About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by Myuu, May 24, 2011.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myuu

Myuu 例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。 Moderator Emeritus

Hanging with Darmok and Jalad. In Lothlorien.
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Please note that you can apply to the University Program or the College Program (CCLCM) individually (using the same secondary) or to both. The essay prompts are presented at the top of this post. A short FAQ follows.

Someone get me the MSTP version!

FAQ(!)
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. phnerd1105

phnerd1105 I hate chemistry.

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Woo finally!I've seen how amazing the med school is here :love: Hoping for an interview!! :xf:
  3. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    definitely thinking about applying here
  4. Myuu

SDN 5+ Year Member
    You totally should! Anything in particular holding you back?:)
  5. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    nope nothing, I think I definitely will add it :). Any tips for someone hoping to land an interview? ( I like the large volume applicants the interview).

My stats are avg or below avg depending on how MCAT turns out and you can peek at my EC's on Mdapps
  6. Auriga

Auriga juxtoglomerularapparition

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi guys! I can hardly believe another app cycle is starting!

I'm entering my second year at Case, in UP (University Program), and would be happy to answer questions too. Myuu has been the the master of ceremonies to date, but as she's moving towards wards soon, she might not be around as often as previous years. I'll try to pick up some of the slack, but I'm not on here as frequently as Myuu has been in the past :laugh:

I'm a non-trad with a low-ish undergrad gpa (great post-bac GPA and MCAT make up for it to some degree). My MDApps has my stats and some advice on strengthening your app.
    Stats are only one piece of the picture. If your stats are low, put extra effort into making sure the rest of your app is amazing. Case is a school that isn't only about numbers - you must have substance as well.
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  7. raltima07

raltima07

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have substance and not numbers lol....
  8. Myuu

SDN 5+ Year Member
    See above. :)
  9. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What's the difference ( I know this question is probably asked every year) between cclm and up? And what college admits more people?
  10. Myuu

SDN 5+ Year Member
    CCLCM is a five-year program aimed at training physician scientists (this is not an MSTP program) in exchange for free tuition. The class size is 32. The University Program is a 4-year program with 165 or so students. Both curricula are centered around small-group learning, aka PBL done right.

Here's more about PBL at Case: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10675309&postcount=158 (Quoted below)

And for further clarification on the difference between actual PBL and PBL-to-impress-the-impressionable: http://206.82.221.135/showpost.php?p=10727913&postcount=48

There are some other differences between the two, of course. While the UP is pass/fail (true pass/fail, not pseudo-ABCDF) with exams at the end of each block, CCLCM (aka the College Program) has no grades at all, but rather a cumulative essay at the end of each year (I think.) vc7777 could probably tell you a lot more about how that works out. Here's CCLCMer's take on motivation without exams.

Since the CP people are rounding in hospitals, there's a dress code (you're in a hospital learning to be a professional while interacting with patients, so obviously showing up in sweats would be a bad idea. Complain about that all you want, I suppose, but if you don't get it, you don't get it. It's not like you have to wear a suit.) UP students, on the other hand, can be frequently seen in sweats, t-shirts, etc, so long as you could walk down the street and not be arrested.
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
  11. Myuu

SDN 5+ Year Member
  12. GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y! Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN 5+ Year Member
    I see you're already spamming up a storm in here, Myuu :laugh: ;)
  13. Myuu

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Spamming? Well, I never! I am providing application/Case-specific information to interested parties!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's not my fault we have more SDN-active students than most anywhere. :)
  14. GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y! Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN 5+ Year Member
    Actually, it probably is :smuggrin:
  15. Midfieldrulz

Midfieldrulz

second star to the right and straight on til morni
    Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah, I'm thinking that Case needs to come up with some kind of retainer for myuu. She is, without a doubt, the queen bee of sdn and a very powerful advocate for Case.....not to mention, sneaky, clever, handy with a katana, resourceful, witty, and a whole lot of fun!;) Of course, she is humble too, so she'll never acknowledge any of this, but I speak the truth!:cool:
  16. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the detailed response myuu

