2010-2011 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have like 50 questions.
Do we need to buy the old army green uniforms also or just the new blues before OBLC?
I have most of the ACUs and PT uniforms. Will they give us the patches we need?
Also is there a sort of pack we should bring, like are there certain "regulation" bags for our clothes and stuff?
Are we going to be staying in mass barracks or will we have smaller quarters?

How did ya'll set up to have your stuff moved? I was able to get into a base shipping office as a visitor. A counselor helped set the whole thing up. Also, I was able to get most of my uniforms through the local exchange/commissary on the base by just showing them my orders.

I'm Air Force, but everyone in class of 2014 has the new blues. The only ones who have the old army green uniforms are priors in the class of 2013 or older, or faculty who are trying to wear out those uniforms before buying the new ones. As for your other questions, I'll have to defer to someone else. The AF COT (officer training) has a lot of sites to refer to online, so you may be able to look up yours as well...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm Air Force, but everyone in class of 2014 has the new blues. The only ones who have the old army green uniforms are priors in the class of 2013 or older, or faculty who are trying to wear out those uniforms before buying the new ones. As for your other questions, I'll have to defer to someone else. The AF COT (officer training) has a lot of sites to refer to online, so you may be able to look up yours as well...
Class A (Army Green's) will be phased out in Q4 of 2014. That being said you do not need to and should not buy them. Currently, occassions that would have normally called for Class A's are now wear either Class A or ASU. This is in effect because they are no longer issuing the Class A uniform for new enlistees. So there is a sort of transition period now where people are wearing both uniforms, but at USUHS everyone will have the ASU's and you will rarely see greens.

Hey everyone, it was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make but I just withdrew my acceptance to USUHS (Army). Hopefully one of you deserving SDNers still on the wait list will get the spot!

My best to everyone who will be matriculating at USUHS in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I count myself out that I'm still on the alternate list until now?

To all accepted AF students, I made a facebook group where we can all get to know each other before COT. Just search for "Commissioned Officer Training Class 11-05" in facebook and request to be added in the group.

Should I count myself out that I'm still on the alternate list until now?

the chances are very low, and i'd make other plans if I were you. look at it as an opportunity rather than a defeat. you should look to apply first thing in the next application cycle, so in the meantime, do some things to improve your application and make it different from this year's pool.

I am on the Army waitlist and have not heard from Dr. Calloway, is it too late at this point? Should I just count myself out? :(

I am on the Army waitlist and have not heard from Dr. Calloway, is it too late at this point? Should I just count myself out? :(

People get accepted all the way up until a few weeks before the school year starts. You don't have to go to ODS/OBLC/COT in order to start at USUHS - you can make it up later, and you'll get a small introduction to the military here at the school so you at least learn how to wear your uniform.
I forget which is which, but there's a waitlist and an alternate list - if you're on the better one (the waitlist I think), you still definitely have a chance; if you're on the other (alternate), then you're chance is lower because the waitlist would have to be exhausted before they dip into alternate.
Not everyone has USUHS as their #1 school so if someone is holding a spot here, but gets an acceptance elsewhere they may drop the acceptance here; I want to say we had at least a dozen Navy students who didn't go to ODS (either accepted later or didn't get orders in time) from my class. I know of one person who was accepted the Friday before we reported (so this person had about 3 days to get commissioned and travel to Bethesda before reporting to USUHS on Aug 5th).

That said, if you don't have an acceptance elsewhere you may want to look at your alternate plans (setting up AMCAS for another go round if that's what you want) just to be on the safe side.

Thanks so much for the feedback silverhorse. I am on the waitlist ( instead of the alternate list) so I am still hopeful. I was just hoping to hear something soon after May 15th and now that the date has come and gone I am just nervous, especially since everyone keeps on saying that the Army waitlist moves so much faster than any other branch waitlist, and sometimes even gets exhausted so that people from the alternate list are pulled off. I am accepted to another school but I live in Maryland so I was hoping to stay in state. At this point I'm going to start planning to move and crossing my fingers for USUHS.

Thanks again for your insight :)

Thanks so much for the feedback silverhorse. I am on the waitlist ( instead of the alternate list) so I am still hopeful. I was just hoping to hear something soon after May 15th and now that the date has come and gone I am just nervous, especially since everyone keeps on saying that the Army waitlist moves so much faster than any other branch waitlist, and sometimes even gets exhausted so that people from the alternate list are pulled off. I am accepted to another school but I live in Maryland so I was hoping to stay in state. At this point I'm going to start planning to move and crossing my fingers for USUHS.

