2010-2011 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
okay, i admit it, my neurosis has got the best of me! for those who have received wait list invites, is there really no immediate deadline for responding? in other words, could there be wait list acceptances out there from people who aren't intending to accept? i am stunned my number is so close to coming up (just 2 spots to go!), but need to decide very soon if i should spent another $600 (on top of $500 already invested june 1) on primaries for 2011-12. best of luck everybody.

okay, i admit it, my neurosis has got the best of me! for those who have received wait list invites, is there really no immediate deadline for responding? in other words, could there be wait list acceptances out there from people who aren't intending to accept? i am stunned my number is so close to coming up (just 2 spots to go!), but need to decide very soon if i should spent another $600 (on top of $500 already invested june 1) on primaries for 2011-12. best of luck everybody.

Well, I don't know the details of this waitlist business, but here's a suggestion... mind you, this is a real long shot, but what do you have to lose?

So here's the suggestion: since you're so close to having your number picked you could ask OHSU if they'll give you guaranteed acceptance for next year if you don't get in this year. That would at least let you whittle down your expenses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I don't know the details of this waitlist business, but here's a suggestion... mind you, this is a real long shot, but what do you have to lose?

So here's the suggestion: since you're so close to having your number picked you could ask OHSU if they'll give you guaranteed acceptance for next year if you don't get in this year. That would at least let you whittle down your expenses.

I tried that after being 6 spots away in the 2010 cycle and they said no chance. But I guess it can't hurt to ask.

I tried that after being 6 spots away in the 2010 cycle and they said no chance. But I guess it can't hurt to ask.

Yeah I'd be shocked if they did anything like this. I mean look at how much the waitlist varies from year to year. I don't know how much ranking from one year translates into a ranking for the next.

Looking at the figure timeline for selection from waitlist might give a good idea of how far into the summer they see withdrawals.

Bad news: There is no deadline to respond, because I specifically asked when I was accepted off the waitlist.

Good news: I will be withdrawing my acceptance on Monday after being accepted at another school (just waiting for the paperwork to clear) and that means you'll only have one more spot to go. As there's about 8 weeks before matriculation, I would be pretty sure that one more will withdraw. Good luck!

Bad news: There is no deadline to respond, because I specifically asked when I was accepted off the waitlist.

Good news: I will be withdrawing my acceptance on Monday after being accepted at another school (just waiting for the paperwork to clear) and that means you'll only have one more spot to go. As there's about 8 weeks before matriculation, I would be pretty sure that one more will withdraw. Good luck!

Hey, thanks! The "no deadline to respond" is exactly what I was wondering about and seems to be good news for those of us in wait list purgatory. It sounds like there's still some wait list movement left in the cycle. Best of luck to you too!

I refused my offer of acceptance this week for sunnier days in Colorado. It's a bittersweet experience because I loved the school so much when I interviewed, but $100,000 difference in expected debt is difficult to cope with.

I was number 76. Good luck to those still waiting, and congrats to those of you who will begin your medical education this year, no matter where that may be.

:)

Accepted this morning, #79, still in disbelief. There is indeed no link or no immediate action to take, though they do ask you to email back if you don't intend to matriculate. There's still many weeks to go so I hope the list climbs higher for those still anxiously waiting.

w00t... w00t indeed. Best of luck to you all.

Accepted this morning, #79, still in disbelief. There is indeed no link or no immediate action to take, though they do ask you to email back if you don't intend to matriculate. There's still many weeks to go so I hope the list climbs higher for those still anxiously waiting.

w00t... w00t indeed. Best of luck to you all.

It's at 80 now. I need a single digit number of people to drop. I mean, my heart sank seeing the ranking before, but now it seems like a distinct possibility.

So for the folks keeping track [y'know, next year's application cycle when you go searching for these numbers]: Accepted off the waitlist at #85.

So for the folks keeping track [y'know, next year's application cycle when you go searching for these numbers]: Accepted off the waitlist at #85.

Holy ding dong that is alot of movement! Congrats all the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
While waiting for my packet I was hunting around the incoming student website and noticed a requirement for HepB vaccination, a series that takes 7 months!! This never even occurred to be until now. Is anyone else starting their series in the summer or is this going to interfere with matriculation? Ugh... so neurotic lately...

While waiting for my packet I was hunting around the incoming student website and noticed a requirement for HepB vaccination, a series that takes 7 months!! This never even occurred to be until now. Is anyone else starting their series in the summer or is this going to interfere with matriculation? Ugh... so neurotic lately...