Does case reuse their secondary essays? I might try to get a head start
  17. lzane1243

lzane1243

Pre-Medical
    Definitely applying here! Wanted to go for undergrad, but couldn't afford it...
  18. citrusguy2010

citrusguy2010

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    is the CCLCM program only for basic sciences? or would public health be considered in there too?
  19. vc7777

vc7777 Nontrad MD/MS Student Moderator

Medical Student
    Rocket Scientist SDN 2+ Year Member
    I should note that at least four of my classmates are currently enrolled and on-track to receive their MPH by graduation.
  20. citrusguy2010

citrusguy2010

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    thanks! is it kind of unheard of? i'm in the middle of my MPH program now and i am really interested in continuing research in that field and i just don't often hear of programs that have public health research programs because typically they focus on the basic sciences
  21. vc7777

Medical Student
    Hmmm...I don't know...she might be spamming.
  22. vc7777

Medical Student
    Your year of research has to be approved by the research committee. However, CCLCM does not confer the degree of MPH - it is effectively a separate degree program (although free to us). So, they currently approve MPH related research for the year of medical school research. I don't see any reason why they would not approve research that is related to public health but not being pursued for a dual degree. I will triple check for you. But, in a nutshell, I don't think they would care whether you are in an MPH program or not.

Having said that, you must do two summers (before your first and second years) in basic and clinical research. No getting out of that. It is to ensure everyone has exposure to all aspects of medical research before graduation (ir)regardless [that was to annoy my insufferable friend CCLCMer :p] of the path you take.

CCLCM is very personalized after your second year, and if your future is in public health, I think they will consider any reasonable research pursuit (assuming funding, PI credentials, sound proposals, etc. etc.)

The other cool thing is that you do not have to commit until nearing your research year to any given path. Heck, you might get here and decide clinical research is the bomb (sorry my rocket scientist pedigree is showing).
  23. phnerd1105

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    In every one of my MPH classes, I have met a bunch of CCLCM and Case med students who say the most amazing things about the programs! Can't wait to apply.

Andddd looks like this thread is shaping up to be the most popular again, thanks to Myuu :)

PS Dr. Frank is a BOSS.
  24. nadaba

nadaba

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I see that the Case thread is tearing it up, as usual! :thumbup:
  25. MilkIsGood

MilkIsGood

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    how much research experience do you need to be considered a strong candidate for cclcm
  26. Myuu

SDN 5+ Year Member
    We tend to reuse themes, it would seem There are minor changes to the essays from year to year. Last year, I think, they added a new one.

There's at least one person that's far worse than me, but I can't seem to remember his username. Maybe you can help me with that...

I suppose now would be a good time to point out that Case threads don't work like other schools' secondary threads. We are fully (voluntarily) staffed and happy to answer your questions as quickly as possible so you don't have to scroll through 50 pages of backlog. Feel free to ask anything, anytime!
  27. vc7777

Medical Student
    CCLCMer? Auriga? sounds right... Auriga...:shifty:

Good point...should be restated at the top of each new page...

Speaking of top posts...

Will you explain that?
  28. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    man this thread is already getting me excited to apply to this school, you guys have brainwashed us ;)
  29. CCLCMer

CCLCMer CCLCM Alum c/o 2011

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Hi all, I don't know how much I'm going to be around after this month, but I'm a CCLCM grad (c/o 2011) and can answer questions about third year rotations for either program (we do rotations together with the UP students), research year, applying for residency, etc.

As vc7777 said, public health definitely counts.

If you're talking about our dean, it's Franco, not Frank. ;)

CCLCM attracts a lot of the same people who apply to MD/PhD programs, including the Case MSTP. I would say that at least one year of part-time research experience is the minimum for CCLCM. The ideal would be to have 3+ years of research experience. More important than the length of time you spend doing research is your role in the research. Washing dishes and running assays without understanding what you're doing for five years isn't very valuable. You should be able to explain the rationale, hypothesis, results, interpretation of data, etc. related to your project.
  30. phnerd1105

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Nope, Dr. Frank, director of the MPH program at Case.
  31. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    been researching the nsurg department at CWRU, I'm liking what I see!
  32. Auriga

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Oh ho ho! Here you go, calling ME a spammer! ME, who got ready to meet the new applicants, all dressed up in a shiny new tuxedo avatar, parted my hair, and refreshed my MDapps profile more concisely for prospies to read for advice! Well, at least I'M not the one who pads. Not pointing fingers, just saying... :rolleyes:

QFT (Quoted For Truth)
    Actually, I met with Dr. Frank and the rest of the Block 1 faculty team this afternoon. This is a perfect opportunity to talk about one of the many reasons why Case rox.

