2011-2012 Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at FAU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would those invited for interviews mind posting stats? Don't feel obligated. I'm just curious.

You can check my MDApps.

Members don't see this ad.

Any recent IIs go out? And if so what days were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
gbc85, i sent my secondary out on 10/3 and prelim review was completed on 10/6. still waiting to hear about interview.

gbc85, i sent my secondary out on 10/3 and prelim review was completed on 10/6. still waiting to hear about interview.

Totally complete 10/24 with a Preliminary Review Complete status. Any idea what the next status is? or those with II what the time frame is for a possible II?

I'm interviewing here soon-ish, but I've never seen the med school or even the campus. Anyone have any general impressions of the med school? I know it's really new, but does anyone know about the facilities, etc.?

I'm interviewing here soon-ish, but I've never seen the med school or even the campus. Anyone have any general impressions of the med school? I know it's really new, but does anyone know about the facilities, etc.?

The building that houses the medical school is at least 10 years old; it's the Biomedical Sciences building. It's still in good shape, though.

I was complete on 8/4, and have been sitting at prelim review complete for awhile now.....Is this unusual?

I was complete on 8/4, and have been sitting at prelim review complete for awhile now.....Is this unusual?

I've been on PRC for awhile as well. Having seen a previous thread about your stats, and knowing mine are similar, I think we just need to be patient.

Congrats on the FSU II btw, I don't have a single one yet haha.

Just got an II today! woooot!

First available IIs are now mid january (mine is January 12th!)

To those that have interviews, how did they go? And any recommendations? Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Just got an II today! woooot!

First available IIs are now mid january (mine is January 12th!)

To those that have interviews, how did they go? And any recommendations? Thanks and good luck to everyone!

congrats! mind sharing when your secondary was complete? thanks!

congrats! mind sharing when your secondary was complete? thanks!

Sure thing:

Completed Secondary: 8/25
"Preliminary Review Completed": 9/27
Sent in Update: Somewhere around beginning of October

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure thing:

thanks a lot. hopefully i'll be getting one soon :D. i was marked PRC about 2 weeks after you.

congrats again and good luck in your interview!

thanks a lot. hopefully i'll be getting one soon :D. i was marked PRC about 2 weeks after you.

congrats again and good luck in your interview!
PRC in between you two. Hopefully we will hear soon! The waiting is so hard

PRC in between you two. Hopefully we will hear soon! The waiting is so hard

I was PRC on 9/13 and II on 9/29. At that point the first available interview date was 12/1. Luckily, due to a cancellation I'm finally interviewing next week!

Hey guys. I canceled my November 15th interview and withdrew my app from FAU today, just in case any of you are interested in rescheduling for 11/15. Good luck, everyone!

Hey guys. I canceled my November 15th interview and withdrew my app from FAU today, just in case any of you are interested in rescheduling for 11/15. Good luck, everyone!

+1, except my date was 11/29. :luck:

Sure thing:

Did you use the update feature on the secondary application/status site, or email the admissions office?

Did you use the update feature on the secondary application/status site, or email the admissions office?

I emailed the office and they instructed me to use the update feature. haha

I don't know if anyone else has multiple Florida interviews next week -- but it seems I'll be driving up and down 95 quite a bit. My parents live in the Ft. Pierce / St. Lucie area so I will be driving to FAU Thursday --> home --> UCF Friday --> home --> UMiami Monday --> home --> Orlando Airport Tuesday.

If anyone is along the way, please PM me. I have a car and I'd be happy to carpool during any of these legs to save some gas money.

Awesome interview today. They really stress the fact that everyone knows everyone. They are really big on PBL which is a huge plus for me. Two interviews...both were very conversational in nature. Both my interviewers were laid back, cheerful, and easy going. You can tell that they love the fact that their curriculum is integrated. Current students seem very happy. I personally would be thrilled to go here....Good luck to any future interviewees!! Let me know if you have any questions...

