2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you talked to anyone else on the list? Any idea how many people are on it or when we should find out?

Also, I saw you posted in the UCLA forum? You'd choose CCLCM over UCLA?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you talked to anyone else on the list? Any idea how many people are on it or when we should find out?

Also, I saw you posted in the UCLA forum? You'd choose CCLCM over UCLA?

I have no idea how many people are on the alternate list.

I'm guessing the bulk of us who will be accepted will hear by the beginning of May. Until then, nothing to do but wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
When do the CCLCM people start school?

Also, if there are deadlines like May 1st, April 15th, etc. Why do people still end up getting accepted at schools even a few days before class starts? I mean this in general, not specifically Case or the CCLCM.

Also, if there are deadlines like May 1st, April 15th, etc. Why do people still end up getting accepted at schools even a few days before class starts? I mean this in general, not specifically Case or the CCLCM.

People get off waitlists at other schools, I guess. It trickles into July bc people get time (~1 week) to consider whether they will accept the offer from the school.

The presenter at the FA portion of the interview day seemed to imply that we would have aid information in time to make decisions between schools.

Ok I went to the trouble of scanning through last year's thread (this is the first time I've ever done that, I swear!) and according to page 59 it looks like we will start finding out in mid-April.

So, I've heard that it is highly recommended that you buy a computer through the University instead of bringing in your own to use. Can any current/former students gave their take please?

So, I've heard that it is highly recommended that you buy a computer through the University instead of bringing in your own to use. Can any current/former students gave their take please?
It's not just recommended. It's required. You get two options: a dell or a mac and then some choices about screen size. There will probably be info about this on iapply before too long...at least there was last year. In any case, I wouldn't buy a computer until you find out for sure what the deal is. According to last years info, some of the newer macs could be upgraded to the med school specs. Feel free to PM if you have more questions.

Lefty Doodle, are you referring to the CCLCM alternate list?

It's not just recommended. It's required. You get two options: a dell or a mac and then some choices about screen size. There will probably be info about this on iapply before too long...at least there was last year. In any case, I wouldn't buy a computer until you find out for sure what the deal is. According to last years info, some of the newer macs could be upgraded to the med school specs. Feel free to PM if you have more questions.

Thanks Signe! I appreciate your input. I was asking, because I already have a perfectly good labtop that is only pretty much one year old. My undergraduate university was a "laptop" university where all the students were required to buy into the program. When I graduated, I was able to buy my labtop dirt cheap. I will plan on purchasing one through Case after they make the information available in iapply then! :thumbup:

Thanks Signe! I appreciate your input. I was asking, because I already have a perfectly good labtop that is only pretty much one year old. My undergraduate university was a "laptop" university where all the students were required to buy into the program. When I graduated, I was able to buy my labtop dirt cheap. I will plan on purchasing one through Case after they make the information available in iapply then! :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure CCLCM furnishes you with a laptop at their expense.

If not, newegg.com is your friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lefty Doodle, are you referring to the CCLCM alternate list?

No, I was talking about when financial aid packages are coming out for accepted UP people. Case was my first choice but unless they can match my other financial aid package, I will have to go elsewhere :-( So I am kind of anxious about that. I read about these people spending an extra 100k to go to Case and I think they are just kidding themselves about the "added value." Plus my second choice is really pretty nice.

No, I was talking about when financial aid packages are coming out for accepted UP people. Case was my first choice but unless they can match my other financial aid package, I will have to go elsewhere :-( So I am kind of anxious about that. I read about these people spending an extra 100k to go to Case and I think they are just kidding themselves about the "added value." Plus my second choice is really pretty nice.
A wise decision. As much as I loved my time at Case/CCLCM, it would be foolish to spend an extra $100,000 to go there if you have the option of attending a much cheaper school. That being said, I hope the financial aid package comes through for you. :)

I heard this piece on the radio while driving home tonight:

"Cleveland - The Way Forward" by "State of the Re:Union".

http://www.prx.org/pieces/68004-cleveland-the-way-forward
http://stateofthereunion.com/home/season-2-2/cleveland-oh

Both links give the same program, but the first link has a more detailed summary (scroll down), and the second link has the option to download the entire program (instead of listening to segments)

It was refreshing to hear something positive about Cleveland when most other posters (who do not even live there) bash it with no shame.