Thanks again for your insight :)

Did you apply HPSP? Good luck.

Did you apply HPSP? Good luck.

No I did not. My husband is an Officer in the Army and we both agreed that if I go in to USUHS he will stay in but if I don't get in he will be putting in his separation papers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to all the new accepted!

I just wanted a little advice: I am on the waiting list right now (non-prior) for USAF, and to increase my chances of getting in [sooner], I am writing a letter of intent. Do you think this will help at this point if I send a formal letter indicating that I really want to go there?

Thanks for your help!

I just wanted a little advice: I am on the waiting list right now (non-prior) for USAF, and to increase my chances of getting in [sooner], I am writing a letter of intent. Do you think this will help at this point if I send a formal letter indicating that I really want to go there?

Thanks for your help!

More relevant is that I don't think it would hurt you. Keep in mind that a letter of intent usually tells them that not only do you "really want to go there" (like a letter of interest) but that you will go there if selected. While the letter of intent doesn't legally obligate you or anything like that, don't write a letter of intent if you don't intend to go there over every other school.
FWIW, while it could be coincidence, I wrote a letter of intent and then got in.

Last edited:
More relevant is that I don't think it would hurt you. Keep in mind that a letter of intent usually tells them that not only do you "really want to go there" (like a letter of interest) but that you will go there if selected. While the letter of intent doesn't legally obligate you or anything like that, don't write a letter of intent if you don't intend to go there over every other school.
FWIW, while it could be coincidence, I wrote a letter of intent and then got in.

I also wrote a letter of intent and was accepted off of the waitlist May 16 for AF (non prior). I think that it definitely reflects positively to the admissions committee. On a similar note, I was unconditionally accepted today!

I also wrote a letter of intent and was accepted off of the waitlist May 16 for AF (non prior). I think that it definitely reflects positively to the admissions committee. On a similar note, I was unconditionally accepted today!

Congratulations! That is so encouraging to me, too!

Also, thank you 0cmc0. And yes, I do understand how explicit a letter of intent is versus letter of interest, I simply failed to make that clear in my question. Hopefully I have an excuse that it was before 6 AM PDT and I had to head out for work? :sleep:

But seriously, thanks to silvraiment and 0cmc0. You provided the encouragement that I needed. I hope it works for me, too!:xf:

Thanks for your help!

I'd open yourself up to other services for sure to increase your chances.

Sorry to hear that. In other news, I received my unconditional letter today and this Air Force spot will not be opening up. :D

it wasn't for any bad reason at all, this is a good thing, got into my #1 choice, just waiting on the official paperwork before I withdraw.

That's great! I just meant it would be too bad for the rest of us without you there. Good luck and congrats on getting in where you wanted to go!

thanks! I'm doing HPSP though, so i'll see all the Navy folkds out in the fleet

Just got a call from Dr. Calloway, conditionally accepted Navy! Been a long wait but it's worth it...9/23 Interview, 11/3 - Hold Letter to receive decision by 01/15, 01/13 - Hold Letter to receive decision by 04/01, 02/18 - Waitlisted Navy, 06/03 - Accepted! Future applicants don't lose hope, plan for the worst but don't lose hope!

Just got a call from Dr. Calloway, conditionally accepted Navy! Been a long wait but it's worth it...9/23 Interview, 11/3 - Hold Letter to receive decision by 01/15, 01/13 - Hold Letter to receive decision by 04/01, 02/18 - Waitlisted Navy, 06/03 - Accepted! Future applicants don't lose hope, plan for the worst but don't lose hope!

Congrats snowjunkie! I'm staying hopeful, but round 2 is about to commence. Here's to hoping for a bittersweet ending....

congrats! I withdrew my navy acceptance on 6/2, looks like it got filled. Good luck everyone.

congrats! I withdrew my navy acceptance on 6/2, looks like it got filled. Good luck everyone.

Thanks surfernuke! I was at second look weekend when I think you got your acceptance, looks like I owe you one. :thumbup:

I just got the dreaded letter stating " Unfortunately, we do not anticipate that we will be able to offer a position in our entering class" And that's that :(

I just got the dreaded letter stating " Unfortunately, we do not anticipate that we will be able to offer a position in our entering class" And that's that :(

Me too except I am AirForce waitlist. And then I got a call from Cpt. Calloway today asking me if I was physically cleared (I'm not). Ahhh I wish I was though. Has this happened to someone else?

