2011-2012 LSU - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're using the hospital's bandwidth. All the same network. Honestly, it's not a big deal. Probably a positive - somewhere to go study and have internet temptation at least somewhat removed.

Yah. I think I remember someone also telling me that before they implemented the current policy they were having network crashes due to the excessive bandwidth usage. So a lot of downtime ensued. All of the imaging studies (x-rays and stuff) are transferred over the local network, which was gumming up because of the excessive non-essential bandwidth being used.

Also, something about because it is the hospital network, we are subject to whatever legislative policies that are made. Some of those policies involve using the network for work activity only and stuff like that.

---

But it's really not a big deal. It's hard to get flagged unless you are on campus all day long and are youtubing, watching live streams, tracking fantasy sports, etc. Usually the people who get flagged are the ones who live in the dorms because some of them don't pony up for Cox internet.

Members don't see this ad.

II for Jan 23rd today after being complete since mid august...so excited!! Geaux Tigers!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been complete since August as well.

Hoping for some acceptance love this week! :xf:

got interview invite! finally

was complete on 12/05

YAY for winter break. Good luck to those waithing for letters/acceptances, and congrats to those who've already been accepted. Hope to see y'all next year :)

To those applying as OOS, some advice from a fellow OOS: New Orleans is REALLY different from many major US cities I've been to, so you may need to be able to fluently articulate why you want to be in New Orleans. It may be something to consider putting in the supplementary essay thing. Another thing is that I've found that many things are uniquely "southern" or "louisianian". Some lecturers really like using this stuff as examples in class, so it was a bit of an adjustment for me.. lots of wikipedia-ing. (For example.. what is hogcheese? <- used in MIP..). Last thing.. we don't get a spring break in the traditional sense because we get a couple days off for Mardi Gras, and then a couple days later in the spring semester as a spring break. I personally like it, because it gives me more "relax" time during the semester and not just one solid chunk.

Happy holidays.. I'm gonna go spend my break where there's a REAL winter.. like where there's snow and cold and stuff.. haha:D

Received my acceptance letter today, interviewed on December 12th.

28 MCAT
4.0 GPA

Yah. I think I remember someone also telling me that before they implemented the current policy they were having network crashes due to the excessive bandwidth usage. So a lot of downtime ensued. All of the imaging studies (x-rays and stuff) are transferred over the local network, which was gumming up because of the excessive non-essential bandwidth being used.

Also, something about because it is the hospital network, we are subject to whatever legislative policies that are made. Some of those policies involve using the network for work activity only and stuff like that.

---

But it's really not a big deal. It's hard to get flagged unless you are on campus all day long and are youtubing, watching live streams, tracking fantasy sports, etc. Usually the people who get flagged are the ones who live in the dorms because some of them don't pony up for Cox internet.

ah yes. and yet--somehow--every other university on earth has sorted out how to do this without draconian (and, in my estimation, entirely arbitrary) rules and penalties.

ah yes. and yet--somehow--every other university on earth has sorted out how to do this without draconian (and, in my estimation, entirely arbitrary) rules and penalties.

Sounds like they need to party like it's 2009 and buy some gigabit routers. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted via snail mail today!! Best early Christmas present ever!

Stats:
OOS, 3.3, 38Q

Completed Secondary: 7/26
Interviewed: 12/14
Accepted: 12/22

This is my new top choice! See you next year :)

Just received my acceptance letter today in the mail!

Stats:
Graduated UC Irvine 2008: 2.9 GPA :rolleyes:
Graduated SMP @ Mississippi College (pretty small and unknown) 2011: 4.0 GPA
MCAT 2008: 30O 8, 10, 12 (V, PS, BS)
EC: 1.5 years volunteering, 1 year research, 2 years EMT, 2.5 years in fraternity with leadership positions

Completed: 11/8
Interview invite: 11/9
Interview: 12/6

For those who already had an interview, try to not worry too much. I thought my first interview was terrible. It was about 10 minutes long and it felt like I was interviewing him more than anything. The only question he asked me was about my Masters program. Overall, the interview experience was great. The facilities are amazing and the students seem really happy and helpful. Dr. Eubanks said they interview about 450 (I may be off) and that most seats are offered around February. So keep your head up everybody and good luck!

Just received my acceptance letter today in the mail!

Stats:
Graduated UC Irvine 2008: 2.9 GPA :rolleyes:

:highfive:

Better than mine :laugh:

Great to see another comeback kid in the mix! Now if we can just get to work fixing that screenname... :rolleyes:

Are you completely OOS or originally from La?

