2011-2012 Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at FAU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an undergraduate student at FAU. My friend who is the undergraduate Human Morphology and Physiology class told me this, at first I didnt believe it becuase the medical school is located in Boca and that Human Morphology and Physiology course is in Davie --40 mins away from boca but one day I saw the med school students car at the Davie location... medical students have purple decals, residents have green, faculty have red and commutters have blue.

P.S. FAU is not associated with UM any more.

Please stop spreading 2nd hand rumors. Current FAU med students do not commute to Davie for classes. Ever. If you saw one med student's car on the Davie campus, it doesn't mean that classes are there. There must be some other personal reason.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an undergraduate student at FAU. My friend who is the undergraduate Human Morphology and Physiology class told me this, at first I didnt believe it becuase the medical school is located in Boca and that Human Morphology and Physiology course is in Davie --40 mins away from boca but one day I saw the med school students car at the Davie location... medical students have purple decals, residents have green, faculty have red and commutters have blue.

P.S. FAU is not associated with UM any more.

Well at least you got the parking decal colors right.

We don't take classes with undergrads. We don't take "Human Morphology and Physiology." Please stop spreading ridiculous rumors.

II today!!! Was just starting to loose hope!! Interview dates left were the last 2 Tuesdays and Thursdays of March!!! I'm scheduled for March 20th. Anyone else? Im from Jupiter and will be staying at home and driving down if anyone needs any transportation help!!

Hey Congrats!! That's a great surprise! I'm sure you were starting to lose hope like the rest of us! lol What r ur stats if you dont mind sharing? Unfortunately I haven't heard anything from FAU, my status has said "Preliminary Review Complete" since September! ahh lol Best of luck to you though! That's great :) :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
My status was "Preliminary Review Completed" for a while, too. I ended up emailing admissions and telling them I had an interview in the same area and wanted to know if they were already considering giving me an interview. Turns out I was offered one that same afternoon via email. I go on March 6.
I am also going to the dinner on March 5. I am very familiar with the area, so if anyone needs directions or wants to meet up, let me know. :)

I was recently accepted and after looking through some of the information online, I was wondering whether a current student could provide me more information on housing.

Do med students (who dorm on campus) all live in the same place? (I think it was Innovation Village North?) And so your roommates would all be med students as well right?

Also, is anyone planning to dorm too? :)

I asked a current student about this - apparently Innovation Village is rather on the expensive side so not a lot of med students end up living there...he mentioned something about people who did potentially having to have an increase in their cost of living part of their loans compared to what was given as the usual number but I'm not entirely sure if this was just last year or its the same this year...I've been curious about apartments in the area too, Boca is pretty expensive!

Interview tomorrow. Stats:
MCAT: 32R
GPA: 4.0
Is is true that they are only interviewing for waitlist positions? That really sucks . . .

I wonder what kind of chance I have, interviewing for an OOS waitlist spot, of which there are only 10. LOL. I'm going on March 20.

I wonder what kind of chance I have, interviewing for an OOS waitlist spot, of which there are only 10. LOL. I'm going on March 20.

From my understanding, FAU does not separate OOS and IS applicants from their waitlist and any spot on the waitlist is open for the taking. Therefore, you are interviewing for the number one spot on the waitlist which is pretty much the same thing as an acceptance if just later in the year. Good luck!

I just read your MDApps...and wow on the number of schools to which you applied. Just thinking about how much you paid and the shear number of secondary applications you completed gives me a headache. Also, it is my understanding that FL schools no longer give in-state residency to OOS after one year.

I just read your MDApps...and wow on the number of schools to which you applied. Just thinking about how much you paid and the shear number of secondary applications you completed gives me a headache. Also, it is my understanding that FL schools no longer give in-state residency to OOS after one year.
Pretty sure that's the case. I had a bunch of interviews here in FL and all the financial aid speakers said that you basically need to buy property, get married to a FL resident, and/or work in the state for over a year in order to get in state residency changed from OOS to IS...

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview tomorrow. Stats:
MCAT: 32R
GPA: 4.0
Is is true that they are only interviewing for waitlist positions? That really sucks . . .

It is true that they are only interviewing for waitlist positions at this point but fret not. As someone said above, you're potentially interviewing for the number 1 waitlist position. I'm OOS and had similar stats as you (interviewed in february). At that time, they had already filled their class so I received the expected waitlist decision one week later. However, two weeks later, I was told that I was already at the top of the waitlist and received the acceptance call the same day. Good luck on your interview, anything is possible!