Last edited:
So I guess it was a good thing she called because I was accepted when my waiver came through this morning. I was all set on my civilian school and finances aren't an issue for me. I know this question has been raised a thousand times but what were ya'lls tipping points when making the decision one way or the other? I don't have long to decide and I am really unsure what is the best course of action.

Kind of quiet in here!

Docbell, have you made your decision?

Is anybody else still on the AF waiting list? There seems to be no movement, if SDN is a gauge of anything. Would it be a good idea to call the admissions office to see what they think my chances are, or would that just annoy them? And how many people who rate other services favorably get called up for their second or third choice after being on the wait list of their first? On that note, does anybody know how many people remain on the waiting lists of any of the three services?

The admissions office is really great I am sure they would not be annoyed if you called them. However, when I called a couple of weeks back they did say that they would not expect to see alot of spots open up. They said that in previous years spots openned up through July but that they didn't think it was the case this year. Their advice was to apply for the following year. I did ask them how long the Army waitlist was though and they did say it was relatively short (which I think from previous years' posts means 10-20). I'm sure if you asked they would tell you how long the list is for AF as well.

I ended up sticking with my civilian school. The decision was agonizing but I think it might be the best one for me at this point in my life. I still hope I will have the pleasure of serving with some of you in the AF someday. That does mean however that at least one Air Force spot opened up. :) Hopefully it went to an SDNer who has just been too busy to post. Training starts on the 5th so it was a quick turn for someone. When I called admissions to tell them my final decision they were great and courteous. I second Kitty that I doubt they will care if you call.

I ended up sticking with my civilian school. The decision was agonizing but I think it might be the best one for me at this point in my life. I still hope I will have the pleasure of serving with some of you in the AF someday. That does mean however that at least one Air Force spot opened up. :) Hopefully it went to an SDNer who has just been too busy to post. Training starts on the 5th so it was a quick turn for someone. When I called admissions to tell them my final decision they were great and courteous. I second Kitty that I doubt they will care if you call.

Well, I guess that's good for us on the waiting list:), but I'm also glad you found a school you're really happy with.

I wonder how long it takes them to turn around with an acceptance when an accepted candidate drops an offer. I think it's a little weird no one posting here has gotten a call since AF COT has started. Usually a few people don't show up. Either no one wants to let go of their spot or it takes a while for them to accept further candidates. Who knows how much their wait list will move.

Well, I guess that's good for us on the waiting list:), but I'm also glad you found a school you're really happy with.

I wonder how long it takes them to turn around with an acceptance when an accepted candidate drops an offer. I think it's a little weird no one posting here has gotten a call since AF COT has started. Usually a few people don't show up. Either no one wants to let go of their spot or it takes a while for them to accept further candidates. Who knows how much their wait list will move.

Thanks. It was seriously one of the hardest choices I have made. USU seems like such an amazing school so it was hard to give up that opportunity. I was given a little over 24 hours to make my decision and let them know so they could move to the next person on the list. It is one of the reasons I ended up sticking with my civilian school. It was literally ten minutes before I had to call and let them know and I still wasn't sure what I wanted to do. And Usuhs is too big of a commitment to make if I wasn't feeling more sure. However, if my experience was any indication the school moves on those spots as soon as they open up. But then again that was back when they were trying to get the student to summer training so they might not be as concerned now. Best of luck tritown! I hope you are happy wherever you end up.

Anyone know how old of an MCAT USUHS will take? By the looks of what I saw on their website it looks like 3 years from date of matriculation. It says "April 2009 - September 2011," but it doesn't outright say 3 years. I really don't feel like retaking the MCAT, but if I have to I better start planning for it now. (reapplying for 2013)

Anyone know how old of an MCAT USUHS will take? By the looks of what I saw on their website it looks like 3 years from date of matriculation. It says "April 2009 - September 2011," but it doesn't outright say 3 years. I really don't feel like retaking the MCAT, but if I have to I better start planning for it now. (reapplying for 2013)

I'm pretty sure it's 3 years, but I thought it was that way for any of the allopathic U.S. schools. Maybe you could call the admissions office and ask them. I'm sorry I couldn't give you anything more specific.

I'm pretty sure it's 3 years, but I thought it was that way for any of the allopathic U.S. schools. Maybe you could call the admissions office and ask them. I'm sorry I couldn't give you anything more specific.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right regarding USUHS. But Texas schools allow 5 years. So I guess I'll just be applying to Texas schools next year. Maybe some out of state DO schools, I think they allow 4 years maybe? I'll check.

Thanks though

Status
Not open for further replies.