2011-2012 Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at FAU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!! my first of the year, so pumped!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Same here! I am so excited! I :love: FAU!
PS- I was the Asian girl who accosted you about your SDN identity :laugh:
Congratulations you two :) FAU was my first acceptance too. I know how you feel...

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me what building to go to on interview day or where I can go to find more information on where I am suppose to be? Thanks.

Can anyone tell me what building to go to on interview day or where I can go to find more information on where I am suppose to be? Thanks.

You can search the campus map here: http://uavp.fau.edu/boca/index.html

Once you select the College of Medicine building, it will be marked with a pushpin. You'll then have to magnify the view to see it. The building is very close to the main administration building, and the building itself says "Biomedical Sciences" on it.

Does anyone know how far through the admissions process FAU is? Are they still extending interview invites?

yeah, I got an II last thursday, and they still had 5 or 6 available dates through early February.

I have an interview here Tuesday (1/17) I saw someone mentioned that the second interview had tougher questions on policy and ethics. Can someone elaborate on what you mean by policy questions? I'm hoping you just mean in terms of ethics questions like workplace policies- seeing violations of these and how would you respond? I was grilled at another interview about explaining the differences and pros and cons of managed care, HMOs, medicare, medicaid etc and asked a lot of healthcare current event problems and specifically how I would solve them so I may just be shell-shocked from that whole experience.... (I swear I felt like I was being grilled at a presidential primary for about 10 mins there lol) Any other tips for interview day would be greatly appreciated there's not much on interview feedback so just thought I'd try here. Thanks in advance! Good luck to everyone and congrats to all the acceptances!!

Great school, great interview day but FYI they have already accepted enough ppl to fill their class so your only interview outcomes are wait listed or rejected at the point. Just a heads up.

Great... I am still waiting to hear back from any FL schools.

Great school, great interview day but FYI they have already accepted enough ppl to fill their class so your only interview outcomes are wait listed or rejected at the point. Just a heads up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who told you this, Dr. Pepper?

could you explain this a little more?

I just got an interview invite yesterday, OOS

Who told you this, Dr. Pepper?

Someone on the admissions staff told me, I wouldn't scare everyone with a rumor. BUUUT when I called to ask a question the other day I brought this up and they told me it was true but that last year over a third of their class came off of the wait-list and that the number of acceptances had only recently been filled so please do not give up hope if you love this school! Good luck everyone!

Someone on the admissions staff told me, I wouldn't scare everyone with a rumor. BUUUT when I called to ask a question the other day I brought this up and they told me it was true but that last year over a third of their class came off of the wait-list and that the number of acceptances had only recently been filled so please do not give up hope if you love this school! Good luck everyone!

That's pretty crazy and shows how important it is to interview early. I think my interview was originally scheduled for sometime this month, but I called and was able to get it moved up to mid December and received an acceptance a week later.

I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 schools and I'm alternate listed at FIU so it's crazy to think if I wasn't proactive in moving my interview date I may have been wait listed and not have a single acceptance yet. Good luck to everyone still waiting in this process, I had a really tough cycle last year and it's made me really thankful for having this acceptance to an amazing school.

Good luck!!!

FAU still stands as my only acceptance. What are the benefits of being among the first classes?

On a somewhat similar note of what would be the benefits...
does anyone have any idea of when we can expect to hear about our financial packages? when I interviewed they weren't ready to even tell us what the tuition for next year would exactly be...

The benefit of knowing that you're helping to make things go more smoothly for future classes?

I think one of the biggest benefits is the opportunity for leadership--nothing has been established in terms of clubs or initiatives and that means you can trail-blaze the path. The administration is also more responsive to student needs, so as Cinclus mentions, things will be smoother for future classes when it comes to the curriculum.

When I interviewed at FAU, I never got the feeling the students were guinea pigs. FAU's medical school had been established 10 years prior to this, and it shows. The only negative I can think of for the program is the unique curriculum, which either works for you or doesn't. If you like being the person in the back who takes note and then studies on their own, then I imagine PBL would be frustrating. But if you like being involved and being part of a close-knit community, then nothing can beat FAU, which is guaranteed to only have 64 students per year!

