2010-2011 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
w00t w00t just submitted my secondary, i didnt write anything in the extra comment box out of laziness but i dont think it's a big deal.

You may want to rethink your strategy here... just sayin.

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to rethink your strategy here... just sayin.

well i think my amcas app is pretty strong so i didn't see a point in writing extra bs if i didnt have to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me where on the St. Louis website they talk about any community service opportunities, student clubs, or student health run clinics.. I am trying to find more information about on the school.. but their website is not very informative.. THANKS

Can anyone tell me where on the St. Louis website they talk about any community service opportunities, student clubs, or student health run clinics.. I am trying to find more information about on the school.. but their website is not very informative.. THANKS

They don't really have the groups posted online that I know of, but SLU has two student-run clinics: Health Resource Center (A Student-Operated Open-Door Clinic) and the Casa de Salud (the Hispanic clinic)
Here is a list of clubs mentioned in the orientation packet for the class of 2014:
Wellness Interest Group & Learning Community
Child Abuse Prevention Task Force
AMA
Interfaith Student Interest Group
AMSA
Student Follies Organization
Student National Medical Association (SNMA)
SPOTS
AMWA and the Women’s Liaison Group
Tar Wars
APAMSA
(and others)
AIDS Education Task Force
Student Class officers
Health Resource Center – The Student-run Open Door Clinic
Career Specialty Groups:
Family Practice Interest Group
Surgery Interest Group
Geriatrics Interest Group
Internal Medicine Interest Group
Pediatrics Interest Group
Sports Medicine Interest Group
Emergency Medicine Interest Group
OB/Gyn & Women’s Health Group
(and others)
They also have a Campus ministries department that organizes various religious events.
Hope that helps!

They don't really have the groups posted online that I know of, but SLU has two student-run clinics: Health Resource Center (A Student-Operated Open-Door Clinic) and the Casa de Salud (the Hispanic clinic)
Here is a list of clubs mentioned in the orientation packet for the class of 2014:
Wellness Interest Group & Learning Community
Child Abuse Prevention Task Force
AMA
Interfaith Student Interest Group
AMSA
Student Follies Organization
Student National Medical Association (SNMA)
SPOTS
AMWA and the Women’s Liaison Group
Tar Wars
APAMSA
(and others)
AIDS Education Task Force
Student Class officers
Health Resource Center – The Student-run Open Door Clinic
Career Specialty Groups:
Family Practice Interest Group
Surgery Interest Group
Geriatrics Interest Group
Internal Medicine Interest Group
Pediatrics Interest Group
Sports Medicine Interest Group
Emergency Medicine Interest Group
OB/Gyn & Women’s Health Group
(and others)
They also have a Campus ministries department that organizes various religious events.
Hope that helps!

Thank you! No offense to SLU but you should tell them that their site is not very user friendly or informative...

Thank you! No offense to SLU but you should tell them that their site is not very user friendly or informative...

Hahaha I was just looking at my MSAR from last year, and I had written "bad web-site" on the SLU page. Actually, someone in the office now knows what they're doing. If you pay attention, you'll realize the web-site is slowly getting a LOT better.

I bet it's the current students there that Are working on making the site better :p

I bet it's the current students there that Are working on making the site better :p

I guarantee it. It seems like the M2s are writing a lot of it... like the organized orientation page and the new "welcome to SLU" info on the regular web-site.

Good chance for us to get involved next yr hopefully

is there a section where we designate who is sending our rec letters? I see on the instructions section it talks about Rec letters, but there is not section or question to fill out about Rec letters. Is this correct? thx.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a section where we designate who is sending our rec letters? I see on the instructions section it talks about Rec letters, but there is not section or question to fill out about Rec letters. Is this correct? thx.

I don't think so...it was a pretty simple app...I never named anyone. I don't even think there was a confirmation email..I just got an email saying they received my app and payment.

Did anyone else get an email from them today?

I got it. I think its just one of those auto emails inviting us to apply. If that's the one you got.

oh hahah i didn't mean to sound surprised! i was just wondering because i haven't gotten a "confirmation" email about my payment yet from SLU..

oh hahah i didn't mean to sound surprised! i was just wondering because i haven't gotten a "confirmation" email about my payment yet from SLU..