I'm one of the SCME Reps from my class (class of 2014). The Student Committee on Medical Education is one of several venues in which Case gives students the opportunity to have a direct impact on refining and revising the curriculum. I take feedback from my classmates and present it to the curriculum leaders, and represent my class in meetings.

My input on Block 1 (the first 5 weeks of medical school) is helping shape the first block for this year's incoming class. Other changes have been made in "real time," so to speak, for my own class - they've changed aspects of how things were structured, based upon our feedback, within as little as a week of our discussions. The faculty is genuinely invested in ensuring that our education is the most effective for us as possible. They have open feedback sessions frequently, and make tangible changes based upon what you say.
  33. phnerd1105

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Guess who's gonna be one of the MPH students helping teach Block 1? :D

But yes I agree. While my experience has been limited to the MPH department, I have truly seen that professors at Case want to help and are extremely receptive to student feedback. Dr. Frank is one of the most gifted, hardworking and downright amazing individuals you will have the chance to meet. Not to mention kind hearted. He rocks, the school rocks, everything about Case rocks.
  34. Auriga

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    CCLCMer! <3 It makes me feel warm and fuzzy to see Resident under your name!

I have a sneaking suspicion that an explanation will soon manifest itself at post 51. Case has no class rank, thus it seems you two have to get your gunning in somewhere :p
    Remember, mandatory pic. And padding is for the lose. Yeah, I'm looking at you.

To give this post some substance, rather than just witty banter, I shall recap the returning cast for the new viewers :

University Program (UP): Myuu (M3), Auriga (M2), dntpanic (M2) and some others whose names I'll put in here as they come up.

Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine (CCLCM): vc7777 (M2), CCLCMer (PGY1), and potentially another classmate or two will peek their heads in.
  35. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    this thread is awesome, I love how you guys "staff" the thread
  36. Whatyousay

Whatyousay A few loose screws

SDN 2+ Year Member
    What are the hurdles involved in transferring into a different program following the first year (i.e. MD to MD/PhD or MD/MPH or something along those lines)? Is it even feasible? I would like to look into MD/PhD, but given that my current research background is probably not up to snuff, I figured getting into the MD program first would probably be the best option.

I was going to post something else, but I kept getting distracted by Myuu's avatar. Quite possibly the greatest thing I've ever seen.
  37. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    question concerning LOR's--this is what is says straight from the site
    "Letters of recommendation are considered critical to the decision-making process. We require three to five letters of recommendation from individuals who know the candidate well and who are in a capacity to judge the applicant's performance objectively (no family members or friends of family). At least two letters should be from research or science advisors/professors. A letter from a research advisor is required for the College Program and recommended for the University Program if applicable. A premedical committee evaluation will be considered in lieu of the three to five required letters with the addition of a letter from a research advisor for the College Program. Confidential letters and a specific statement that a student is in good standing are preferred. Commentary on any institutional action taken is desirable, when applicable."

Does this mean we have to have 3-5 letters in addition to a committee letter? I think I'm reading it wrong but just want to clarify because I'm using my committee letter and will only have 2 maybe 3 letters in addition to the committee letter
  38. vc7777

Medical Student
    You should be OK.

Many universities only do committee letters, and so what they are trying to say is that if you have one, it will be equivalent to the individual letters. Note the extra research letter requirement for CP (CCLCM).
  39. vc7777

Medical Student
    [​IMG]

Guantlet: Thrown!

I should have mentioned a little more about myself:

Check out my MDapps profile if you want the nitty-gritty of my past. Right now I am involved in a couple of things outside of class.