I heard this piece on the radio while driving home tonight:

"Cleveland - The Way Forward" by "State of the Re:Union".

http://www.prx.org/pieces/68004-cleveland-the-way-forward
http://stateofthereunion.com/home/season-2-2/cleveland-oh

Both links give the same program, but the first link has a more detailed summary (scroll down), and the second link has the option to download the entire program (instead of listening to segments)

It was refreshing to hear something positive about Cleveland when most other posters (who do not even live there) bash it with no shame.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm so tired of people on this forum bashing it incessantly. Most haven't even been to the city. Cleveland is just like any other city, where you have to find your niche. It's really a cool place!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm so tired of people on this forum bashing it incessantly. Most haven't even been to the city. Cleveland is just like any other city, where you have to find your niche. It's really a cool place!

i think it's pretty badass that they set their river on fire.

i think it's pretty badass that they set their river on fire.

Yes, I too find great disdain for environmental protections that maintain the possibility of life (wild and human) in the area. SLAG FOREVER!:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

It does make for some pretty sweet local team names, though!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

A wise decision. As much as I loved my time at Case/CCLCM, it would be foolish to spend an extra $100,000 to go there if you have the option of attending a much cheaper school. That being said, I hope the financial aid package comes through for you. :)

I don't understand why everybody thinks/says Case is so expensive. The average indebtness for Case is pretty middle of the road and even relatively low compared to many programs. :confused:

I don't understand why everybody thinks/says Case is so expensive. The average indebtness for Case is pretty middle of the road and even relatively low compared to many programs. :confused:

Because 11% of Case student graduate with over $200,000.
There a significant number of students on free rides or come from substantial means that drive the average down.

There a significant number of students on free rides or come from substantial means that drive the average down.

Doesn't the average indebtedness also include CCLCM students, who pay $0 for their tuition? That would also drive the average down.

Yikes... Well, here's to hoping financial aid treats me nicely. I am dead set on Case over my state school, because my state school is damn expensive even for IS students.

I just spoke with the Financial Aid Office, and they confirmed that they do include the CCLCM students along with the CWRU students in their average indebtness figures.

Last edited:
None of us will know that, I'm afraid.

Yeah, I figured as much. I am just looking for an accurate estimate of what my indebtness at Case would be if I were to graduate this year. I guess I'll just have to wait until the financial award comes through. I've all but written off my state school too.

Whoa, hold on. Only 11% of case students graduate with over 200k in loans? Subtracting CCLCM students, that leaves ~150 students who are on scholarships or whose parents pay their way through med school. Either Case gives out A TON of scholarship money, or the students just come from loaded families. I'm hoping it's the former. :D

Last edited:
As others have said, those stats include us, as well as the MD/PhD students, who also get a free ride (and their living expenses as well).

I obviously don't have access to the stats, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that the majority of Case students are not paying the average indebtedness. Instead, most people are probably taking out almost no loans, or else paying close to full price with loans. In other words, rather than the debt of individual students following a bell-shaped curve, it's probably bimodal, with most people at one or the other extreme, and some people with partial scholarships or partial grants in the middle. Unfortunately, knowing the mean indebtedness really doesn't help us figure out what the mode(s) of indebtedness are.

I'd also argue that you should not make any decisions one way or the other until you get YOUR individual financial aid package. It doesn't matter if every person in the whole class except you pays full price--if you're that one person on a full ride, then your indebtedness will be very low, and in that case, yes, choose Case.