Hey, can anyone tell me the best airport to fly into and closest hotel to FAU?

I dont know much about hotels but I can tell you that the Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale International Airport is an AWESOME AIRPORT! I think there may be one in palm beach that may be closer but I'm not sure how many flights they have. DO NOT FLY MIAMI if you can help it for two reasons, one it is much further and two it totally sucks to fly into/out of.

Palm Beach International has a bunch of flights, and they're a much better airport than Ft. Lauderdale, in my opinion (it's my hometown airport). Security is always super fast at PBI, and they're closer to Boca.

See you all there tomorrow, hope this interview leads to my first acceptance!

Hey, can anyone tell me the best airport to fly into and closest hotel to FAU?

Yea, I usually try to fly into Palm Beach -- but sometimes Ft. Lauderdale is significantly cheaper. It's only a 30min difference, so if you will have a car, you can do either. If you are using taxis/public transport, I'd definitely go with PBI

Ok, so Palm Beach is closer? Also, does anyone know how long the interview day takes? The style of the interview?

Ok, so Palm Beach is closer? Also, does anyone know how long the interview day takes? The style of the interview?

Interview day was over about 2:00 p.m. Two interviews each one half hour. People in my group said they got asked some pretty tough questions involving policy and ethics and some said that the interview was a pretty straightforward and conversational. So I guess be ready for anything. Good Luck! :thumbup: :)

ACCEPTED! Interviewed 11/15. In state. And first acceptance. Just got phone call

Last edited:
Interviewing on Thursday!

Any recommendations? How did it go? I know it's 2 interviews, 30 min each and open file...

Any tough questions? Anything you recommend I read up on? Anything FAU particularly looks out for? I just haven't heard much about how the interviews are so I'm a little worried.

Super excited though to see FAU and I hope I can be a part of this coming class! Thanks everyone!

I think I enjoyed the interviews at FAU the best! (I also interviewed at FIU, UCF and UMiami). Everyone is very welcoming and super excited to be there.

When you arrive there will be a few faculty members in the room to chat. Then you will have a welcome with Dr. Hinkley (Dean of Admissions) followed by an overview of the curriculum with the Deans of Medical Education, Student Affairs and/or Diversity, Cultural and Student Affairs.

Interviews begin at 10am and they are back to back. One interview will be general conversation about your application. Nothing tough or tricky - it was actually really enjoyable (mine was with a faculty member). The second interview will be aimed at looking at your problem solving / critical thinking with some questions regarding ethical scenarios (mine was with a community physician). Again, this was not intimidating at all and he even made sure to let me know that there were no right or wrong answers.

After that you head on a bus to the Simulation Center -- where again you meet with a faculty member who is SUPER excited to have you there and gives a great tour. The off to a tour of the Boca Raton Regional Hospital and lunch. I'd definitely make sure to eat a decent breakfast before you get there in the morning because we were all starving by the time lunch arrived.

When you return, you will talk with someone from Financial Aid and then Dr. Hinkley will go over "what happens next?" and let you know exactly when you will hear a decision. He will call everyone from the group on the same day after a decision has been made (accepted, rejected or WL).

It was definitely an amazing day... they really sold me with the intimate classroom setting (only 64 students per class, no plans to increase). All of the faculty / staff seem extremely excited to be there and provide a great learning environment! They also make sure you know that this must also be a good fit for YOU. They advised many times if you are the type that wants to sit in the back of the class, blend in or never show up, then its definitely not the place for you! It's all about fit for you AND for them...

Enjoy!!

Decisions are being made today. Good luck to everyone!!!!!

___

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I just got accepted last night! Stoked!
A little about me: I interviewed on Dec 1st, 2011. I was initially scheduled on Jan 12th but I called the office of admissions and they put me on a list to interview earlier if someone dropped out of the interview that was already scheduled. This is my second time applying to FAU (I applied there last year and was interviewed but wait-listed and never heard anything). I retook the MCAT and got a 29 with a GPA of 3.95/3.92 from UF for this application cycle. I know a whole bunch about FAU, and about the interviews so if anyone wants to connect or ask questions about the interviews (specific and general) please feel free to post or give me your e-mail.
There are many acceptances to go!