First, I attend many student lunch discussions for interview days, and have done some of the minority wrap-up sessions for CLCCM too. Second I am leadership this year for the Pediatric Emergency Response Initiative - we train parents on infant CPR before their children leave the Children's Hospital at Cleveland Clinic.
  40. Myuu

SDN 5+ Year Member
    So, I asked for you! If you have a committee letter that's fine. If you don't have a committee letter, send us 3-5 letters. But note, as vc777777777 said, for the CP you still need that one extra letter.:luck::xf:
  41. vc7777

Medical Student
    As I mentioned, I am a first year (for a couple more weeks) at CCLCM. Let me give you my week schedule as a sample of a first year CCLCM student:

Sunday Night
    finish SAQs (multilpe choice questions for our own benefit) on last week's material. Research and Answer two CAPPs (essays that are anonymously reviewed by expert faculty on cumulative knowledge). Do reading for Monday morning lecture

Monday
    8-10 Seminar - "Immunologic Mechanisms of Allergic Disorders"
    We are in our "HIM Block" Hematology Immunology and Microbiology block. CCLCM uses a "two pass" method, systems based curriculum. That is, we do mainly "normal" (physiology) the first year, and re-visit the second year for disease (aka pathology). The "systems" based means we group learning around common systems. For example, Cardiology and Pulmonology (heart and lung) are combined in the first block.

Anyway, we broke up for this seminar on Monday into "small groups" (I know, 32 isn't big to begin with, but 8 is comparatively small). Each small group was lead by someone in Immunology. My group was lead by the director of our transplant immunology department.

10-12 Problem Based Learning
    We break into 4 groups of 8. We were presented with a case in a narrative format without any prior knowledge of his condition. We developed questions about what we wanted to know (like "what is thrombocytopenia?") and hypothesis about the case (cheat for everyone: cancer is almost always on the differential :p). At the end of Monday PBL 4 people volunteer to take a particular topic, research it, and present the information as an 'expert' to all of us on Wed.

12-1 Lunch
    Was provided lunch by the Geriatrics staff while listening to two presentations about obesity in the elderly and delirium.

1-5 Geriatrics preceptorship
    Accompanied geriatrics fellow to nursing home. Was assigned a patient, did a full history, talked about her current problem list, did a mini mental exam, and performed a focused physical (cardiac, lungs, GI). Wrote up note into patient's chart (for real), and then went and found the fellow and gave her an oral presentation of my exam.

7-10 studied for Tuesday seminar
    10-11 vegged out

Tuesday
    8-10 We usually have Foundations in Clinical Medicine. However, being the last two weeks of the year, FCM was not scheduled. FCM is our medical humanities course. I actually like it a lot. I have no humanities in my background, but it is great to tackle some of these bigger ideas and concerns of becoming a physician. We had a playwright working with us this year and our reflective writing pieces were incorporated by him into a play he put on for the public a couple of months ago. How cool is that?

10-12 Seminar - "How the Immune System Works in Transplantation"
    Large group (32) discussion of the current state of transplant science. CCLCM is an interesting place, because we did one of the first near-total face transplants. Some of my upper classmates were involved in the operation, I hear.

1-5 Longitudinal Preceptorship - CCF Solon Family Health Center
    As first years, we spend every other week in clinic seeing patients. We observe our "preceptor", see patients alone, and see patients together. We develop skills that I think are pretty advanced for our stage of learning. My preceptor was delayed at a meeting off site, so I saw the first patient on my own before he was even there. Wow! Never thought I would be able to do that a year ago! This isn't mamby-pamby "shadowing" here. I took the chief complaint, full history, focuses review of systems (ROS), and did a brief physical exam. I actually heard my first extra heart sound and so I investigated further and did a complete cardiac exam. When my preceptor was back, I presented the patient, noted the heart sound, and was given mad props for finding it. :thumbup:

This was my last longitudinal preceptorship before break, and so my preceptor and I got to talking about what LC means. He said it isn't important to be ahead of everyone else at this stage. But rather, he said it will come in handy to have this all be familiar before we hit the wards. Why? Because then we can focus our energies on the art of medicine, the pathology, the issues. I said it was like children learning to read and then reading to learn. That point of inversion denotes the beginning of an explosive phase of learning. I'm not very good at the physical exams, or the oral presentations. But I have a confidence I didn't have before. And I am trying to get this all down before the end of second year. I hope to hit the ground running when 3rd/4th year rolls around. Pretty cool right?

5-7 Dinner
    Met a classmate at a nice little open air cafe across from Great Lakes Brewery and the Westside Market. Had musssels and a delightful sandwich with a good beer. Indians were playing so lots of people were out.