I'm your one of a kind Asian from California.

I will definitely be rooting for the Saints more, except when the Niners have to knock them out of the playoffs.

Interview for Jan 18th

Complete since August, I'm sooooooo excited, really didn't expect an interview, (26 N, 3.7)

Just looking towards the future, anyone have any good links to information about housing throughout New Orleans? I know there are a ton of places to live, with varying degrees of cost. I also don't know anything about traffic in NOLA, so I guess proximity won't always indicate convenience. Any information would be great!

Just looking towards the future, anyone have any good links to information about housing throughout New Orleans? I know there are a ton of places to live, with varying degrees of cost. I also don't know anything about traffic in NOLA, so I guess proximity won't always indicate convenience. Any information would be great!

There is a ton of housing in the city. New Orleans is small and everything is close so don't feel like you need to rent/buy a place RIGHT by the school. You can easily get to campus in 10-15 minutes if you live in most places in the city. I live uptown off Magazine and it takes me only 10 min with traffic to get there.

As far as cost, Mid-City is cheaper than uptown. A one bedroom uptown might be about $900/month. The CBD is crazy expensive for no real reason. I mean a one bedroom there could be like $1800/month. There are mostly upscale new condos there, so I guess that's why. Not worth it in my opinion. The quarter/marigny is cool but there is more traffic and it's not exactly conducive to studying, but you can make it work if you're disciplined. bywater/st. claude starts to be a little far but it's cheaper to live in. I really do NOT recommend the burbs - Metairie, Kenner, even Lakeview or Gentilly. They are far and isolated and there's not a lot to do there when you don't want to study.

hope that helps a little. check craiglist, there's always a ton of places listed there. That's how I found my old apartment and most people find their places that way. Or just walk around a neighborhood you like and look for For Rent signs.

(Good) housing goes fast. Craigslist has good stuff come up, but when you're looking, refresh the page every 20-30 min and call to schedule appointments asap.

Also try padmapper.com.

One thing about New Orleans is the neighborhood changes from street to street so check out the area before looking at apartments. Also many places do not have off street parking so you need to check out the parking options.

Congrats on all who got accepted so far! Still waiting to hear anything, and I've been complete since late October...I'm not holding my breath at this point, but I wanted to ask, would it be in bad form to call the admissions office and ask about my status? :confused: Would they even be able to tell me anything, such as whether or not I've already been rejected or waitlisted, or if I'm somewhere along the line to get an interview? I've tried to be patient, but I've heard nothing from them in 3 months and it's starting to wear at my nerves a bit.

Congrats on all who got accepted so far! Still waiting to hear anything, and I've been complete since late October...I'm not holding my breath at this point, but I wanted to ask, would it be in bad form to call the admissions office and ask about my status? :confused: Would they even be able to tell me anything, such as whether or not I've already been rejected or waitlisted, or if I'm somewhere along the line to get an interview? I've tried to be patient, but I've heard nothing from them in 3 months and it's starting to wear at my nerves a bit.

You can call the admissions office to ask about the status of your application on Thursdays from 1:00-4:00, I believe. They will most likely will only tell you that your file is complete and still under review. They will not tell you over the phone much more than that. Also, you would not be on a "waitlist" at this point. You would have to interview first and then they set the official waitlist in a few months once the spots are close to being filled, which usually doesn't happen until March. Also, you haven't been rejected because if you were they would have sent you a letter. Trust me...Don't worry yet!!! They interview all the way through April, so there is still plenty of time to hear something. This is my third time applying to LSU-NO, so let's just say I'm fairly familiar with the process. It is extremely nerve wracking and will drive you up the wall...just be patient! One thing I recommend is to send them a letter updating your file of whatever you have been up to lately or what you about to become involved in, and that may not be reflected on your AMCAS or secondaries. Also, if you have any coursework from the Fall, send them your transcripts. They will add any new information to your file and this keeps reminding the admissions committee that you are still out there. GOOD LUCK! :luck:

You can call the admissions office to ask about the status of your application on Thursdays from 1:00-4:00, I believe. They will most likely will only tell you that your file is complete and still under review. They will not tell you over the phone much more than that. Also, you would not be on a "waitlist" at this point. You would have to interview first and then they set the official waitlist in a few months once the spots are close to being filled, which usually doesn't happen until March. Also, you haven't been rejected because if you were they would have sent you a letter. Trust me...Don't worry yet!!! They interview all the way through April, so there is still plenty of time to hear something. This is my third time applying to LSU-NO, so let's just say I'm fairly familiar with the process. It is extremely nerve wracking and will drive you up the wall...just be patient! One thing I recommend is to send them a letter updating your file of whatever you have been up to lately or what you about to become involved in, and that may not be reflected on your AMCAS or secondaries. Also, if you have any coursework from the Fall, send them your transcripts. They will add any new information to your file and this keeps reminding the admissions committee that you are still out there. GOOD LUCK! :luck:

Thanks for your reply, knowing that they interview all the way through April makes me feel a bit better! Gonna try to keep being patient for now and just focus on what I'm doing to improve my application.