I just interviewed here yesterday. The school far exceeded my expectations! Everyone is incredibly happy here, and the group is very close-knit. The faculty are dedicated to teaching students, and are extremely open to feedback. Excellent school overall!

Set-up: The day starts off with a Welcoem from Dean Hinkley, the Associate Dean of Admissions. Then, Dean Marckowitz and Dean Servoss give an overview of the program. This is following by two 30-minute interviews. The first interview is an informal, more traditional interview where the interviewer asks questions about your application. The second interview a bit more formal, and the interviewer is more interested in reflection-type questions (i.e. what did you learn from a difficulty in your life, what activity are you most proud of, etc.). After the interviews, the students head over with Agnes, the Admissions Coordinator, to the Simulation Center, then a tour of Lynn Cancer Center, lunch with medical students, and finally, a tour oft he college of medicine. The day ends with a presentation from Marissa Smith, the Director for Financial Aid, and Dean Hinkley, who discusses the time frame applicants will hear by. Regardless of the decision (accepted, rejected, or waitlisted), each applicant will receive a call from the Dean.

Food provided: Breakfast (coffee and donuts from Dunkin' Donuts) and Lunch (sandwich, chips, drink)

Questions you absolutely HAVE to know: Nothing in particular. Just know your application well, and be able to readily describe/ reflect on your activities and experiences

Questions of interest:
* Is attendance mandatory? No, unless it's PBL or Foundations of Medicine
* What type of curriculum? Integrated throughout the four years (meaning clerkships are also integrated)
* How many hours of lectures? 10 hours of testable material. Dean Rose actually takes each exam, and if he cannot take the exam and answer every question based on the lectures the exam is based on, the question is thrown out! Also, you are not tested on talks by guest speakers.
* Is the curriculum available online? Yes, every class you take in your four years will be recorded, and can be accessed at any time
* Will the class size be upped in the future years? No, it is 64 for the foreseeable future.
* Is there a ranking system? The grading system for the first two years is pass/fail. However, the top 25% of each class are rewarded honors in that subject.
* Is research required? No, and students are discouraged from pursuing any until at least the first semester is over because medical school requires adjustment. Also, there is plenty of time between first and second year to pursue meaningful research since the summer break is 10 weeks.
* Is there a medical library? No, each student has their own space (desk and chair) in the College of Medicine building, and all materials are accessible via the main library
* How does Anatomy work? Anatomy course runs till March of the following semester, and there are no tests, just quizzes. As for dissection, students are split up in groups of eight. Four students within a group dissect one week while the other group is looking at Osteology and Clinical Images. So in total, no group of four is in lab more than two sessions per month.
* How does PBL work? PBL is three times a week, and one week typically correlates with one case. Some students really love it, but most agree that the experience depends on the group you are in and the involvement of the facilitator.
* How do the learning communities work? Each learning community has an advisor, and this advisor is responsible for ensuring the student is staying on track with grades. Each week, students have lunch with their advisor.
* Do you need a car? Theoretically, you don't need one for the first two years, except for preceptorship, at which point you can just get a ride since it's only once a week. However, looking at Boca, I think it's a necessity.
* Do you get to select you preceptor? No, this selection is random. However, it doesn't seem set in stone since we met a student who had her preceptor changed due to transportation difficulties.
* How does rotations for third and fourth years work? There are three hospitals in three regions around Boca: Central, North, and South. You are placed in a site at random.

Hope this helps, and good luck :luck:

TONS of luck :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

to those of us that the committee is deciding on and those of us that might get a call today from Dean Hinkley!!!!

:xf::xf: that we all get in! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.