I hope this helps. :luck:

ha oh well. im interviewing there in a few weeks so at least its an excuse for me to take a nice weekend vacation down there

FAU still stands as my only acceptance. What are the benefits of being among the first classes?

You are going to be an M.D.? lol. You can shape the culture of school. Start a student-run clinic.

anyone else interviewing here next tuesday 2/7? I'm kind of bummed that they already filled their class though -__-

Anyone know if they are still sending out II? I've been "Prelim Review Completed" since 10/13 :(

Anyone know if they are still sending out II? I've been "Prelim Review Completed" since 10/13 :(

I was complete in early September and I received an II 2 days ago. Unfortunately I won't be able to go, but I'm hoping you can get it instead!

The available interview dates as of 02/06/2012 are Feb 21 and Feb 28. I will not be going to my interview, so good luck to the rest of the waiting faithful.

Would it be wise to inquire about application status (anything after "preliminary review complete")? I am debating on whether or not to use my last update within the portal. Thanks.

I would definitely recommend doing it. One month is more than enough for an app to go through the preliminary review stage, and there's no point in taking a risk. His direct phone line is 561-297-3694. :luck:

So I submitted my secondary around the end of October and my online status stayed at secondary submitted until late November when I submitted an update. My status instantly changed to preliminary review started and stayed that way into mid January. I emailed the admissions office inquiring if my application was okay but I got the standard "just be patient we're busy due to the number of applicants" reply.

After reading this thread yesterday (and 3 months of patience), I decided to phone admissions using the number quoted and I was patched through to a counselor who said there was something wrong with a number of applicants whose status got stuck this way. They promised to look into it and someone would call me by the end of the business day. No one ever called, but my status did change to preliminary review completed.

Has this happened to anyone else? I have this nagging feeling my application was just sitting somewhere and now the whole class is filled.

Interview invite! Still 4 dates left...from what i saw feb 28th, mar 1st, 6th and 8th left. I will be going on the 28th, how is everyone feeling about this school? That sucks if we are going to the interview for a spot on the waitlist...but thats just the way it is I guess.

So I submitted my secondary around the end of October and my online status stayed at secondary submitted until late November when I submitted an update. My status instantly changed to preliminary review started and stayed that way into mid January. I emailed the admissions office inquiring if my application was okay but I got the standard "just be patient we're busy due to the number of applicants" reply.

After reading this thread yesterday (and 3 months of patience), I decided to phone admissions using the number quoted and I was patched through to a counselor who said there was something wrong with a number of applicants whose status got stuck this way. They promised to look into it and someone would call me by the end of the business day. No one ever called, but my status did change to preliminary review completed.

Has this happened to anyone else? I have this nagging feeling my application was just sitting somewhere and now the whole class is filled.

The same had happened to me, but my app was in the review stage for approximately one and a half months before I inquired into it. I would highly recommend e-mailing Dr. Hinkley if the number doesn't put you into direct contact with him. He is very receptive to students, and I know he would look into it for you. :luck:

The same had happened to me, but my app was in the review stage for approximately one and a half months before I inquired into it. I would highly recommend e-mailing Dr. Hinkley if the number doesn't put you into direct contact with him. He is very receptive to students, and I know he would look into it for you. :luck:

Thanks! Do you have a direct email for him?

I just interviewed here yesterday. The school far exceeded my expectations! Everyone is incredibly happy here, and the group is very close-knit. The faculty are dedicated to teaching students, and are extremely open to feedback. Excellent school overall!

Set-up: The day starts off with a Welcoem from Dean Hinkley, the Associate Dean of Admissions. Then, Dean Marckowitz and Dean Servoss give an overview of the program. This is following by two 30-minute interviews. The first interview is an informal, more traditional interview where the interviewer asks questions about your application. The second interview a bit more formal, and the interviewer is more interested in reflection-type questions (i.e. what did you learn from a difficulty in your life, what activity are you most proud of, etc.). After the interviews, the students head over with Agnes, the Admissions Coordinator, to the Simulation Center, then a tour of Lynn Cancer Center, lunch with medical students, and finally, a tour oft he college of medicine. The day ends with a presentation from Marissa Smith, the Director for Financial Aid, and Dean Hinkley, who discusses the time frame applicants will hear by. Regardless of the decision (accepted, rejected, or waitlisted), each applicant will receive a call from the Dean.