Last edited:
Dang interviewing OOS for a wait list? My interview is on the 27th and I'm spending 500 bucks for a flight to potentially get on a wait list lol... Well I guess you have to be optimistic, but it would be nice if they opened up a few more spots for oos applicants.

As a college student in Florida I have been hearing a ton about the budget cuts the legislature is passing. I know that FAU has had a huge cut to their budget, but I cannot seem to find out anywhere online if the COM was fully funded (since I know they get funding separately from the state then the rest of the University.) I know a few others schools whose general funds got cut still received their full COM funding, but I wanted to know if this was the case with FAU as well. If anyone can point me in the right direction! Thanks

Pretty sure that's the case. I had a bunch of interviews here in FL and all the financial aid speakers said that you basically need to buy property, get married to a FL resident, and/or work in the state for over a year in order to get in state residency changed from OOS to IS...

Oh ok. I had seen this page (http://www.fau.edu/admissions/residency/ProveClaim.php#proof) and I thought it was pretty similar to the New York residency guidelines.

However, do they require all the items at the bottom of the list?

Documents showing physical presence in Florida:

Lease Agreement
Utility Bills and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments
Declaration of Domicile
Proof of Purchase of a Permanent Home in Florida that is occupied as primary residence
Proof of Permanent Full-Time Employment

If what you guys say is true, I guess that means I'm going to this interview just for kicks... I was really looking forward to the easy residency change.

Also, when you say "and/or," do you mean just one of those 3 options plus 2 of these? Because buying property seems like a possibility.. the other 2 not so much.

Documents showing legal ties to Florida: (at least 2 documents from this list)

Florida Driver's License
Florida Voter's Registration Card
Florida Vehicle Registration
Florida Vehicle Title
Florida Professional or Occupational License
Florida Incorporation
Benefit Histories from Florida Agencies or Public Assistance Programs

I would like to know as well. My parents have owned their house since 1993, so I know I can use the homestead exemption. However, as for the other list, I do not own a car, so all I can provide is a driver's license and a voter's registration card, plus a state ID if necessary.

I visit Boca a lot when I am home (I am from Ft. Lauderdale), so I can help you out a bit wiith prices. I did hear that Innovation Village is on the expensive side, so I assume you may be looking to live off-campus. Most anything east of FAU (so towards the beach) is cheaper in general than anything west of FAU. In addition, you can live in northern Broward County (Deerfield Beach, Pompano Beach) and it would be even cheaper, except if you commute during rush hour, then it may take you over 30 minutes to get there. (From my home, it can take me 30-35 minutes to get to FAU area without any traffic, so it can take me an hour to get to FAU during rush hour.)

I also have some family in that area, so feel free to ask me more about housing.

Good luck!

...FAU's track record for USMLE scores is stellar (of course, I'm referring to when it was affiliated with UM, but my statement stands).

yep, 236 average over the past 6 years is what I heard. So the average student here scores above the 80th percentile nationwide. I'm a little scared to see how high the kids at the top of our class who rarely miss questions will score...

That is exactly what we were told too...stupid Florida budget laws

Do med students (who dorm on campus) all live in the same place? (I think it was Innovation Village North?) And so your roommates would all be med students as well right?

Yes to all; I believe they all live in the rooms on the top floor of IVN. I should probably be more sure of where they live, but we tend to hold our parties at the larger off-campus apartments, so I don't go there a lot

As a college student in Florida I have been hearing a ton about the budget cuts the legislature is passing. I know that FAU has had a huge cut to their budget, but I cannot seem to find out anywhere online if the COM was fully funded (since I know they get funding separately from the state then the rest of the University.) I know a few others schools whose general funds got cut still received their full COM funding, but I wanted to know if this was the case with FAU as well. If anyone can point me in the right direction! Thanks

Great question. Yes, there was a big statewide budget cut and we are seeing a tuition increase, which I'm not sure is directly related to the budget cut or not. But that is happening to several of my friends at state schools across the country, too. The question about funding is very important because it plays into our accreditation; if you've stayed on top of the news coming out of the LCME recently, you'll know that the Commonwealth med school in PA almost had a big problem with their accreditation steps because the LCME initially deemed their funding insufficient, or something like that. But CES COM is the FAU president's pride and joy. I even saw a patient who plays golf with the president and she told me how the president is constantly bragging about us. One of my classmates just asked if the budget cuts would affect out accreditation, and we got an answer straight from one of our Deans: it wasn't hard at all to convince the FAU president and other board members that prioritizing our funding is simply something that has to be done for accreditation purposes, and that's all there is to it. Everyone was on top of the whole budget thing before it ever became a problem and almost everyone involved has already successfully gone through the accreditation process while serving as faculty at other med schools.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Thats a huge relief to hear because obviously accreditation is a huge deal and also tuition/tuition increases in the next few years will play a huge part in many peoples decisions.