Wednesday
    8-10 Seminar - Pharmacology - Adverse Drug Reactions
    "Large group" seminar given by a PharmD. Interactive seminar going over common symptoms and side effects of many of the antibiotics used in the hospital.

10-12 PBL - Part II
    Four 15 min presentations on various topics are given by my classmates. Sometimes these are power point, sometimes "chalk-talks". Other times, they are more interactive, mutli-media, etc. We then turn our attention to the case again. This time, more information is revealed to us. It might be a new disease, a complication of treatment, or new symptoms. Wednesday is sort of like "sweeps week" on TV - there is usually a surprise or some other development that catches our attention. The four people who did not present on Wed are assigned topics to present on Friday.

12-5 Studying

5-7 Dinner
    Took a friend to a nice taqueria called Mi Pueblo. There Mole is not the greatest, but it is not from a jar (I can tell). So I give them kudos for making it. Otherwise a pleasant dinner.

Thursday
    Usually, Thursday is a free day from CCLCM. There are no seminars, no PBL. Many students take Masters classes on these days. I took CMED401 which was Intro to Clinical Research and I am planning on getting a masters in Clinical Research through the Clinic Research Scholars Program (CRSP - or "crisp"). CRSP is done for the semester, so I actually had nothing scheduled this morning.

2:45 - 5
    Sub-Acute Preceptorship
    Tonight I go to a "step-down" facility and have to do the following:

History taking and a physical
    examination on patient – 60 minutes
    Prepare for presenting to the preceptor – 15 minutes
    Present the history and physical findings to your preceptor – 15 minutes
    Preceptor feedback – 15 minutes

I'll tell you how it goes.

Until then, I am typing on SDN, working on my presentation for PBL, and reading up on seminar material for Friday

8-10 Seminar - "Virology II" focusing on HIV and other retroviruses
    Based on the room assignment, it looks like it will be a "large group" discussion tomorrow.

11-12 PBL - I will present my information to the group, along with three other members. Then we will wrap up the case, discuss whether or not we hit all of the learning objectives the course directors wanted us to cover (we are not told ahead of time what they are).

1-2:30 Advanced Research in Medicine
    ARM is an intimate venue to listen firsthand thought leaders talk about the current direction of their research. The research is usually tied to the block we are in. For example, Dr. Fairchild will be presenting some of his current work on allograph rejection tomorrow, and it ties in nicely with what we have been learning this past week. Two weeks ago Dr. Tuohy came and talked about about his breast cancer vaccine research here at CCF.

Lather.
    Rinse.
    Repeat.
  42. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    thanks! I'll probably use my committee letter + 2 letters! I think I'll be applying UP after doing some research....I saw the match list, 7 matched into nsurg....:love:
  43. vc7777

Medical Student
    No problem. Please keep in mind that the number of people going into neurosurgery is highly variable at any school. If there are more people interested in a particular specialty, there will be more matches. Perhaps more so with this specialty because it is a very demanding lifestyle. I will say that our success should convince you that Case will not limit you if that is what you desire. :)
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
  44. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    you are absolutely right, but 7 from one school is impressive nonetheless. It definitely shows that the faculty in that department are extremely helpful and receptive to students, and that's a big plus.
  45. Myuu

SDN 5+ Year Member
    It's important to note that the match is more applicant-dependent than school dependent. Even so, 7 in neurosurg is pretty cool! :D
  46. vc7777

Medical Student

Here's a link to the case match list.
  47. Myuu

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Oh, wait. I think this is cheating.
  48. Myuu

SDN 5+ Year Member
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sooooo, vc7777 had alluded to this earlier, but as this is a quickly moving, almost social thread, we like to play and we'd love it if you'd join us!

Should you land a top post, please post a picture! Well, that's what normal threads do. In our threads, you will declare an allegiance with either pirates or ninjas (or in this case cyborg-pirate-ninjas). It's a weeeee bit of a competition, but it's all in good fun.

NO POST PADDING!!!
  49. Auriga

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    [​IMG]
    Well done, Myuu. This demonstrates both your dedication to helping Case applicants and your sliiiiiiight addictive tendencies. We loves yuu.
  50. Whatyousay

Whatyousay A few loose screws

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just out of curiosity, do all the Case posters know each other IRL, or are your interactions strictly limited to SDN?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.