They will make you get this vaccine, but don't worry too much about it yet.

You can call student health (503-494-8665) and ask to talk to a nurse about it, but I think they'll likely just tell you that you have to start the series when you get to school.

If you don't submit paperwork showing that you completed the series, eventually they'll freeze your registration or do other things until you get your forms submitted.

So in short, they will make you follow through with your required vaccines, but they know that these things take time :)

They will make you get this vaccine, but don't worry too much about it yet... So in short, they will make you follow through with your required vaccines, but they know that these things take time :)

Thanks! It seems like an unlikely obstacle but I found a few other schools that require all three shots before classes start.

Thanks! It seems like an unlikely obstacle but I found a few other schools that require all three shots before classes start.

Yeah, you have me concerned now so I might call the nurse and/or registration just to get this stuff sorted...

...but I have a hard time imagining any school absolutely refusing to let you sit in their lecture hall unless you've been vaccinated.

Especially with HepB, which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) some people never develop strong resistance anyway?

...Especially with HepB, which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) some people never develop strong resistance anyway?

That's not really true at all. Some vaccines have waning immunity, but that's why HepB is a series of 3 shots. The first shot triggers your immune system to establish acquired immunity and then the 2nd shot is what really solidifies immunological memory. Then, along with affinity maturation, the ability of your immune system to recognize a pathogen is strengthened. In most cases, the 3rd shot is for good measure but nevertheless necessary. If I remember the slide from a pathogenic bacteriology or infectious diseases class, I think there is seroconversion after the first dose in ~55% of the population, then after the 2nd dose the rate is like 85-90%...and after the full series it is 95%. This is generally why they want you to do a HbsAB titer test after the series to confirm immunity. If you really want, you can read more here or here. I don't pretend to be an expert in this stuff, but I hope that helps...I'm sure we'll learn much more in our immunology course.

just wanted to follow up for anybody else who was wondering. the student health center nurse didn't really specify a timeline but suggested i go ahead and get started on the hepB series on my own, and something about an immunization form website opening up on aug. 1.

I have a polite request for anyone holding an acceptance to OHSU with no intention of attending:
RELEASE YOUR SPOT IMMEDIATELY!
Thank you, I would appreciate it greatly.

I'm number 112 on the waitlist, and I had very firmly accepted that I wouldn't stand a chance in the world at getting into OHSU, and while I still understand that will 95% likely be the case, I just do NOT understand how they've gotten to #94. AH!!!

Edit: Maybe more like 99% likely that it won't go that far :)

Last edited:
I'm number 112 on the waitlist, and I had very firmly accepted that I wouldn't stand a chance in the world at getting into OHSU, and while I still understand that will 95% likely be the case, I just do NOT understand how they've gotten to #94. AH!!!

Edit: Maybe more like 99% likely that it won't go that far :)

You never know until it is over...I thought it wouldn't get to 37 either.

You never know until it is over...I thought it wouldn't get to 37 either.

I was totally certain it'd never get to #85, so much so I put a deposit down elsewhere. Oh well! Sent off my transcripts already [for anyone who was accepted and hasn't gotten their paperwork yet, that's what the admissions office suggests you do while you wait]

I was totally certain it'd never get to #85, so much so I put a deposit down elsewhere. Oh well! Sent off my transcripts already [for anyone who was accepted and hasn't gotten their paperwork yet, that's what the admissions office suggests you do while you wait]

Oh, yeah, me, too. We had bought airline tickets to house shop and for my hubs to interview in AZ. We had a lovely vacay instead! Good luck everyone who is still waiting.

Pure craziness! I would have put 100:1 odds against reaching 94 for sure. (Before I stopped to think about the whole budget crisis--->more OOS--->lower yield thing, of course.)
Good luck to all the ~100 number folks. :luck:

I had the series 10 years ago and had that titer level checked with the others...never converted and am starting the series anew.

About Hep-B vaccine non responders.

I see from your link that the CDC recommends the entire 3-dose series again for non-responders. When my titer was negative after the series, however, my doctor said to get a booster and have it checked again, because that is often all it takes. I did that (probably 5 years ago now), and my titer shows that I have immunity. You might look into getting it checked after just one more shot, if you feel comfortable with that.

This may have been answered already in this forum but I haven't come across it and I can't find any info on it on the OHSU page - is there a grade minimum for courses to count as prereqs? My number is awfully close on the list and I just want to make sure that my "C-" in ochem (bleh!) counts. Thanks!