Food provided: Breakfast (coffee and donuts from Dunkin' Donuts) and Lunch (sandwich, chips, drink)

Questions you absolutely HAVE to know: Nothing in particular. Just know your application well, and be able to readily describe/ reflect on your activities and experiences

Questions of interest:
* Is attendance mandatory? No, unless it's PBL or Foundations of Medicine
* What type of curriculum? Integrated throughout the four years (meaning clerkships are also integrated)
* How many hours of lectures? 10 hours of testable material. Dean Rose actually takes each exam, and if he cannot take the exam and answer every question based on the lectures the exam is based on, the question is thrown out! Also, you are not tested on talks by guest speakers.
* Is the curriculum available online? Yes, every class you take in your four years will be recorded, and can be accessed at any time
* Will the class size be upped in the future years? No, it is 64 for the foreseeable future.
* Is there a ranking system? The grading system for the first two years is pass/fail. However, the top 25% of each class are rewarded honors in that subject.
* Is research required? No, and students are discouraged from pursuing any until at least the first semester is over because medical school requires adjustment. Also, there is plenty of time between first and second year to pursue meaningful research since the summer break is 10 weeks.
* Is there a medical library? No, each student has their own space (desk and chair) in the College of Medicine building, and all materials are accessible via the main library
* How does Anatomy work? Anatomy course runs till March of the following semester, and there are no tests, just quizzes. As for dissection, students are split up in groups of eight. Four students within a group dissect one week while the other group is looking at Osteology and Clinical Images. So in total, no group of four is in lab more than two sessions per month.
* How does PBL work? PBL is three times a week, and one week typically correlates with one case. Some students really love it, but most agree that the experience depends on the group you are in and the involvement of the facilitator.
* How do the learning communities work? Each learning community has an advisor, and this advisor is responsible for ensuring the student is staying on track with grades. Each week, students have lunch with their advisor.
* Do you need a car? Theoretically, you don't need one for the first two years, except for preceptorship, at which point you can just get a ride since it's only once a week. However, looking at Boca, I think it's a necessity.
* Do you get to select you preceptor? No, this selection is random. However, it doesn't seem set in stone since we met a student who had her preceptor changed due to transportation difficulties.
* How does rotations for third and fourth years work? There are three hospitals in three regions around Boca: Central, North, and South. You are placed in a site at random.

Hope this helps, and good luck :luck:

Thanks for the detailed post! Just a few questions..did they talk at all about the accreditation process is going? What is your feel on the rotations you will be doing in FAU and the program they set up for that? Not sure if you went anywhere else, but is there something that really sticks out to you that differs from the other schools?

Does anyone know if there is a facebook page for next year's class yet?

There is some erroneous information in here. Marked in red and fixed below.

I just interviewed here yesterday. The school far exceeded my expectations! Everyone is incredibly happy here, and the group is very close-knit. The faculty are dedicated to teaching students, and are extremely open to feedback. Excellent school overall!

Set-up: The day starts off with a Welcoem from Dean Hinkley, the Associate Dean of Admissions. Then, Dean Marckowitz and Dean Servoss give an overview of the program. This is following by two 30-minute interviews. The first interview is an informal, more traditional interview where the interviewer asks questions about your application. The second interview a bit more formal, and the interviewer is more interested in reflection-type questions (i.e. what did you learn from a difficulty in your life, what activity are you most proud of, etc.). After the interviews, the students head over with Agnes, the Admissions Coordinator, to the Simulation Center, then a tour of Lynn Cancer Center, lunch with medical students, and finally, a tour oft he college of medicine. The day ends with a presentation from Marissa Smith, the Director for Financial Aid, and Dean Hinkley, who discusses the time frame applicants will hear by. Regardless of the decision (accepted, rejected, or waitlisted), each applicant will receive a call from the Dean.