As soon as I made the payment, I got an email with the subject: "Saint Louis University School of Medicine Application Fee Payment Receipt"

That's all I've received though. I logged onto their website and me thinks my status was complete.

The "From" in my Gmail inbox is "SLUMD". Slum dog. O.K., maybe not that funny..

As soon as I made the payment, I got an email with the subject: "Saint Louis University School of Medicine Application Fee Payment Receipt"

That's all I've received though. I logged onto their website and me thinks my status was complete.

From what I read on last year's thread, there isn't a 'complete' email - when you check your status on the site it will just say "Complete" in green letters near the top of the page. At least, I hope this is accurate, because it's what mine says. ;)

From what I read on last year's thread, there isn't a 'complete' email - when you check your status on the site it will just say "Complete" in green letters near the top of the page. At least, I hope this is accurate, because it's what mine says. ;)

Awesome...same here! Thanks!

Question regarding the optional additoinal essay .. I'm taking Forven's advice and focusing on explaining some of my lower grades and my interest in SLU. There's no word limit listed on the app, and I think my total essay will probably end up around ~3500 char, which seems reasonable based on limits from other schools with similar prompts .. Writing a little more won't really hurt me, right? I mean, it's relevant info, but I don't want to take the extra effort to add add'l information and then realize all it did was add to the adcom's workload

How much did people write? Is there usually a suggested limit for situations like this where no limit's listed?

Question regarding the optional additoinal essay .. I'm taking Forven's advice and focusing on explaining some of my lower grades and my interest in SLU. There's no word limit listed on the app, and I think my total essay will probably end up around ~3500 char, which seems reasonable based on limits from other schools with similar prompts .. Writing a little more won't really hurt me, right? I mean, it's relevant info, but I don't want to take the extra effort to add add'l information and then realize all it did was add to the adcom's workload

How much did people write? Is there usually a suggested limit for situations like this where no limit's listed?

I wrote about 2200 characters about a how "totally unrelated to medicine" extracurricular activity has influenced my skills and abilities as a medical school student (appreciate diversity). I honestly don't know if "why SLU" is worth writing about...If they REALLY wanted to know, they'd have explicitly asked for it in their application.

Thats exactly what I wrote my essay on. Mine was prolly a little shorter but around that.

Hey guys

In general simpler and short is always best. So you have to evaluate your essays content and decide whether or not you should simplify

1000-3500 characters should be good. Mine was 1800 I think.

Also, I didn't write "why slu" essay either :laugh: but others who got into the school in my class did.

does anyone know what area of medicine SLU specializes in? i'm pretty sure it's primary care but can anyone confirm this?

any EDP applicants receive an interview invite yet?

Can a current student or someone who knows a lot about SLU med school comment on how strong the Jesuit influence is there? I'm just trying to gauge how Catholic they are.

Is the level of Catholic influence there more or less than at Georgetown? What about at Loyola? Or is SLU just Catholic in name?

can anyone comment on what area of medicine SLU specializes in? the website talks a lot about research but the curriculum offers only minimal research opportunities... based on the match list, it also seems like most people went into primary care (fam med, internal med, peds). any ideas?

Can a current student or someone who knows a lot about SLU med school comment on how strong the Jesuit influence is there? I'm just trying to gauge how Catholic they are.

Is the level of Catholic influence there more or less than at Georgetown? What about at Loyola? Or is SLU just Catholic in name?

you can search, its been discussed, but I'll give my own point of view (granted I've been here for a total of 2 weeks, so take what i say with a grain of salt)

It doesn't seem like a very strong influence..its not raelly discussed much..there is a priest here, but he doesnt preach or try to convert anyone, its a very open, relaxed atmosphere..

there is a daily mass i believe, if you do want it, otherwise, the jesuit aspect can pretty much be avoided, other than seeing crosses in the rooms

yep. july 27th. by june 27th i hadnt even submitted my AMCAS app yet cos my i wanted to have my MCAT scores first.

Wow, that's really fast and cool. Again congrats!

Interview invite! Complete end of July. 3.73cgpa, 3.76sgpa, 33

I also got an interview invite today! Secondary submitted end of June.

Did anyone receive a complete email from here?

Thanks! :luck: Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.