This may have been answered already in this forum but I haven't come across it and I can't find any info on it on the OHSU page - is there a grade minimum for courses to count as prereqs? My number is awfully close on the list and I just want to make sure that my "C-" in ochem (bleh!) counts. Thanks!

I'd call admissions and ask them this question directly. No matter how certain someone sounds on SDN, or how much they seem to know what they're talking about, you should get an answer directly from admissions for something so critical. (An answer in writing wouldn't hurt!)

If you accepted this year, but somehow a C- doesn't count, you're going to have to scramble to figure something out quickly.

Do you have a C- for only one term of o-chem, and better grades for other terms? Technically, OHSU only requires one term of o-chem.

I'd call admissions and ask them this question directly. No matter how certain someone sounds on SDN, or how much they seem to know what they're talking about, you should get an answer directly from admissions for something so critical. (An answer in writing wouldn't hurt!)

If you accepted this year, but somehow a C- doesn't count, you're going to have to scramble to figure something out quickly.

Do you have a C- for only one term of o-chem, and better grades for other terms? Technically, OHSU only requires one term of o-hem.

Thanks so much for the input, hopefuldoc! You're right, best to get info straight from the horse's mouth - I do plan on calling admissions today and will report back.

And yes, I have one other semester of both ochem and biochem with better grades, so I think I am ok in any case... but I was just curious.

So... if there's still anybody paying attention- any thoughts on future wait list movement? It's only moved 2 in almost 2 weeks...

So... if there's still anybody paying attention- any thoughts on future wait list movement? It's only moved 2 in almost 2 weeks...

If it gives any idea, there is about 100 people on the FB group...

What's the number at?

I think it takes about 10 days for the withdrawals to be processed. That's my guess because it took about 8 business days since my withdrawal (a couple of weeks) for the wait list to move a spot. I requested a withdrawal through email before receiving the admissions packet. There might be another wave of withdrawals when people get their admissions packet; I heard that there several applicants on the wait list still haven't received their packets yet.... Good Luck.

Thanks for the info! The waitlist is currently at 100 but hopefully then, we'll get a little more movement before the end...

Thanks for the info! The waitlist is currently at 100 but hopefully then, we'll get a little more movement before the end...

Does anyone know exactly when the "end" is? Waitlist is stuck at 106 for the weekend.

It should be 125 total unless they changed it.

Mybubbles - Do you (or anyone) know the last day they could pull people from the list? Is it beginning of orientation or maybe even beginning of classes?

Edit- talked to admissions and they said they pull people up to the beginning of orientation (Aug 15th being the very latest possible date if someone does not show for first day of orientation). Good luck everyone! Fingers crossed for the next couple weeks!

Last edited:
Mybubbles - Do you (or anyone) know the last day they could pull people from the list? Is it beginning of orientation or maybe even beginning of classes?

Edit- talked to admissions and they said they pull people up to the beginning of orientation (Aug 15th being the very latest possible date if someone does not show for first day of orientation). Good luck everyone! Fingers crossed for the next couple weeks!

when i had my exit interview they said they could take people up until the day before school starts. are you just a couple away on the wait
list hoping to get in this year?

@Portlandia:

Obviously you and the Dr./PhD/Whatever were the only ones present at your interview, but it sounds like some of the questions were borderline inappropriate, which sucks. A good time to bring it to the Adcom's attention would be post-interview and pre-decision, because now it looks a little like sour grapes. (I'm passing no judgment here, just pointing out the optics.) That said, we live in a very imperfect society and I'm well aware that being a tall, (relatively) thin white male doesn't exactly make my life a vale of sorrows.

But as far as the lawsuit thing goes, I'd just point out the misconception I see pretty frequently here on SDN. It is the internet, and people have quasi-anonymous usernames, but it's not really *anonymous*. The real world can be surprisingly small and close at hand, and all it takes is one person drawing a connection to create a real mess.

Look, I was pretty upset when I got my rejection. I vented to my wife about it. Hell, I vented to my dog, the lawn furniture, and the cool midnight breeze. But I didn't vent on SDN. You can call it self-censorship, but I think it's more useful. I try to act like a grownup when I'm speaking (or typing) in public, and the more I try, the easier it gets. Am I still frustrated that I didn't get in? Of course. Do I think I deserved to? Maybe. But the real point is, where do I go from here? Because next year's app isn't going to write itself. It sounds like you have plenty of reasons to be frustrated, and lots of success to look forward to. Good luck.

Loved your response!

Status
Not open for further replies.