be expecting at this point?

Hey guys,
I just joined the forum today and as it says in the title, I submitted my application on December 1st. What should I be expecting at this point?

A long wait.

But as Hofstra has said, they're reviewing all applicants up to the deadline and not doing rolling admissions. They are picking the class near the end of the cycle so you should still have a chance, granted you're a competitive applicant. Keep in mind that Hofstra can only have 40 students matriculate, so even though they are interviewing ~600 supposedly, that acceptances will be few and far between.. but my theory is they will waitlist a lot of applicants, knowing that as a new school other very competitive applicants may go elsewhere.

A long wait.

But as Hofstra has said, they're reviewing all applicants up to the deadline and not doing rolling admissions. They are picking the class near the end of the cycle so you should still have a chance, granted you're a competitive applicant. Keep in mind that Hofstra can only have 40 students matriculate, so even though they are interviewing ~600 supposedly, that acceptances will be few and far between.. but my theory is they will waitlist a lot of applicants, knowing that as a new school other very competitive applicants may go elsewhere.

Thanks. Hoping to get an email for supplementary Application. Have u gotten an interview or had an interview? Would you share your experience?

Thanks. Hoping to get an email for supplementary Application. Have u gotten an interview or had an interview? Would you share your experience?

Nope. I applied late myself though I had intended to for a long time. Long story, personal circumstances.

Good luck though! Everyone has spoken highly of their interview experience so far, those who had attended from this thread.

I'm interviewing this Thursday and I noticed on the website that you can take a shuttle from Hempstead station to the campus. The interview day starts at 8:00 but the first shuttle arrives at the Student Center (closest drop-off point to the SOM) from the station at 8:12am. Anyone else notice this? I'm assuming most people take taxis after they get off the LIRR at Hempstead?

Yup I would take a taxi just because even if you take the shuttle and were okay with being a few minutes late...it would take you some time to walk to the SOM..the buildings at Hofstra are pretty spaced out..so to be on the safe side, I think a taxi would be better.

I'm interviewing this Thursday and I noticed on the website that you can take a shuttle from Hempstead station to the campus. The interview day starts at 8:00 but the first shuttle arrives at the Student Center (closest drop-off point to the SOM) from the station at 8:12am. Anyone else notice this? I'm assuming most people take taxis after they get off the LIRR at Hempstead?

Someone my interview day took the shuttle to the interview in the AM; I drove. I'd call the admin office to ask instead of posting on this board, since none of knows the answer.
The early part of the day was eating muffins/bagels and drinking coffee, so if you arrive at 8:12 you should be fine if your day is like mine was.

I would take a taxi since they do start at 8:00 sharp. On the way back, they actually dropped students off at their hotel/train station.

Yup I would take a taxi just because even if you take the shuttle and were okay with being a few minutes late...it would take you some time to walk to the SOM..the buildings at Hofstra are pretty spaced out..so to be on the safe side, I think a taxi would be better.

Someone my interview day took the shuttle to the interview in the AM; I drove. I'd call the admin office to ask instead of posting on this board, since none of knows the answer.
The early part of the day was eating muffins/bagels and drinking coffee, so if you arrive at 8:12 you should be fine if your day is like mine was.

I would take a taxi since they do start at 8:00 sharp. On the way back, they actually dropped students off at their hotel/train station.

Thanks everyone for the advise.

Hoya, I ended up contacting the school also, and they said it would cause me less stress if I just took a taxi there. So that pretty much confirms what SS01 and atu7 suggested.

Thanks again.

Interview Invite todayyy!!!!

Soooo excited!! I logged into schedule and a date was open on January 28th which is PERFECT bc my boss is on vacation also! I logged back in 10 minutes later and the date was gone, I had to schedule for Feb 4. Has anyone had luck changing their interview dates??

I'm sooooo excited!!

Interview Invite todayyy!!!!

Soooo excited!! I logged into schedule and a date was open on January 28th which is PERFECT bc my boss is on vacation also! I logged back in 10 minutes later and the date was gone, I had to schedule for Feb 4. Has anyone had luck changing their interview dates??

I'm sooooo excited!!

I may or may not have taken that 28'th spot. good luck :thumbup:

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know how often the AdCom meets? I know that decisions won't start rolling out until around mid-January, but I'm just wondering. Thanks.

I have a question for those of you that have already interviewed...

During the interview day, does hofstra provide a place to put your luggage? or do you have to carry it around all day with you? Or does the marriot next to it provide a place to put your luggage? This is about a 140 dollar question lol.

During the interview day, does hofstra provide a place to put your luggage? or do you have to carry it around all day with you? Or does the marriot next to it provide a place to put your luggage? This is about a 140 dollar question lol.

Every school has some sort of area that you can keep your luggage, it'd be ridiculous to carry it around all day.

interviewed here about a month ago:
yes, you can leave your bags jackets etc in the first conference room you sit in. im sure the marriot would hold your bags for a few hours if you spend the night there. the day usually ends at 2-3pm, not 4 like they say in the email.

Anybody know the oos situation here? Ive been complete since 9/22 but my portal says the same thing that still reviewing apps

Anybody know the oos situation here? Ive been complete since 9/22 but my portal says the same thing that still reviewing apps

I'm not sure if this of any help, but I was complete 11/17 and was offered an interview 11/30. I am oos. The process of interviewing seems a bit random to me so I wouldn't lose hope quite yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.