More generally, my advice is to be pragmatic about the whole thing. Wait to see what each school you're seriously considering offers you in terms of grants/scholarships. If you're basically getting full loans at expensive private school A, and you have an acceptance at your state school or elsewhere with a significant scholarship, then you should go the cheaper school unless leaving Cleveland would cause you a significant financial or personal hardship. For example, if you own a house in Cleveland, and your spouse has a well-paying job there, and you'd have to be separated from your spouse and kids in order to go out of town to the cheaper school, then it might make sense to take on the extra debt for personal reasons. But if you're a traditional student with no family and no job, there's no good reason for choosing Cleveland over any other city, and you should focus on minimizing your debt. Just my opinion--obviously you can do whatever you want.

As others have said, those stats include us, as well as the MD/PhD students, who also get a free ride (and their living expenses as well).

I obviously don't have access to the stats, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that the majority of Case students are not paying the average indebtedness. Instead, most people are probably taking out almost no loans, or else paying close to full price with loans. In other words, rather than the debt of individual students following a bell-shaped curve, it's probably bimodal, with most people at one or the other extreme, and some people with partial scholarships or partial grants in the middle. Unfortunately, knowing the mean indebtedness really doesn't help us figure out what the mode(s) of indebtedness are.

I'd also argue that you should not make any decisions one way or the other until you get YOUR individual financial aid package. It doesn't matter if every person in the whole class except you pays full price--if you're that one person on a full ride, then your indebtedness will be very low, and in that case, yes, choose Case.

More generally, my advice is to be pragmatic about the whole thing. Wait to see what each school you're seriously considering offers you in terms of grants/scholarships. If you're basically getting full loans at expensive private school A, and you have an acceptance at your state school or elsewhere with a significant scholarship, then you should go the cheaper school unless leaving Cleveland would cause you a significant financial or personal hardship. For example, if you own a house in Cleveland, and your spouse has a well-paying job there, and you'd have to be separated from your spouse and kids in order to go out of town to the cheaper school, then it might make sense to take on the extra debt for personal reasons. But if you're a traditional student with no family and no job, there's no good reason for choosing Cleveland over any other city, and you should focus on minimizing your debt. Just my opinion--obviously you can do whatever you want.

Thank you very much for the insight. It is between Case and my state school now. I really, really would much rather attend Case though. I mean, the U of MN is a good state school and all, but Case offers so many more opportunities. Not to mention I love the curriculum, people, training hospitals, facilities, etc etc. I will wait, but it would have to be a very large difference for me to even consider not coming to Case. I think I'd be happier in Cleveland too. I know that I can get to wherever I want in my career from either institution. However, Case will help me more on my path. I also want to leave MN for awhile and experience something new. I feel like I'd be settling with my state school (I know I shouldn't think like this. It's just how I feel).

Anyway, U of MN is an extremely expensive state school. So, the difference isn't likely to be that large. I spoke with someone in the Office of Financial Aid today, and she told me that just based on quick looking at my file, I pretty much qualify for A LOT of need-based aid. This is incredibly good news for me, but I will wait until I get both financial award letters. I will have negligent contributions from my savings or family during medical school.

Thank you very much for the insight. It is between Case and my state school now. I really, really would much rather attend Case though. I mean, the U of MN is a good state school and all, but Case offers so many more opportunities. Not to mention I love the curriculum, people, training hospitals, facilities, etc etc. I will wait, but it would have to be a very large difference for me to even consider not coming to Case. I think I'd be happier in Cleveland too. I know that I can get to wherever I want in my career from either institution. However, Case will help me more on my path. I also want to leave MN for awhile and experience something new. I feel like I'd be settling with my state school (I know I shouldn't think like this. It's just how I feel).

Anyway, U of MN is an extremely expensive state school. So, the difference isn't likely to be that large. I spoke with someone in the Office of Financial Aid today, and she told me that just based on quick looking at my file, I pretty much qualify for A LOT of need-based aid. This is incredibly good news for me, but I will wait until I get both financial award letters. I will have negligent contributions from my savings or family during medical school.

MN is my state school too (they rejected me though!!). I think we may have discussed this some months back in a different thread. When I thought my options were going to be Case and Minnesota basically, I was def going to choose Case no matter what, I did NOT like the U. And I did crunch the numbers and they were not that different. I have friends who went to MN and none of them had scholarships and they said it was really rare. Anyway my situation changed because Iowa gave me a scholarship, but I liked Iowa a heck of a lot better than the U. Obviously that was just my personal preference. Sigh. I have still not given up on Case yet though.