Food provided: Breakfast (coffee and donuts from Dunkin' Donuts) and Lunch (sandwich, chips, drink)

Questions you absolutely HAVE to know: Nothing in particular. Just know your application well, and be able to readily describe/ reflect on your activities and experiences

Questions of interest:
* Is attendance mandatory? No, unless it's PBL or Foundations of Medicine
* What type of curriculum? Integrated throughout the four years (meaning clerkships are also integrated)
* How many hours of lectures? 10 hours of testable material. Dean Rose actually takes each exam, and if he cannot take the exam and answer every question based on the lectures the exam is based on, the question is thrown out! Also, you are not tested on talks by guest speakers. I don't know where this is coming from. Dr. Rose isn't a Dean. I think it was somewhere near 15 hours of testable material for the first course. For some perspective, we just had an exam with 34 classroom hours and then something like 15 hours of PBL included.
* Is the curriculum available online? Yes, every class you take in your four years will be recorded, and can be accessed at any time Not exactly. Most, but not all sessions are recorded; everything that shows up on a test is though.
* Will the class size be upped in the future years? No, it is 64 for the foreseeable future.
* Is there a ranking system? The grading system for the first two years is pass/fail. However, the top 25% of each class are rewarded honors in that subject.
* Is research required? No, and students are discouraged from pursuing any until at least the first semester is over because medical school requires adjustment. Also, there is plenty of time between first and second year to pursue meaningful research since the summer break is 10 weeks.
* Is there a medical library? No, each student has their own space (desk and chair) in the College of Medicine building, and all materials are accessible via the main library
* How does Anatomy work? Anatomy course runs till March of the following semester, and there are no tests, just quizzes. As for dissection, students are split up in groups of eight. Four students within a group dissect one week while the other group is looking at Osteology and Clinical Images. So in total, no group of four is in lab more than two sessions per month. Don't forget about practical exams!
* How does PBL work? PBL is three times a week, and one week typically correlates with one case. Some students really love it, but most agree that the experience depends on the group you are in and the involvement of the facilitator.
* How do the learning communities work? Each learning community has an advisor, and this advisor is responsible for ensuring the student is staying on track with grades. Each week, students have lunch with their advisor. It's more like once a month.
* Do you need a car? Theoretically, you don't need one for the first two years, except for preceptorship, at which point you can just get a ride since it's only once a week. However, looking at Boca, I think it's a necessity.
* Do you get to select you preceptor? No, this selection is random. However, it doesn't seem set in stone since we met a student who had her preceptor changed due to transportation difficulties.
* How does rotations for third and fourth years work? There are three hospitals in three regions around Boca: Central, North, and South. You are placed in a site at random. This would be news to me. I'm pretty sure we get a choice considering that most of the students will move somewhere nearer to their hospital block. None of them are terribly far, but a 30 mile (each way) commute to the North or South block every day on 95 sounds awful.

Hope this helps, and good luck :luck:

And to answer the first question here...

Thanks for the detailed post! Just a few questions..did they talk at all about the accreditation process is going? What is your feel on the rotations you will be doing in FAU and the program they set up for that? Not sure if you went anywhere else, but is there something that really sticks out to you that differs from the other schools?

There is a student panel of 8 heading up the student end of the LCME committee. All of us have already -- and will continue to -- have a role in accreditation. The faculty is involved much more heavily. I don't know how any of this will affect the M1s next year because a lot of the process will be based on the first class. Don't worry, we're awesome and it will all go smoothly.

I would say the administration seems to have all their stuff together. They have modeled the internships after Harvard's New Pathway MD program, and all the sites are already set up (we didn't get to visit them on interview day unfortunately; I am going to Boca this Friday and will try to see if I can set up a vsit). I would say the camaraderie of the students was distinct from many schools (when we went out to dinner the night before the interview, a quarter of the class was there!), and the opportunity to trailblaze the path since there are no clubs, organizations, or initiatives. I don't remember them talking about the accreditatin process, but I am assuming they are on path since they had already been established for ten years prior to this. :luck:

Alternate list with an approval rating from the committee that puts me "near the top of the alternate list." I'm happy it's good news, I just have to be patient and wait some more.