On an even lower note, what a sad sad game :(

Thanks for your reply, knowing that they interview all the way through April makes me feel a bit better! Gonna try to keep being patient for now and just focus on what I'm doing to improve my application.

On an even lower note, what a sad sad game :(

and in their own backyard too...:thumbdown:

To all those who interviewed this month...the committee meets this Friday, correct?

Waiting on an interview invite also! LSUNO is my top choice so I'm praying for their favor every freaggin day!!

would be nice to hear about interview invites as well haha i feel like there hasn't been any for a while lol

Any news?? Any acceptances? They should be sending out letters this week via snail mail.

They interview all the way through April:luck:

Is this based on previous years' fora or is it listed somewhere? Just curious, still waiting on an invite. Also, if we've made it this far is that an indication of an interview? Wondering how generous LSU is with the pre-interview rejections. My gut tells me not very.

Is this based on previous years' fora or is it listed somewhere? Just curious, still waiting on an invite.

Not just previous threads but also the interview spiel. You'll see. :)

Also, if we've made it this far is that an indication of an interview? Wondering how generous LSU is with the pre-interview rejections. My gut tells me not very.

I didn't get an interview my first time. They kept me waiting until March or April.

I know that's not what you want to hear but my first time I was in such bad shape it was pretty much a garbage app so take that with a big pile of salt. Don't panic! :luck:

Here are a couple of notes I took from the interview. I'm not sure if it's been posted anywhere, but I hope it helps.

March 30th - All spots offered
February 10 - No Further Action meeting
May 15 - when students need to pick one acceptance seat
After May 15, you can call the office to arrange an appointment to go over your application

Is this based on previous years' fora or is it listed somewhere?.

I have down that April 11th is currently the last scheduled interview date. But they also said that there's always the possibility of adding new dates.

Just FYI, for anyone who cares.

I have down that April 11th is currently the last scheduled interview date. But they also said that there's always the possibility of adding new dates.

Just FYI, for anyone who cares.

Last year I gave a tour that just popped up on some Thursday (when they don't even give tours) and interviewees said they had just heard the week before. Cafeteria didn't know what to do - they kept saying "there aren't any interviews on Thursdays..."

I got an interview invite today as well! Scheduled for march 5 because I wanted a Monday. In state, 31O, 3.59

Good luck to everyone!

How my NFA people doing? Meeting is coming up and I think I'm close to a mental breakdown:laugh:

How my NFA people doing? Meeting is coming up and I think I'm close to a mental breakdown:laugh:

So is there a review meeting coming up for people who interviewed in the fall but received a NFA letter? If so, When? Do they send another update letter even if you get another NFA?

First test day. I've been slacking up to this point and haven't done the reading for either class. I go to take a shower but the communal bathroom is full, also somebody's kinda hunting me or something, but I evade them. Anyway, my plan is to strip down to a towel outside one bathroom, leave my clothes and effects behind, and then run to another bathroom, which means I need to run up a giant flight of stairs, all the way around the coliseum-shaped campus, against the huge flow of people who are on the way to the first class. Get to the other bathroom, it's also full, so I wash my hair in the sink and run back to get my clothes, now I'm late and trying to make my way to class, run down a flight of stairs (this way I figure out what the right direction is at least) only to end up in the wrong place. Turns out this isa crazy double-helix stairwell and I went down the steps that lead to some kind of catwalk, which I'm now running around on, and all of the people in the class I'm already late for are yelling at me that I'm not supposed to be there. I turn around and run into the professor, who's very nice but tells me that in order to get to where I'm supposed to be I need to run to Bourbon and then take a trolley followed by a gondola all the way to the top of the coliseum and then go back down. And I still need to read along the way!

Then a student suspiciously stops me and asks what my college GPA was, and suddenly I'm wide awake.

this-is-relevant-to-my-interests.jpg

Does anyone remember what date in February Dr. Eubanks said the first advocates meeting is?

Status
Not open for further replies.