On a related note, I was working with a urologist today and she told me that she had free tuition at Michigan and it still took her like 7 years to pay it off (she paid the minimum though, for many years). This is more debt than we can fathom right now and there is no guarantee that these cush repayment programs will still be around. I mean subsidized loans are gone, other things may very well follow.

My thoughts exactly about the U of MN (home state too). My only problem is I'm currently on hold at Case. I fell hard at Case while my U of MN experience was just meh, neither great nor bad. I guess time will tell for me =/

MN is my state school too (they rejected me though!!). I think we may have discussed this some months back in a different thread. When I thought my options were going to be Case and Minnesota basically, I was def going to choose Case no matter what, I did NOT like the U. And I did crunch the numbers and they were not that different. I have friends who went to MN and none of them had scholarships and they said it was really rare. Anyway my situation changed because Iowa gave me a scholarship, but I liked Iowa a heck of a lot better than the U. Obviously that was just my personal preference. Sigh. I have still not given up on Case yet though.

On a related note, I was working with a urologist today and she told me that she had free tuition at Michigan and it still took her like 7 years to pay it off (she paid the minimum though, for many years). This is more debt than we can fathom right now and there is no guarantee that these cush repayment programs will still be around. I mean subsidized loans are gone, other things may very well follow.

I do remember discussing this with you! I just looked over the paper work UMN gave me. 92% of the students were on some non-family based financial aid. However, ONLY 15% of those students were on scholarships or grants or military assistance. That's not much at all. Plus, their avg. indebtness sucks for state schools. They don't really offer MN residents a really cheap option for medical school. I had a better experience on my interview day there. I was impressed by a lot of things the U had to offer. However, it pales in comparison to Case. Yes, sadly debt is only getting worse. What a great way to fix our health care system! Pay doctors less and charge students more to become them! :rolleyes: Best of luck getting into Case though!

My thoughts exactly about the U of MN (home state too). My only problem is I'm currently on hold at Case. I fell hard at Case while my U of MN experience was just meh, neither great nor bad. I guess time will tell for me =/

Best of luck getting off of hold! :luck: I was very "meh" after my interview day. It was good, but not great, especially financially.

Last edited:

If the difference isn't that large, then by all means, pick based on your gut feeling. I'm talking about if there's a huge difference (and I guess we could argue about how to define "huge"), you should go with the cheaper school. Again, I'm arguing that in the long run, you will be happier for having done that.

If the difference isn't that large, then by all means, pick based on your gut feeling. I'm talking about if there's a huge difference (and I guess we could argue about how to define "huge"), you should go with the cheaper school. Again, I'm arguing that in the long run, you will be happier for having done that.

You're certainly correct. With the grant/scholarship money that Case can give out, it should do well at making up the difference. UMN doesn't have a lot of aid money to give out. We'll see when the award letters come out, but I'm 99% sure I'll be moving to Cleveland in June. Thank you again for your insight and time.

Last edited:
Any people accepted to CCLCM considering giving up their spot? Any people on the CCLCM alternate list watching this forum like a hawk?

When did you interview?

Seems like there are around 5-6 people on SDN that are on the alternate list. Good luck to us I guess.

I'm on the alternate list at both programs as well. April 15th can't come fast enough--I'd give both legs to get into CCLCM (and I'm a soccer player!).

Why April 15th? Is that the deadline for people to choose? I thought we could find out as late as June?

So this is the week the UP alternate list comes out eh? Gah :eek:. I both want to know and am incredibly afraid of the decision.

Good luck everyone! I hope all us SDNers make it on the `list`.:luck:

So this is the week the UP alternate list comes out eh? Gah :eek:. I both want to know and am incredibly afraid of the decision.

Good luck everyone! I hope all us SDNers make it on the `list`.:luck:

+1

:scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.