I interviewed back in November -- but here's what I remember:

- They did talk about accreditation.. I think after next year they will apply for provisional accreditation and then when this years class is in 4th year they can apply for full accreditation. Dr. Hinkley chatted with a group of us afterwards about it, and it seems that they have all of their ducks in a row. Since the program is not completely new (since it's derived from the Miami satellite program) they seem pretty up to speed with everything.

- Rotations seem great! They use integrated clerkships, which is different than the traditional set up, but I personally think this is advantageous and would prefer to learn this way. They have 3 "clusters", each with a few hospitals where you complete your clerkships around the boca/palm beach area. From their website: "In year 3, students are placed with a group of physicians at affiliated community hospitals for an extended period, rather than completing short discipline-specific clerkships in random order at multiple sites. Each module integrates across several specialties (e.g., surgery, medicine, critical care, anesthesia, and neurology). Students learn within a health care system, mastering clinical skills and knowledge and getting to know not only the patients, but also the doctors, nurses and other members of the health care team.Foundations of Medicine in years 3 and 4 includes a continuity clinic one half-day each week. Throughout year 3, there is an additional half-day each week set aside for students to pursue their own interests - such as clinical experiences in subspecialties, research, or community health projects. During year 4, students have the opportunity to take a wide range of hospital-based and other electives in addition to required sub-internships. The Transition to Internship course at the end of year 4 brings all our students together for an immersion experience to prepare them for the next phase of their education - residency"

- I attended interviews at 7 schools, and at no other school did I feel as "special" as they made me feel at FAU. It seemed like my interviewers KNEW my application inside and out, and made that apparent not just in the interview, but throughout the day. Also, they are set on 64 students per class, at the minimum until they earn full accreditation (that's in their plan) -- so the "small town" feel will remain. I definitely felt like it was a place where everyone knew your name -- and I think, for me, that is a HUGE advantages (your Dean's letter is what's going to make the difference when applying to residency!) Also, since the school is newly independent, I felt like every faculty member I met WANTED to be there. They had so much energy, which I definitely did not see anywhere else. They are so excited about the school, and its definitely apparent. Also, I really liked how they had a composite of the students in the lecture hall so even the lecturer can learn who each student is. I want a personalized education and I think you will definitely get that at FAU.

For those interested-

Interview Invite Today!

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up!

Aarsdam: I stayed with a student host, and that's the information that person shared :confused:

I will not name the host for obvious reasons, but thank you for correcting the mistakes :)

:luck:

Aarsdam: I stayed with a student host, and that's the information that person shared :confused:

I will not name the host for obvious reasons, but thank you for correcting the mistakes :)

:luck:

;) We love the excitement. Congratulations to everybody who is already in and good luck to those still on the alternate list and interviewing.

Just a hint to those of you who will be interviewing in the near future: talk to us (ALOT) at the interview lunch -- we really want to get a sense of who you all are because we are just as excited as the faculty is to meet you guys...and get free lunch.

PS I'm still waiting for an interviewee to send a funny email requesting a student host with a litany of outrageous requests. Someone please end my disappointment. :xf:

Just got an interview invite today! I'm from California and submitted in December! :)

I just find out that FAu medical students are taking Human Morph and Physiology with the undergraduates students.. avoid this school or fail your USMLE.

I just find out that FAu medical students are taking Human Morph and Physiology with the undergraduates students.. avoid this school or fail your USMLE.

This is absolutely false. There is no overlap between undergrad and med school classes. To address the second point, FAU's track record for USMLE scores is stellar (of course, I'm referring to when it was affiliated with UM, but my statement stands).

II today!!! Was just starting to loose hope!! Interview dates left were the last 2 Tuesdays and Thursdays of March!!! I'm scheduled for March 20th. Anyone else? Im from Jupiter and will be staying at home and driving down if anyone needs any transportation help!!

I think my friend my have have been lying

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.