So... we're supposed to hear something today, right?

Just received the email for the alternate list.

Is there a most common place where medical students live off campus?

I just received my acceptance:love:. I am looking for roommate(s), anyone interested (sorry only females)?

yep, 236 average over the past 6 years is what I heard. So the average student here scores above the 80th percentile nationwide. I'm a little scared to see how high the kids at the top of our class who rarely miss questions will score...

That is exactly what we were told too...stupid Florida budget laws

Yes to all; I believe they all live in the rooms on the top floor of IVN. I should probably be more sure of where they live, but we tend to hold our parties at the larger off-campus apartments, so I don't go there a lot

Great question. Yes, there was a big statewide budget cut and we are seeing a tuition increase, which I'm not sure is directly related to the budget cut or not. But that is happening to several of my friends at state schools across the country, too. The question about funding is very important because it plays into our accreditation; if you've stayed on top of the news coming out of the LCME recently, you'll know that the Commonwealth med school in PA almost had a big problem with their accreditation steps because the LCME initially deemed their funding insufficient, or something like that. But CES COM is the FAU president's pride and joy. I even saw a patient who plays golf with the president and she told me how the president is constantly bragging about us. One of my classmates just asked if the budget cuts would affect out accreditation, and we got an answer straight from one of our Deans: it wasn't hard at all to convince the FAU president and other board members that prioritizing our funding is simply something that has to be done for accreditation purposes, and that's all there is to it. Everyone was on top of the whole budget thing before it ever became a problem and almost everyone involved has already successfully gone through the accreditation process while serving as faculty at other med schools.
Thanks for your input! It answered most of my questions. Can you clarify something about obtaining in state residency. Do we have to buy property, AND get married to a FL resident, AND work in the state for over a year to get in state residency changed from OOS to IS..? OR If we do 1 of these 3, we can still get in state residency? Thanks again.

Thanks for your input! It answered most of my questions. Can you clarify something about obtaining in state residency. Do we have to buy property, AND get married to a FL resident, AND work in the state for over a year to get in state residency changed from OOS to IS..? OR If we do 1 of these 3, we can still get in state residency? Thanks again.

One of the 3.

Accepted off the alternate list last Friday! :D First acceptance!

Hi Guys,
I just spoke to the admissions office & they told me they will most likely be opening up a few more interview dates!! They weren't super clear about when this will be but she said that it is in their plans as of now.

Hi Guys,
I just spoke to the admissions office & they told me they will most likely be opening up a few more interview dates!! They weren't super clear about when this will be but she said that it is in their plans as of now.

Sweeeeeeet. Thanks for the great news! I guess now is the best time to use up my third and last update if I still have it. :xf:

One of the 3.

Dr. Hinkley was pretty adamant that even if you do all 3, the statement "you cannot use time enrolled at an institution to accrue towards residency" (or something like that) makes any effort null and void, saying that even if I bought property, got married, and/or had 12 months employment, I could not get in state residency b/c of that rule.

Please tell me he was wrong.

Dr. Hinkley was pretty adamant that even if you do all 3, the statement "you cannot use time enrolled at an institution to accrue towards residency" (or something like that) makes any effort null and void, saying that even if I bought property, got married, and/or had 12 months employment, I could not get in state residency b/c of that rule.

Please tell me he was wrong.

Here is an official guide that I found that helps to explain matters. I am no expert by any means but the only clear way I saw to become a FL resident after you start attending classes would be to 1) Join the FL national guard or 2) Marry a FL resident and then become a FL resident yourself. Any way, check it out and see if you can find any loop holes.

http://facts23.facts.org/florida/fa...EGiCu4eXgbezoaexmb6fR35uqn5Bdnaao6OiIgAjQwmG/

I just received my acceptance:love:. I am looking for roommate(s), anyone interested (sorry only females)?
I was accepted last week too! I'm so excited because I really loved FAU after my interview experience. Has anyone seen any sort of group or forum or Facebook for the incoming class of 2016? I'm getting really curious about who I'll be spending the next four years with!

Status
Not open for further replies.